Old Jubilation | Avery Brewing Company

Style: Old Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Ratings: 1,707 |  Reviews: 807
4.27/5  rDev +10.3%

I'm somewhat shy about this whole 'Winter Warmer' category; a category filled with beers flavored with spices, bush berries, and twigs. Yet, as I've enjoyed the other Avery products I've tasted, I thought I'd give this one a try. Here we go!

Appearance: Pours a rich garnet hue with a modest, yet persistent tan head.

Aroma: Sniff! Gobs of sweet malty goodness upfront teamed with hints of caramel and mystery dark fruitiness. Also: a playful, leafy hop bouquet once you get past the malts.

Taste: Alright, let's jubilate! I get a Malt Mouth with light cocoa powder, caramel, and with a dash of light coffee thrown in. The hops lazily file in at the back of the line, allowing the beer to finish with a pleasant, albeit lingering hop flavor. There's also a tiny bit of smokiness to be found. The 8% alcohol goes undetected, and was well hidden within this brew. Delish! Just the right amount of sweetness for me.

Mouthfeel: I would say medium for the mouthfeel with this one, and there's a decent amount of carbonation, too. Smooth! Which leads us to...

Drinkability: Oh, its drinkable alright! Especially for the 8% alcohol. Absolutely a joy to drink, even without the spices, bush berries, and twigs present in so many of these seasonal offerings. A hefty brew, and certainly a tasty one, I am pleased to have given this Avery offering a try and look forward to the remainder of the six-pack. Way to go, Avery!

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours an effervescent reddish chestnut with 3 fingers of tan colored head. Average lacing & good head retention

S: Fruitty (cherries & dates) & bready

T: Cakey with brown sugar & dryness upfront. Leafy hops & a bit of booze as this warms. Finishes with caramel, treacle, more leafy hops, more dryness & just a whisper of brown sugar

MF: Chewy with low/moderate carbonation

Drinks really good for the abv, makes me wish for some roast pork or goose. I do think the dryness would get to me before the abv,

3.69/5  rDev -4.7%

Good initial head, but it dissipates to a single layer. The lace is spotty and light. The color is a deep brown where the light still shines through.

Mostly malty aroma with lots of crystal; this brings out a caramel smell. The hop is present but in the background.

Tastes like a hoppy barley wine although the flavors are two-dimensional. The malt is neither overly sweet nor dry. The finish leaves a lot of bitterness in the aftertaste. Very rich body.

Not a complex beer but it is also well-balanced and full flavored.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Been sitting on this bottle for a while, so figured it was getting into summer and a good time to drink a winter warmer.

A: Pours a dark brown with orange edges when held up to the light. Tan head, about one finger in height forms and reduces down to a thin layer of fine bubbles. Nice sticky lacing covers most of the glass.

S: Extremely malty, loads of roasted malt and a bit of chocolate. Has a little bit of dark fruit, but not as much as most winter warmers, this almost smells like a porter.

T: Tons of caramelized sugar with some roasted malt. There is a little bit of cocoa and coffee and just a hint of alcohol.

M: Medium bodied, pretty smooth and on the creamier side. Just enough carbonation to prevent it from being too thick.

O: Pretty good, a different take on a winter warmer, and it would definitely warm me up in the middle of winter.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Dusky crimson with brassy orange trim and tiny bits of yeast. The oatmeal colored head is firm and tight with gobs of delicate bubbles on its upper surface. A thick coat of generously pocked lace is beginning to coat the glass, sealing the deal on an attractive appearance.

The mega-malty nose reminds me of a robust porter or even a stout. It doesn't possess the dark fruitiness of a Baltic porter and it doesn't possess the licorice and molasses notes of a Russian Imperial stout. In spite of the less exotic scents of roasted barley and dark chocolate, this is a wonderfully aromatic winter warmer. No spices greet my nose, but then I know from the website than none have been added.

On the palate, Old Jubilation still reminds me of a big porter or a throttled-back stout. Malt is in charge here and multiple varieties have been used to great effect. The roasted maltiness is multi-dimensional in ways that I'm having fun exploring, especially as the beer warms. The thing that gives this beer its signature personality is that it tastes a little (only a little) like a barleywine or an old ale. The fact that Avery calls it an English strong ale is telling.

The beer is judiciously sweet, with more than enough bitterness to bring things into balance. An English variety of hop, Bullion, has been used; an atypical choice, one that I don't usually run across. If I had been told that one spice was used, I'd have guessed just a pinch of cinnamon. I can easily believe, however, that it's spice-free (as advertised).

I have no earthly idea how long I've had this bottle, but I'd guess that it's about one year old. Long enough, apparently, for the alcohol to have mellowed into a purring kitten. A little is apparent, but not much. The mouthfeel is closer to medium than to full, and is just a fraction too bubbled. Those are minor, nitpicky complaints since, overall, I like the mouthfeel just fine.

From the wintery label reminiscent of a Currier and Ives lithograph; to the deep, multi-faceted maltiness; to the warming sensation currently residing in my belly, Old Jubilation is a fine ale that was a pleasure to consume. Avery has brewed another winner that, thanks to its cellarability, can be enjoyed all year round. Well done.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass

A – Poured a deep dark and hazy brown with a nice ruby colored tint coming through on the sides and bottom. A very nice three finger or more head of tan colored lace rose up across the top and stayed around for a good few minutes giving it a very full appearance and a very nice look overall. Some carbonation could be seen struggling to keep up on the sides of the glass.

S – The aroma was very sweet, full of tons of caramel and sugar with a very nice winter like smell to it. Hints of earthy roasted malts and nuts with a very much caramelized coating were readily apparent, as was a touch of alcohol on the back end of it. This was a very nice and richly warm tone coming off of it. Some slight hoppiness could be picked up as well but nothing to extravagant.

T – The flavor was wonderful, honestly just really well put together. The first thing to hit you was a wall of caramelized sugar taste mixed in with tons of earthy roasted malts and a really nice hint of nutmeg. This all rolled together very nicely and gave a very full complex flavor. Hints of a bourbon barrel like alcohol were also apparent but not too extreme. Just enough to let you know it could warm you up a bit if you needed it. Very smooth dry finish with a nice grassy sort of hop tinge to it. \

M – Very smooth and creamy, this medium bodied ale was just about perfect here. The carbonation kept it from feeling slimy or syrup like and provided that extra little bit of liveliness to keep it going. Very nice profile.

D – Almost as good as you can get as far as being a good sessionable winter beer. The flavors were sugary sweet and rich without being over the top. The abv was up there enough to let you know this was just a light lager, but mellowed enough to really be a fine session ale. Great carbonation and not an overall heavy feeling all added up to a really fantastic experience.

Overall this was easily my favorite of all the winter beers I have had so far this year. Almost perfectly created you really could not go wrong here. I would have gladly put down a few more of these, as they were just that good. A very solid offering and one that is sure to please. I would have to highly recommend this one.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

I tried this on tap at Sturges Speakeasy, served chilled in a Nonic.

The color is a dark brown with ruby highlight with translucent clarity and thin tan head. The smell is a mix of slight spice with mild nutty aroma and slight dried fruit quality with somewhat toasted malt accent. The feel is good with moderately full body with a spiced texture and firm malt base with moderate carbonation and warming dry finish.

The taste has a spice flavor up front which could just be hop spiciness and mild caramel in the middle with a toasted grain flavor and a moderate amount of alcohol in the flavro with subtle yeast adding some dried fruit almost raisin-like flavor with semi-dry finish. Overall this is a very good holiday Old ale, pretty smooth for the most part, but a lot of alcohol in the taste as it warms up-worth a try

4.39/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Welcome to my Bonne Bière d'Hiver Nouveau Dimanche (Happy New Winter Beer Sunday)! Of course, it starts with CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm), beginning with Iron Hill's Rudolph's Revenge and followed by this beauty! The elation that I feel at all of the CANs hitting the market is boundless. I got an extra bottle & CAN to cellar as directed, but for now, it is a fresh CAN.

From the CAN: "Winter [-] Seasonal Selection"; "Est, 1993"; "Please recycle This CAN and Its Plastic Carrier"; "HO, HO, WHOA! Our winter ale has a gorgeous mahogany hue, a hint of hazelnuts, and a finish reminiscent of mocha and toffee. No spices, just a perfect blend of five specialty malts. Cellarable for 3+ years."

The Crack! just made me laugh! Imagine filling a cooler with this bad boy. It was loud and jolted me back to reality. I remembered to be oh, so gentle with my Glug, but I still got a skim of wisps across the top. A hard swirl raised a finger of fizzy, deep-tan/light brown head that seemed determined to disappear. Shy? Aww, I'm friendly! Bye. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with button brightness & the most beautiful ruby highlights ever! Nose was quite nutty, and while I agree with "hazelnut", I may not have identified it on my own. It also had a dark breadiness and a slightly-burnt caramel smokiness. When I was a HomeEc student, I came to hate making CANdy! It was a vigorous, rigorous task with molten-hot malleable sugar and it was like an avocado in that it was ready for consumption for a millisecond and then it was no good. Caramel was especially prone to this & I CAN recognize the smell instantly. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was spice-free, thank goodness! I get that many Winter beers are spiced, but when you segue from Fall Pumpkin-spiced ales into spiced Winter beers, it CAN get old very quickly. Instead, this was really nutty and now I could have intuited "hazelnut" without any prompting. At the same time, the slightly burnt/smoky caramel flavor was licking at the edges of the nuttiness. I wonder what this will become with the suggested cellaring. I'm betting on a sherry-like dryness since it was already dry on the finish in this young iteration. It tasted of dark nut bread and it lingered beautifully. The only thing(s) that I lacked were a roaring fireplace in front of which to enjoy it & a young lady with hair the color of the embers to acCANpany me in our drinking & watching hockey. I promise to revisit both the cellared CAN & bottle in 3+ years. In the meantime, it is on to the next one! Cheers, friends.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

From 12/1/11 notes. Had on tap at the Chuurchkey Avery tap takeover event. 2011 vintage.

a - Pours a dark transparent amber color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Some spotty lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells of dark fruits, sweet fruit, apples, alcohol, caramel malts, light vanilla, light toasted malts. Alcohol is a little strong, but still nice.

t - Tastes of apples, sweet dark fruit, caramel malts, light vanilla, light roasted notes.

m -Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty smooth and easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was a really nice old ale. Lots going on and lots of fruit. Alcohol was present in the nsoe but not really in the taste. Something I'd certainly have again.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin.

And our day at the Firk is nearing an end. Soon, we bottle some of our own beer! In the meantime, this one pours a dark ruby-brown topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, light fennel, brown sugar, light maple syrup, and walnuts. The taste holds notes of brown sugar, light roasted malts, walnuts, and light maple syrup. There's a decidedly watered-down kind of feeling to everything. The body is a straight medium, with a light carbonation and a kinda watery feel. Overall, a decent Winter brew, but nothing I would heartily ask for or recommend. It's all just a bit watery for my liking.

3.71/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

The Old Jubilation is a big strong beer and I probably did not try it at the best time. I was having lunch at our local watering hole and it was a warmer day , which I think plays against strong ales. The beer poured a rich deep amber color with thick foamy head that laced. The smell was like a dark malt and alcohol. The taste was malty mix that seemed to give the presence of subtle spices like a cinnamon, ginger, etc. along with big alcohol. The mouthfeel was full body with smooth carbonation. Overall it was ok....not a huge fan of strong ales.

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%

I'm guessing this one is from last Christmas season, and at 8% abv and bottle conditioning if handled properly by the good folks at Vintage Cellar this beer should have survived. Bottle gives no dates or info about the brew. Appearance: Deep ruby brown colored body with nice sized tan head leaves perfect rings of lacing with close clusters of tiny patches clinging to the glass very nice. Aroma: Plum like over ripened sweetness with some deep piney hop character going down, a layer of bready yeast note all flows very well aromatically. Taste: Deep thickets of hop bitterness here a mild sweetness comes through with a bready yeast flavor a bit musty but suprisingly quaffable and interesting. Mouthfeel: Medium to full body mild carbonation goes down too easy at 8% abv. Drinkability: A bit complex to enjoy in session but a wonderful beer to sample and enjoy may track some more fresher bottles this coming winter.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a deep brown with half an inch of head. Good retention. The nose has notes of caramel, toasty malts, and faint alcohol esters. The taste is toasty, caramely, nutty, and has a nice earthy, piny, hoppy finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, but a little heavily carbonated.

The alcohol here becomes more potent as the sips progress. It starts balanced, smooth, and drinkable, but it ends warm, boozy, and sip-able. Overall though, it's not a bad beer to warm you up in the colder months.

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Old Jubilation from Avery Brewing Company