Avery Anniversary Ale - Fifteen | Avery Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by ArrogantB on 04-27-2008

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

My local bottle shop got an old 2008 keg of this so I took some home. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter. Clear gold color with a thin head. The nose has some apples, light barnyard funk, and a hint of berries (possibly the mission figs used). Other than the light funk, it smells like a nice Chardonnay.

Nice tart acidic flavor. The tartness is balanced by a little bit of sweetness, but not much. Mouth feel is nice and firm, though it could use a bit more carbonation to wake up the palate. The beer is creamy in the front of the mouth with some oak and cedar notes. Tartness arrives at mid-palate with flavors of apple skins and green grapes, but does not destroy your taste buds. Rather, it brings a refreshing acidity.

I was surprised at some of the lukewarm reviews this beer got. Perhaps time has mellowed it out some and improved the flavor. I thought it was a solid, refreshing sour.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gold, copper, orange...small lingering head. Giant aroma of a big mix of herbs, lavender, fruits, bread, pepper, funk. Big flavors of herbs but not too medicinally, minerals but in a refreshing manner, melon, and barnyard. Big and rich, complex, but not something I would drink more than a glass.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

22 ounce bottle with gold foil into tulip glass, bottled in April 2008. Pours slightly cloudy golden amber color, with a nice 2-3 finger fairly dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some nice and thick soapy lacing on the glass, with a fair amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of big tart apple, grape, pear, lemon, hay, grass, fig, bread, pepper, herbal, floral, funk, and yeast spices. Some fairly nice aromas, with good strength and complexity. Taste of big apple, grape, pepper, pear, grass, herbal, fig, clove, lemon, floral, bread, and yeast spices. Fairly dry on the finish; with lingering notes of pepper, lemon, bread, grape, grass, and yeast spices on the finish for a bit. Slight tartness on the finish, but not anywhere near what I was expecting from the aromas. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a fairly crisp and prickly mouthfeel that fits well. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with pretty much no warming present at all. Quite easy to drink, but is still a sipper. Overall this is a nice and quite enjoyable spiced wild ale. Good amount of flavor complexity and balance; and very smooth to drink. It held up well to age as expected.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

I always look forward to Avery's Anniversary Ales. They always bend the boundaries of the style guide and I love to see what style BA pigeon holes each year's offering into. I was betting they'd put this on in the saison category, but went with wild ale instead. Interesting.

Crystal clear amber with a creamy, white, tall head. Unlike most heads, the sides collapsed first, leaving a dense dollop in the center. The lace makes bands down the sides of the glass.

The smell is strong with the figs, smelling a lot like pears. There's some graham cracker, wet hay with the white pepper showing up on top of it all. The taste is very similar with an additional tang. The white pepper strengthens a little, changing the fruit character and masking it a little. In fact, the astringency from the pepper keeps this from becoming a nice crisp fruit beer with a solid measure of tartness. There's also some ash left behind on the tongue and the white pepper dominates the aftertaste. If the white pepper were toned down a bit I think it would be a much better beer.

A bit disappointed in the outcome, but I still applaud the concept.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottled April 2008. Probably the oldest beer I've ever had; not sure where or why I picked this up, but since it's never to be brewed again, here goes.

Cap pops with a nice hiss; still well-carbonated. Pours a clear, medium golden-straw yellow. Head erupts as I pour, but the big bubbles pop quickly, and it fades down to a nice white cap. Some good gobs of lacing. Big streams of bubbles continue to rush up from the bottom of the glass.

Smells like fruity sweet and sour. Crisp sugary apple sweetness comes as the vanguard, followed by a big wave of lemony sour. It's actually quite good, with both that crisp sour, and the hints of sweetness underneath. Biggest complaint is that I'd like it to be more potent.

Taste is where this beer falls off. It starts out slightly sour, but then gets really muddled. A jumble of flavors I can't place - slightly funky, slightly earthy, grassy. But it's a little like chewing on a big gob of peanut butter - too much all at once, without any clear idea where it's going. Much less fruity and sour than it was in the nose, and with a dry bitter finish that's just okay.

What looked good in the glass does not feel so good when it hits my tongue. Carbonation erupts from everywhere, and I want it to stop. Aside from that, it's light-bodied, pretty thin, and so dry that it's gone in a flash.

Still a good beer, but looks and smells better than it tastes and feels. I suspect it's fallen off since brewing, but I found it quite drinkable even at 4 years.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%

I found this bottle a year ago at Oak Tree Liquors in Central New Jersey. A year ago I thought it was a huge find. I went a few weeks ago, and they still had it. I still think it is a great find, and Oak Tree probably bought too much of this brew from a great brewery.

On the pour I expected a far darker beer based on the style and description on the label. It came out as a orange-yellow color. There was quite a bit of fluffy head from the initial pour into my goblet. The head dissipates to a very small amount of foam on top.

I love the smell of wild ales. You get a ton of that spice coming off the top. The hibiscus really comes through here.

This is really one of those cases where the beer smells much better than the flavor. I get a ton of spice and flowers in the smell. In the taste all I get is the white pepper and flower taste.

I appreciate the opportunity to have this beer. However, I guess I didn't appreciate it enough.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%