Avery Anniversary Ale - Fifteen | Avery Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by ArrogantB on 04-27-2008

Reviews: 372 | Ratings: 445
3.31/5  rDev -7.8%

Bomber into a Duvel tulip.

A: The body is a clear gold with a vigorous column of carbonation rising through it up to the beautifully constructed head of dense white foam. Strong retention and lacing. It looks right at home in the Duvel tulip, which is high praise.

S: Hugely funky aroma of barnyard Brett, cheese, and vegetal sourness. Much of the weirdness of a gueuze but without the intensity or balance. I keep expecting the Brett characteristics to give way to further layers of complexity, but no such luck. This is a one-dimensional funk-bomb, but that isn't an entirely bad thing.

T: Again, nothing much but funky wild yeast. On the palate, though, the Brett shows off a spicier, earthier side. No real sourness to be had, just funk and a bit of malt. This would be so much better if it had some bracing acidity to counter the weight of the dry, earthy, cheesy yeast.

M: Decent medium body with tons of lively carbonation. Works well for the style, if a bit over the top with the bubbles.

D: Hides the alcohol reasonably well, but the overly dry, funky flavors really don't lend themselves to easy quaffing. I wish I had someone to share the rest of the bomber with me.

Notes: Maybe it's just age that has let the Brett run away with this one, but I didn't get anything from the figs, hibiscus, or pepper that the label mentions. This simply tastes like a generic golden ale fermented with plenty of Brettanomyces. I like it just fine, but it certainly doesn't live up to the high expectations I have for AWAs in general and Avery in particular. I'm not at all sorry that this was a one-off, and I just hope that they make lots more Sui Generis.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to sweemzander for this bottle. Poured into my tulip the beer is golden orange with about two fingers of white head. Almost no lace is left behind.

The aroma is nice balance of sweet and tart. Sweet honey and apples along with lemons and pepper. The funk is subtle. I'm sure two years have mellowed this one a bit. It reminds me a lot of a saison with a little brett funk mixed in.

The flavor is a bit muted. Mild tart funkiness with hints of sweet malt, lemons, pepper, dark fruit and wood. Nothing really stands out. Again it reminds me of a funky saison.

Medium to light body modest carbonation.

Overall not bad just nothing really special. A lightly funk saison. Maybe two years is too much age.

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 7.68% ABV, 1.064 O.G., no date or info.

Thanks to sweemzander for giving Todd and I this bottle to share!

A - Fifteen pours a clear golden yellow with moderate carbonation bubbles rising up. A dense off-white head rests lightly on top like a fresh powdery snowfall. A bit of sticky lace covers a portion of the glass.

S - Sweet pale malts, honey, and white grape all kick off an incredible nose of beer. The hibiscus flower aroma comes through with good strength that's very pollen-like. A dash of white pepper spikes the kick of funky brett yeast on the finish. This beer smells amazing but could use just a touch more barnyard complimentary aromas.

T - Spicy white pepper and lemony citrus open the flavor with a strong kick of flower-pedal taste. Sweet pale malts, white grape, and honey back up the complex flavor. The finish ends with a strong yeasty brett flavor that's more Belgian farmhouse than barnyard funk. Amazing regardless, Fifteen is a great tasting anniversary beer.

M - Medium-light in body with a citrusy carbonation kick and a tart apple bite. Spice attacks the tongue nicely and leaves a good lingering finish. Great mouthfeel!

D - Solid drinkability, especially for this hot day! Fifteen is one hell of an anniversary ale I could finish off myself. Aging very nicely.

I was surprised to see this on tap in July 2010 at the Fort Worth Gingerman.

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a white head. The aroma is a lot of citrus fruit with some brett character. The flavor is a nice mix of brett, leather, oranges and yeast. Medium mouthfeel and medium character. Not bad.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 12/25/09

A - pours a clear copper orange with 2 fingers of white fluffy foam that slowly disappeared

S - funky smell, shoe leather, some spices but mainly funkiness

T - farmhouse, citrus, orange, some flowery taste but mainly the funk

M - dry mouthfeel, nicely carbonated

D - good flavor and funk, fruit might have died down a bit. I have another bottle and will age for some time and try again.

3.96/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottled April 2008, poured into a snifter.

A- Amazingly fluffy Duvel style white and rocky head atop a perfectly pale yellow beer. Leaves great thick lacing and has superb retention.

S- Smells quite tart and rather barnyardish. I never tried this beer when it was released but I can't pick up any of the fig character in the smell or taste.

T- Exceedingly dry almost like a champagne. Not nearly as tart or sour as it smell (to my disappointment). I no expert on figs but the label said it imparts a Jam like flavor. There is really no sweetness left in this brew so I imagine that flavor has been fermented out by the brett. I the very end I begin to possibly pick up on the pepper which is not necessarily an unfamiliar flavor (it just seems to emphasis a saison like taste) and adds a very slight burn to the back of the throat only noticeable after drinking most of the bottle.

M- Not a bad mouthfeel I just felt it to be average. Light on the tongue, a little too dry and yet somewhat of a lingering aftertaste.

D- Decent drinkability really nice on a warm summer night or day with enough kick to make a 22oz worth the buck.

4.28/5  rDev +19.2%

On-tap at the Brick Store Pub after 1 year in the keg. I really didn't like this beer at all when it first came out- way too sweet and far, far too much overripe fig with just a touch of sourness. Now, however, it's almost sublime. The Brett has worked its magic and eaten most of the sugars from the figs, balancing and souring the beer in the process. This is a completely different- and better beer. All of which prompts me to ask- why was it released when it was? It wasn't ready. There is a reason that breweries like Cantillon wait 3 years before releasing many of their lambics- it takes close to a year just for the Brett to do its magic and then they blend with older versions that are even more complex. I know this was an anniversary beer, but just chalk it up to experience after tasting, brew something else and make this the 16th anniversary rather than the 15th. All that being said, I loved the beer after a year . Pours a very hazy orange golden with a fairly nice all white head and great lacing. Smells somewhat funky, but there is more lemon than funk here. No band-aid (which I hate), and the hibiscus actually comes through now. Just a touch of horseblanket. Floral and citrusy predominantly. The taste is much, much nicer than when fresh. A little funk up front with nutty, earthy, and more horseblanket notes. This is followed by very ripe apricots, mango, pear, and lemon. Very smooth and a delight to savor. This is more like it!

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%

Avery Brewing Company--Fifteen Avery Anniversary Ale--Ale Brewed With Spices, Herbs And Figs--A refreshingly tart, fruity, funky farmhouse ale--Bottled in April 2008. 22 oz. Bottle. 7.68% ABV. 22 IBU's. (3.75 / 5.0) Belgian Ale--Farmhouse Sour Brett. Fizzy foamy lacy big pillowy white head. Fizzy clear bright rich pretty dark gold color. Funky fruit fig ester front. Dry sweet mildly sour funky citrus crisp peppery hibiscus fig infused thin rich fully fermented fruity pale malt body. Tart clean lingering herbal pepper end. Funky, Weird, Tasty. Mildly sour for a Brett. Big sediment pellicle mellows edges of flavor. Good, but I would not buy again. Sampled 6/25/2010. 2 @ $8.25 Each.

2.23/5  rDev -37.9%

I've had my share of wild ales, but this beer was definitely not what I was looking for. It is definitely spontaneously fermented with lots of horse-stable straw flavor, but it had almost no acidity to balance out the funk. It was like drinking a beer version of Rocqueforte cheese that wasn't salty or tart. Combined with a mineral quality it had a distinctly meaty taste. It looked alright, pale and couldy, with almost no head and smell was fine.

Most disappointing was that I had this at City Tap House in West Philadelphia, at an event termed, "Best of the best," when in fact this was one of the worst wild Ales I've ever tasted

3.12/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Pale straw yellow. Very cloudy / murky. Little to no head. Not the prettiest beer out there.

S - Musty, wet horse blanket funk, with a hint of lemon.

T - Taste follows the nose, with definite barnyard funk, but little to no tartness. Some spice and peppery flavors. Sort of a cross between an unflavored lambic and a saison, but not quite right in the balance.

M - Low carbonation and dry mouthfeel. Nothing special really going on.

D - I was content with the one, and had trouble getting through it at the end.

Overall, not terrible, but I've had better wild's from both Avery and elsewhere.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

A - Pale yellow with a slight orangish tint. Nice white head that didn't have much retention and no lacing. Looked good at first.

S - Mild funk, hay, sweetness. Little bit of lemon, smells saisonish.

T - Tastes like a weak saison, not really a huge fan. Little grassy, some lemon, slight bit of funk. Tastes like maybe this beer might have sat for too long. Tasted watered-down. Started to taste bad more I drank it.

M - Watery, carbonation bite doesn't work well.

D - Actually pretty drinkable as it's such a light beer, but the taste made me not really want to put more down.

2.52/5  rDev -29.8%

To be fair I am new to Saison's and Wild Ales. To date I like most of the sours I have gotten a hold of but this one was not my favorite.

The bottle is two years old and was purchased recently from a local store on sale. The pour is into a snifter by parts. The huge billowy snow white head sits atop a golden clear body. Lacing is evident throughout this drink.

The smell is very light. It is quite complex with smelly cheese funk and bright lemony aromas.

Taste is very funky. Missing is the lemon flavors I dig in this style and just too much funk is going on with a bit of metallic after taste. Some of that oxidation wet-cardboard is there as well.

Mouthfeel was spritzy and vibrant. It's just what I expect for the style.

Drinkability was difficult. I had to go through a whole bomber because I was drinking alone. I do not drain pour beers out of principle and this was no exception...but close.

Not my favorite to date but in fairness I may not have a well enough developed palate for this style just yet. I think the two year old oxidation issue could have come into factor here because it was not stored at ideal conditions for the last year. I would be curious to try a properly cellared version of this and will not give up on the style.

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2 years has done wonders for this beer. Poured from cellared bottle today.

A: Poured into a Duvel tulip - enormous mousey head that stayed for a long time and left great lacing. Beer was cyrstal clear, light copper color.

S: Brett, fruit, maybe some very faint non-citrusy hops. Some maltiness as it warms.

T: Lot's of stuff going on - the bitterness is comprable to Orval. Haven't had one in a while, but I think it is close to a funkier version of Orval. Bitterness increases as it warms. Maybe a tiny bit of tartness.

M: Lots of carbonation and some creaminess at the end - it's unusual to see these two together.

D: Yeah, you could drink this by the pail.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy, sunny yellow color, capped off with a nicely composed off-white head. Sweet, tart, musty nose, with a good bretty character. A little tart on the palate, with some subtle hops, citrus and peppery spiciness. Another good, but not great, anniversary effort from Avery.

Bottled April 2008, but purchased last weekend for a discount. Lucky me! Split this one with the wife. These wild ales are pretty new to us.

A - Minimal soapy head with big bubbles. Hazy yellow body.

S - There is a dry fruitiness up front, with a nice mix of musty barnyard brett and peppery spices backing it up.

T&M - Very well blended and complex after 2 years - exceedingly dry mouthfeel with heavy carbonation and a moderately sour finish leave me smacking my lips. At the same time, the blend of peppery spices and champagne-like fruitiness give plenty of flavor to enjoy. The brett is there from start to finish, and I like that.

D - Being new to the style means that I can't pound down a lot of sourish beer, but this has been the easiest drinking of the style I've had the chance to try. I hope to buy more!

Avery Anniversary Ale - Fifteen poured a hazy straw color with a one inch head and decent retention.

Aroma? So that's what Brettanomyces smells like! I always wondered. But I'll just stick with funk and floral and fresh nauga hyde.

The taste was peppery, applesauce (not apples), and prunes (the flavor moves me). I don't know whether to go ugh, or mmmh.

The mouth feel was medium bodied and well carbonated, but you can't help being swept up in some kind of oily wild ale thing that is more than the sum of it's parts. Ya know what I mean?

Drinkability? I dunno. I'm thinkin' good because I'm finishing up a bomber and I think I could do some more. But it might just be the wild ale in me talkin'.

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%

This bottle is nearly 2 years old at this point, so I figured it was finally time to bust it out of the cellar.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my New Belgium tulip a crystal clear yellow gold. A giant, rocky, white head forms on top and doesn't really shrink at all because of the nucleation site in the glass constantly refreshing it. The lacing down the sides hardly lets any glass show whatsoever through the wall of white foam.

SMELL: Quite floral and funky with the signature subdued tartness of the Brett. All these characteristics are quite strong but blend seamlessly to create a really interesting aroma experience.

TASTE: Crisp, clean, and light. Sadly not a whole lot of flavor comes through at all. What's there is assuredly a light funkiness from the Brett, but like most 100% Brett beers, the yeast character is subdued leaving behind a dry ale. I do like how any spicing or flavoring is restrained allowing the yeast to come through in its own way. A fine blend and balance of flavor, but I could have used more.

MOUTHFEEL: Carbonation is way up and body is way down. Sounds like just what you'd want out of a beer like this.

DRINKABILITY: The dryness is the big winner here, but what do you expect from 100% Brett. Regardless, I certainly be finishing my bomber.

This won't blow anyone away, but it really is worth paying attention to. It's technically sound and balanced wonderfully. Even though it isn't crazy sour or crazy fruity or whatever, it's still worth trying and buying.

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

A beer haiku for you:

A lambic? Not sure;
Is "fizzy" even a word?
Willl do without more.

"Fizzy" aftertaste, which ultimately put me off this beer. Not quite a lambic, which I assume that was the original intent. Not a bad beer--just unremarkable, which is unfortunate for this Colorado brewery of quality.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

A-Slightly hazy gold with a frothy white head that quickly dissipates, leaving some good sticky lacing.

S-Peppery with apricots, sour milk and zesty yeast. Just a bit funky, far less than the tap versions I have had.

T-And the flavor is as well. Honey in the front with green apples and apricots close behind, finishing with a bit of peppery yeast and a mild barnyard.

M-Crisp, dry and refreshing.

D-While not up to its tap version, this bottled version is awfully tasty.

4.32/5  rDev +20.3%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled in April 2008.

(A)- Pours a clear goldenrod color that produced a very large & fluffy yet effervescent white head with some good retention behind it. Left some clumps behind as it dissipated.

(S)- Wow, has a big floral nose with bits of figs, lemon peel, and honey. Finishes with a big barnyard funk of hay & horse blanket. Great dynamic smell that surprised me very much.

(T)- Very tart figs followed by a funkhouse of different fruits, hay, and musky honey. This is actually very funky, but in a good way. The figs create a jam-like consistency that plows into a dry & almost bitter farmhouse style beer. Finishes with a twinge of spice & more of those awesome figs.

(M)- I am rather surprised how nice the carbonation feel is. I was expecting a very high sparkling-like level, but that is not the case. Definitely higher than your normal beer, but it fits it well. Its dry, tart, sweet, bitter, and funky all at different times in each sip; a dynamic profile. A lighter body, but crisp & smooth.

(D)- A great & dynamic beer. Plenty of good things going on in it. Its refreshing & crisp. Fruity, but in a more subtle way than I would have guessed. This has aged gracefully & perhaps it still would have only gotten better? I might have to find out!

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

A rich take on a Belgian Wild from avery. Special tap offering with two years of age.

Presentation: 12 oz draft pour. Menu offers a god description noting style, intent, ingredients, and Alc. by Vol. (7.7%) It also adds that today the proceeds from this beer will be donated to Doctors Without Borders. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Hazy deep gold pour with a nice frothy head, medium retention, a fair surface memory, and some lacing.

S - Rich funky nose, freshness of brett, rotten apples, fruity notes, a complex spiciness, and a rich yeasty sense.

T - Fruity and complex spicy and funky range... Difficult to discern the figs or hibiscus... Things are working rather well as a nicely integrated unit. A bit sour but not over the top.

M - Medium to light body, with fine bubbly carbonation offering a tingly and smooth finish.

D - Very rich and pleasing brew. It´s complex, fresh but not overwhelming.

Notes: First Anniversary Ale I have from Avery, I think, and in this aged incarnation it feels great. I´m typically on a hit or miss relationship with Avery brews, luckily a few more hits than misses, but when you get a good one... I need to see If I can still find a bottle of this lying around somewhere.

1.71/5  rDev -52.4%

Beer poured a clear light amber with a nice head of pure white foam. Aroma has notes of sour citrus and unidentified florals.

Taste, however, is almost nothing but alcohol and a slight chemical burn that sticks in the back of the throat.

Likely a bad bottle, but not something I would chance on buying again. This will be the first bomber that I have ever poured down the drain.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured a cloudy amber haze with good carbonation. Nose is floral, sour and earthy with definite sour notes. Taste is sour hay, lemons, other sour tart fruits. Mouthfeel is sour, sweet and a slight booze. Nothig really makes it stand out but still good.

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a pale, hazy gold
Small,very fine, persistant white head.
Decent lacing on the side of the glass.
Aroma, very strong barnyard and leather, just a small hint of spiciness.
Taste, definate barnyard, some citrusy sourness and just a hint of malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel is medium in body, pretty smooth. Some prickliness from the carbonation.
Nice American wild ale, has the Belgian funkiness, but not too overwhelmingly sour like some wild ales.

4.89/5  rDev +36.2%

On sale now! I had to stock up. This beer was brewed in April 2008, and it tastes damn good today. In fact, I love it.

A – Pours a cloudy yellow-gold with a big head that quickly recedes, spotty lacing.

S – The aroma is of apples and autumn spices with a delicious lemon zest underpinning, with a pleasant slight medicinal / Band-Aid aroma as well.

T – Funky, sour, sweet, bitter; all in perfect moderation. Tart and dry start, sour and sweet tropical fruity middle. And bitter sour dark/dried fruity finish. Just a tremendously balanced and exquisitely flavored brew.

M – It feels nice, with not quite champagne dryness or effervescence, but a thin bubbly feel nonetheless.

D – This is one of my favorite beers. Ever.

Avery Anniversary Ale - Fifteen from Avery Brewing Company