Ale To The Chief | Avery Brewing Company

Ale To The ChiefAle To The Chief

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed occasionally during election years.

Added by GilGarp on 07-22-2008

Reviews: 396 | Ratings: 578
4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours an orange color, somewhat cloudy, with a nice head and lacing throughout. Smell is both sweet and tart fruits; some lemony citrus aromas, but faint and not overpowering. Some minor alcohol notes as well. Nice balance of sweetness with bitterness, well-rounded. Medium-bodied and refreshing. Overall a very good beer and worth seeking out.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from bomber a slightly hazy amber with white head which fades to a few clumps with thick lacing. Smell: pine, grapefruit, apricot, pineapple, sweet malt and grassy/floral notes. Taste: interesting progression: pine, grainy+caramel, pink grapefruit and sweet orange, earthy and caramel. Some astringent and citrus rind flavors at the end of the sip. This is a fairly sweet, malt forward dipa, but then again it's a democratic pale ale, so it's ok that it brings the change.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

The bartender told me this was a double IPA, which I am usually not that all enamored with D-IPA's. I thought I would give it a try anyways....

This is one smooth beer and full-flavored with a very clean finish.
The color was a nice copper color, with little head. Certainly the stronger taste of hops were evident, however, there is a very nice orange and pineapple flavor, which went very well with the hops...there was a nice malt foundation to keep all the flavors together - Nice taste!

I was very pleased and will certainly look forward to a re-visit!

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Color: hazy golden brown

Smell: very hoppy/piney. hint of pineapple and malty/sugary sweetness. wonderful aroma

Taste: great balance of strong hop presence and malt. character carries over from aroma. little bit of yeast in the finish

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. medium body

Notes: a centerfold of an imperial IPA. hops and alcohol tingles all the way through. gives Ruination a run with a little more fruit in the nose and on the tongue

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden orange in color, with a decent two finger white head with good lacing. A beautiful beer.
S: To be honest, I'm not usually big on IPAs or an imbalance of hops. But this smelled great! Citrusy grapefruit, orange, and and overall fruity smell tickled my nostrils. The piney smell of the hops was small, and the malt smelled sweet.
T: So much hop smell, but I found it to be a perfect balance of sweet malt and hop bitterness. The bitterness wasn't cloying like in some other IPAs, but balanced the malt perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised.
M: Perfect amount of carbonation and medium body. Very good feel in your mouth.
D: Highly drinkable. This was the first IPA of any sort that my girlfriend actually drank with me. I was very impressed.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

A= darker orange color hinting on brown. Decent lacing and a respectable head that falls quickly to a ring.
S= resiny pine and citrus hops. Grassy with a little malt sweetness coming through.
T= just like the smell with the tasty hops. Some alcohol is detected late.
M= Good. Less creamy than most doubles however.
D= pretty high. This beer was ok... Not totally impressed with it but I suppose it was worth trying. This is my first from Avery and prolly not my last. I won't buy this one again but I can see myself exploring more of their beers.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Meant to drink this yesterday, but I completely forgot!

A - pours a slightly hazy burnt orange with a white head that subsided to a film pretty fast

S - hoppy all up in my nostrils. Tons of sweet pineapple with some nice floral notes. Actually fairly malty as well now that I sniff again

T - this is nice. It really isn't as hoppy as I thought it would be upon first smell out of the bottle. I mean there is some bitterness, but the sweet and fruity aspects of the hops are really the star of the show, especially that pineapple. Malt provides a nice backbone for an all around enjoyable experience

M - medium bodied with a pleasant amount of carbonation. Nice and smooth going down

D - this is good. Then again, it's from Avery, so big shocker. Would drink again, and I love the concept! Will finish bomber no questions asked

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Tasted during inauguration weekend in D.C. to celebrate the swearing in of President Barack Obama.

A: Clear radiant orange with decent head.

S: Orange, grapefruit, pomelos, fresh cut flowers... yep, this one's definitely an IPA.

T: Multi-layered: the citrus interchanges with the hops in an almost playful manner. First a citrusy-orange hits the tongue, followed by the first hop bite. Then, interestingly enough, it becomes mellower again and devolves to citrus-flavored caramel candy before hitting the second, more pronounced, hop bite.

M: As concurrent with the taste, creamy/bitter/creamy/bitter.

D: If you like the feel of hop bitterness and tartness in your mouth, then by God you've found the right beer.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

Insanely good aroma straight out the shoot. It has that signature Avery mouthwatering blend of sweet oranges, pineapple, ruby reds, and a good tropical blend of fruit coctails. Beers just don't smell any better.

...ooh and there's the heafty malt supports underneath with a near syrupy swirl of caramel, malted barley, and confectionate sugars. Fruity esters compliment the citrusy notes that the hops contribute and round out the acidic nature of the grapefruits, lemon zest, and orange rinds.

The malts hold firm from the tranfer of nose to flavor. But the hop flavors settle into a standard citrus and pine character that's generally found in average IIPA's. That juicy, generous aroma gives up a lot going into the taste. The alcohols give an unsettling bitterness and the yeast gives some soapy, nail polish flavors that's tough to accept.

As most IIPA's also do, Ale to the Cheif has a lush, full texture that forgoes the crisp, well-attenuated character that standard IPA's offer for the sweeter, heavier, more syrupy textures that sacrifices drinkability in the end.

Of course it's a fantastic IIPA-- that's what Avery does as well as anyone in brewing. But that aroma promises a perfect 5 that the flavors and body cannot possibly attain. Good job Avery!

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Clear orange golden body with a large bright white head. The head dissipated to a small foamy covering and left a decent lacing.

A- Immediately upon opening I was hit with some grapefruit aromas as well as some piney resiny aromas.

T- Wow, there is quite a bit more malt backing than I initially expected from the aroma and look of the beer. Sweet malt with a spicy kick. Wonderfully bitter. I got a lot more piney hop flavors than grapefruit.

M- Medium-full body, moderate carbonation. Quite a bit more body than I originally expected.

D- It was certainly a fun idea, and not too bad of a beer either. Not exactly an Imperial IPA, perhaps somewhere in between an IPA and an IIPA.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

We brought this beer with us to the Inauguration in Washington DC to celebrate... (video here: http://www.hereforthebeer.com/inauguration-day-ale-to-the-chief-washington-dc/)

It pours a clear amber with an orange hue. The smell has a beautiful bouquet of cascade hops and a fresh floral aroma. The taste begins bold, bitter and hoppy yet finishes with a citrus... I'd say grapefruit like characteristic. The mouthfeel is great, very smooth covering many areas of ones taste buds. This was an easy and enjoyable beer to drink.

This beer was a nice "change" and leaves us with a sense of "hope".

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Like many here, I drank this on Inauguration Day. I made the mistake of waiting until the big day to buy it, however. Luckily, I was able to track down two bottles after a bit of a search.

A: Copper colored with a slight haze. Cream colored head is big and rocky. Head retention is great, and much lace stays behind in its wake.

S: Kind of like stepping into a forest. Pine and oak scents dominate the experience, plus a hint of grapefruit citrus. There is also an anise aroma that's along for the ride.

T: Not the hop bomb I was expecting and certainly different. Hops do dominate the experience, but not in the form of bitterness. Instead, the theme from the nose continues with intense pine forest flavors. The anise theme comes through and adds an extra bit of complexity. Alcohol adds warmth and an additional bitter bite.

M: Medium body feels oily and a touch leafy. Carbonation level is just right.

D: A very nice beer overall. It felt a little rough around the edges though. I've kept a second bottle to cellar for bit so I can see if this beer mellows with age. All in all, a perfect beer for my 300th review.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a hazy burnt orange-amber with a nice big bubbled off white head.
The first whiff reminded me of orange-pineapple juice. Lots of pineapple and citrus rind. Not a lot of sugar sweetness coming through. Some very light brown sugar and honey aromas.
Flavor is pretty similar to the aroma. Again, the first sip kind of reminded me of pineapple-orange juice. But, later sips reveal bits of pine, grapefruit rind. The malt sweetness is still a little hidden, but it is present and offers an attempt at balancing the hops. Despite how hoppy this beer is, it is not too bitter.
Medium bodied. A little sticky/syrupy, but not too thick. Nice carbonation.
Quite drinkable. Very nice flavors make this a good drinker, maybe not an all-night drinker, but a good bottle to share.
We've been using this as an electoral themed beer the last few months, at an Election night party and at an Inauguration "celebration," and I've enjoyed this beer each time. Definitely recommended even at a non-political event.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Inauguaration Day January 20, 2009.

A. Hazy and burnt orange. Head is loose and sticky hanging out for quite a while. 4

S. Some grapefruit and pineapples, over ripened--hops are citrusy and very reiseny. Honey and light brown sugar round out the nose.

T. Fruity and sweet with cherries, oranges, pineapples, and grapefruit. Alcohol and bitterness are the only two things keeping this from tasting like fruit punch. Great hop profile and a pronounced bitterness make this beer what it is.

M. Thick and chewy with middle of the road carbonation.

D. The perfect beer for Inauguration Day as it says on the label, good timing and a great beer make for a nice experience. I'll grab more of these babies for later.

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

I bought a bomber of Ale to the Chief at a grocery store, just after Election Day 2008, and carefully stored it for January 20, 2009. It is now 9:00 PM PST and I am seeing the video of the day's proceeding for the first time while drinking this beer. Poured into a snifter.

Pours a bronze/gold color and is slightly hazy. Modest creamy white head. Not particularly sticky, little lacing.

Smell is very good. An aroma of sweet soft malted pine needles, and citrus fruits.

Taste is also sweet, a sweet spicy bread flavor, a little soft fruit and citrus flavor, with a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is fullbodied and smooth, with just hint of alcohol heat.

Not a real sessionable brew, but a drinkable one. I'm not convinced it is an Imperial IPA. The label calls it a "Presidential Pale Ale" an I think that is accurate.

I'll keep the bottle in my collection of 4 or 5 bottles and almost 50 beer steins.

In closing I'll leave this for the historians among us. This was a great beer for the day. So may God bless Avery Brewing, may God bless George W. Bush (he meant well but knew not what he did), may God bless Barack Obama (we'll see about him), and may God bless the United States of America.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Big thanks to HopsAreOverrated for getting this to me by Inauguration Eve!

Pours medium golden brown, with a spiral jet of air weaving its way up the center of my goblet. Big light-peach head is sticky, doesn't leave much lacing. Yet it smells soapy. Slick. soapy and flowery, with the smell of a mango-like tropical fruit backing a big pine scent. To my untrained nose, the soapy smells dominate, and the hops and things I should be smelling take a back seat. I'm not the biggest fan of IPAs, so this will be interesting.

First impressions: Slick and soapy. Malts lead to a slightly sweet body before the hops kick in. It's not a hop bomb by any stretch, once that grapefruity pineyness kicks in, its a slow burn to the finish as the alcohol also makes itself very evident. There's a lot going on here. As time goes on, it makes for a better experience, but to me, the soapiness up front detracts from the experience. I'd rather it be drier, and without the cloying stickiness/soap taste. Nevertheless, I'd give it "good but not great" marks across the board. If you can look past that facet, I like how the hop sensation lingers without overloading you. Medium bodied, good carbonation and feel, and for me, okay drinkability (even though it's a sipper here), as it really takes a hit with the unpleasant soapiness.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 22 oz. bomber stored at 55 degrees since it's purchase last fall, and poured into an Imperial Pint glass on Inauguration Day 01/20/2009 as per the brewery's intentions (I think). Color is a copper orange and hazy with a 1+ finger head of rocky, dense off-white foam. Head shows nice retention and leaves some fine lacing with a bit of stick on the glass. Not much carbonation noticeable in the drink.

S: Bready sweet malts are the most prevalent in the nose. The hops are there and their floral/herbal presence is inviting, but not overpowering. They definitely take a backseat to the malt.

T/M: Doughy and yeasty up front. Slightly astringent. There's a nice hop bitterness in the finish that lingers on the back of the tongue for awhile. The bitterness is the only truly detectable hop characteristic, but it balances out nicely with the bready malt sweetness. I wish the hop character was a little more aggressive, but I'm not totally disappointed. Feel is medium-bodied with a mouth-tingling carbonation.

D/O: I followed Avery's orders and waited until today to enjoy this beer, but I wish the experience was a little more hop-forward. To me the beer was more about the malt than the hops, which isn't an APA in my book, but I may have missed this beer's sweet spot by letting it sit for so long. I wish I had tried one completely fresh to see if there was a difference. Regardless, the result was an extremely enjoyable, eminently drinkable beer (though on a less-than-full stomach I was feeling the effects by the time I finished), just not one that lived up to my expectations. I pray the Presidency it celebrates lives up to our country's expectations of it.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Purchased just after election day. I've had to keep this out of sight in the back of the fridge so as not to be consumed prematurely. Moments ago I took it out and noted that it was way too cold to drink. After warming by hand as best as possible I popped the top and got a satisfying champagne cork -type pop. This is a celebratory ale.

Poured gently into a DFH 22oz snifter the color is a copper-ish orange. The head, if you could call it that, is a few islands of medium-sized bubbles surrounded by a sea of smaller more permanent bubbles and a thin but solid ring around the outside.

Smell is almost exclusively caramel to my nose. Not just caramel malt but the actual caramel candies that came in cubes I ate as a child.

A gentle swirl creates a half-finger head, off white with some scattered cous-cous sized lacing.

Taste is big caramel in the middle and a gentle bitter cascade hop finish that lingers. A slight booze burn pokes up in between the two but it does not make a scene.

The mouth feel is terrific. Nice creamy bubbles balance the caramel body making it easy to take double sips. Though there is a hop presence that lingers a bit, this is not a hop bomb as many doubles strive for. It's big but balanced.

Overall the drinkability is perfect. I would have a hard time refusing another one of these under safe circumstances.

I would really like to see this as a year round beer but they would have to modify the the label, which is extraordinarily cool. The bottle is worth keeping but knowing that I will at some point have to throw it out here is the text on the labbel in its entirety, minus the government warnings.

Ale to the Chief!
A Presidential Pale Ale to celebrate Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009

We the Brewers of Avery Brewing Company, in order to form a more perfect ale, require new leadership that can liberate us from our quagmires in foreign lands; embrace environmentally sound energy alternatives to imported oil; heal our ailing health care system; free us from tyrannical debt and resurrect the collapsing dollar. We hereby pledge to provide him with an ample amount of or Presidential Pale Ale to support in the struggle for the aforementioned goals!

Hail to the New Chief!
<signed by the brewers>

This is all on the main parchment-looking main label. Up the side it also reads:

Not an "Imperial" pale ale, this is a democracy. It's Presidential! Take the all-American pale ale, a bipartisan blend of malt and hops, increase both to Avery Brewing standards, and then, of course, dry hop the result with that most quintessential of American hops, Cascades, and you get this ... Ale to the Chief. A brew worthy of the Oval Office!

Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, hops and yeast.

That's it. If I ever see this on the shelves again anywhere I will likely buy them all. It's that good.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been saving this one for just one special occasion and what other day could I drink this on but Inauguration Day!

A Presidential Pale Ale

Pours a beautifully clear orange color with yellow hues and a sticky white head that is alrady leaving a nice lace.

The smell is amazing and has a beautiful bouquet of cascade hops and an amazing floral aroma.

Whoa! Smooth yet quite bitter. It soothes the tongue and yet bites the tastebuds. Lots of citrus and piney notes with a caramel sweetness that is blended so well with the hops. Very pleasing and it packs a punch. I get bits of pear and grapefruit that finishes dry and leaves an evergreen tingle on the back of my tongue. I'm not picking up a strong presence of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is smooth and really hits all areas of the palate.

Really a solid beer and gives me a lot of hope for the future.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 650ml bomber into a pint glass. No dating info but this a one-time brew so know the age of it. Really cool label that is set to mimic the Constitution. It was a cloudy orange amber color with yeast bits floating around. Carb geyser in center of glass. Bunch of sticky lace. It had a massive off-white head that really slowly settled into a thick foam. Excellent overall appearance.

The aroma was heavy on citric and pine hops with a sweet caramel malt base underneath. Stayed short of being a hop bomb which I enjoyed. The taste was excellent as well. Again, stayed short of a hop bomb which I wasn't in the mood for tonight so it was perfect. Starts out smooth and lingers before the hops hit. When they done, it's a nice slow burn instead of a H-bomb that then fades to set you up for the next drink. Very well balanced. Nice bitter after-taste.

Overall, an excellent beer that I would love to see become part of their regular lineup instead of being just a one-off. Highly recommend. Gonna have to pick up a couple more before they run out.

From notes.

22oz bomber purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane at least two months ago, for $7.99. It may be a tremendous cliche, but I drank this on Inauguration Day (20 January, 2009, for you future beer historians).

Glorious looking beer! A burnt-orange color with a big, creamy off-white head that dropped in stately fashion and left lots of lace on the sides of my glass. Tiny, grainy sediment can be seen if one stares with enough intensity to risk eyestrain.

Hops, hops, hops. Big, piney, sappy (in the best sense of the word) hops, citrusy hops, peppery hops - all present and accounted for. Biscuity maltiness in the background. Way in the background.

Big piney hop blast that is quickly matched up with a citrusy, grapefruit-like bite. A peppery, spicy taste is in the background. The malts are present, but cowering at the rear, if taste has a rear. Bone-dry note at the swallow.

Medium bodied, with a prickly yet oily mouthfeel. Just like a DIPA should be.

An outstanding "occaision beer", and while it doesn't have the same effect upon the palate as, say, a bomber of Ruination or a big RIS, I don't think it's something I'd pair with food or attempt to session. I'm not sure that this beer is the best tasting DIPA I've had, but it ranks up there. If I could be guaranteed that this is a beer version of how the newly-installed administration will be, I could submit a re-election ballot right now.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

Enjoyed on Inauguration Day

Appearance: A rich burnt-orange, crystal clear body with a firm, off-white head on top. Lacing is good.

Aroma: As you'd expect from a Double IPA, as soon as the bottle is opened, hops flood the air. They're of the classic Cascade profile: bright citrus and pine. There's a caramel base under all the hops, but I'm not getting the amount of booze I was expecting.

Taste: Good hops up front, followed by lots of sweet caramel malt. The hops could be a bit more assertive for my tastes, but everything meshes well here. There's a long hoppy finish, with a bit of booze around the edges.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with fine carbonation and a bit of warming alcohol. Dries in the finish.

Drinkability: Double IPAs are not know for their drinkability, but I would say this is slightly more drinkable than your average example. The booze is hidden excellently, I'd never guess this was over eight percent.

Verdict: Not just a gimmick, Avery have crafted a great beer for this occasion. This is a perfect accompaniment to today's events. I only wish that I was able to source more than the one bottle I managed to find. Ale to the chief!

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Probably a big bump in the reviews of this beer today: Just got it in a trade with SincereNC, literally today.

Poured into my trusty DFH snifter. Decent inch of creamy white head with moderate retention. Light orange copper color, moderately hazy.

Avery has a very distinct smell to me: Sweet and tart, plump grapefruit, honey, floral. Very rich.

Very floral, almost grassy. Nut and honey are prominent. Grapefruit and citrus is not as strong as I thought it might be, but theyre there. Caramel smoothness.

Moderately light on the tongue, but heavy on the aftertaste. Hop bitterness is prominent.

Drinkable? Today it is. But seriously, itll still be pretty drinkable tomorrow.

This beer reminds me alot of the year or so old Maharajas I recently came across. It has alot of similarities to the Maharaja but the hops are muted, leaving behind a caramel sweetness. Throw in a couple new tastes (grass and nuts) and youve got a pretty good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured on Inauguration Day (natch), as a warm-me-up to follow being on the mall, where it was cold (but heart-warming and full of good tidings). It seemed to pour a rather bright, light, and clear orange but the beer in my tulip is a cloudy (to the point of being opaque) and rather dark orange / copper. Creamy (in color and texture) head ended up settling, after a nice retention time, to a whispy but thick, island-filled cap and a pretty darn thick ring. Impressive tree-ring lacing.

Lots of grapefruit to the aroma, but there is also a strongly discernible caramel malt base.

Nougat and caramel in a strong malt flavor that is established before citrus, lemon zest and hops in general start to heavily compete for attention. A sharp, whole-grain bread flavor evinces itself slightly alongside the CO2. Finishes with grapefruit and some pine bittering, but also a sweetness that seems to come alongside a slight buttery taste and sensation (resin?).

Crisp carbonation, a very "solid"-seeming, refreshing beer that nonetheless has hints of a slippery feeling. Thickens as it warms.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Consumed on Inauguration Day

A golden amber tinted medium brown liquid. Two fingers of creamy light tan colored foam. Great retention and excellent lacing.

Good mix of citrus and pine hops. Big pine notes are combined with big, lush, tropical notes. Nice pineapple presence. Slight presence of caramel sweetness. Big grassy notes. Decent notes of yeasty bread.
It really smells delicious.

Not nearly the hop bomb that the nose had me prepared for. Still a good hop presence, just not as dominant as expected.
Main component of taste seems to be big, butterey, yeasty bread. It has faint traces of caramel on it. It's been dipped in pine sap and some sort of tropical/citrus juice. The whole thing is covered in fresh, green, grass.

Feels thin, crisp and sharp. I like beers to be more full and lush. Lightly sticky.

Fairly decently drinkable, overall. Although, for me, I think that I prefer to smell it.

Ale To The Chief from Avery Brewing Company