Brabant | Avery Brewing Company

3.84/5
Alströms:

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into my Fulled stemmed glass.

Pours a dark black with a tan head that drops almost instant. Wow, maybe I'm just not feeling sours tonight or this is waaaay too young. Leathery smell, not sure what I'm getting, maybe pepper, and sours? Yeah, dude at the store acted like this was heaven, I'm not seeing it at all. Flavor is off putting. Its like a stout with brett in oak, not very well done. Slightly better as it warms, some vanilla comes out in the flavor. DO NOT smell this beer. I think the smell is the worst thing about it now that its warmed a little. I'll let one or two age, but I doubt I'd buy this again, or seek it out.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle bought from Whole Foods. Poured into small snifter. Surprised by the dark liquid that came forth. Thin brown head. Lacing gathered around the edges. Some sour funkiness in the aroma. Wine-y-ness also. A tight, sharp aroma. I liked it very much. Some nice sourness. Some vinegar acidity. Apple flavors. Again a "tight" flavor. A bit fizzy, thin to medium bodied. I think this will be better with age on it. Complex, interesting.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Joey for bringing this bottle to La Bella tonight, I've been looking forward to trying this one. Bottled on 2-10-09

Quite foamy on the glass at first, dark maple syrup color with a slightly violet colored head.

At first I get tart grapes and a definite zinfandel barrel character. The second wave consisted of lemon, brett, and wood notes. After a few moments I could smell some caramel, cola nuts, nutty malts, and vanilla. I really like the aroma, very complex.

Funky, phenols, plastic, red grapes, green apple, toast, and wood in the finish. Quite the rush with the first sip, I was rushing to write down all the flavors I was getting. Zinfandel flavor in the end. Kind of an over-ripped grape flavor too.

Very airy mouthfeel, softly carbonated, a bit thin, and then a kind of a filmy texture in the end. Would like to try this one with some age on it.

4.54/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. A one finger tan head forms at first. The foam recedes quickly, and light lace is left behind.
S: Holly crap this is amazing. At first some sour and tart fruits. Though it is balanced perfectly with some funky barnyard aromas. Hey, grass, horse blanket, and bread/biscuit. A light sweet dark fruit character, and some oak/woody notes. Exceptional is the only word that comes to mind.
T: Pretty much follows the nose. Lots of fruity flavors. Some tart and sour, others are dark and mouth watering. That wonderful funky barnyard/horse blanket character is very welcome. Bread and biscuit. Dry crackers. Oak notes as well as some rum like alcohol.
M/D: A full body with a crisp snap of carbonation. As it warms up a creaminess comes out. So smooth and easy to drink, and warms the belly. I wish the bottle would have never ended.

This is an amazing beer. Extremely complex, and well crafted. There are so many complexities that it is hard for me to describe. Everything is so well balanced, and all the flavors compliment each other perfectly. This is the best Wild Ale I have tried (that includes many Russian River examples).

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Struise tulip.

Bottled: Feb 10 2009
8.65% abv
Production: 694 cases

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a creamy, finely bubbled, two finger, dark-khaki colored head. Retention was excellent and a variety of lacey specks, ropes, and layers were left behind.

S: Initial aromas was quite tart and funky. After it was poured and set a little while notes of oak, chocolate, tart cherry, vinegar, dark fruit, and tangy berry emerged.

T: Not as tart as the first whiffs suggested. Sour cherry, blackened malt, buttery oak, and dark chocolate mix it up with vinegar, tangy grapes, light smoke, sweet dark fruit, and not quite ripe berries. Oakiness becomes quite obvious in the finish.

M: Tart and acidic with a nice counterpart from the roasty/smoky malt and the vaguely sweet dark fruit. Dry oily and a tad puckery.

D: Very nice. Not nearly as sour and acidic as I had hoped for. But all in all, a nice stab at the style.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a very dark blood red, heavy burgundy with a small off-white head, good lace.

S: Complex with notes of fruit (cherry, strawberry, raisin), heavy barnyard, musk and cheese.

T: Real heavy funk after the initially fruit/grape character dies down. Notes of gouda and gruyere cheese, very nutty, almost a brown ale character, with some heavy lactic acid at times. Reminds me heavily of Dissident. Not strikingly good, but enjoyable for sure.

M: Possibly the most interesting part of the beer. Perfect structure, and a great tangy, funky finish.

D: A real nice sour beer out of Avery, it will be interesting to see what their next take on the wild ale style will be.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours into my New Belgium globe an opaque black color with not even a hint of light shining through the edges, decent tan head that fell rather quickly to a lasting cap, sheety lacing. There's a nice chocolate aroma coming through the nose at first, some red wine character, with just a hint of musty sourness on the tail end, sweet, and lightly roasty. First sip, ah yes, there's the sour funk I was looking forward to. I've never had a sour/wild ale this dark before so it keeps things interesting. Chocolate is there in minor amounts, but not as prevalent as in the nose. A bit of red wine acidity and sour cherrry starts to come out and mingles nicely with the funky brett. This is a very nice beer, while not overly complex, but very interesting and different. It tastes much like their 15th Anniversary beer with a big edition of roasted malt and a hint of buttery oakiness. Medium-full on the body, lingering dry aftertaste of sour and bitter dark chocolate. Nice brew. Don't think I could drink too many of these in one sitting though, but that's the way it is with most sours for me. Makes me remember what I've been missing with sours lately.

This beer poured practically pitch black and formed a light tan foamy head that left circular lace as it subsided. An aroma of malt, wine, and the funky barnyard elements of the style. The flavor was of malt, chocolate and sour grapes. The body is medium light and the finish is tart. I guess a good rendition of the style, but not a big fan of wild ales personally.

4.07/5  rDev +6%

Hmmm. I wish this beer were a year older. It's fairly tasty right now, but not nearly sour enough. I guess I'll have to buy a few more and put them down. Seems to be the new trend. Release sour beers before they've really soured. They did the same thing with 15, which I think is much better now than upon release. I think this trend does a disservice to the breweries in question as the beer never gets rated as highly as it should since most BAs and RBers review it before it is at its peak. I would have liked this to have seen some more time and/or be more sour. I was hoping for something more along the lines of The Platypus for their 1st beer in the barrel aged series. As it stands, right now it is far more oaky and tannic and fruity than it is sour. There is some faint hint of sourness, but no real complexity has developed yet. There are some vinous notes, and a lot of oak as well, but everything hasn't melded together yet and the tartness that should be there hasn't developed yet. The best part of this beer by far is the aroma. It hints at what is to come, with lighter oak and wine notes and a clean, more pronounced acetic kick, and everything in balance. I'll be interested to see where this beer goes, but I wish we wouldn't adopt the wine model of early releases of beverages that are too tightly wound to really enjoy now. How about we take a page from Cantillon instead and release stuff after age and blending have done their magic? While this is perfectly drinkable right now, it isn't at all what it could (maybe should?) be. Still, I'm very glad to see the brewery embarking upon a barrel aging program an hope to see these beers becoming more complex and accomplished as time goes on. For now, here is a toast to a good idea!

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Deep brown with thin tan head and limited lacing.

S - Barnyard funk, slightly acidic, vinegar, grapes, hint of oak, ripe dark fruits and dark malts.

T - Tart at first, slightly smoky reminding me of burnt popcorn, noticeable zinfandel taste, a touch of funk and dark fruits. The taste doesn't blend as well as the aroma.

M - Very dry with a slightly bubbly balance at the beginning that turns somewhat flat quickly. Once it starts to feel flat the mouthfeel does not work as well.

D - Interesting. I look forward to trying more in this series but the flavors in this one seem to fight each other more than they blend together.

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%

This beer pours a deep tawny color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a firm quarter inch cap of foam. The aroma is of Bretta, barnyard funk, black currants, graphite, and hints of sweet oak. The taste is the most wine like of any beer I've yet tasted, but that is alright with me. Black currant, graphite, tannins, Bretta's nice sourness, and an overall dryness that I have never experienced in a beer before. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is a very unique beer. While I can't say I'd like to drink this everyday, or drink more than one at a time, I can say I would love to drink this again.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

This is going to be a bit interesting to review. This is a young beer (per packaging) and will probably age out nicely. Put that said if the brewer thought that it was be better aged, they wouldn't have released it so early.

Pours a semi cloudy drown color with some amber hues throughout. A fizzy off white head that has limited retention, but once you swirl the glass leaves a fluffy head that has good retention. Limited lacing throughout.

The nose has a light brett aroma. Somewhat subtle overall with a light funk, horse blanket and a light butyric. Would like a bit more funk overall. Just a bit too light for me. The malt is there with some caramel notes and a light toffee/bready aroma. Some minor esters cherries and figs with a light sharp lactic note. Some wine character, but limited aroma as a whole.

The taste is similar. The malt comes out a bit more and balances with the yeast. A slight sour taste up front with some drying but limited. Is replaced with a toffee malt note. A little generic in flavor with a wispy feel. Some red wine and cherry notes come out next. The yeast comes out as well, with some brett notes and a light barnyard note. Really would like more funk altogether, hopefully with age this will be more apparent.

The body is a touch wispy. Dry in the finish, but would like a ton more complexity overall. Carbonation is a touch high which could be a bad think down the line. Overall kind of sad to open this so early. It reminds me a lot of Avery's 15th Anniversary beer, but without the extra spices kicked in.

4.07/5  rDev +6%

The bottle ays 8.65ABV

Color was black with some red hues. Tiny champagne like bubbles when poured. Tiny brownish head.

Smell was the funk of wine barrel aging. Smells like consecration but sweeter, with sour fruit essences.

Taste was a cluster-fuck of flavors bursting in your mouth.
Barnyard funk coated with pretty high hop content for the style. Some alcohol hotness, with red wine overtones through out. Not as sour as you would expect from the smell.

Mouthfell was dry, a little thin, but pleasant.

This is a drinkable young beer, that Im sure would do much in the cellar as the brett transforms the flavors.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottled on Feb 10 2009

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to say I haven't had a ton of experience with wild ales. I did enjoy a La Roja sampled at a local Alefest a while ago, so I thought further research was needed.

When I topped off the pouring of this dark brown liquid with copper edges, I heard a strange sound. It was carbonated, like I just poured Coke in my Stella glass, hmm? Not truly knowing what I was getting myself into, the smell surprised me. I read a lot of different kinds of information on here and kept seeing users mention a "barnyard funk" smell. Now I understand. Diving taste-buds-first into the glass, I realized the beer didn't taste as funky as it smelled, rather, it was more sour and tart. I could tell it had been aged in zin barrels, but as it warmed, it delivered notes of oak and tobacco.

Wandering around the inside of my mouth, the carbonation reminded me of sparkling wine but would be more acceptable to my palette if it was cellared for a year or more.

For me, the jury is still out on the style of wild ales but there's only one juror still undecided. Not me. I like wild ales, and enjoyed this bottle of Brabant.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz bottle, bottled on 2/10/09. Pours a dark reddish brown with a large rocky light brown head that retains and laces the glass.

The aroma is some wheaty malts, funky yeast and acidic brett. As it warms some chocolate, fruits and leather come out.

The flavor is funky yeast and a little vinous fruitiness followed by a pretty big acidic bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with creamy carbonation.

Overall, very different. I'm not sure I care for the acidic bitterness. There's a lot of brett here but it's a bit over the top and not well balanced. I'd prefer a bit more sourness. It would be interesting to see how this ages.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

250 ml serving in a Chimay goblet at the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on 3/29/09 poured from a 12 ounce bottle by Julian, reviewed from notes on my cell phone

A-Very dark brown color with some red around the edges, one inch creamy beige head that stays around for close to ten minutes, leaves a ring, some nice wine-like legs
S-Brettanomyces, raisins, caramel, cherries, hint of roasted malt, other dark fruits, red grapes, sugar, and sour earthiness
T-Starts off with a light sour flavor, sweet fruit in the middle that is mostly dark grapes, finish is very dry with some tart from the wild yeast, malt becomes a lot stronger once it warms, nicely balanced between sweet and sour throughout, will probably get even better with a few months of aging in the bottle
M-Dry, sweet, slightly tart, and funky mouthfeel, medium bodied, good amount of carbonation, taste lingeres with brett at first and then grapes later
D-Could have drank another few glasses of this, on the heavier side for a wild ale and you can expect that with the color alone, booze are hidden well though, goes down like red wine

I was planning on making a special trip to South Bay Drugs on Sunday morning to pick a bottle or two but I got to have it hear instead, I plan on going some bottles in Denver too, will be putting some in the cellar to see how they age, recommended

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE: Top marks because I've never seen a beer so dark! In a round goblet it looks like a exactly like a black bowling ball. I held it up to a halogen bulb and literally no light made it through. Holy cow!

SMELL: Extraordinarily sour sipping wine. Very much the cheesy funkiness like people describe. Super unique and unaccustomed to what I'd imagine beer to smell like.

TASTE: Quite strange sensation - but not bad. Like drinking really palatable wood. Sour berry fuitiness comes out in the middle, but it's largely devoid of sweetness. Very dry with a sweet/tangy red wine finish.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights and a thin off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of brett, lemons, sour cherries, almost a smoked malt character in there, maybe from the barrel. Taste is fruity and funky. A bit of phenol, spicy Belgian yeast, and a touch of alcohol mid way. Finishes quite dry but leaves a lingering funk mixed with lemons on my palette. Carbonation is middle of the road, refreshing as a lot of sours seem over carbonated to me. Body is medium with a dry finish. Mouthfeel is syrupy. The brett character comes out well in this. Easy drinker, for a funkified brown ale.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Bottle.

Poured a deep dark brownish color...wow i was not expecting that color to come out of the bottle.

Aroma right away before i can get it up to my nose is a lot of brett funk. Its musty, wine like with hints of cinnamon, vanilla and dark fruits. It also has a small sour note to it.
Taste is good. Dark fruits, a mix or sour and funk from the brett, some oak, vanilla and a hint of chocolate. Its a nice beer, i think it needs some time to develop a bit more.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle with 8.65% ABV listed on it. says bottled feb 10 2009. 694 total cases produced.

A- this one pours a dark brown, nearly black, body with a finger and a half of mocha colored head. little to no lace left on the sides of the glass, and poor head retention.

S- this one smells strongly of red wine, and also lots of other fruits. grapes of course, plums, figs, raisins/tobacco, and cherries. lots of mustiness from the wild yeast.

T- easily the most vinous beer ive ever tasted. lots of red wine. lots of the other fruits i could smell also. grapes, cherries, plums, figs, and raisins/tobacco. some sourness, but hard to notice. lots of mustiness comes through. slight warming from the alcohol. some oakyness too.

M- medium bodied with a low level of carbonation. lots of warming in my belly after every sip. very smooth.

D- as i said, this is the most wine-like beer ive ever had. i bet this would be a good introduction into the world of craft beer for the wine enthusiast. easy to finish the small bottle, but too much of a novelty to want a second, and the price is pretty steep for something to session.

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%

Just tried this with a few buddies, which I recommend b/c if you're not into sour beers of any kind it's better to pop one with more than just a couple of other guys. The Zin barrrelling is prevalent in the nose. Kind of Vanilla and a little vinous. Very interesting. Color was deep mahogany. The head was creamy yet delicate. The consistency was a little stickier than expected; definitely stuck more to the roof your mouth and to the palate. Flavors were slightly toasty from the barrel treatment. Adam Avery married the slight raisoniness of the zin with the sour notes from the Bret. Not quite what I expected and way more pleasing than other sour beers I've tried before. The amberness delivers on the palate with the heft of dryer malts. The end kind of kept coming on in waves. Even now as I type with most of my glass gone the threads still are leaving their imprints of wine, sour dough bread, and woody dry malt on the tongue. I don't recommend this as a quick pint at the ball park.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Dark, dark brown with a fluffy three-finger tan head Thick & chunky lacing.

S - Brett, vinegar, grapes and oak (the zin barrel definitely makes its presence known). Other dark fruit notes (plum).

T - Plum, fig, earth and oak hit the palate. Musty. Much more grape in the nose than the palate. Some chocolate notes. Tart, but not sour. A bit sweet in the middle, actually. Like Duchesse, only not gross.

M - Light and fluffy. Off-dry finish.

D - One is enough for me. Tasty, but it doesn't leave me wanting more.

An interesting beer. I'm not sure if the Flemish Red was the style they were after, but it's very close to what they ended up with. Not bad by any means, but it lacks the magic of the other great American Wilds.

Bottle From shigadeyo.

Poured dark brown color with a large frothy off-white head that was mostly lasting with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy sour yeasty aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and flat carbonation. Medium to heavy sweet & sour flavor with a medium sweet & sour finish of moderate to long duration.

My expectations where met with another of the top six as a sweet flemish sour style.

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The Brabant pours much darker than I imagined it would. Even after holding this puppy up to the light, I still can't see through it. It is essentially black with only the slightest bit of purple-brown color sneaking out from time to time. There is a fair amount of lacing, but really not much head at all.

Smell: The fermented brettanomyces yeast is all up in the nose, which is accompanied by lots of dark fruit aromas such as prunes, raisins, and figs. This combination of smells puts off a lot of funk. In the back, too, I get a nice bit of extremely ripe (bordering on rotten) banana. As I had hoped, I definitely smell the deep smoky grape components in here from the zinfandel barrels.

Taste: There is an immediate tartness from the yeast and the funk carries over to the palate. This is the element of the beer that makes it hard for me to love. I really like the zinfandel barrel aging of this beer. I think wine barrels for darker beers like this will be a good movement. There is a medium amount of bitterness here that I like, but I don't think it's enough to balance out the other flavors. I'm definitely getting the dark fruit components from the nose here, too.

Mouthfeel: This is where the Brabant falls short for me the most. There is a light tartness that stays on the tongue for awhile. The zinfandel aromas are left only after everything else has gone. But it is ultimately the yeast component that lasts the longest.

Overall: I guess I wasn't sure what my expectation of this one would be. I have not transformed myself yet to loving the brettanomyces yeast beers. This is only a personal thing that I hope to get past soon. For the most part, though, the Brabant was enjoyable but not something I would hanker for again. I would love to see this one be a little more balanced with a bit more body.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

Looks and smells the part of a Wild Ale, if blindfolded I would have said Madrugada Obscura from Jolly Pumpkin. Pours black with a crimson glint when backlit, fizzy bubbles fade to a ring, leaving spotty lace. Very complex nose, wet gravel and hay, moss, dried berries, dark malts. Flavor is very dry and Brett forward, a distracting metallic note is also there with some astringency. Lingering scorched popcorn kernels and dark berry. Feels dry and effervescent at first, but deflates across the palate. Berry or Zin gives it a trace sweetness that cues the salivary glands ever so slightly. Flavors are interesting, but in the end don't feel harmonious. Hope this series refines itself as it progresses...

Brabant from Avery Brewing Company