Old Jubilation | Avery Brewing Company

Style: Old Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Reviews: 796 | Ratings: 1,656
3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance- It is a dark brown bodied beer with an average off white head.

Smell- It is sweet and roasty. It smells of honey infused malt.

Taste- I felt that this is a good basic winter beer. There are a lot of good flavors in this beer but they are all pretty basic. It is spicy but not overdone, yeasty and has a little bit of bread like aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Full and thick.

Drinkability- It is a good beer for the season, especially with desserts. "Cakes and pies"

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Blood red, crimson color. Minimal off-white head and lacing.

S: Malt and alcohol. Im getting a little bit of dried fruit and some anise.

T: Starts good and turn wierd. Up front is a nice slightly sweet toasted malt flavor. Aftertaste is a little metalic and oddly bitter. Can't say I enjoy it.

M: Average carbonation. Alcohol heat is subdued. Mouthfeel is clean and thin.

D: Outside of the odd aftertaste, this beer is surprisingly drinkable. I was excited to find this beer from Avery, as I usually enjoy their offerings, however, with all the "christmas ales," on the market, I would look elsewhere next time.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle with the ABV% conveniently missing.

Appearance: Dark mahogany color with a big off-white, whipped head. Fades quickly to a 1/8 inch covering. Sticky, mountainscape bands of lacing cling to the glass.

Smell: Malt, minerals, and very, very subtle spice maybe nutmeg and allspice.

Taste: Sweet malt, minerals, slightly bitter hops, and more subtle spice that is present, but hard to discern. Good, but not great.

Mouthfeel: Unpleasantly sticky and fairly dry. Better mouthfeel as it warms.

Drinkability: Not what I expected. The mouthfeel makes this fairly undrinkable for my tastes. I was really looking forward to this and may have built it up to much. The stickiness fades some as it warms.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark red-brown beer with a 1-1/2 finger brownish head that left some good sticking to the side of the glass.

S- Malty and sweet. It had an almost overly fruity/medicinal aroma of something like cherry syrup.

T- Much as the aroma suggests. I picked up sweet cherries and spice with a light hop finish. It still slightly reminded me of a children's cough medicine.

M- Decent feel. It had a drying effect.

D- The drinkabiltiy really masks the 8% ABV.

Overall- Despite any critical remarks in my review, it's really a solid beer. For whatever reason, the flavor just didn't really do it for me.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

12oz bottle into a heavy mug, changing it up a bit. Could not find a date on the bottle.

A- Avery Old Jubilation pours a standard copper color with brown highlights with a very impressive white- beige head from to hard a pour. Once it died it left a slice of lace with excellent lacing on the inside of the glass

S- Is pretty one sided with a bunch of roasted malts giving off a caramel scent pretty standard to the style. Maybe some dark fruits as it comes to room temp. Not sensing much in the way of hops. Very standard.

T- Follows the smell with caramel up front with some fruity esters coming along for the ride. I get a tiny hint of chocolate and cinnamon when i look for it. Lots of roasted malt flavor, no denying that. The hops are there but are blinded by the malt dominate profile. Would have liked more spices.

M- I'm getting a warming sensation as i get towards the end of this beer which is a plus. Overall this has a decent thin to medium mouthfeel with some carb, but nothing mind blowing. Alcohol shows up a bit.

D- A good effort by Avery but not something i will look for again with so many choices. The taste and mouthfeel were on the lacking side. I got through this 12oz with ease but also glad I only bought one bottle. Just not my cup of beer.

I have yet to find a Avery brew that has wowed me sadly.

3.47/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours out a woody brown, like table finished in dark brown veneer. On the edges there are more caramel colored highlights. Slimmish of white head leaves patches behind.

S: Aromas of light roast coffee, milk chocolate, the icing that goes on top of cheap crumpets, and molasses cookies…so, malty.

T: More assertive than the smell leads on to…black coffee, crème brulee, toffee. An astringent black strap rum tails in on the end.

M: Medium bodied that starts of a bit soft and then finishes with a quick sharpness/

O: Another massive malty winter brew. I’m appreciating this turn on winter seasonal - -stripped down and not dressed up with any outside spices and flavors. Just beer being beer. A good hefty winter beer that reminds you of a wool coat.

3.46/5  rDev -10.6%

(Served in a half pint glass)

A- This beer has a soapy light tan head with a warm deep brown body with just a touch of opaqueness to it. There was a very gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles.

S- This beer has a soft toasted malt and pale malt smell with a faint green hop hint in the finish.

T- The taste of dry biscuit malt had a nutty quality to it with a faint dry spice note in the finish. There was also a bitter hop note in the finish aswell. The light sweetness of malt came through more as it warmed along with a note of chocolate malt in the background.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a dry finish.

D- This beer has a slight sweetness from the malt that blends into a bitterness from the hops that don't really work with each other.

3.46/5  rDev -10.6%

I saw this when I was picking some bottles up for a trade and thought it may be worth a shot. It came across as something that's worth trying, but nothing mind-blowing. Review is from notes taken on 11/15/2010 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: As the bottle states, it certainly pours a dark mahogany color; starts with a a short, creamy, light tan head that fades immediately to nothing but a thin, faint skim; body is dark, but does show some violet-amber highlights and it doesn't appear cloudy; only a few spots of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Some sweet maltiness and light hints of toffee -- not is rather weak and comes out a little as it continues to warm, but really nothing beyond the sweet, candy root beer barrel like maltiness.

Taste: Not too bad, and a little better than the smell lets on -- nice warm toffee flavors and a bit of an earthy nuttiness; a slight hop bitterness is lingering in the back as well; comes across a little more complex than it lets on; the ABV is really minimal in flavor for something that's 8.3% and overall, it's quite sweet and it really does remind me of the candy root beer barrels.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight and comes across a little slick and oily; carbonation is light and allows the body to be fairly smooth; a thin, dry and sticky coating is left all over the mouth; the belly is left a little warm from the ABV.

Drinkability: Not too bad, nothing overly special though; good for a cool night as it does have a bit of a warming presence; the body really isn't too heavy at all either, but I do think the ABV would start to catch up if more than 2 were had in a night.

Glass - Tulip

A - Ruby/mahogany color that's clear. It hardly produced a 1-finger head that dissipated very fast. It left some nice spots on my glass.

S - Mild fruity characters like fig, pear and plum are upfront with a touch of alcohol. Mild grain and molasses notes, almost a little musky smelling to me. That's all I picked up here, sweet smelling and simple.

T - I get a bit of alcohol upfront and again as it goes down. Most of what I pick up is a one shot flavor punch of date, fig, plum, molasses, and grainy notes smashed together. The finish has a bit of leafy hop flavor and a nice noticeable bitterness that lingers just a bit. As it warmed I got a soft brown sugar quality that offered some complexity to the simple flavor profile.

M - Smooth and creamy, very soft crispness and a medium-full body.

D - This seems like a nice beer to sip, maybe 1-2 12oz bottles on a cold day. The drinkability is around average for the style but I thought the flavor profile was lacking in complexity. The aroma could have been more inviting as well, overall not bad and worth a try but I probably won't ever come back to this one.

3.46/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Dark garnet colored and not at all hazy. It is nearly black. There's a good head on there which slowly fades to a thin coating.

Smell: Musty and "brown". Whoah, I can smell alcohol very strongly. Behind that, or in between it, there may be some lightly browned caramel and some roasted grain. Man the alcohol is almost a nail polish remover smell.

Taste: Thick alcohol cough syrup is my first impression. The alcohol is warming my mouth down my throat all the way to my stomach. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. It has a dark pruney flavor, with some bitter chocolate notes. But it is really hard to taste past the alcohol - and this is only 8%? This thing definitely has an imperial taste to it, and it is very heavy. It is a deep complex mix, and I feel as though I am missing something. I will cellar a few and they should mellow for next year.

Mouthfeel: I still feel like there's some in my mouth (but there is not). This beer is as thick as can be. It is really a little too much for me in the mouthfeel department.

Drinkability: Sit by the fire and realx, it might take you a while to finish this one. With its heavy alcohol presence and thick mouthfeel, this is a very enjoyable sipping beer. I might try it with a rich smoked chipotle barbeque dish, or maybe a spicy Chinese food. But it might be best by itself after dinner.

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

A- Deep chestnut brown with a ruby shimmer. Body is very clear with a sticky beige head that scatters fairly quickly. Looks delicious.

S-Heavy spice kick dominated by nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. Just about perfect for a true winter beer.

T&M-Again, spices are the dominant force here. The spiciness of the nutmeg runs through the entire sip. The high abv also shines and puts a little too much burn on the mouth. I love the spices but at times, they can come on a bit cloying and I think that it should be balanced a little better. The bittering hops definately come through on the finish, but again seem a little out of place.

D-I would have liked this to come on a little stronger in the malt field to come across as a huge, full-bodied, winter brew, but was a little overdone by the spices and hops. Probably great after sitting a year.

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer it, has a mahogany color body with a very small head. Ths aroma has a dark fruit and cherry smell to it. The taste has a deep dark fruit taste and some sweetness also. The mouthfeel is nice and overall a good sippin beer. This isn't my favorite style, but this is one of the better ones I have had.

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle cracked open and poured into chalice. Very little head arose, even with a rough pour. There is quite a bit of carbonation however, as a stream of bubbles race from the bottom to the top of the glass ever inch or so around the circumference. The very minimal head reduces to a very thing ring around the glass and this absolutely beautiful white spider web pattern of foam across the middle. The color is burnt cherry oak, rich mahogany and leather bound books. This is a damn fine looking beer.
Oh how looks can be deceiving. The nose on this one very malty, toasted grains, roasty and maybe, maybe, a slight spiciness. Really not much going on here.
The taste has me picking up on sweet malts, roasty flavors, alcohol presence, toffee, caramel and maybe some resemblance of hop bitterness in the aftermath. It reminds me very much of a barely wine. I find myself enjoying this one a little more as it warms.
The mouthfeel is surprisingly thinner than I was expecting. Carbonation is decent and is relatively smooth on the palate. This would seemingly make it more drinkable but the heavy malts and inherent alcohol bring it back down. This one is definitely something to warm you on a cold winter night. While there are superior winter warmers, more easily available, I did enjoy this one and thought it was pretty good.

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Deep ruby colored ale that pours smooth with a bit of foamy/creamy head. Thick rings of lacing.

S: A heavy spicy malt aroma with cinnamon and cardamom coming to the front.

T: Malts and some light hops fill the mouth. As I roll the flavor around, I find cascade hops and caramel malts. The spices are also evident, but more muted than they are in many winter warmers. A bit too mild of a taste, at least for my preference.

M/D: Thick and syrupy mouthfeel with low carbonation. Masks the alcohol well. The beer just lacks a striking and unique character, so I am not compelled to keep drinking.

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured a dark brown with a nice tan head. When held up to light, it was dark ruby red. It looked like the red light district in amsterdam at around 3AM, pretty cool. Smelled sweet and malty, some hints of christmas flair-type spicing around the borders of my smell capabilities. The taste was very malt forward, with hoppy bitterness on the finish. Thick and gooey, the flavor got more interesting as the beer warmed. You defintely knew the alcohol was there the entire time, but it wasn't too overbearing. I am not a fan of the majority of christmas beers out there and this didn't break from that trend. Better then most holiday brews though and on a cold winter night, I could see sipping on one of these for an hour or so.

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin.

And our day at the Firk is nearing an end. Soon, we bottle some of our own beer! In the meantime, this one pours a dark ruby-brown topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, light fennel, brown sugar, light maple syrup, and walnuts. The taste holds notes of brown sugar, light roasted malts, walnuts, and light maple syrup. There's a decidedly watered-down kind of feeling to everything. The body is a straight medium, with a light carbonation and a kinda watery feel. Overall, a decent Winter brew, but nothing I would heartily ask for or recommend. It's all just a bit watery for my liking.

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

No yeast at the bottom. $7.99 for a sixer. Served at fridge temp.

A: Dark, ashen ruby. Bright red when viewed through light, but when left to hide under its cap, the color is replaced by darkness. An aggressive pour forms a two-and-a-half-finger, eggshell foam head, with varying bubble sizes. This beer globs itself onto the sides. Hazy, doesn’t let you see through. Head falls to a cream, and it tries briefly to cling to the side, but doesn’t leave any lacing.

S: Very malty and hoppy. Biscuity breadiness….. Raisins and figs, all subdued. Grains, wheat, a sliver of banana. Just not much going on. Woody. Nutmeg.

T: really bitter, and hot, too. Fusels and phenols. Bandaid. Cherry, cinnamon, walnut. A bit rough.

M: Dry and astringent. High carbonation, medium body.

D: Low. I don’t want a second bottle. C-.

Interestingly, there are no hops, but only bullion hops, known for their distinctive black currant flavor.

I've never tasted bullion hops, but I get a hot, piney flavor, like that of an evil pineapple. In a way, it reminds me of Chinook, as it has some grapefruit and a distinctive note that I can only describe as cat piss.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a nice dark reddish brown color with a tiny tan head of lace that disappears after the first few quaffs. This beer smells of sweet malts and light choco with some fluttery hops in the end. The taste was somewhat thin. No real discernible spice addings, which I expected from the scenic winter label. Sweet bread like malts, medium somewhat chewy mouthfeel, sweet caramelized sugars, and light phenolic fruit. Tiniest hint at rum or brandy, but only behind the heavy sweetness. The hop blend seems to have wimped out in my bottle. I don't doubt the prescence, but there was no real oomph. Not quite what I think of when I hear American Strong / Ole Ale. Try a Stone AB, I think it holds more interest. Not bad, the 8% is cloaked well, but not one I'll be seeking out again.

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery and style. 8.3% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger khaki/light tan colour head of nice cream, thickness, and retention. I'd estimate retention time to be about four minutes - pretty impressive at this high an ABV. Body colour is a transparent copper-amber. Not particularly vibrant, but nonetheless appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Heavy toasted malt character, caramel, biscuit malt, some cream, hazelnut, toffee, and minimal hopping. A mild strength, subtle aroma. I'm excited to try it.

T: Heavy toasted malt dominates the climax, with some emergent caramel. It's definitely malt-centric, with minimal hopping coming through. Biscuit malt is certainly present. Well layered and balanced, but lacking multiple dimensions. It comes off simple - especially for the style. Some toffee and hazelnut help lend it needed character, but it still comes off lacking. An evocative and interesting brew that feels held back by its simplicity. No alcohol or yeast comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nicely thick. Good carbonation. No problems here. Suits the flavours nicely. A bit chewy. Very smack-your-lips luscious.

Dr: Quite drinkable for the well-hidden ABV. It feels like more of an underspiced winter warmer than an old ale. I like it, but it's not great for the style. I'd have it on-draught. I could definitely drink this repeatedly over the course of a night. A solid offering from Avery, but it does need work.

B-

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a muddy brown with a thick tan head, that seems like it might be around for a bit. Smell is toffee some caramel notes, brown sugar, real heavy on the malt, not much in the way of hops. Taste is rather odd and a complete let down from the smell. first is a rather cloying sweetness of brown sugar and then comes a piney hops. Some winter spice is a bit abrasive on the tongue too. Mouthfeel is decent enough. Good carbonation to carry the alchohol and the stickiness of this beer seems to work. Drinkability is a bit lackluster for me. Not sure I would ever need to try this beer again.

3.39/5  rDev -12.4%

I wanted so much to like this beer, especially at the (high) price I paid for a sixer. But ultimately, this is a one dimensional beer--malt, malt, malt--and I felt it did not meet the level of excellence its premium price implied.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass--a one-finger head which dissolved quickly to a vague foam. No lacing to speak of.

This is a good looking beer, full of promise. On the basis of appearance alone, a terrific beer...but...

There isn't a lot to stimulate the olfactory sense. I wanted this beer to explode with a malty fog, but it just sat there in the glass and stared back at me. Very disappointing.

The flavor was all malt, with malt notes moving up and down the scale. If you like malty beer, this is a fine example. But I desperately wanted some balance to make this a little more palatable. The malt is so predominant that I can't imagine having more than one of these in a sitting--which is usually my benchmark for a great beer.

Mouthfeel was average.

This is as much a niche beer as Hop Wallop, Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner, Duvel, or anu other category leader--with the caveat that it doesn't compel me to have another one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This amber-to-light-brown colored seasonal is surprisingly light on the nose. In the flavor there is a roasted, espresso-like quality that is very pronounced, surprisingly so given the fairly light appearance of this beer. Following this there is an alcohol chaser (and why not, at 8%) and a bitter finish. In the mouthfeel we find mostly astringency from the roasted malt and bitter finish.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I just don't like Winter Warmers all that much. Old Jubilation is above-average but still not too thrilling.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, medium reddish-brown color with less than one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Strong vinous fruit and mellow fermented grain combine to make a smell that is initially potent but fleeting. As intensity decreases, very faint vanilla and brown sugar are revealed. Alcohol fumes diminish in a similar manner, becoming undetectable after a few minutes.

T: Begins slightly sweet, with toffee, dark toast, and faint dark fruit. Grain turns husky in the middle, drying just slightly, with a phantom flavor of urea that comes and goes, but is a definite distraction when it is present. While dryness is never achieved, it is approached by an additional degree in the finish where bitterness is noticeable but not excessive, and rustic earthy malt lingers on the palate. Alcohol is mostly concealed, lending just occasional volatile fumes.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly syrupy showing restrained acidity, with low carbonation.

D/O: This beer is appealing in concept--strong and malty, but with the omission of those troublesome spices that are meant to invoke the spirit of wassail, only to trip up so many winter warmers. Unfortunately the transient urea notes take one completely out of the experience, limiting enjoyment. Still, it is not without its charms; considering it is an Avery product, it may be considered a qualified success.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought a 12 FL OZ bottle of this & added it to my Mix-A-Six Pack @ Naked Vine in Chesterfield, MO for $9.99. Poured from the "Old Winter Scened" bottle w/ a sleigh on the front & "LIMITED RELEASE" below Avery Brewing Company into a Clear 16oz Christmas Seidel Glass. Has also "HO, HO WHOA!" on the bottom & 11252B1 on the top of the bottle (any date or freshness hints of some sort?).

Aroma- Has a tons of malt and caramel aroma with a bit of alcohol in the background. Not much else... Wish there was more complexity and character here.

Appearance- Pours a .5 finger head that lasts for an average time. Has a dark brown colored body that is clear. Leaves only sudsy lacing behind.

Flavor- This brew starts with an extreme malty character and then has a bit of alcohol and booze behind it. Winter Warmer type of characteristics and then a light-medium hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Smooth, Light tasting and tad watered down and then has an alcohol hint at the finish.

Overall Impression- Enjoyable but would I drink this by the fire on a cold winter's night? Probably not. Not as much body and attribute as I wanted or was scoping out. This brew says its an "Old Ale" but more the most part, it was an Ellis' Brown Ale w/ a bit more ABV and malt and no caramel character. Not sure what to think. Still an above average brew but many other fantastic winter ale's I would go for before returning to this one.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Quite the winter warmer! Wow, a hot toddy for a cold evening by the fire, but……

Good start – deep caramel (root beer) pour with a sticky tan head. And those fall spice malts in the aroma were enticing. The quaff had a sugar cane sweet start, and finished with a proper hop kick. But……… the alcohol was very noticeable, and it came with a cherry medicine after burner. Just too tad too hot for a good drinker brew.

Old Jubilation from Avery Brewing Company