Ale To The Chief | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Originally brewed to celebrate Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009, we elected to give Ale to the Chief a second term to commemorate the 2012 election!​ ​Not an “Imperial” pale ale, this is a democracy. It’s Presidential! Take the all-American pale ale, a bipartisan blend of malt and hops, increase both to Avery Brewing standards, and then, of c​​ourse, dry hop the result with that most quintessential of American hops, Cascades, and you get this…a brew worthy of the Oval Office!

Added by GilGarp on 07-22-2008

Reviews: 401 | Ratings: 598
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

First off let me tell you that this beer has been in the fridge since it was purchased. Second, I didn't want to drink it because I cannot stand the current pReSiDeNt - he sucks.

Poured into a tasting cup this beer is deep caramel toffee in color with little head and a generous share of translucency (unlike the presidency thusfar).

The aroma is of cascade and chinook hops and a decent malt backbone. I wish our current president had as much - unfortunately he's a real pussy.

The taste is decent and has a high hop profile with a major alpha acid bite throughtout the experience.

The mouthfeel is light and femine much like Barrack herself.

The drinkability is fairy easy much like Mr. and Mrs. President. Let's hope this beer lasts longer than the president's reign.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Purchased at Brennan's in Madison, Wisconsin for $6.99.

Poured a beautiful medium shade of bronze, with a pillowy head of off white foam. A little lighter color than I was hoping for. Good head retention, however, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. I was smelling this even as I poured, even before I stuck my nose in there for closer inspection. Once I did though, images of resin coated hops fill my head. Smells of sticky pine resin, and citrus fruits dominate.

Oh my, this is a flavorful beer. I have to take a few small sips to take it all in. Orange juice, fresh grapefruit, pine tree sap that you know you shouldn't taste when you were a kid, but you did anyway. At least I did. It's not all hops here though, the sweetness of the malt is substantial. It's a damn good thing there is so much delicious hop flavor, to cut through that sweetness. I don't detect any of the alcohol in the taste, although half way through my first glass, and I'm feeling pleasantly warm.

Good mouthfeel. It's a little creamy, a little chewy, carbonation is at a fine level that let's the bitterness dance all over your tongue. Finish could be a bit dryer.

I would have to say for myself, drinkability is rather high for this one. This is a highly hopped beer, perhaps even a bit unbalanced on the hop side but sometimes, that's just what I want. I was craving a hoppy, fresh tasting, pick me up beer. And that's just what I got. I'll be picking up more as soon as I am able. Ale to the Chief!

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pulled this one out of the "cellar" and I gotta say, it's held up quite nicely. Poured a kind of hazy amber color with a pretty creamy head the disapated within a couple minutes, leaving a nice lingering lacing on the glass and a small "froth" on the top of the brew. Aroma of bread, yeast, and citrus with a little pine for good measure. Taste is (still) very nice: malt, bread, yeast, a touch of pine, and citrus. For being two years old, this one still packs a decent hop bitterness which is an unexpected but nice finish. Maybe I should've held onto this one longer? It's still mighty tasty.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Fantastic! I've only just begun to appreciate the distinction between the American and English "bitters". This American version is quite good. Though the ABV and hoppiness is a higher than the English bitter it is a bit lower than the "big" American bitters. I would call this a very happy medium. The color is a vibrant amber/orange color with a strong enough head and apparent lacing throughout. The smell is pleasing but the taste does, as promised, packa punch. The citrus and hop are the most apparent flavors and are not strong simply for the sake of being strong. I would recommend this beer to most and I must say that I was pleasantly suprised, as someone who is not a "hop head".

4.69/5  rDev +16.4%

Sampled at Birreria Paradiso in DC, shortly after the Innaugural. Served in a pint tumbler, it was light copper-amber. The nose on this brew was unbelievable. Citrus (to say the least), lemony, floral, with enormous hits of lemon grass. Pure pleasure to inhale.

It tasted good too, just enough malt backbone to be present. If you could put a color on this hop flavor, it would be bright white. Mouthfeel was light to medium. This stuff is light on the tongue, clean and bright and yummy.

It's too strong a brew to quaff many, but as a delightful sipper, it's great. Paired well with a gourmet 4-cheese pizza. Drinkability would have to be good or better, I sure wanted to drink more! Avery delivered a hop-head's ideal salute to our new Prez.

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

A- pours a nice amberish brown with a little white head
S- hops, sugar, a touch of malt, corn
T- hops, more hops, hops , finishes with a little malt and sweet but not too sweet
M- really smooth, easy to drink
D- wow its really hard to detect the extra alcohol here.. be careful with this one

a really solid dipa

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a hazy burnt orange-amber with a nice big bubbled off white head.
The first whiff reminded me of orange-pineapple juice. Lots of pineapple and citrus rind. Not a lot of sugar sweetness coming through. Some very light brown sugar and honey aromas.
Flavor is pretty similar to the aroma. Again, the first sip kind of reminded me of pineapple-orange juice. But, later sips reveal bits of pine, grapefruit rind. The malt sweetness is still a little hidden, but it is present and offers an attempt at balancing the hops. Despite how hoppy this beer is, it is not too bitter.
Medium bodied. A little sticky/syrupy, but not too thick. Nice carbonation.
Quite drinkable. Very nice flavors make this a good drinker, maybe not an all-night drinker, but a good bottle to share.
We've been using this as an electoral themed beer the last few months, at an Election night party and at an Inauguration "celebration," and I've enjoyed this beer each time. Definitely recommended even at a non-political event.

Poured from a bomber bottle into the new Sam Adams custom glass. Copper with a lusty, sticky head with lace web.

Nose is caramel with some floral notes; butter; malty with hidden Cascade hops. Nice.

Mouthfeel is smooth particularly as it warms, with modest carbonation.

Mild taste with slight hop finish. Buttery smooth and creamy as it warms.

This is a one "term" ale, not a session brew. A good effort by Avery.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange with a medium off white head.

Smell: It has a wonderful pineapple smell to it. There are also hints of caramel and banana and pine.

Taste: Sweet and bitter all atthe same time. Oranges and hops blend well with the malts.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Leaves a good aftertaste in your mouth. A medium body and light carbonation make this easy to drink.

4.19/5  rDev +4%

Service Temperature, 50 degrees farenheit. Service Glassware, 12 ounce tulip (with stem)

Appearance, is dark amber with a sap like density. As I pour this out of the bottle I see an initial strong, tapioca head, that dissipates slowly (more than a minute for complete evaporation), leaving only an antique, table cloth like lace.
The nose on this is interesting, with a dance of playful sweet citrus and notes of berries. Slight floral quality alongside some minor earthiness.
Sipping initially I detect a nice smooth caramel malt, that gives way to some minor citrus hoppiness. A very mellow overall taste.
Mouthfeel is medium.

Man I would love to have a ham sandwich right now.

Cheers

3.99/5  rDev -1%

A 10 oz pour consumed at the Gravity Head festival.

Nice light golden yellow orange color, with decent head and heavy lacing.

Wonderful huge hop aroma, with strong citrus notes.

Huge hop bite to the flavor, with very little fruitiness in the finish and a very dry finish.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

I tried to save this until inauguration day but...didn't happen.

A: Orangey and pretty dark for an IPA. Mostly clear with lots of bubbles coming from the bottom. One finger tannish head that doesn't have much retention but does have a lot of lacing.

S: Really big malt base with a sort of figgy/molasses smell. There's bitterness to the scent, but tough for me to characterize.

T: First sip is all malt, taste like it smells. I really didn't note any hops at all in the first sip...they seem to come on really really late. The hops are mostly resiny to me, maybe a bit of grass. The bitterness seems to come out of the sweetness, but the flavor of the hops isn't particularly strong...just the bitterness.

MF: Medium bodied and a bit sticky, with low-to-moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is similar to Maharajah, and that's a very good thing. The warming is fairly intense, and the alcohol hits right away.

D: This is a tasty, malt-heavy IIPA...and I like it quite a bit. It almost gets to the point of being a strong ale or an imperial red, but there's certainly enough hops in there. Reminds me a bit of summer Yulesmith I suppose. This is obviously not a sessionable beer, but it seems to be a "get a nice little buzz" beer. I'm not convinced that providing Mr. Obama an ample amount of this would make him a better president, but at least it would make him a president with good taste in beer. Anyway. I think when it's all said and done I like Maharajah more, but this is really quite good and I would be happy to drink it again.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a light copper of a crystal clear variety. A monstrous head sits atop this beauty.

The fragrance of delicious hops emanate from the ever bubbling head. Very floral tones as well.

Has a nice floral fruity hop flavor. Also has a light coriander quality.

Nice, crisp mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Has an enjoyable hop bite on aftertaste.

Actually consumed this on election night and have been busy since. A very delicious brew with some great balance in flavors and mouthfeel.

3.67/5  rDev -8.9%

A - I have to admit, I overpoured this beer a little bit. I got at least 5 fingers of head before it overflowed. This is the first bottled beer I've had where it actually made a hissing sound, like soda, as it poured. Head is a light brown and rocky; extremely rocky, almost marshmellow like. I swirled it up a bit with my finger and it got an almost frappachino like consistency. Lacing is spotty yet copious and sticky. Body is a transparent deep golden brown with slight orange hues and little effervescence.

S - The smell on this beer is powerful and pungent. Citric hops and piney notes. Rich, deep smell. Slightly malty. If the beer tastes as good as it smells it's going to be a good time. I'm surprised the smell is as fresh and strong as it is, seeing as I imagine this beer is a little passed it's prime. The smell has a slightly lemoniness to it which adds to the refreshing quality.

T - Moment of truth. Will a retired IIPA still taste good? Kinda. The hop bitterness, at least in this one, has subsided a bit. Slightly grapefruity hop bitterness. Malt is strong and assertive here. No alcohol taste, surprisingly. Roasted malt character. An interesting IIPA, just not entirely tastey.

MF - A little thin and on the watery side. Carbonation doesn't get in the way here.

D - High alcohol heat makes this a little hard to drink a lot of. Not quite a sipper. The taste isn't really intriguing enough to make you want more and more however. Would have settled for a 12oz over 22oz.

A little stale, but still pretty good. Not my favorite of the series, but maybe a little fresher would have been better.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance - Slightly translucent gold color, with a dense, white, lasting head.

Smell - Grass, flowery pine, and citrus.

Taste - Much like the nose, but also with sweet malts for balance. Some alcohol in the finish. Got very sweet as it warmed up.

Mouthfeel - Medium-light body, which is aided by the thick head. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability - One is good, but I wouldn't want more than that in one night.

Notes - The dry hopping really brings out the juiciness of the hops; this was the juiciest beer I've had in a while.

I have mixed feelings about this one. It's clearly a well-crafted beer, with a lot of hoppy complexities. It's just not my cup of tea, as I prefer drier malts to the sweet stuff balancing this ale. I'm not going to buy it again, but I'm glad I tried it, as it's quite a bit different from other IPA's.

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Got the new version for Inauguration Jan 20, 2017. Bottled in August.

Pours amber but clear. Has a sudsy if slight 1/2 finger head that hangs around and laces you till you can't take it anymore. Aroma is malty and raisins up front. Caramel hint as well.

Taste is sweet malty goodness. Has that Avery booziness although this one at 8.75% won't kill you too fast if you keep your eyes open. Toffee, raisin, buttered bread which slowly steps aside for a hoppiness that's welcome. Nice reversal on the promise of the aroma. Spice, too. Peppercorns. Almost saison? No, it is clutched from my grasp.

In the middle I'm getting a pineapple, slight bitter, not too dank (no earth), hops just there to keep you anxious. The sweet malts are rather forward; I might call this a barleywine take on an American strong ale. There is confusion but the two sides of the aisle seem to be getting along for now.

Grapeiness and light carbonation make it very drinkable. Sticky finish, pleasant aftertaste. Great beer.

Not an Imperial Ale, but Presidential Pale Ale! I love it.

Brewed in the spirit of our new leader, and in celebration of the long over due end of an era. While I love the spirit this was brewed in, I don't think this is a remarkable brew.

Pours a nice coppery color, very clear, and a small but stiff tan head. Smells like American C-hops, lots of them. A bit of malt, but truly a hop-forward beer.

Taste is good, nothing special. Again, citrus piny American hops.

Nice and smooth mouthfeel, and its about as easy to drink as anything near 9% and proabably 100 IBUs.

I wish I had ponied up for this one earlier, like on 1/20/09...

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.5's across the board with this puppy!

A-Drapery of white frothy almost whipped cream head (served at room temp so it would be heady as all shit!) a mild amber color and plumes of carbonation reaching the blanket of head.

S- creme` friache, alcohol, citrus, a foreshadowing of nice hops, and apricot esters.

T- Up front spice, acidic character, almost like bighting a lemon, but in a good way. the lemon is soaked in booze, and fresh malt that dropkicks your tastebuds into submission!!! Such a powerful and refined beer.

M-chewy, sweet but ballanced by a good amount of hop!

D- This might be a new favorite from avery. they never cease to amaze me.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 22oz bomber into my snifter.

I bought this assuming I'd consume it on election night, but for whatever reason that did not occur. Thus I cracked her open a few weeks later, and discovered a very nice orange caramel brew. There was about a half-finger bubbly head, with some very stormy lacing. The lacing was probably the highlight of its visual aesthetics. There also was a big aroma with this, as a breeze of orange citrus hops really took over your nasal passages. Very nice, and very inviting.

Taste characteristics leaned towards the nutty side, very much like it's pale ale style. There was a lot of stale bread, some smoky wood, as well as some spicy pine to finish. It is very pleasing to the mouth as it's smooth as butter, but really lights up your lips and tongue with some vibrant viscosity.

Overall, Ale to the Chief is quite complex. A few reviews and the style above note it's a DIPA, however, I believe the bottle states it strictly a Pale Ale. The hop characters, I feel, are certainly that as well. While I found this brew interesting and different, the flavors just weren't appealing to me. Probably not something I will specifically seek out again.

3.91/5  rDev -3%

Here's to President Obama!

I was a little disappointed in the appearance. Nice gold amber color but very little carbonation and no head to speak of. Also there was no lacing.

Still smelled and tasted like a very solid DIPA. Tons of hops in the nose and mouth. Citrus aromas and flavors help back up the bitterness, which is way up there.

Not too much carbonation which hurts the mouthfeel a little bit, and though I couldn't taste the near 9% ABV, I could certainly feel it. Its a potent beer.

This is a very good beer, and if you come across one I recommend that you at least try it.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Missed out on having this for the occasion it was intended it for. Oh well, here it goes anyway. Bomber poured into a Duvel glass. Luxurious dense, cream colored head that has all kinds of sticking power. Hazed orange in color. Smell includes pine, naval orange, pineapple, toffee, bit of earth, and light caramel. Great intense, balanced aroma. Flavor starts out with a bitter and sweet tangerine combo. Floral bitterness follows with sugar coated orange peel and lemon. Finished with a stern, earthy bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium-full, sweet and thick with a nice, modest level of carbonation. Bit of warmth on the way down. Intense flavors on both sides, bitter and sweet, in addition to high alcohol, don't make this a very easy drinking ale.

This beer was better than I expected it to be. The aroma was outstanding, still holding on to some of its pleasant hop character. There was also good balance between an intense bitterness and solid citrusy sweetness.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours an orange color, somewhat cloudy, with a nice head and lacing throughout. Smell is both sweet and tart fruits; some lemony citrus aromas, but faint and not overpowering. Some minor alcohol notes as well. Nice balance of sweetness with bitterness, well-rounded. Medium-bodied and refreshing. Overall a very good beer and worth seeking out.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

L:Thick off white yellowish head. The color itself is a fantastic crystal clear amber orange. Very sporatic tiny little bubbles.
S:Holy crap, insanely pungent fresh pine needle hops. Just a touch of citrusy grapefruit. Very mild candy apricot sweetness.
T:Whoa, there come those pine needle hops I smelled. Rich and vibrant pine needle hops just continue to pound your sense through out tasting this beer. There is a little bit of wheaty maltiness to balance out those hops.
M: Tight sharp little bubbles keep pounding the sides of your mouth. Yet the beer still feel rich and fat. Very nice round feeling
D: Very cool beer. Not much balance involved. Just hoppy goodness on top of hoppy goodness. Very good.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a beautiful opaque amber with a nice thin head of froth, that quickly dissolves.

Has a big old piney hop smell that dominates the nose. Mild hints of malt, but they are very mild.

This has a heavy hop taste up front, with some nice sweetness and malt creating a wonderful balance.

Although it is hop heavy, it goes down smooth. The body is a bit above medium.

This is a top notch brew, that I have now had on three separate occasions, and seem to love it more after each tasting.

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

A limited release from Boulder Colorado's Avery Brewing in celebration of the inauguration of our latest president. The TTB disallows the use of a president's name, but the clever label makes it very clear that Avery is not a stronghold of the John Birch Society and I would bet the break room TV is not tuned to Fox News.

I am immediately greeted by a big hop aroma with plenty of sugary malt coming through. Fresh bread, a little red apple, papaya, and a significant but not distracting alcohol aroma round things out. The tropical and resinous hops play well with the apparent and restrained esters.

A big 3" off-white fluffy head forms off the pour. It quickly dies down to a few thin patches with minimal lace, not surprising with the high alcohol content. The beer is a nice light copper color with some haze that appears to be more from hops than protein.

Hits the tongue with bread, dry biscuit, brown sugar, oranges and papaya. Resinous hops smeared all over with some raw hop cone astringence. Fairly well balanced with an increasingly coarse bitterness building against the sugary malts. Finish is long with lingering hop and warming alcohol.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation. A little heavy on the palate. This isn't a small beer by any means, and the alcohol is never hot or boozy, but it drinks like a stronger beer. The bitterness becomes harsher through the glass and begins to really impact the enjoyability. Some similarities to their Hog Heaven barleywine, but with more emphasis on the bitter instead of the malt. I'll stick to the Hog Heaven in the future.

Ale To The Chief from Avery Brewing Company