Brabant | Avery Brewing Company

averybrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a dark ruby brown color with a large fluffy tan head.

Scent of dark fruit, sugars, oak, vanilla, maple syrup, yeast, and a hint of alcohol. Great scent, complex, but not too overly so and well rounded.

Taste of fruits with a harsh marshmallow flavor initially with some yeast, oak, caramel and sugars. Alcohol is well hidden, but other than that this one is pretty underwhelming, it's a shame considering the wonderful scent.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with great carbonation.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

The beer appeared a dark brown on the pour and was opaque when held to light. Smelling was a treat; the tartness of the farm ale yeast fermentation, accentuated by the sweet and sour aromas of the Zinfandel make for an intriguing odor that refreshes with every swallow. Taste was nice and tart, but not at all in an off putting manner (coming from one who is not particularly fond of the farm ale/lambic/barley wine styles); I found that, overall, the flavor had a nice balance. From the first touch of the tongue to the swallow, one experiences a range of sweet and tart to a hearty, but subtle, bitterness in the back of the mouth. Mouthfeel is pleasant--smooth, good carbonation, but nothing terribly remarkable. As far as drinkability is concerned, I'd drink several of these if I had them; the beer is delicious and refreshing all in all.

4.11/5  rDev +7%

A- Dark dark brown, borderline black. Dark beautiful head that settles slow.

S- Fruity, sour

T- Complex mix of fruityness and sour. Little to no hop presence, appealing for this kind of beer. I enjoy it.

M- Silky, slippery, strange, first sour beer I have ever had. Different but good!

D- Very drinkable

4.3/5  rDev +12%

12 oz bottle poured into an Ommegang tulip. Half inch of dark tan head. Gradually recedes and leaves delicate lacing. Color is a dark bakers chocolate brown with polished mahogany highlights.

Smell is a sharp tart sour berry with dark hardwood aromas. Taste has much more of a malt character than I would have expected. It's like chocolate malt with cranberries.

Medium bodied with a mild, crisp carbonation. Very smooth and drinkable. I would like to see how the Brett ages with this one.

Blipped "Sour Times" by Portishead

Bottle into red wine glass.

Pours a dark brown, a bit hazy, with a one-and-a-half finger, fizzy light tan head. Clings to the glass.

Nose is funky up front, with some light citric sourness and bretty horseblanket funk, with some nice, sweet cocoa notes poking up from underneath as well. There's a clean fruitiness that is reminiscent of tart berries, and Zin barrel comes through as well, but not overpoweringly so.

Zin aging seems much more prominent in the taste - there's a nice, mellow dark malt character, hinting at cocoa and dark fruit (currant, red grape, even a bit of blackberry), enveloped in a musty sourness. Sourness carries wild notes of horseblanket and barnyard, with the tannic vinousness really coming out for finish - again, a bit musty, lingering funk, with a vinous exhale.

Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, full bodied - well suited to the beer.

A nicely done beer; nice balance between beer and brett, letting the body of the beer have a say as well. Seems to lack the integration you see in the absolute best of the wild-yeast American takes. A bit of lacto, I think, would have really brought it up a notch overall. Still, a well done and nuanced beer.

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%

I let crazynelson talk me into a bottle of this. Wild ales are quite a challenge to my palate, here's hoping some zinfandel barrels help out.

Appearance - pours surprisingly dark into a Maudite Belgian, no light getting through. I brief light mocha head disperses some dots and swipes of thin lace. A mostly bare cover after several minutes.

Aroma - yeah, it's funky, perhaps a touch of florals but it's hard to tell.

Taste - hey, not bad! The dark ale has some good roasted malt complexity, some faint chocolate and coffee notes coming through. The brett is low key, enough to make its mark but not enough to make me screw up my face or anything. The barreling comes through on the aftertaste; zinfandel isn't all that complex a wine but the vinous nature is here, along with cherry flavors. An even layer of abv warmth wraps it all up into an impressive package. Another breakthrough for the style as far as I'm concerned. This is easy to drink for me, I suppose that could mean that hardcore brett fans may be disappointed in that aspect, but there are lots of flavors here to enjoy. The finish is more zin-like, with a touch of roast and brett.

Mouthfeel - average, maybe a touch thin, but does create a light smoothness on the tongue. It is very crisp and has a refreshing element to it.

Drinkability - yes, I'd have this again willingly. Ultimately, I think my inexperience with wild ales plays to my advantage on this one, as the lighter brett character is a positive. Thanks to crazynelson for the encouragement!

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

12 ounce bottle, bottled on Feb 10th, 2009. Pours
black, with a dark tan head, fluffy and loose, and leaving nice bits of splotchy and standular lace. The nose is full of wood, barnyard, cheesy funk. Nice. Bold and flavorful offering. More barnyard, wood and slightly sour goodness. Dark malts also in evidence along with some hoppy dryness in the finish. Nice offering. Wish I had the patience and room in my house to put a few bottles away for a year or two and see what develops with the Brett. Hats off to any brewers who are taking risks and brewing wild ales such as this one. Seek out and enjoy

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

Served cool, about 50 degrees, in a Belgian style goblet.

Pours a very dark brown color that looks almost black in the glass. Thin white head is slow to settle leaving a nice lace around the edges.

The aroma has both wine and wood in equal measures. There is also a little bit of sour funk from the wild yeast.

Taste is tart, slightly sour, and tannic. In fact, this beer has all of the basic flavors covered with sweetness up front and bitterness on the finish. The sour is kept under control by all of the other flavors and it actually seems really well balanced. The zin barrels impart a big red wine flavor to the beer and there seems to be a tannin dryness that will be recognized by wine drinkers. The final part of the puzzle, and the part that is most puzzling to me, is the roasted malts that grow more noticible as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and well carbonated. Nothing unusual or exceptional about it.

Drinkability is good but I wouldn't imagine having another any time soon.

This beer is difficult to analyze. After having La Folie and Consecration, this just falls short. I would love to know what this beer would be like if it hadn't got the zin barrel/wild yeast treatment. I feel that it would've been a strong porter and that just doesn't seem like the best starting point for this kind of beer.

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

A damn fine looking specimen of a beer. Pours an opaque deep mahagony color with a thick wound layer of tan whip cream head. Great lacing as well with wonderful retention.

Nose is earthy tartness, jammy fruits, earth, yeast, hints of wood, and more zinfandel type fruit character.

Nicely balanced not overly puckering or sour. Brett shows moderately on the middle and finish. Very fruity and tart. Earthy with a thin body that widens toward the end. Zinfandel aging works well and adds a layer of wood and jammy fruit component. A good beer that I think will keep getting better.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle shared by PWoods.

Very dark ruby brown on the pour. Half inch of off white head. Plenty of carbonation running up the side of the glass. Smell is very dark, ripe fruit.
Taste is dark plums, grapes and the Brett has taken a good foot hold on the beer already. The carbonation is a bit too much to start, but once it warms it really mellows down a bit and really smooths out. Solid offering and pretty tasty. I can't help but to keep thinking of my first love, Russian River Consecration though. At $9 a twelve ounce bottle, Avery has placed this beer in the same category as my beloved Consecration, and honestly, that's not something anybody should try to compare themselves to.

2.63/5  rDev -31.5%

As noted by others, the abv is 8.65% and this particular brew was bottled on 10 February 2009.

A: Lovely dark brown hues, which leave considerable lacing.

S: Tart, musty, farmhouse funk.

T: Initially quite sweet, but soon the sourness takes over. There is a hint of the Zin barrel at all stages. This tastes like funky wine, i.e. not something for me.

M: Solid enough.

D: I returned to this after a 30 minute dinner, wondering if I'd be more impressed. No. I prefer sipping on other sour, wild ales. Would this age well? Hmmm...

I'm not an Avery person it seems...I believe I preferred Avery 15 to this (a side by side would be warranted if someone else paid for it). I hear Maharaja will prove the exception to this rule...and I also need to try the Reverend and Salvation. I want to like this brewery...

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

This was bottled Feb 10, 2009 and says 8.65%abv.

It pours a very dark brown with some highlights of red and a 1 finger head of foam. Waiting about a minute, it looks like the head retention will be very good. There's plenty of lacing.

The smell is boldly sour up front almost equally noticeable is that aroma that only Brett can create. The sour, I'm guessing, is from cherries but I'm not sensing cherries. We shall see in the taste, eh?

First sip and the main players in the smell are also the main players in the taste . The sour isn't as pronounced but the funk from the Brett is powerful as is a curious bittering that stands side by side with the funk, especially near and through the finish. I still can't figure out what makes the sour tick. Maybe the effect of having this aged in Zinfadel barrels? So maybe it's sour grapes? I'm guessing here folks. :^) I find the bitter notes here a distraction and I find myself taking some time between sips.

The mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is right around medium as well.

Drinkabilty? The abv isn't a big deal here. It's that darn bitterness. The sour is lighter than I like but it's respectable to my palate, the Brett here is done very well but both can't seem to shake my dislike for that bitterness.

It's an interesting brew and I'm glad I got to try it.

It seems appropriate to pour this into my newly acquired Cantillon glass.

Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. Lots of lacing on the way down. I find the color rather odd as I have never seen a wild ale of this tone. Nose is faint hints of Brett infused wood, cherry, and the typical funkyness. It'd be great if there were more of a kick on the nose from this. Flavor is minor lactic tones with the woody sourness you expect. Bretti s definitely there, but like the nose, I find it a bit mild in the overall scheme of things. There seems to be a touch of vanilla on things as well. Feel is smooth on liquid and the carbonation is middle of the road I'd say. This is a mild wild IMO. Hehe. Mild wild. It rhymes. Get it? Anywho. I bet this would be better after about 2 years of cellar time. Still though it is good. I'd love to know what the base beer for this was since it is so dark.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance - Black, with a little brown at the edge. Pours a foamy light brown head.

Smell - First noticed the wine smell. Then a little fruity funky smell. Overall very pleasing.

Taste - Fruity and definitely a little funky. Wine notes are noticeable. A little sweet but overall well balanced.

Mouth feel - Light feel with fine almost champagne like carbonation. Refreshing!

Drinkability - Very good for a wild which is not one of my favorite styles, but they are starting to grow on me.

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%

Here goes, yesterday when I snagged the last non-reserved 4-pack of KBS at my regular I saw a bunch of bottles of the Brabant sitting there in front of me. I asked one of the clerks to check the pricetag for me, 9.99. I contemplate, but then I remember reading about how limited the distribution would be on this beer, I figured I have to at least try it. I put two in basket. Then two more in case I like it and want to cellar. Then I think, crap, what if someone really wants a bottle and I can trade to get some more sours? I end up buying 10 bottles. Do I regret it? I still don't know.

I've been sipping this for about 45 minutes now. The appearance was a very dark brown with a light tan head that disappears fairly soon. I give a wiff, my god, a heavenly aroma, tart sour cherries with a hint of the ole barn and Zinfandel notes hang in the background. Taste is just so, blah, musty brett with some sweet malts. Really, where are the cherries I could smell before with a light splash a zinfandel? I feel let down, like when Mike is apprehended at Euro Disney after attempting to invade Paris, thereby getting kicked out the TA. Mouthfeel is fairly average, nice carbonation with the drying effects of the brett. Drinkable? I can't give it a three because it just isn't up to par for the course. There's room for improvement with this one.

After 45 minutes of sipping do I regret buying 10 bottles? No. There is a great beer in here somewhere begging to come out. 45 minutes on, the cherries begin to present themselves. I'll revist this one in another 6 months or more and see where we stand then.
C'mon Brabant, don't let me down. You'll get back into the TA, your rabbit isn't really gone, its just gone next door for now.

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a solid off-white head. A lot darker than I expected, but very nice head for a wild ale.

S- Pleasant aroma. Had a nice brett smell accompanied by a vinous, sour characteristic.

T- Terribly disappointing. Tastes nothing like the aroma leads to believe. This beer reminded me more of a flanders type beer than anything else. Had a low vinegar, acidic taste with a tinge of a salt in the finish. Combine this taste with the dark brown appearance and it almost makes you want to believe you're drinking a low grade soy sauce. This is definitely not a sour.

M- Medium bodied with some low carbonation. There was something off about this beer. The pieces just didn't fit.

D- It's ok, but expect to be drinking a flanders style of beer when opening this one up.

Overall, this was a very disappointing sour. Definitely not even close to the quality sours that I have had and definitely not worth the hefty $9 price tag.

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass (I really need to get a flute). Bottled on Feb. 10, 2009. This is my first American Wild Ale.

A - black with a little bit of ruby near the bottom of the glass. a 1cm tan head formed, but quickly dissipated into nothing. I wasn't expecting it to be so dark. I had to double check the bottle to make sure Brabant wasn't just a contaminated barrel aged version of "The Czar."

S - I have never had a Zinfandel before, so I apologize in advance for not knowing what that smells like (or tastes like). The smell is predominantly lactic acid with the usual brett mustiness. Sour berries are also present (raspberries, cherries, or grapes?). Definitely sour, tart, acidic, and musty.

T - Tart and musty throughout with lactic acid and brett rearing their ugly (yet desirable) head. Sour fruit likes cherries, grapes, and even some raisins or prunes. roasted malt, a touch of cocoa along with some caramel or caramel malt. oak is present as a slight smokiness. The flavor seems to me to be a Belgian style imperial stout that's been aged in barrels used for lambics, though not quite as strong as an imperial stout. there may be some hops in the finish (they come across as grassy and piney), but i'm usually puckering when i swallow and I am not quite sure what I'm tasting. The beer leaves a lingering taste of musty attic in my mouth. After about 10 minutes of sipping on this, I'm getting a slight cassium/cinnamon taste.

M - body was on the highside of medium with the carbonation of champage (or seltzer water).

D - I don't know what to make of this. It's a very good beer, but I don't think I could drink it all that often. When i have a beer with Brett, I prefer the beer to be predominantly fruity as opposed to the dark roasted character of this one. It's still pretty good, though.

Notes: Again, first wild ale, but I've had quite a few Flanders Reds, Lambics, and Guezes.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle date 2/10/2009, poured into Reidel Vinum Cabernet glass. Let sit for about 10 minutes before opening and then another 3-5 minutes after opening.

Wow - if I didn't know better I'd say it poured almost as dark and viscous as a stout or an old ale. Nice ginger 1/2 finger head, with an extremely dark pretty well translucent body. There's a little hint of a deep red (like a Zinfandel). Decent amount of carbonation here.

Brett is extremely prominent at first blush. A slight hint of oak and slight tannins from the Zin barrels gives this a nice backbone, as does mildly powerful dark malts, which add more caramel tones with warmth. Hope pine is on deep background. This gets complex quickly.

Yes, let this warm a little - it's barrel tight at first from the oak tannins, hop pine and some austere, electric Brett. But after a few minutes, the carbonation disperses the funk a little more thoroughly and the dark malts come along with the Zin tannins and fruit, providing a slight boozy yet fruity sweetness. Carbonation helps keep this from being overpowering.

As mentioned, sure it's a little tight at first but the fruitness and the tannins of the Zin barrels (after a while there's even some jamminess) emerge and blend nicely with the Brett to soften it a bit. Drinks rather smoothly on the back end leaving a slight pucker but overall nice, long, winelike finish with a decent amount of mellow alcohol but not too much residual sweetness.

This drinks pretty smoothly when all is said and done. I'm guessing that a bit of time will make this deal even more interesting. Complex as it is, maybe a bit of cellaring will smooth it out a bit.

4.31/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown with a two-finger light brown head with poor retention but sticks around on the edges.

S: Very tart raspberry scent with roasted malts along with a white grape/zinfandel scent. Very complex scent that is bold and interestingly unique.

T: Hits with a light tart flavor from sour dark fruit, turning into sweet barley still with dark fruit that slowly turns into the semi oaked finish with strong hints of zinfandel with a bitter dryness accompanied by the tartness that has made itself present throughout the entire drink. Impressive that not much alcohol comes through, I'm not too surprised however the beer is quite complex.

M: Strong carbonation and a light body, bubbles dance across your tongue.

D: Pretty drinkable, taste is a little overpowering and a bottle or two would be about enough for me. Very interesting beer, I wish the oak came out some more, this would be amazing mellowed out and aged.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown color. Smooth, light tan foam. Nose shows a lot of brett, along with light notes of raspberry, cherry and oak from the Red Zin barrels. Flavor tastes like brett, alcohol, along with a lightly vinous character. Overall, it's quite dull and simplistic in body. Doesn't seem to have a lot of concentration or depth. Don't like the nose to well or flavor, also would prefer natural carbonation. Tasted again: The combo of brett & the vinous character really clash for me.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Review number 355, here we go. Apparently the title has something to do with Belgium and horses. I will have to look into it further. Poured this one in to a Duvel oversized tulip glass. Appearance is pretty dark, just about black from what I can tell. Heading is about a finger and a half of tan froth. Smell starts off with some sour cherry, followed by some Brett funk. Smell remains lactic throughout, with wine notes here and there (perhaps from the Zinfandel barrels). Pepper and spice come in first with the taste, then some more lactic notes, then some dark berry, and finally ending on a very interesting prickly almost bitter taste. I am left thinking of figs with the aftertaste. Body is about medium, and drinkable considering the heightened abv. Still, more than one of these might be too much. Interesting is the main word that comes to mind when I ponder this beer. Tons and tons of complexity coming through as it warms. I would be interested to see how this ages. Maybe a once in a while beer considering the hefty price tag. Cheers to the guys at Avery for pulling out such an interesting brew.

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance - Black, with hints of brown at the edge. Pours a frothy light brown head. Not at all what I was expecting from a wild ale... intriguing.

Smell - A few sour fruit notes, as well as a noticeable wine smell. I'm a big fan of Zinfandels, so I'm definitely ready to take a sip.

Taste - Smoky earthy notes start out, and you get a mild bit of the zinfandel on the tongue. The malt shines through more than I thought it would, and the sour is relatively subdued.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light on the weight, with a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability - Surprisingly high for this kind of beer. Usually one of the sour ones and I'm done for the night, but this is surprisingly mild and refreshing.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Reviewed on 3/4/09

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Dark brown body, 1.5 finger, tan head that is fluffy. Fades to no head.

Smell was sour, earthy, cherries and hints of the zinfandel barrels.

Taste consisted of zin barrels up front with a nice roastiness and sweetness. Semi tart, hints of cherry finish. Tartness is not overpowering. The brett adds a nice funk as well. Slight hint of chocolate and tannins as well.

Mouthfeel was a medium body. Lots of carbonation give a light finish. Slightly dry as well.

Drinkability was good. Well rounded flavors, not overly sour. 8.65% was nonexsistant.

Overall it was a really good wild ale, without being to "wild". Very drinkable and mildly tart. Could drink a few of these easily. Great complexity of flavors.

4.54/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Very dark red purple in color with a small light brown head that quickly fades to a thin cap leaving almost no lacing.

S- Very earthy sour brett aroma coming from this beer. Some caramel sweetness and tart berries are pretty dominate. Also hints of nuts and a light floral aroma. Much of the wine aromas have been tamed since I tried it at the brewery a couple of months ago.

T- Some tart berry flavors, raspberries and unripened strawberries. Some sweet caramel notes accompanied by dry bitter roasted barley flavors. Some oak comes through but does not make a big presence. Hint of wine fruitiness. Drys out at the end and leaves your palate with a nice tart bit.

M- This is a medium bodied beer with some great tartness and good carbonation. I very much enjoy the mouth feel.

Overall this is one of the better wilds I have had, though it is not as crazy and bold as some it has great subtle and complex flavors. This beer has a great mouth feel and drinkability that is hard to beet at 8.65% ABV. I am glad I have a few of these hanging around.

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

One of the better brews I've had from Avery. Their wild ales are getting closer and closer to Vinnie's quality. Pours a dark rosewood color with a lacy tan head. The nose has tart fruits, zinfandel grapes, oak and earthy barnyard funk. The taste is quite winey, well balanced by the sour fruit and musty brett presence. Clean crisp body has a dry finish. Taste could use some time to develop, but good stuff.

Brabant from Avery Brewing Company