Ellie's Brown Ale | Avery Brewing Company

IBU's: 17

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-28-2002

Ratings: 2,144 |  Reviews: 717

This tasted off

Pours a dark brown color, some carbonation, tiny head, some lacing afterwards. The scents are of sweet malts, and caramel. The taste is pretty much of malts, and caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad of a brew, but I doubt if I will buy it again. Would recommend thought YMMV.

Who cares what the beer tastes like… I love the label. I don’t like dogs (except for Sophie) but I love this label for some reason. It’s cool that this is named after an actual dog. It’s Avery’s dog, from Avery Brewing Company. Anyway, let’s get to the beer.

In the Glass: It’s rather thick in the glass, and doesn’t have much head to speak of. It does have a good Belgian lace though. (See what I did there?) It’s dark, almost black in the glass, and looks like a flat soda pop after the subtle head settles.

Nose: At first it smells like any other brown should. But then you are hit with the cold caramel aroma that is hard to pull away from. The “cold” part is hard for me to explain, but when you stick your nose in the glass (not actually IN the glass) you will see what I mean. It leaves the nose with a hint of pine needles/nutty aromas.

Flavor: There is a ton of flavor all around the palate when you first take a drink. It then settles around the outside of your tongue and slides down the throat with a weak but subtle aftertaste. It’s not very carbonated, and is a lot easier to drink than say, a Newcastle. It’s only 5.5% ABV, but these could sneak up on you in a hurry.

Mouthfeel: It feels almost flat on the tongue. We drank this right out of the fridge, and I feel that a beer like this would get better as it reaches room temperature. But the mouthfeel is weak and leaves little to be desired. It’s the flavors I am after.

Aftertaste: There isn’t much of an aftertaste, but what is there is solid. It has the same nutty nuance that you got on the nose, and the burp also reminds me of pine needles. Not sure where the whole pine needles thing comes from, but this is a good winter beer.

I dig it. I like the logo, and while I am not a huge fan of a brown I would totally order this one again. Especially when it’s cold outside!

This seems like an example of a standard brown Ale. It is malty and nutty with some hints of semi sweet chocolate. Pretty easy drinking wih a manageable ABV. nb

Ellie's Brown Ale from Avery Brewing Company