New World Porter | Avery Brewing Company

averybrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by cokes on 08-27-2002

Ratings: 1,029 |  Reviews: 499

This beer pours a dark brown color, that, when held up to a light, has a slight ruby red tint to it. The head is thick, fluffy, and light brown. It fades very slowly, leaving a lot of laces.

The first thing I noticed about the aroma, was as I was pouring it, it was strong. Malty caramle sweetness. Also, some slight citrus hops. It has a nice coffee aroma also.

This beer tastes great. It has a coffee flavor. It tastes like sweet caramel. It has a slight hop flavor also.

This beer is very smooth. It is well carbonated for the style. It is balanced to perfection. It leaves a malty aftertaste.

I think this beer would make an excellant session beer. It tastes great, and the alcohol content is not too high.

Overall: This is probably one of the best Porters I have ever had. I was expecting a booring beer with out much taste. Unfortunately, I get that a lot from Porters. What I got this time was an amazing beer. WOW.

Tired.. to be short. DRY HOPPING! This is what this beer is all about. This beer would fall through and would have no credibility without it. Good malt.. Roast.. chocolate.. I hesitate to call it thin because its full enough to enjoy, thin enough to take a long pull. Well balanced.. for a hop head. But let me reiterate...

DRY HOPPING! Want a dark, hoppy, sessionable beer? Than this is for you! A damn good porter for a hop fix, rather than a malt fix. I believe this beer fills in a good niche, and hence deserves a spot in my cupboard! I am not a man to buy packs of many beer, but this one would warrant my money! I am a horrid reviewer.. what do the hops tastes like.. err.. well... good. Its bitter than most porters, so move along if that isn't your thing.

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours reddish brwon with a finger and a half beige head.

Coffee aromas at first, but then chocolate, and not just any chocolate, but fucking milk chocolate. Wow, it's like a liquid candy bar. Fabulous.

Alot of roastiness in the flavor, but also some black patent acid and an ever present chocolate. Nice rounded bitterness at the end.

Full bodied and chewy, this is what porter is all about. Almost as good as homebrewed. Excellent brew.

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

12 oz into Schlitz weizen glass.

Wow this beer fits me more nicely that any other in recent memory.

A: Beautiful cascading browns on pour with 3 finger tan head over a dark reddish brown body. Laces all the way up and down and head retention is a one.

S: Floral hops and caramel malts.

T: Perfectly balanced hops, malts and yeast. bitter and malty espresso kick that starts toffee sweet and ends piney dry. Bravo!

M: Wow this feels good in there (thats what she said).

D: This beer is really good. You should try on one. I'm betting it will be a tailor fit, lads and lasses. I'm glad I live in the New World.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

A tremendous porter that is bold, tasty and complex. It pours nearly black and the head is modest but durable, tan in color and nicely lacing the glass. The smell is impressive--chocolate, coffee, caramel, and citrus and berry hops. The taste is equally intricate, with the flavors bursting forth, and the texture is creamy smooth, very delicious. I'm glad I grabbed more than one of this fantastic, fascinating brew that has quickly moved near the top of my list of favorite porters. Well done, as usual, by Avery.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Sooo glad I re-reviewed this one. Turns out my original sample was seriously off. Initially was about a 3.5 and a rare buy. Now 4.5 and heavy rotation.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating system into a pint glass. It had a black color that showed mahogany highlights when against a bright light. It had a huge tannish head from a healthy pour that settled into a constant 1/4" inch foam with great lacing. The smell was great - roasted malts, coffee and some sweetness (the original sample had a weird piney smell that thankfully wasn't in this one). The taste was amazing. This is exactly what I want in an Am Porter. Great roasted taste from start to finish with some bitter but not too much at the end. Mouthfeel was nice and creamy. Overall this is an amazing beer that I highly recommend. This one will be a player in the rotation for sure (4.5, HR, T, Y)

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

A dry-hopped Robust Porter from Avery? Oh hell yeah!

Packaged in a 12 oz. brown bottle adorned with an attractive label featuring an ornamented map of the Americas. Served in a Willie Becher pub glass.

Color is black with a creamy beige head and sticky-icky lacing properties. Carbonation makes its way to the surface in a science-fiction bubble-shaped alien spacecraftesque manner.

The aroma is a phenomenon of sorts, as it promises the chewy caramel I crave blasted with the intrinsic essence of spicy coniferous trees.

Mouthfeel is intense and full. The creamy sensation gets clobbered halfway through as big bitter takes over for a bristling finish.

The taste is fantastic with a dogpile of chocolate malt, sweet caramel and intense hops.

This beer is very flavorful and enjoyable to drink. This is no English Porter as evidenced by the assertive bitterness and upfront hop aroma. I very much enjoyed this cutting-edge American-brewed bastardization of a classic English style.

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Really nice mouthfeel and great

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%

this beer caught me with my pants down was not expecting to find a dark port that had so much hoppy goodness the smell is nothing but hop but yet the balance of the taste was not to overpowering sill had some malt taste very easy to drink all around a very great beer

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance: dark, rich brown, and a big, creamy, cocoa/ tan head.
Aroma is perfect! Rich, delicious, bitter at first, but quickly dissolves into a luscious, creamy essence, redolent with notes of coffee, spice, rum, pepper, anise...a beautiful blend!
Taste possesses small bitterness, thick, sweet, roasted malt, and is ultimately rounded out and smoothed, immensely palatable. Tenacious flavor continues with every sip, and is instantly met with creamy smoothness. Long, rich, flavorful finish. Yum, yummy, yum! Damned near perfect, and I'd put it up there with Anchor for flavor and smooth drinkability.
If the world was better, I could get this around here, and drink it every day.
As it is, I thank kbub6f (and TXHops!) for helping me to sample this exemplary porter. Oh, it's good!

4.61/5  rDev +18.8%

New World Porter pours a large coffee and cream colored head that is dense and thick. It has great retention, becoming rocky as it settles, and leaves heavy lacing. Body is about as dark as brown can get, almost black. Aroma has roasted dark chocolate, coffee, and piney hops. A small touch of citrusy hops as well.

Taste starts with bitter roasted dark chocolate, then coffee with grapefruit and lemon, with a piney and slightly herbal hop finish, with a hint of vanilla. Roasty and piney aftertaste. Feel is maybe just a tad light for the style, with expected carbonation, great creamy feel.

Wow, I had high hopes for this one, and my hopes were far exceeded. This is the best Hoppy Porter/ Black IPA/ American Black Ale (whatever you wanna call it) I have ever had, easily surpassing Sublimely Self-Righteous (which is a great beer in its own right).

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

a dry-hopped porter

A: the pour set forth brown colors of all shades paired with deep orange reddish hues. The caramel mocha whipped top left dangling chunks and streaks of sticky lace, nice look. By the pour I get the feeling that this brew has some "heft" to it

S: dark roasted chocolate malts, with subtle toffee nut whiffs. What tickles my nose the best is the solid dose of citrusy and fruity hops. Overall, I like my porters robust and malty and the bursting smells of hops surprised and intrigued me. Lets see what happens

T: Dang. I was fearing that this would be a hop bomb and jab at the roasted malty flavors, not the case at all. Avery Brewing has done a great job of keeping the roasted chocolate cocoa sprinkled malts in a good footing while the hops swirl about. The hops are melded, dare I say perfectly, in the mix and take on flavors of oranges, grapefruits, and fresh florals. The finish has a snap of peppery hops with a few splinters of woodiness and the tastes of bitter coffee, chocolates, and caramel are still going strong. Great stuff going on in this one!

M: to even further my compliments of this porter is the meaty body. One of the heavier porters I have had in a while with a glassy smooth finish. The body just fits the flavors, tastes, and style wonderfully

D: I am marking this one in my beer book. This has to be one of the tastiest porters I can remember having. As mentioned before, I like the typical robust malty porters and shy away from really hopped type porters or stouts. But, if they get the right combination going, I am hard pressed to set the glass/bottle down. This one great!

New World Porter from Avery Brewing Company