Ellie's Brown Ale | Avery Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-28-2002

Ratings: 2,127 |  Reviews: 713
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

I picked up a can of Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a new Brown Ale to try and since I thought the other canned beer I had from Avery was pretty good so I decided to give this brew a try, lets see how it goes. No visible freshness date. Poured from a brown 12oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks pretty good, its got a nice picture of a Chocolate Lab on it and I like how it says it's Lab Tested. It poured a nice light brown color that turned into a ruby red color when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing.

S- The first thing that I pick up in the aroma is a large amount of toasted malts that impart a nice caramel like aroma along with some brown bread and it had a medium amount of sweetness to it. I get a nice nutty aroma along with a slight amount of dark fruits. At the end I pick up a pretty noticeable amount of earthy hoppyness.

T- The beer starts off just like the aroma did with lot of toasted malts that impart some nice caramel and brown bread flavors. Next comes a slight amount of earthy hoppyness that is quickly overpowered by a nice nutty flavor that carries on over to the aftertaste and really sticks in my mouth. The flavors are pretty good and nutty, this could easily be called a Nut Brown.

M- Really smooth, on the light side of being medium bodied, and it had a nice amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel fit this beer nicely.

Overall I thought that this was pretty damn good American Brown Ale. It had a pretty nice malt profile to it and the extra nuttiness in this beer was pretty good, it was so nutty that I think it should be called Ellie's Nut Brown Ale. This beer had very good drinkability for an American Brown Ale, it went down really smooth, had a good mouthfeel, and it had enough flavor to keep me wanting to drink it. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor and the mouthfeel, the malt profile was dead on for an American Brown Ale, and I really like the extra nuttiness in this beer and the mouthfeel was right where it should be. There wasn't really anything I didn't like about this beer, no complaints here. I will buy this beer again, the extra nuttiness makes this a good beer for late fall or early winter. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes Brown Ales, and if you like them nutty then you will really like this beer. So far I have been pretty impressed with the beers that Avery puts in cans, they have all been pretty exceptional for their style. I am having a fun time checking out Avery's beers, I just picked up a bottle of their quad so I hope it is just as impressive as this beer is. Great job Avery, keep it up.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Good to see more Avery cans showing up. Pours a dark brown color with two+ fingers of tan head that held on for a long time. The head slowly settles to a thin cap. Large amount of sticky lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma of heavy toasted malt, a bit nutty and earthy as well.

Straight forward malt flavor. Like the aroma nothing really interesting going on. Most interesting is a roasted nuttiness coming in near the finish. Clean flavors.

Medium body with beautiful carbonation. Soft and smooth. Gives this beer a very good texture.

Good to see this in cans, but the beer iself is not interesting enough to make me revisit this often.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%