Salvation | Avery Brewing Company

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by kbub6f on 06-10-2002

Reviews: 531 | Ratings: 1,052
2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

"Divinely drinkable," says the bottle....I don't know about that...

A lovely cider-colored ale with a frothy, yellowish head which leaves nice lacing. Smells surprisingly thick: notes of chocolate on apricot and hops. The first taste raised the hairs on my arms. Quite hoppy. Quite. Too much so for me, but I can see where one who is a fan of Dogfish's 90-minute IPA would really enjoy this. I do *very* much appreciate the complex pang of sweetness at the finish. I couldn't drink this regularly, but it's worth a try if you're a hop head.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

reviewed from notes:

A: drank from a bottle, left moderate lacing.

S: Smells like a wheat ale at first whiff. Light, not at all hoppy. I'm gonna have to stop here and mention this is not at all my style, and i've had problems with golden belgiums before. That said i'll try to review to style.

T: sweet with a light malt finish. Barley flavor is solid, though it keeps reminding me of wheat. undercarbonation makes it taste flat and undesirable. I think the yeast is contributing to the wheatiness.

M: undercarbonated, thin. Where's the love?

D: at 9% it doesn't really show it. probably great if you love the style, but i didn't dig it at all. Not bland, but flat and boring in my opinion. sorry if i'm missing something.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle to snifter.

Appearance: Light-red in color, copper. Very little head.

Smell: Definite brown sugar and some little citrus notes. Very clean.

Taste: Sweet and slight maltiness. Very smooth.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-light in body, nice brown sugar sweetness.

Overall, this is a great beer for the style and really love it.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

A fairly clean pour. It has a little hazy cloudiness but not much. The color is a very rich yellow gold. The head is thin but laces well. A huge malty, banana nose jumps out of the glass. The banana carries over to the tongue but not getting any other spices. Without more fruits or spice it doesn't seem like a belgian style but still a good beer. Some alcohol heat is present but thin it smoothes out to a creamy malt. Great mouthfeel. It covers every crevice of your mouth causing a long lingering finish. It's not so rich you can't drink this one easily but with the alcohol feeling it makes me wonder how much you would want to.

Pours a hazy gold with a nice white head. Fruity aroma. Flavor is apricot, yeast, citrus, slight clove, pears. Alcohol is hidden pretty well until you finish the 22oz bomber than you feel it. A decent Belgian golden ale but nothing special, I have had better.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

22oz poured into Pint glass

A-Amber color with big frothy head that laced throughout the entire experience. held pretty well. impressive

S-Fruity aroma with some spices thrown in.

T/M-Citrus flavor that is intertwined with a good hoppy bitterness that led to a good experience for me

O-Another great brew from the Holy Trinity from Avery.

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light golden opaque color with a relatively light head with medium fine foam. The nose is bright and crisp, clean smell and fruity esters that remind me of pineapple, peach and a little bit of banana. It has a very light citrus hop aroma that smells refreshing.

The taste is very clean and light with slight almond-like nutty flavor, it is simple yet a mouthful. Nice malts buffer the subtle flavoring and it leaves a long impression on the palate.

I find this an excellent Belgian with lots of American Rocky Mountain attitude. Highly recommended and I will drink many more of these if I can get my hands on them.

Aroma
Fruity rummish scent with hints of plums, figs, raisins maybe. Nice and inviting.

Mouthfeel
Slight creaminess on the palette, to the lighter/medium side of carbonation. Warming sensation at the end due to alcohol content.

Appearance
Light yellowish amber in tulip glass, stark white head which dissipated fairly quickly and is mildly lacing the glass.

Taste
Plum notes possibly, getting some light malt hints there but mainly fruity overtones and warming remnants of alcohol afterward.

Drinkability
I'd say a bit too drinkable for abv at 9%, goes down excellent even though get the warming hints from alcohol in the aftertaste.

Overall
There are some really great examples of this and this is really good although I don't know if it measures up to say a Duvel

4.44/5  rDev +16.2%

Oooh, I love these Avery bombers.

A: Golden. Awesome, frothy head.

S: Sweet! Fruity with a lot of floral hops.

T&M: Fruity and delicious as it warms to near room temp. Sticky sweet and sugary through and through, but enough hops to create a drying bitterness, offsetting the 9% ABV. Thick, syrupy feel. Enough carbonation so it's not sickly.

D: A little too sweet maybe, but really an awesome beer that must be tried.

Avery is top-notch.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

I drank from a bomber poured into a pint glass

A. The appearance was a very light brown with a little white head that stuck to the edge of the glass.

S. A very good smell as expected that gave an overpowering scent of orange.

T. There are two different taste. Initially there is a very complex sweet orangish taste that goes down very smooth. As the beer warms the tastes becomes a little more bitter.

M. The initial drink was very carbonated that tingled the mouth, but there was really nothing special as the beer became bitter

D. Excellent drinkability. It went down smooth in both the sweet and bitter stages and I would drink again if I was given the opportunity

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

From a large bottle poured into a Chimay goblet.

This is probably my favorite local Duvel sort of beer. It's a nice gold color with a sturdy white head held up by plenty of carbonation. The flavor and scent have a big Belgian fruitiness with a touch of vanilla. The body is nice and light. Delicious.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Bomber poured to a Chimay snifter...

I let this one warm a bit as it had been fridged for a while. When I can back the bottle was sweating profusely but still a bit too cool but I couldn't wait so here I am.

Poured an attractive yet still ever so slightly hazed dark gold with strong highlights of orange. One could almost describe this beer as just straight up orange...pretty neat looking. Head wasn't as aggressive as others in the catagory but it did it's thing to the tune of a 1.5 finger with some light lacing that died down relatively quickly.

The nose wasn't pronounced but gave off hints of light fruits, apricots and apples. Notes of spice and sugar with a tinge of alcohol. This beer was a bit passive up from compared to some others and definitely has a stronger malt signature. Malts are a bit overbearing at times and can tend to drown out the balance a bit. The finish is spiced with notes of nutmeg, corriander, and a slight anise.

Overall a good drinkable offering that deals with the abv quite well.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

Does Avery's Salvation answer our prayers, or do we end up in American/Belgian purgatory?

Handsome and smooth pour of caramel gold which breaks into a rather lackluster head. Not as rocky and bulbous as I was hoping. Kinda weak retention, but some solid sticky lacing.

Floral, dry and a sweet smell. Can't pin-point at the moment due to the polyps.

Ya know, I've been kinda down today, and I'm kinda striking out on the subtleties here. Do you think depression can affect taste? Eh. Anyways, this is a tasty brew. Creamy and surprisingly smooth with only a small bite. I do have to say, this is a pretty complex beer that delivers a buffet of thoughts - fruity, some spice and again, very floral. It also delivers a great aftertaste.

I was worried about this beer being a sinful bastard, but it was most assuredly a fine beer that hides it's abv well, and is delivers a tasty and heavenly drinking experience. I just don't know if I'll ever buy this over Duvel.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Radiant amber-gold - reminiscent of the original tree resin from which the gem's derived. Holds a light haze that detracts from the clarity, but in a reassuring way. The head dissipates fairly quickly, but not so fast to cause concern. A healthy lacing is left clinging to the glass and scattered across the beer's surface.

S - light, funky, earthy notes come hand-in-hand with soft yellow fruits and delicate spice.

T - Incredibly well balanced, full, and complex. Everything in the nose is expounded on the palate. The fruit, spice, and yeasty flavours work independently, yet also in harmony producing a synergy usually confined to great Belgian brews. The light hops gently roll-in towards the end to provide a cleansing bitter finish. There also seems to be a fennel seed quality that plays between the sweetness of the malt and the bitterness of the hops, and is quite unexpected for this style of beer - works superbly though,

M - So so smooth. An example of perfect carbonation, with concise, tight, prevalent bubbles creating a velvety, yet titillating, skin that covers the chewy maltiness lying beneath. This much chewy goodness couldn't be justified without a strong abv, and Salvation's got that in the bag too - at an indulgent 9%.

D - I could literally do this all day - and in fact, I've done it before with belgian counterparts of the same ilk. Smooth, strong, complex and refreshing - other than some moules frites to line the stomach, what more could anyone need?

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Avery 15th Anniversary vertical tasting

2008
A - brilliant clear golden color, with a long lasting white head.
S - A complex blend of phenolics, esters, and malt aromas. Favoring the phenols and esters.
T - Spicy coriander, peppery, flavors accompanied by some berry like flavors. Good hop bitterness with a good malt backing.
M - Full bodied with a pleasant alcohol warmth.

2005
A - Appearance remains about the same perhaps a bit of haze forming.
S - The phenols begin to subside bringing out less spice and more esters and malt.
T - Flavors of Liquorice root and strawberries seem to be amplified along with a more complex malt profile.
M - Full bodied and alcohol seems to be even smoother.

2002
A - once again the color and head are about the same with a slight bit more haze.
S - Super malty aromas dominate the nose as well as a subtle smoke aroma.
T - Amazing balance of fruit, strawberries, smoke and malt. Caramel, toffee, bready... Bitterness is subdued but appropriate.
M - Full bodied with a very smooth alcohol warmth.

This is a great beer for aging, while the 2008 bottle is good, the 2005 and 2002 vintages are much more complex and dynamic. As expected the malt increases with age, but the phenolics and esters also dramatically change. I would place the 2002 as the best of the three with 2005 coming in second.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew has attractive golden amber tones with little head, just some lacing that clings to the glass. It has a dried fruit smell that competes with a strong aura of booziness. A slight bitterness lingers on the tongue after every sip, but my strongest impression from the taste was the flavor of raisins. The consistency is between light and medium, but the booziness makes it more suitable for sipping.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap Boulevard Grill 08/23/06

Pours a light golden ale with no head. This beer has all kinds of smell those including apple, citrus and a bit of alcoholic overtone. My first sip packs a punch but I'm ready for another! Wow there it is again ripe apples and a fruity aftertaste linger. Carbonation is mild and just right for this style of beer. Nice to see something of this caliber to come out of Colorodo and representing a Belgian favorite. The only downfall of this beer is the 9% abv which makes it difficult to have more than one. Once again Avery has nailed it!

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

From tap served in a heavy glass goblet

A: Light orange with a nice light foamy head on top which lasted the entire glass coating the sides as it went down.

S: Fruits and alcohol with a sweetness

T: When it firsts hits your tongue it has a sweetness but a wholesome kind of sweetness not sugary. Then you get fruit flavors with a little bit of alcohol and a very slight bitterness - a very nice balance

M: Has a very nice carbonation throughout that lasted the entire time. It is crisp and creamy at the same time and goes down very smoothly. The flavors stay in your mouth for a while and you can feel the warmth spreading around throughout your mouth and down your throat.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. It went down smoothly and the taste was consistent even getting richer as it warmed and opened up. You can definitely feel the high alcohol content so I savored the beer for a while.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

The Belgian and Belgian-style brews are growing on me, so I thought I'd try an outing by Avery.

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange with minimal head retention. Deep and pourous, it just looks complex.

S - Smells faintly sweet, of bananas and citrus, but nothing much else present in the snifter I poured it in.

T - Didn't really know what to expect, I braced myself for full flavor and that's what I got. I mean, it really surprised me when it hit my mouth. Entirely generous malts, a whole-hearted effort of sweetness that blends the alcohol well. I knew what to expect after first taste, but it kept surprising me with every sip.

M - Smooth, goes down sweetly, creamy.

D - Find some friends who like Golden ales, it's a lot to put down by yourself. Still, very drinkable.

4.19/5  rDev +9.7%

This is a very pleasant beer that's remarkably quaffable for 9% ABV. It is a little sweet, with a mild graininess that gives way to vaguely tropical yeast and hop flavors. It has a nice, long, lightly bitter finish. This beer should appeal to a wide variety of drinkers.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a hazy dark gold like a light copper color, with a fluffy white head.

Smells of yeasts, citrus, spice, and hops. Noticeable alcohol.

Sweet, slightly hoppy, boozy, somewhat dry finish.

Sticky, mouth coating, sorta malty aftertaste.

Not my favorite from Avery, nor is it my favorite example of this Belgian style. Glad I tried it, not really one I'd repeat.

4.51/5  rDev +18.1%

A: Pours a cloudy orange, with a one finger thick foamy eggshell white head. The look of this beer is magnifecent in front of a light. The head dissipates leaving a strong ring with insanely sticky lacing.

S: Strong fruity yeast, slightly peppery with crisp hops. Orange rind and smoky malt. You get a hint of alcohol but it is hidden so well.

T: Pepper and fruit up front with a slight alcohol nip and an amazing sweet malt base. Hidden hops try to break through but are subdued. This brew has a fantastic malt balance.

M: Nice carbonation. Heavy up front but then dries out quickly.

D: Upon my first sip I got the feeling of high alcohol content but then every other ingredient quickly washes over and instantly mellows its presence.This is a very drinkable Belgian, not heavy at all, quite refreshing but you know the alcohol will get you. Excellent. I am looking forward to having more from Avery. So far my favorite Belgian.

3.31/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Pours golden and a bit orange. Big foamy white head that disappears quickly. A little bit of lacing.

S: Sweet and floral.

T: A bit of sweet fruit. Very little hops. Maybe a little of honey.

M: Very smooth with medium carbonation (great for this beer). A bit creamy.

D: Good overall average beer. Nice to drink on a hot night.

4.46/5  rDev +16.8%

This is the second time I've tried Avery Salvation, and I have to say that it is every bit as good as I remembered it from the first occasion.

I normally like to try something new when I go the beer store and these days, with the much improved availability of craft beer in this part of Central Florida, that is always a possibility. So it speaks volumes for this beer that I opted to sample it again, so soon after my first encounter with it, when there were plenty of other tempting, untried offerings on the shelves.

Normally appearance is not something that is going to make or break a beer for me and I considered it to be the least important amongst the evaluation categories, but I must say that the clean, clear amber presentation is worthy of top marks, being more striking than any other beer in recent memory.

This beer drinks so well it's hard to believe that it's 9% abv - It reminds me of some the golden ales I used to drink all night back in England and they would probably be about 3.8%.

I feel I could drink this all night as well, at least until I fell under the table after dancing around with my underpants on my head.

Yes indeed - yet another winner from Avery, who are seriously working their way into contention of becoming my favourite brewery. For me, this is definitely one of those Desert Island beers, oft discussed and nominated in the forum.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful golden to orange color. Tiny bit hazy. Tiny head that goes away sorta quickly and leaves bits of lacing. Carbonation is there.

I smell apricot and to a lessor extent banana. The apricot is so strong that I can hardly smell just a faint suggestion of floral hops and some malty sweetness. Also a bit of alcohol.

The taste of the apricot definitely comes through but thankfully not as intensely. Alcohol at 9%, has a strong presence: like a gin or vodka. Heavy on the malt and barely any bitter hops.

Smooth medium mouthfeel/body. A little stickiness that turns into dryness from the alcohol.

Definitely a sipper. I was nervous when I read on the side that it had nutmeg and cinnamon but was glad when I didn’t detect it (not a huge fan). However, I wish they would have masked the alcohol better and I wish the smell wasn’t so overpowered from the apricot. Eh. There has to be a better representation of this style.

Salvation from Avery Brewing Company