Mephistopheles' Stout | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Mephistopheles is the crafty shape shifter, the second fallen angel. Amazingly complex, coal black, velvety and liqueurish, this demon has a bouquet of vine-ripened grapes, anise and chocolate covered cherries with flavors of rum-soaked caramelized dark fruits and a double espresso finish. Cellarable for 10+ years.

Mephistopheles is the final installment of “The Demons of Ale” series.

Food pairing: We like Mephistopheles’ Stout with chocolate (60% cocoa or more), chocolate lava cake, flourless chocolate cake, tiramisu or traditional fruit cake made with rum-soaked fruits.

Malt Varieties:

Sterling

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006

Ratings: 2,329 |  Reviews: 907
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Mephistopheles’ Stout. 2008 Bottle. Into Duvel glass on Dec 11, 2011.

Appearance: 4
Dense opaque black with creamy head, that fades to thin covering.

Aroma: 4
Very malty. Get notes of candy sugar and dark fruits ( esp raisons). Hint of roasted malt.

Taste: 4
Initially get sweet dark fruits, then it changes into candy sugar and roastiness, with detectable bitterness of the hops. Finishes with a mild bitterness, and mild thick rich roasted malt presence. Taste is a lot less sweet than the nose would suggest.

I imagine that the age has mellowed out some of the hotness of alcohol, but there still a quite detectable warmth to the alcohol. This lends to a full-body flavor

Mouthfeel 3.5
Moderate thickness with mild carbonation. Lacking a little bit of creaminess.

Overall 4
Very full bodies and rich stout. Intense flavours. Overall quite good, but given high alcohol content and thickness it is definitely a sipper. Has good aging potential.
Recommend to try.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Nov 2008 vintage

The beer is black with a quarter inch of beige head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass. The aroma brings oak, malt, roast, subtle alcohol. The flavor is rich and full. Lots of oak and roast. Warming alcohol in the finish, but the beer is surprisingly gentle for the extremely high abv. At just over three years old, this has matured gracefully. I highly recommend cellaring and patience, giving this beer the time to mellow and develop, as it is quite a bit better with some years spent in the cellar.

4.26/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

How can you come across this label and not be intrigued. I was a tad hesitant though when I saw the name Avery. I haven't particularly enjoyed too many of their brews I've tried. When I saw that this MF'er was 16.43% I knew I had to try it. If not just for the specificity of that ABV.

It kind of felt like i was pouring out a demons soul. The blackness of this beer cascading over the torn blood red wrapper on the edge of the bottle prepared me for the beast I was about to unleash on my palate. There was a small amount of dark brown foam but it quickly faded to bubbles, almost as if the gravity of this beer was pulling in those trying to escape.

It smelled like booze.

After admiring the label and darkness of this monster I finally put glass to lips and took a taste. I was immediately hit with a punch of alcohol hotness. This would normally turn me off, but this time I embraced it. I actually enjoyed it. The alcohol then did an unexpected trick and slowly started to fade away into the roasty tasty I was hoping for. This taste was not very pronounced like some other stouts but it kept evolving slowly over my warmed palate. It changed from a roast, almost but not quite coffee taste into a full on smokey finish. I was impressed with what I had just experienced and continued on. I poured this fairly cold for a stout, so I figured I would finish it off after letting it warm a bit. This was a mistake... the hotness that I enjoyed became to pronounced. I plan on getting another bottle to age and take off some of that alcohol, but I recommend trying it fresh for those who have not yet. It's a fun experience just drink it colder than you would a normal stout. Sounds strange I know but you will get all the great stout tastes when its chilled without as much booze. After I put some years on it I will drink it less cold for sure.. at that point it should be fantastic.

Overall. Drink Beer.

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

12 oz. bottle (2008 vintage) poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Inky black hole and totally impermeable to light.Thin cap of moderately dark brown foam which has decent retention. Shows some legs due to high alcohol content.

Aroma-Burnt toast, brown bread crusts, chocolate liqueur, and a healthy dose of caramel. Rich booze, pepper, and chocolate lava cake. Background notes of burnt toffee, blackstrap molasses, and raisins. As it warms, candied plums and black licorice emerge. Don't take this wrong way, but this beer smells like sex with luscious, boozy brownie batter. Devastatingly awesome.

Flavor-Substantially different than the aroma, but still intense and awesome. Molten chocolate lava cake with fudgy, boozy chocolate liqueur. Substantial roast flavor with hints of espresso. Some peppery spice and substantial booze. Caramel is much lighter here and the dried fruit is almost entirely absent. Moderate hop bitterness in the finish blends with warming alcohol to dry out all that gooey malt sweetness. Decadent and awesome.

Mouthfeel-Viscous and chewy with moderately low carbonation and substantial alcohol warmth. No longer hot, as the age has helped to tame the alcohol.

Delicious, decadent, and awesome. Ive had this young several times and it's a bit too intense, with heavy hopping, syruppy body, and hot alcohol. However, at three years out, it's really starting to hit it's stride. It's awesome, and it will only continue to get better.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Had on-tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA. Poured into a 5.5oz snifter. Impenetrable black with a lovely chocolate head that retained well and left very nice lacing. Had an aroma of dark/roasty malts, coffee and bitter cocoa. Tasted roasty with bitterness from dark cocoa taste and coffee. Alcohol burn is felt, but the ABV is blended well into this one, just as it is with Mephaddict.

Mouthfeel is full, bitter, dry and warming on the palate from the ABV. Unfortunately not nearly as smooth as Mephaddict, but still a delicious brew. Only got one of these and I think that was enough for me.

First had: ?
Seems I've have this before and just never reviewed it. This review is from a recent tasting at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Poured into a little 5.5oz. snifter, a dark brown-black, seemingly impervious to light, with a creamy tan head that reduced to a ringlet, leaving some lacing behind. Aroma of roast, dark malts, coffee, and ash. Taste thick with roastiness, dark malts, cocoa bitterness, oily licorice, notes of coffee, dark fruits, citrus pith. Alcohol is definitely present, though felt more than tasted. Full-bodied, roasty, pretty smooth, but would probably benefit from aging to take some of the bitter/roasty edge off, much like the Mephaddict. Nice and drinkable overall.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Live review, 2011 bottle into tulip glass...

This is not my first experience with this monster however it is my first solo attempt... I have shared a 2007 vintage recently as well as a 2011 bottle at a recent tasting get together... I felt the 2007 felt faded as compared to the 2011 and wanted to open one of my '11 bottles for the review as a result... All notes are for '11 bottle.

Appearance; poured into a 16 ounce tulip, two fingers worth of oak colored head which faded fairly quickly into a "bullseye" shaped ring of lace with a dot in the center... Moderate lace on the sides of the glass, beer is a solid black and even when held to light I can't see through it. In smaller portions it didn't appear this dark.

Smell; I get a ton of coffee on the nose of this, hints of toast and soy sauce and surprisngly no alchohol... The lack of alcohol is consistent with both of my previous experiences with this beer.

Taste; taste is in line with smell, although I can't taste any soy sauce... Hints of maple and smoke and a touch of vanilla and chocolate accompany the dominating coffee flavor quite nicely... Not a hint of the alcohol monster I know to be lurking in this brew until the finish, when a touch of booziness shows up for a moment and then disappears... Goes down smooth with no warming or afterburn...

Mouthfeel; quite smooth given the ABV in this beer, a very slight carbonation, not overwhelming by any means, but nicely compliments the taste of the beer. I don't think it's overly syrupy or viscous by any stretch but I've been really doing a number with some super thick beers lately (Labyrinth, Utopias, Black Tuesday are standouts) so I think that is a big part of why Mephistopheles doesn't seem so thick to me.

Overall; my final impressions on this beer are outstanding. I feel like the content may lure some people in for the novelty of it however on its own merit this beer isn't a sideshow freak, but rather a monster beer jammed and locked into a tiny bottle. I can see how some would be overwhelmed with the content or reputation of this beer however I think that this would be an extremely solid beer even without those. I will say that the age on the 07 really numbed this brew down for me... I far prefer the liveliness and more in your face flavors within the 11 version and will likely track down several more bottles to drink fresh. I've only got one left and I enjoy this beer quite a lot!!

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Thick and syrupy. Jet Black. Thick brown head.

S: Chocolate, malts, booze, coffee, more jops fresh on tap. Very excited to try this... bartender said it was tapped 2 days ago.

T: Lots of booze with a chocolaty bitter aftertaste. Hops come through a lot more - I like this one better fresh.

F: Very thick and rich. Burns soo good.

D: I've had this with a couple years on it and now fresh... I'll go fresh anyday. The booze mellows very slowly and the hop loss is not worth it.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

served on tap, I assume the newest vintage.

black black black, like used motor oil, with dark tan head. good head retention and lacing for such a strong beer. big bold aromas - espresso, dark fruit, molasses.

Taste is also huge and complex, and improves as the beer warms. roasty, dark bitter cocoa, coffee, dark rum. boozy. thick body, soft carbonation.

overall, one of my favorite beers, if you can get an aged bottle, it's a must try for big stout lovers.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

A: This pours a motor oil black with a nice brown head that is a few fingers thick.

S: The beer isnt as strong as I was expecting. I get a strong amount of roasted malt, some booze and a sort of graham cracker smell.

T: Lots of smokey roasted malt, some chocolate and coffee flavors and a nice warm booze finish. The more you drink it, the more flavors start to seperate and you can pick up different. I am getting a lot of cigar, some raisin and even a weird plum flavor.

M: The beer is pretty darn smooth and goes down easy. For as much alcohol it has, I was expecting it to be a little harsher.

O: I want to give this a higher rating, but the cigar flavor lingers way too long. Everything else is pretty darn good with the beer, but the cigar taste is just a little too overpowering.

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz bottle shared with my gf. batch #4, bottled in nov. 2008.
snifter. label claims 15.92% abv.

a - pours a thick, greasy, dark brown. beer is totally opaque with a thin film of brown head that dissipates quick. leaves a few small spots of lacing.

s - very sweet. strong raisin, roasted malt. faint tobacco, leather and dark cherry. strong alcohol presence.

t - damn is this rich. huge roasted malt character with some dark fruits and a massive sugary sweetness. a bit of fresh pumpernickel with a lot of alcohol taste. no discernable hop character.

m - thick with little carbonation. chewy. slight alcohol burn.

o - this one is a bruiser. really can't imagine finishing a whole bottle of this by myself. enjoyable but still feels heavy handed, even after having three years to calm down.

Mephistopheles' Stout from Avery Brewing Company