Collaboration Not Litigation Ale | Avery Brewing Company

Added by FtownThrowDown on 01-23-2007

Ratings: 1,628 |  Reviews: 736
2.83/5  rDev -27.8%

cloudy, off-white head

dates, rasins, and what not... average.

a bit too sweet, and lacking in certain areas. not what i expect of one of my favorite styles.

little lacing or carbonation; this was the most disappointing aspect.

this one's a misfire for avery, and that is absolutely the only time i've ever said that. lots of areas for improvement.

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Purchased from Consumer Beverage in Hales Corners, WI. Poured from the bottle into a snifter yielded a deep, dark orange body with a thin cap of foam. Aroma is mostly of yeasty esters with some hint of malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy. Extremely malty and sweet. The alcohol is well hidden. This is a decent beer, but didn't win me over.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured a dark amber with a soup ring of a head with some minor lacing and a bit of sediment.

Smell has a yeasty funk quality to it with a touch of sweet dark fruit.

Has a very tinny and oxidized flavor with a bit of sour citrusy fruit and some dry grassy hops with a touch of sweet oranges. Very underwhelming flavor overall

Mouthfeel is very warm and super dry.

Not the most drinkable Beer. I liked the idea, not so much the execution.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sampled As Part Of Phatz's Sour Beer Tasting - Review Is From Notes

Appearance: Brown with a tinge of gold. Head is white and has moderate retention. Very little lace remains. There seems to be plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Initially it smells like old beer-well, it is sour after all. Earthy aromas include peat, wood and malt.

Taste: The taste is woody and full of malt. This reminds me of a high-end malt liquor. I can taste the brettamyces? bacteria. Not souring to me, but could be for others. I think the earthy flavors have a strangle hold on this one.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and funky. Smoothe with sort of an annoying aftertaste. Again, feels like malt liquor.

Drinkability: This is a decent beer that I probably won't revisit unless it's the best thing available. For $10 a bottle, I could do much better.

2.86/5  rDev -27%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Batch #4 Feb. 2010

A: Dark amber. Some sediment slight haze. Finger and a half white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Sweet cherry raisin. Dates. A touch of sourness. A little nuttiness. Caramel. Belgian yeast. Very light chocolate. Brown sugar. Pretty complex. Not well blended. Slightly ashy.

T: Caramel. Raisins, dates, figs. cherries. Touch of chocolate. Belgian yeast. Brown sugar. Finishing with alcohol. Again fairly complex but the flavors are a mess.

M: Medium body. Low carbonation. Light creaminess. Alcohol bite.

O: Was happy when I seen this on the shelf. Never heard of it and it was already aged for me. Glad I only paid $6.99. Not digging this at all.

2.87/5  rDev -26.8%

I poured this brew into a tulip and it presents itself perfectly, with three fingers thick off white head, and has a copper cloudy body.

The aroma is faint. I detect a slight metallic hops aroma and a weird wood like fragrance.

The taste is quite vegatable in character. It almost seems as though leafy greens. It does finish a bit sweet with caramel/vanilla flavor, and that saves me from having to trash this beer.

In the mouth feel, it there is a lot of carbonation as usual, and the alcohol is hidden decently. This beer is a kind of let down, but not a horrible beer... I just expect more from Avery than this.

2.9/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.9/5  rDev -26%

A mixture of Salvations...
Like the idea but not so much the beer...
Pours a deep amber to a deep reddish brown. The head that does form is off white but quickly goes away to a small bit of white foam.
Smells of fruit cake or candy with booze. Some spices are there, coriander is the one that I can detect most easily. Sweet, almost rotting fruit scents at times.
Tastes speak of the scents with molasses thrown in. The mouthfeel makes me think I've just eaten something with too much cinnamon in it, though cinnamon isn't necessarily in the flavor.
I think I've had Avery's Salvation and recall not digging it so much. If I had to guess it's the Avery brew that's responsible for what I'm not liking about this brew. I find myself not wanting to finish the bottle.

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

This is seriously disappointing considering I used to love Belgian Dark Ales. I am into stouts now and although I will try to keep the style in mind, this does not seem very promising. Not bad, just not great.

$12 for a 22 oz.

Not much lacing but a burnt orange color, looks pretty good for the style.

S- Smells of bread and bananas. Actually a pretty (bready) good smell for the style.

T- Cloves on top of a clove pie with clove, banana and bread inside. Crap, I just bought 4 of these at $12 a pop because one of my beer guys REALLY suggested it. I guess he'll fill his quota of this for the week. Gotta talk to him about this.

Carbonation is nice, but I really don't think I will investigate this one again.. Is it a Tripel? That would explain my digust for this taste. Tripels have always been hard for me to take.

I'm sorry I did not like this, I really wanted to!! If you look at my reviews, I generally give high marks as to the beers that I review because if I REALLY hate a beer there is no need for me to chime in and kick a beer down and ruin someone else's good review/interpretation of a beer/style that they like.

With that being said if anyone is looking for some of these I have 3 more that I will definitely not drink so make me an offer for some!!

Matt

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle - BATCH # 4 - into an Ommegang tulip.

A - Poured a deep copper with about a finger thick bubbly head. Nice soft and steady carbonation swims to the surface. Pretty cloudy, but when held to the light you can see through it. Lacing rim clings to the glass, but the body slides down. I was definitely expecting something darker and deeper.

S - All the usual suspects for a BSDA, but not as intense as I'm used to. The smell is there, but I've always been a big fan of that overwhelming BDSA deep and dark fruit overcoming your nose when you crack the bottle. Seems pretty balanced smelling, but maybe a touch on the sweeter side of things.

T - Not really much flavor for the style. The dark fruits are there, but there is no sweetness as the nose would lead you to believe. There are some great flavors in the background, but overall, seems like a all I'm tasting is the ABV. Seems like a watered down version of a BSDA.

M - A bit syrupy. Kind of like drinking wine with the mouthfeel of a beer.

D - Not my favorite BSDA by a long shot, but I couldn't resist trying the product of a Russian River and Avery collaboration. All in all, not all that impressed. Glad I tried it, but I won't be seeking it out again.

2.99/5  rDev -23.7%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Batch #3, bottled in February 2009.

Pours a murky, muddy odd brown color with a small light brown head with minimal lacing. Nose is really malty, raisins, dark fruits, molasses and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I'd like but the finish is nice and smooth, it's very bready and yeasty with a light tartness that's nice but not over the top. Something is a bit odd about the beer though, I guess it's just an odd mix of beers. Super cool concept, not the best result.

2.99/5  rDev -23.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a brownish color and a cloudy texture. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: An odd aroma of yeast, malt, and a grassy quality.

T: The aforementioned grassy quality (at least that's what it tasted like to me) dominated the flavor, with only a few hints of malt and yeast to be found. Not a particularly pleasant flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth, clean finish. Medium-bodied.

O: While this beer has some good qualities, it comes off the rails at critical junctures (i.e., the taste). Very uneven.

Batch#5 -- ABV 8.91%

A - 1.25 finger head that grows and dissipates at a medium pace.

S - Yeasty sweetness and yeast aka Yeast, Sweet, Yeast in that order!

T/M - A semi spicy and yeasty upfront with moderate carbonation, almost a pumpkin pie like spice to it.

O - Not too shabby, overall an average Belgian style Ale. Killer 8.91% ABV in batch#5. Not too overpoweringly sweet or spicy as some Belgian's go. Meh, make up your own mind, I am not into this style so I probably wouldn't go there again!

PP (Price Point) - $10.99 for a 22oz is a somewhat average bang for the buck, Definitely worth it if you are a Belgian Ale fan!

Collaboration Not Litigation Ale from Avery Brewing Company