Ale To The Chief | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Originally brewed to celebrate Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009, we elected to give Ale to the Chief a second term to commemorate the 2012 election!​ ​Not an “Imperial” pale ale, this is a democracy. It’s Presidential! Take the all-American pale ale, a bipartisan blend of malt and hops, increase both to Avery Brewing standards, and then, of c​​ourse, dry hop the result with that most quintessential of American hops, Cascades, and you get this…a brew worthy of the Oval Office!

Added by GilGarp on 07-22-2008

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

I bought a bomber of Ale to the Chief at a grocery store, just after Election Day 2008, and carefully stored it for January 20, 2009. It is now 9:00 PM PST and I am seeing the video of the day's proceeding for the first time while drinking this beer. Poured into a snifter.

Pours a bronze/gold color and is slightly hazy. Modest creamy white head. Not particularly sticky, little lacing.

Smell is very good. An aroma of sweet soft malted pine needles, and citrus fruits.

Taste is also sweet, a sweet spicy bread flavor, a little soft fruit and citrus flavor, with a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is fullbodied and smooth, with just hint of alcohol heat.

Not a real sessionable brew, but a drinkable one. I'm not convinced it is an Imperial IPA. The label calls it a "Presidential Pale Ale" an I think that is accurate.

I'll keep the bottle in my collection of 4 or 5 bottles and almost 50 beer steins.

In closing I'll leave this for the historians among us. This was a great beer for the day. So may God bless Avery Brewing, may God bless George W. Bush (he meant well but knew not what he did), may God bless Barack Obama (we'll see about him), and may God bless the United States of America.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Big thanks to HopsAreOverrated for getting this to me by Inauguration Eve!

Pours medium golden brown, with a spiral jet of air weaving its way up the center of my goblet. Big light-peach head is sticky, doesn't leave much lacing. Yet it smells soapy. Slick. soapy and flowery, with the smell of a mango-like tropical fruit backing a big pine scent. To my untrained nose, the soapy smells dominate, and the hops and things I should be smelling take a back seat. I'm not the biggest fan of IPAs, so this will be interesting.

First impressions: Slick and soapy. Malts lead to a slightly sweet body before the hops kick in. It's not a hop bomb by any stretch, once that grapefruity pineyness kicks in, its a slow burn to the finish as the alcohol also makes itself very evident. There's a lot going on here. As time goes on, it makes for a better experience, but to me, the soapiness up front detracts from the experience. I'd rather it be drier, and without the cloying stickiness/soap taste. Nevertheless, I'd give it "good but not great" marks across the board. If you can look past that facet, I like how the hop sensation lingers without overloading you. Medium bodied, good carbonation and feel, and for me, okay drinkability (even though it's a sipper here), as it really takes a hit with the unpleasant soapiness.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 22 oz. bomber stored at 55 degrees since it's purchase last fall, and poured into an Imperial Pint glass on Inauguration Day 01/20/2009 as per the brewery's intentions (I think). Color is a copper orange and hazy with a 1+ finger head of rocky, dense off-white foam. Head shows nice retention and leaves some fine lacing with a bit of stick on the glass. Not much carbonation noticeable in the drink.

S: Bready sweet malts are the most prevalent in the nose. The hops are there and their floral/herbal presence is inviting, but not overpowering. They definitely take a backseat to the malt.

T/M: Doughy and yeasty up front. Slightly astringent. There's a nice hop bitterness in the finish that lingers on the back of the tongue for awhile. The bitterness is the only truly detectable hop characteristic, but it balances out nicely with the bready malt sweetness. I wish the hop character was a little more aggressive, but I'm not totally disappointed. Feel is medium-bodied with a mouth-tingling carbonation.

D/O: I followed Avery's orders and waited until today to enjoy this beer, but I wish the experience was a little more hop-forward. To me the beer was more about the malt than the hops, which isn't an APA in my book, but I may have missed this beer's sweet spot by letting it sit for so long. I wish I had tried one completely fresh to see if there was a difference. Regardless, the result was an extremely enjoyable, eminently drinkable beer (though on a less-than-full stomach I was feeling the effects by the time I finished), just not one that lived up to my expectations. I pray the Presidency it celebrates lives up to our country's expectations of it.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Purchased just after election day. I've had to keep this out of sight in the back of the fridge so as not to be consumed prematurely. Moments ago I took it out and noted that it was way too cold to drink. After warming by hand as best as possible I popped the top and got a satisfying champagne cork -type pop. This is a celebratory ale.

Poured gently into a DFH 22oz snifter the color is a copper-ish orange. The head, if you could call it that, is a few islands of medium-sized bubbles surrounded by a sea of smaller more permanent bubbles and a thin but solid ring around the outside.

Smell is almost exclusively caramel to my nose. Not just caramel malt but the actual caramel candies that came in cubes I ate as a child.

A gentle swirl creates a half-finger head, off white with some scattered cous-cous sized lacing.

Taste is big caramel in the middle and a gentle bitter cascade hop finish that lingers. A slight booze burn pokes up in between the two but it does not make a scene.

The mouth feel is terrific. Nice creamy bubbles balance the caramel body making it easy to take double sips. Though there is a hop presence that lingers a bit, this is not a hop bomb as many doubles strive for. It's big but balanced.

Overall the drinkability is perfect. I would have a hard time refusing another one of these under safe circumstances.

I would really like to see this as a year round beer but they would have to modify the the label, which is extraordinarily cool. The bottle is worth keeping but knowing that I will at some point have to throw it out here is the text on the labbel in its entirety, minus the government warnings.

Ale to the Chief!
A Presidential Pale Ale to celebrate Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009

We the Brewers of Avery Brewing Company, in order to form a more perfect ale, require new leadership that can liberate us from our quagmires in foreign lands; embrace environmentally sound energy alternatives to imported oil; heal our ailing health care system; free us from tyrannical debt and resurrect the collapsing dollar. We hereby pledge to provide him with an ample amount of or Presidential Pale Ale to support in the struggle for the aforementioned goals!

Hail to the New Chief!
<signed by the brewers>

This is all on the main parchment-looking main label. Up the side it also reads:

Not an "Imperial" pale ale, this is a democracy. It's Presidential! Take the all-American pale ale, a bipartisan blend of malt and hops, increase both to Avery Brewing standards, and then, of course, dry hop the result with that most quintessential of American hops, Cascades, and you get this ... Ale to the Chief. A brew worthy of the Oval Office!

Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, hops and yeast.

That's it. If I ever see this on the shelves again anywhere I will likely buy them all. It's that good.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been saving this one for just one special occasion and what other day could I drink this on but Inauguration Day!

A Presidential Pale Ale

Pours a beautifully clear orange color with yellow hues and a sticky white head that is alrady leaving a nice lace.

The smell is amazing and has a beautiful bouquet of cascade hops and an amazing floral aroma.

Whoa! Smooth yet quite bitter. It soothes the tongue and yet bites the tastebuds. Lots of citrus and piney notes with a caramel sweetness that is blended so well with the hops. Very pleasing and it packs a punch. I get bits of pear and grapefruit that finishes dry and leaves an evergreen tingle on the back of my tongue. I'm not picking up a strong presence of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is smooth and really hits all areas of the palate.

Really a solid beer and gives me a lot of hope for the future.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 650ml bomber into a pint glass. No dating info but this a one-time brew so know the age of it. Really cool label that is set to mimic the Constitution. It was a cloudy orange amber color with yeast bits floating around. Carb geyser in center of glass. Bunch of sticky lace. It had a massive off-white head that really slowly settled into a thick foam. Excellent overall appearance.

The aroma was heavy on citric and pine hops with a sweet caramel malt base underneath. Stayed short of being a hop bomb which I enjoyed. The taste was excellent as well. Again, stayed short of a hop bomb which I wasn't in the mood for tonight so it was perfect. Starts out smooth and lingers before the hops hit. When they done, it's a nice slow burn instead of a H-bomb that then fades to set you up for the next drink. Very well balanced. Nice bitter after-taste.

Overall, an excellent beer that I would love to see become part of their regular lineup instead of being just a one-off. Highly recommend. Gonna have to pick up a couple more before they run out.

From notes.

22oz bomber purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane at least two months ago, for $7.99. It may be a tremendous cliche, but I drank this on Inauguration Day (20 January, 2009, for you future beer historians).

Glorious looking beer! A burnt-orange color with a big, creamy off-white head that dropped in stately fashion and left lots of lace on the sides of my glass. Tiny, grainy sediment can be seen if one stares with enough intensity to risk eyestrain.

Hops, hops, hops. Big, piney, sappy (in the best sense of the word) hops, citrusy hops, peppery hops - all present and accounted for. Biscuity maltiness in the background. Way in the background.

Big piney hop blast that is quickly matched up with a citrusy, grapefruit-like bite. A peppery, spicy taste is in the background. The malts are present, but cowering at the rear, if taste has a rear. Bone-dry note at the swallow.

Medium bodied, with a prickly yet oily mouthfeel. Just like a DIPA should be.

An outstanding "occaision beer", and while it doesn't have the same effect upon the palate as, say, a bomber of Ruination or a big RIS, I don't think it's something I'd pair with food or attempt to session. I'm not sure that this beer is the best tasting DIPA I've had, but it ranks up there. If I could be guaranteed that this is a beer version of how the newly-installed administration will be, I could submit a re-election ballot right now.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

Enjoyed on Inauguration Day

Appearance: A rich burnt-orange, crystal clear body with a firm, off-white head on top. Lacing is good.

Aroma: As you'd expect from a Double IPA, as soon as the bottle is opened, hops flood the air. They're of the classic Cascade profile: bright citrus and pine. There's a caramel base under all the hops, but I'm not getting the amount of booze I was expecting.

Taste: Good hops up front, followed by lots of sweet caramel malt. The hops could be a bit more assertive for my tastes, but everything meshes well here. There's a long hoppy finish, with a bit of booze around the edges.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with fine carbonation and a bit of warming alcohol. Dries in the finish.

Drinkability: Double IPAs are not know for their drinkability, but I would say this is slightly more drinkable than your average example. The booze is hidden excellently, I'd never guess this was over eight percent.

Verdict: Not just a gimmick, Avery have crafted a great beer for this occasion. This is a perfect accompaniment to today's events. I only wish that I was able to source more than the one bottle I managed to find. Ale to the chief!

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Probably a big bump in the reviews of this beer today: Just got it in a trade with SincereNC, literally today.

Poured into my trusty DFH snifter. Decent inch of creamy white head with moderate retention. Light orange copper color, moderately hazy.

Avery has a very distinct smell to me: Sweet and tart, plump grapefruit, honey, floral. Very rich.

Very floral, almost grassy. Nut and honey are prominent. Grapefruit and citrus is not as strong as I thought it might be, but theyre there. Caramel smoothness.

Moderately light on the tongue, but heavy on the aftertaste. Hop bitterness is prominent.

Drinkable? Today it is. But seriously, itll still be pretty drinkable tomorrow.

This beer reminds me alot of the year or so old Maharajas I recently came across. It has alot of similarities to the Maharaja but the hops are muted, leaving behind a caramel sweetness. Throw in a couple new tastes (grass and nuts) and youve got a pretty good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured on Inauguration Day (natch), as a warm-me-up to follow being on the mall, where it was cold (but heart-warming and full of good tidings). It seemed to pour a rather bright, light, and clear orange but the beer in my tulip is a cloudy (to the point of being opaque) and rather dark orange / copper. Creamy (in color and texture) head ended up settling, after a nice retention time, to a whispy but thick, island-filled cap and a pretty darn thick ring. Impressive tree-ring lacing.

Lots of grapefruit to the aroma, but there is also a strongly discernible caramel malt base.

Nougat and caramel in a strong malt flavor that is established before citrus, lemon zest and hops in general start to heavily compete for attention. A sharp, whole-grain bread flavor evinces itself slightly alongside the CO2. Finishes with grapefruit and some pine bittering, but also a sweetness that seems to come alongside a slight buttery taste and sensation (resin?).

Crisp carbonation, a very "solid"-seeming, refreshing beer that nonetheless has hints of a slippery feeling. Thickens as it warms.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Consumed on Inauguration Day

A golden amber tinted medium brown liquid. Two fingers of creamy light tan colored foam. Great retention and excellent lacing.

Good mix of citrus and pine hops. Big pine notes are combined with big, lush, tropical notes. Nice pineapple presence. Slight presence of caramel sweetness. Big grassy notes. Decent notes of yeasty bread.
It really smells delicious.

Not nearly the hop bomb that the nose had me prepared for. Still a good hop presence, just not as dominant as expected.
Main component of taste seems to be big, butterey, yeasty bread. It has faint traces of caramel on it. It's been dipped in pine sap and some sort of tropical/citrus juice. The whole thing is covered in fresh, green, grass.

Feels thin, crisp and sharp. I like beers to be more full and lush. Lightly sticky.

Fairly decently drinkable, overall. Although, for me, I think that I prefer to smell it.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

[email protected]

A: Orange/Red with a huge, compact, head.

S: Pine, Citric notes, Hops, Fruit.

T: Pine, Citric notes, Exotic fruit, Sweet malt and some caramel.

M: Nice balanced brew with alot of hops in it. Gets somewhat bitter at the end but worked perfectly to sip away at during an hour.

Great DIPA/Strong Ale from Avery that i'll gladly try again!

Consumed on Inauguration Day 2009, 1/20/09

22oz bomber

Poured a nice light copper/amber color two finger creamy white head. Aroma is sweet and hoppy. Taste, however, is much different. A strong front alcohol bomb with cascade hops following and finishing with that sweet taste from the aroma. Finish is bitter with some alcohol lingering on the tongue. Mouthfeel has a bit of stickiness but overall medium body and smooth. A great beer with a taste that is signifying the change to come.

3.69/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Amber in color with a mighty two inch head that takes quite awhile to retreat leaving significant lacing in its wake.

S - Grassy, resinous, and citrus odors are supported by a great bread-like malt character and a bit of tropical fruit. This stuff truly smells delicious.

T - In taste it lacks the hop punch one would expect from the nose. Outside of that there are notes of tropical fruit intermingled with the grassy resinous taste from the hops, but the taste is fairly subdued. A slight amount of alcohol is detectable in the finish which is crisp and dry becoming a bit sweeter as the glass warms to near room temp.

M - Medium in body and slightly sticky

D - Overall it is a fairly solid brew, but nothing particularly amazing. I wish the complexity present in the nose would have carried over into the flavor a bit more.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottle: Poured a copper color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some minimal lacing. Aroma of C-hops is pretty strong and dominating with some nice clean citrus notes easily detectable. Taste is also dominated by some cascade hops with some clear citrus notes and a medium dry caramel malt body. Good carbonation with a full body and no alcohol was apparent. Nothing to write about home but very well done for the style nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

From 22 oz. bomber. My first Avery beer.

Dark amber to light orange appearance. Clean looking off-white head that settles quickly to a full-covering skim. More malts than hops on the nose - biscuit and cracker-like aromas that are very nice. A slight citrus note pokes through from the hops. Starts out sweet upon entry and then turns bitter with a good hit of piney, somewhat weedy hops. Though present, the sweetness isn't really bothersome. Medium bodied with prickly carbonation. Pretty good drinkability and a good beer but not really a must have DIPA for me, especially after downing two HopSlams last night, which blows Ale To The Chief away.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

A: nice amber color with a large amount of carbonation running through it. the head poors pretty thin and dissipates quickly leaving a strong lacing.

S: Overtly sweet malt character with a hint of citrus y hops.

T: leans to the maltier side, very little flavor/bittering/aroma hop character coming through and a strong malt character that sometimes leans on the sweet side.

M: for me personally I would like to see more carbonation for how thin the liquid is.

D: not sure how many of these I would like to have. sweetness pulls me away, especially because of the style.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Slightly hazy brownish orange colored with a thick half inch of dimpled meringue.

Aroma of honey and tangerine, some grapefruit and green apple.

Rich and sharp flavor of orange rind, ripe fruit, tea leaves, sweetish biscuit malt, and honey. Slight warming of the cheeks and tingling tip of the tongue.

Thick and full mouthfeel, finishes crisp and a bit dry. Very tasty and drinkable for a big beer, but rich flavor may overwhelm after a few.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Reviewed on 10/11/08. Bottle. Pours a clear dirty orange with a thick, foamy white head. Aroma of bitter citrusy hops, cracker malt, and iced tea. Flavor of nice bitter hops and slight iced tea. Pretty good ASA, but it's a little sweet.
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Pours a bright and clear amber orange with a tall and puffy soft white head.

S- Flows forth dominated by citrus scents of tangerines and orange rind slight hints of mango and pineapple sweetness in the background.

T- Starts in with a tropical fruit sweetness, mid palate blends with tangerines and finishes nice and bitter with clementine peel.

M- Much fuller than you expect for such a transparent beer. Nice amount of carbonation that seems to really come to life in the mouth.

D- This is a really solid IIPA. It could have touch more complexity to the palate and nose but doesn't miss the mark heavily in any category. I would recommend trying this while its available.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

I tried to save this until inauguration day but...didn't happen.

A: Orangey and pretty dark for an IPA. Mostly clear with lots of bubbles coming from the bottom. One finger tannish head that doesn't have much retention but does have a lot of lacing.

S: Really big malt base with a sort of figgy/molasses smell. There's bitterness to the scent, but tough for me to characterize.

T: First sip is all malt, taste like it smells. I really didn't note any hops at all in the first sip...they seem to come on really really late. The hops are mostly resiny to me, maybe a bit of grass. The bitterness seems to come out of the sweetness, but the flavor of the hops isn't particularly strong...just the bitterness.

MF: Medium bodied and a bit sticky, with low-to-moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is similar to Maharajah, and that's a very good thing. The warming is fairly intense, and the alcohol hits right away.

D: This is a tasty, malt-heavy IIPA...and I like it quite a bit. It almost gets to the point of being a strong ale or an imperial red, but there's certainly enough hops in there. Reminds me a bit of summer Yulesmith I suppose. This is obviously not a sessionable beer, but it seems to be a "get a nice little buzz" beer. I'm not convinced that providing Mr. Obama an ample amount of this would make him a better president, but at least it would make him a president with good taste in beer. Anyway. I think when it's all said and done I like Maharajah more, but this is really quite good and I would be happy to drink it again.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Sampled from a 22oz bottle purchased from Sam's in Durham, NC.

A - Golden with a slight haze and a moderate white head. Minimal lacing.

S - Yeasty, malty and a bit fruity.

T - Very balanced contributions of malt, alcohol and hops. Very even and smooth with none of them dominating. No off flavors at all.

M - Low to moderate carbonation with a nice, silky consistency.

D - A solid, entertaining beer. Not particularly aggressive in any way but very good.

Bomber from Beer Run, Charlottesville, VA. Poured into a 22 oz. Terrapin snifter.

Appearance: A clear, filtered amber, medium dark red, with a foamy, meringue-like tan head. Its retention is above average generally, though possibility only average for the style. Carbonation appears to be very attractive, with tons of medium-sized bubbles racing upwards towards the head around the periphery of the snifter. Lacing is splotchy on the sip side, solid and swiss cheese-like on the non-sip side.

Aroma: Spicy west coast hop aroma, decently complex. Thick, resinous pine needles blanket a forest of grapefruit trees, lush, ripe, pregnant with their ruby red jewels. Ok, not really, but it's still pretty nice, with lots of doughy bready notes and caramel.

Taste: A surprisingly mellow beer, though that could be the age on it. Obviously, being a DIPA, there are a few hop undertones ... ok, overtones ... tones? Anyway. Doughy roasted caramel supports an array of probably-once-glorious but now-somewhat-faded spruce notes, minty, basil notes, other leafy vegetal overtones, and varying degrees of citrus zest. It's interesting, pleasant, and, again, decently complex, but not very "robust," if that makes sense.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation on this one is pretty big, both in terms of activity, speed, and bubble size. As a result, the mouthfeel is a little less creamy and/or even than I might like in a DIPA, but it still does an admirable job of maintaining a level of smoothness.

Drinkability: I haven't had the opportunity to taste this one fresh, but I know faded hops when I see 'em. It's a shame Avery released this one when they did - wait 6 months and they could have had a perfect Inauguration Day DIPA on their hands. As it stands, this is still a pretty solid, above average DIPA, with a well-hidden and tolerable abv% and an interesting and semi-complex array of flavors and aromas. Give it a shot ... but soon.

3.87/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: A light orange brown with good amount of white head and lacing.

Smell: It's all the hops. Piny and citrus. Also could smell malt sweetness and cranberries.

Taste: This one is bitter. But after drinking it for a while you begin to notice more of the sweet malts than the piny hops. Tastes very bready. Unfortunately I also could taste a lot of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and medium bodied. Tastes a little bit flat but the with decent alcohol warming.

Drinkability: I only had half the bottle and the alcohol hit me pretty hard. I personally prefer less malts in my DIPAs because I feel like it makes them taste less clean and crisp. Overall a solid brew however.

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a light copper in color with a nice thick foamy head.

The aroma is all about citrus hops.

The taste is very good. It's -- again -- all about the hops, with both citrus and herbal flavors mixing with a backbone of malt sweetness. There is also a great warming effect from the alcohol. The bitterness, while big, isn't overpowering like some beers in this style.

The body is nice and thick, but smooth. There's nothing watery about this.

Overall this is a good DIPA. It's more approachable than better examples. A good gateway to bitterness.

Ale To The Chief from Avery Brewing Company