Old Jubilation | Avery Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Ratings: 1,720 |  Reviews: 809
2.45/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer poured a deep brown, with a thin tan head. The aroma reminded me of sour milk, with mild fumes of alcohol coming through.

The taste overall was overpowered by the very bitter hops, which were extremely present in the finish. The alcohol came through as well. Some notes of toasted nuts, malt and unsweetened chocolate were somewhere in there, but at times muddled in the hops and alcohol. I couldn't taste any spices often associated with winter warmers.

I can see why some might enjoy this, but for one who enjoys more malty & spiced winter warmers, this isn't my beer.

2.48/5  rDev -35.6%

Served from the bottle into a tulip glass

A- Poured a dark brown color with two finger soapy off-white head. Left some minimal lace.

S- Sweet aroma, breadiness, kind of faint aroma. It does smell like some beer bread I made a couple months ago.

T- Sweet maltiness, breadiness, barley, and medicinal flavors. Alcohol taste is pretty strong.

M- Syrupy, very little carbonation, quite a bit of heat and alcohol

O- Overall a pretty boozy beer with heavy medicinal flavors. Not very drinkable.

2.49/5  rDev -35.3%

12oz, no date
Pours a dull semi-clear brown with a very thin head. Aroma is sweet, dark brown sugar. Taste has a bit of the brown sugar, but more overripe fruit. Fruit rapidly gives way to a very alcoholic, solvent finish. A bit of harshly astringent (hops?) flavors come out as it warms. Not enjoyable. I'll pass on this one next time.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.56/5  rDev -33.5%

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Dark mahogany in color. Head isn't exciting, but a film does stay throughout.

Bready malts and some faint spices (nutmeg and cinnamon) along with a little molasses on the nose.

Tastes quite dry. The toffee note is noticeable...almost comes across as a caramel apple. Finishes short; only a little alcohol warmth and a faint bitterness barely lingers.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side. Carbonation is more or less average, if not a little lacking.

Overall this one's OK. Wouldn't purchase it again, but nice enough to try.

2.64/5  rDev -31.4%

on tap at the dirty truth

clear, dark brown with ruby sparkles. no head, but cavernously cascading lace lingers in lascivious layers. aroma is plum weird. speaking of plums, they're there.. plus grapes. something creamy like an artificial vanilla milkshake complements an almond nutty waft. confusing, not really appetizing. scotch aley at first, then the grape takes over followed by scratchy hop earthiness. sorely lacking in a resiny juiciness which would provide some balance and cover the sweet astringency here. unbalanced and existing blandly between strong ale styles. fails to define itself with substance or spice. there might be some bitterness like raw nutmeg or cinnamon stick, but it's not flavorful. will not repeat.

2.69/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle picked up at Vintage Estate, poured into my Church Brew Works pint glass.

A: Ruby Red, trending towards "light brown", with a pleasant 1-fingers worth off-white head on top that stuck around well and left nice lacing on my glass.

S: Very malty. Barley sweetness. Maybe a twinge of nutmeg? Whatever it is, the predominant smell I'm picking up on reminds me of a scotch ale.

T: Tastes like scotch ale, too. Sweet. Very sweet. Lots barley and bready sweetness. A touch of holiday spice underneath. I'm not sure if it's the standard "cinnamon and nutmeg" or not, but that's my best guess. Alcohol is mildly detectable near the middle of the taste.

I want to give this beer a fair shake, but I have to admit, almost immediately, that this is not "my style" of beer. "Malt bomb" would be the phrase that comes to mind if I were being derogatory. Sweet. Sweet sweet sweet. Cloyingly sweet. The breadiness doesn't "balance it out" for me. The spice is the one redeeming quality that's helping me from really docking this beer.

M: Mouthfeel is very good. I'd like a touch more carbonation (which held me back from giving it a 4.5), but CO2 is present, and this beer does cream up nicely in the mouth, and leaves a lot of dry sticky flavors behind on the finish.

D/O: I guess I'm just a beer drinker who likes/wants either big hop/citrus/floral/pine/bitter flavors, or big dark roasted/coffee flavors (and sometimes both of those together), or something "belgian". This beer is none of those things. My gut is telling me that, for what this is (with my limited experience with such styles, as based on my preferences, I generally avoid beers like this), this is fairly good. It's just not good FOR ME.

2.69/5  rDev -30.1%

12oz from a 6-pack. Poured into a snifter.

One of the last bottled non-large-format beers I expect to buy from Avery, as they are mid-switch to can-town, on the heels of Oskar Blues, Ska, Wynkoop and Upslope.

L: Walnut brown, little head. Looks a bit cloudy, but the pour is a touch cold ...

S: Cold, a little musty. Slight sweetness, slight dankness. Not much going on here all in all.

T: Smooth sweet into a raw meat center. Backs off into unabashed booziness. The 8.3% is more noticeable here than the 15% in Meph. 8.3% here is like tits on a bull.

F: Real thick, creamy. Avery always nails the feel for me.

D: Take it or leave it ... I'll leave it for the most part.

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

Clear dark ruby colored pour. Smell is slightly chocolately malt but not a rich roasty chocolate smell. Taste is the same, except with an unpleasant alcohol taste to finish. No need for this to taste as alcoholic as it does, and it really detracts from the decent flavor. Still, overall it's thin, boring and the alcohol doesn't fit well. Unimpressed.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The high alcohol content dominates the taste for me.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured a orangey-brown with a half-finger of head, there was light lacing. The smell was nutty and pleasant enough but the taste was surprisingly aggressive and bitter, especially the finish. I wanted to like this because I like their other offerings, but I didn't even finish this one.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

The appearance wasn't very clear.

The smell was average

The taste was hoppy and aggressive. It wasn't that great though. It wasn't a relaxing Christmas taste.

The mouthfeel was nice, but I didn't take many notes about it.

Overall, it wasn't enjoyable because of the taste. I like Avery Brewing Company. Why can't they do better than this?

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

2011 Edition

A: dark pecan ale with some orange hues. a finger of off-tan foam falls to a sheet of the same. Excellent clarity. Spot lace.
S: Sweet, slightly molasses malts are nice. No real hop presence here for me.
T: The alcohol is evident here initially (off-putting for me). Some pecan flavors. Some licorice (so faint).
M: thin with moderate carb and semi dry finish.
O: Decent beer. I like it as the third or fourth for the night, a little unrefined for the premier drink.

2.85/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

old jubilation
3.5 murky brown with a crazy big pillowy head
3.5 smells of citrus, sweet toasted malt, and some sort of odd alcoholic varnishy scent
2.5 roasty up tops, some citrus hops on the tongue, but overall more numbing than tasty. a vague sweetness builds up as the glass is gradually emptied. the roastiness becomes more and more disconnected, as does the hoppiness.
3 overcarbonated medium+ body
2.5 on the positive side, there are some things going on. but they don't come together harmoniously. this definitely reminds me of one of my old homebrew experiments that went a bit awry. i've had every bottle of a sixpack over the course of several months, and still can't figure out why this beer is rated so well.

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

2010 Edition.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark cherry wood color with ruby highlights and a 1 finger creamy light tan head. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Sweet and earthy malts with a touch of fruit and spice. There's also a slight bitterness that I can't quite decipher. Aroma is a bit lighter than I expected.

Taste: Sweet malt up front followed by mild dark fruits in the middle and ending with an astringent dark leafy bitterness at the finish. Aftertaste is bitter toasted malt. The flavor is not well-balanced, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. The alcohol warmth is missing so I wouldn't consider this a winter warmer.

Drinkability: Okay drinkability. The harsh flavor keeps me from wanting another.

Overall: Average beer overall. There are better options available in this style.

Old Jubilation from Avery Brewing Company