New World Porter | Avery Brewing Company

Style: American Porter

Added by cokes on 08-27-2002

Reviews: 500 | Ratings: 1,028
3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Dark red brown color, creamy dense head. Tons of lacing on the glass.

Very nice nose - lots of roasted malt and coffee. Hints of sweet caramel malts.

Taste is very smooth.Sweet malt, very light hops. Light on the roasted coffee and roasted malts. Very smooth, very light carbonation.

Very drinkable beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

12oz bottle poured into curved pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown/black with a tan fluffy head.

S - Citrus, hops, roasted malt, caramel. Hops are very noticeable. A little bit funky.

T - Malt base with roasted caramel and chocolate flavors is quickly overpowered by hoppy bitterness. Finishes dry and bitter. The tastes don't seem to blend well - ends up as a muddled mess.

M - Medium body, silky feel.

D - Flavors just don't seem to mix well.

This beer seems like a hopped up version of a porter...even as a hop fan, I don't think it works out too well. The flavors just run together and don't really contribute much...

2.53/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A) a little flat, only small head that faded quickly. Dark dark brown, good color.

S) kinda light, nothing really eminating from the glass, just a slight roasted toffee type smell.

T) Fizzy and a bit tart. I'm used to Porters being more full flavored than this.

M) Again, a tad sharp on the tongue. I like my porters on the creamy side, this is thin.

D) I bought a 6er, certainly I will finish it, but I won't be buying again as there are too many good beers to be had.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

It has a rich mahogany, wet leather brown. It's dark enough you can't see any light through it. The head is a creamy coco color and laced the glass fairly well as it reduced to a film over this beer. The nose isn't very pleasant at first. Some molasses notes with some burnt tobacco and grain. There are defiantly some hops and coffee notes that stick to the tongue. There is some sweet brown that show up on the second sip. The finish is long! It is longer than I would like but it's flavors change as it lingers which makes it very enjoyable. The lingering flavors make it a slow drinker.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at Jose Pistolas... Pours very deep brown, almost black and when the light hits it you see the shades of ruby-red. Creamy tan head that sticks around for a bit after the first sips and then fades into a ring around the glass- some lacing. Smells of dark chocolate, smokiness, and hoppiness. Mmm, great taste, smokey chocolate, hops, and caramel. Pretty smooth mouthfeel, the smokiness and the hop bite is something nice to have in a porter. Definitely worth a few pints.

1.63/5  rDev -58%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This porter had a great appearance when poured. It was a little more carbonated than I preferred.

We could definitely tell the difference of the dry-hopping process. This tasted bitter and very citrusy. Reminiscent of crossing a Shock-top with a porter look.

Not my style, as it claimed to have sweet caramel and chocolate characteristics. All I could taste was citrus and hops.

Will not buy this again.

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Many thanks to Beaver13 for turning me on to this beer – he didn’t buy this one for me, but the first one I ever had was due to his generosity, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge him for his good taste.

Avery hasn’t made a beer that I haven’t liked, and I’ll tip my hand – I’ve had this before, and it’s terrific. IIRC, this is a dry-hopped Porter… brilliant!

APPEARANCE: Translucent dark root beer brown. Head is ENORMOUS – half the beer is still in the bottle, awaiting its turn to be drank. Tight, firm bubbles… I might go take a walk while this settles down.

Okay… back. Only 2 inches left of this head, and the lacing left behind by the first inch is beautiful! Quite a sight.

AROMA: MMMMmmm… hops! What a pleasure to be able to SMELL them in a porter! Decent malt as well, but the hops certainly take center stage here.

FLAVOR: It’s quite odd for me to taste hops right off in a porter (forgive me – I’ve had so many porters over the last few months they were all beginning to taste the same), and this is a nice change. Every sip carries the tell-tale tongue-tip-tingling of a strong hop presence. Coffee and chocolate in the middle – nice balance – but this is a hop bomb (and I mean that in a good way). And why not?

MOUTHFEEL: Nice spiciness, medium weight, clean finish.

DRINKABILITY: This is a great late spring or early fall brew. I could see myself lifting a few of these on a brisk September evening out on someone’s deck in the mountains… as long as I’m not driving home afterwards; the 6.7% ABV is somewhat winding-mountain-road-driving prohibitive.

OVERALL COMMENTS: You know, this really doesn’t fit the style for a porter, what with all the hoppiness and such… and you know what else? I just don’t care. OUTSTANDING beer!

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

This is more of a black ipa than a traditional porter(although knew that before trying since it was on the bottle). Dark but not black with a lot of hops, a lot more than traditionalporters. A really solid beer from one of my favorite breweries. This is only seasonal and I will definitely look for it again.

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: A small amount of light tan head sitting on a very dark, nearly black, beer.

Smell: Thick caramely malt and hops smell. This is a really strong and unique smell. The mixture of the sweet malts and strong hops almost makes it smell like a toned down imperial stout. Caramel, anise seed, oak, brown sugar, and liquorice.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Tastes much like it smells. This is really good. It has a deep roasted malty background with a spiky hops profile laid over it. The malt is chewy and thick, like maple syrup and caramel. The hops come on heavy and really stimulate the taste buds. The porter leaves a nice, lingering aftertaste, with the hops staying around the longest. This is incredible for a porter. It is, in many respects, similar to a toned-down imperial stout. Nice. The body is nice and full. It seems more stout-like than porter-like. This is really interesting.

Drinkability: This is very drinkable. However, it is so packed with smells and flavor that I wouldn't want to process more than two bottles of this in a sitting. It's a lot of taste and think over at one time.

4.37/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Libby Poter/Stout glass.

A - Extremely dark brown to black body. 1 Finger head that is a dark orange/creamy caramel color. Head dissipates after about a minute and leaves splotchy lacing that is still active with bubbles and a large amount of lacing around the edge of the glass.

S - Light caramel, cooked orange , coffee, butter, vanilla, creamy, reminds me of a stout smell more than a porter, along the lines of a guiness. Hints of hops.

T - Starts incredibly creamy, once again reminded me of a guiness, but it followed with a spiciness like pepper and orange rind. Ends with moderate coffee and hop notes. Really nice flavor.

M - Starts off very full and rich, which I enjoy. Turns into mild acid, but is always accompanied by a creamy and bubbly lacing.

O - A very, very good beer, and one of the best porters I've ever had. I bought this beer from one of my favorite places because it was on sale. I was not expecting something this great for how much I paid for it, and I might go back and grab some more that were on sale.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Served from a bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance – pours a VERY dark brown (not quite black) – with a chocolaty essence – light caramel colored head, but very little of it, and disappates quickly

Smell – chocolate is the first thing that I notice, along with a general sense of Earth – dirt/herbs/mint

Taste – obviously, chocolate and malts make themselves very apparent, also one of the rare occasions where the earthy/dirt smell actually come through in the taste (I know the idea of dirt taste isn’t appealing, but trust me, this is delicious).

Mouthfeel – very nice. Smooth, drinkable, moderate carbonation but not overwhelming. The alcohol level hovers around 6.5%, and is another element that is very apparent. Not quite as masked as other brews I’ve had, but not overpowering or imposing

Overall - not quite a porter, but a very nice black IPA. Flavors work well together, high drinkability – not super original or unique, but I will buy this again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured black, with a thick and bumpy two-finger head that clung to the glass in thick dollops of murky yellowish cappuccino-like foam and remained well after the brew was finished. Smelled of rich, dark chocolate, almost Tootsie Roll-like sugary chocolate, with mild vanilla and cherry notes and a slight smokiness. The taste was smoky and bitter up front, the hops are more notable than in most porters. Notes of peat and chocolate came through with a clean coffeeish finish. A very nicely crafted porter and the extra hop presence was a nice addition to the style. Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Avery's New World Porter could probably just as easily be called a black IPA as it could a porter, and the new labels Avery just switched too even call it a black IPA in small letters near the bottom. Whatever it is, its delicious.

The nose is a great mix of caramel and juicy, citrusy American hops. On the palate those citrusy hops are also apparent, along with a bit of a piney note and the bitterness from the hops and the beer's rich, dark, roasty malts blend together real nicely. For a beer with so much going on, and so much hoppiness, this stuff goes down real smooth. I imagine it would be a versatile food pairing beer as well thanks to its dual nature as a porter and an IPA-ish beer.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Purchased at the brewery's tasting room. New caps with a big red "A" are now easily distinguishable from the rest of the crowd.

Pours with a thick foamy light beige head. Foam is persistent. Beer is a velvety black void...

Aroma centers on the massive earthy hop bouquet; this is a aggressively dry hopped robust porter. Nice chocolate accents balance as the head begins to recede into the darkness.

Bitterness from roasted malts and the 45 IBUs assert themselves from the start. Hints of chocolate and coffee move across the pallet and are followed by a pleasant drying sensation.

This is a great beer. Terrific flavor and aroma; I wish I could call it a great session beer but at almost 7% ABV, I don't think that is advisable. If you are a fan of hops and porters, this is a great example of a big American porter or even on the low end of a black IPA.

Music enjoyed whilst sampling: Bird Song by the Grateful Dead

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%

Dark caramel pour. Easy tan head that slowly dwindled with good lacing. Dark body with noticeable red hints. Slightly sweet for a second before the bitterness and dark chocolate with a hint of coffee came through. The bitterness was long lasting. Medium mouth feel.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

A: one finger tan creamy head. Clear dark brown color with good lacing on the glass.

S; I was surprised by getting a hop aroma and then I read the bottle. It stated it was dry hopped.

T: Roasted malt, some coffee taste with a surprise of hops sitting on the back of the tongue. The beer finished nice with a lasting bitterness.

M: Medium to light body with a nice amount of carbonation and bitterness that bites the tongue.

O: I enjoyed this porter very much. The dry hopping gave it and extra kick. I will definitely get more of this and immediately jumped to the top of my favorite beers.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Ok...so i really did not know a hell of a lot about this one prior to trying it. I am lucky enough to have a beer store nearby that lets you make your own 6 packs with anything they have in the store. I was in a real porter mood so I picked 6 different porters that i thought would be good. This one comes highly recommended so i figured i'd give it a whirl.

preface- i was hoping for a very traditional malty porter tonight. so when i cracked it open, what did i smell a bunch of? hops!....hmm that's odd i thought. after some sniffs, i rolled it in the mouth, sucked it down, and what did i taste? monster hops! whoa! this took me by surprise! now if i would have done some research i would have known what to expect. very cold...very hoppy...as it warmed, settled down a little. i like it, just threw me for a loop.

so if you are in the mood for a hoppy but balanced porter, this is great. if you are a malty man (or woman)...maybe rethink this. for me it was if troegs took hopback and dead reckoning stuck it in a room together, put on some wacka wacka bow chicka bow wow music and this beer was birthed. sound weird?? maybe...but i get it

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Avery's New World Porter pours into the glass dark chocolate brown forming a 1/4 inch, cream colored head. There are also whisps of lacing that continue to stain the glass all the way to the end of the beer.

This "Pioneer Black IPA" has notes of chocolate and caramel with hints of smoke and coffee and citrus (lemon crispness, tiny bits of grapefruit sourness).

The beer tastes of roasted, almost burned malt with hints of chocolate and coffee. There are also tiny hints of a smoky sourness that comes in at the end of each sip but is barely noticable. The finish is almost citrusy crisp and lasts a while.

This beer has a medium to full body with good carbonation. The finish is long and crisp but very light.

Overall, I really enjoy this beer. The malt presence is strong but there's still some hop presence which makes this beer incredibly easy to drink. Especially with spicy food. I'd definitely have it again.

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

It was pretty much pitch black, had a nice head on it though. Kinda frothy looking. Smell was of dark roasted malts with not too much hop coming through. Had coffee hints in the taste and the smell. I liked it. Had sort of a heavier mouth feel. Pretty good drinkability.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Very dark, darker than I expected. Can't see through it. Thin and light tan head.

Smell: Picking up some light coffee notes, not much else.

Taste: Earthy and I get coffee as the primary flavor. Hint of chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Light and relatively dry, pretty bitter for a porter. Hint of alcohol in the aftertaste.

Overall: Pretty good, not great. My favorite porters have more complex flavors and this one is pretty straightforward, but I do like it. Not particularly moved but wouldn't turn one down if offered to me.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on: 09-20-2006

Avery New World Porter pours out a medium creamy head. The lacing is about as thick as you will see on a porter. Very nice. The body however was a bit thin. Slightly creamy.

Tasting notes would include strong dark malt, light coffee and dark chocolate. The porter was a little on the sweet side. The aroma notes featured chocolate, malt and molasses

3.59/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown pour with tan head and decent lacing. The nose is all roasted malt and coffee with just a hint of hops. The palate follows the nose with hints of caramel and piney hops. The chocolate and hops come on stronger as the beer warms. I really like this, I'm not a huge porter guy so the hops cutting through the finish makes this much more enjoyable

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

Dennis: Never one to truly enjoy Porters, I was hesitant to try this. I did enjoy that it seemed to have more prevalent hops that other porters, and came across with more roasted malts than buttery sweetness. Over all I'd have to say it is definitely drinkable.
Jen: Okay, so I really only expect the best from Avery every time I pick up one of their brews, so, this being a porter, I was ready for a soft let down. But it never came. The brew smells of toasty malts with a mild smokey background. The taste brings more of the same. A blend of toasted malts and roasted coffee beans with a hint of baking chocolate. This is a very different porter, as it is dry-hopped to give it that little something at the end. This may not be my favorite, but it rose up to the occasion.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

A very nice brew, the flavors linger from start to finish. I'm still trying to figure out the subtleties of dry-hopping, but it seems clear that it adds to the complexity of the flavor. Avery's a fantastic brewery, one of the major players in the Colorado beer scene, and they obviously know what they're doing. Their New World Porter is an excellent product and I'll certainly buy it again. A cask version of this would be superb.

Hop it wet,
Hop it dry.
Hoppy says

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance - A rather cool looking bottle pours into my liberian pint glass. The pour is dirty brown shading into black in any great quantity. There's a dirty blonde head on top of the beer that leaves great lacing up and down the walls of the glass, I assume from the hop oil. Likewise the head lasts than is normal for a porter. When held to the light however, it is revealed to be cloudy with fine sediment or chill haze. It is however, translucent all the way through with a ruddy brown glow. This lack of any great opacity leads me to wonder if the body will be that big.

Smell - Hops! Wow, there's pine hops in my porter. Definitely convinces me to homebrew the dryhopped porter I recipe-ated a while back. There's pine and faint citric notes in the hop nose. Below that is black malts and a general malty sweet aroma.

Taste - Really good. This stuff is great! The first sip is all hops, pine hops piled on top of resinous and citric hops, with a biting bitterness. Luckily the hop flavor is balanced with the bitterness. Too great of bitterness without enough corresponding hop flavor is a pitfall some beers fall into. As you continue to drink the malts make themselves more and more apparent, and by the time you are a third or so in the malts and hop levels have equalized and there's a wonderful balance to the beer. The malts are black and bittersweet, with chocolate, mocha, and hints of coffee. There's a mild sweetness. This is balanced with the hop bitterness rather than bittersweet malts like in a normal porter. This is an interesting thing to taste, I approve. A wonderfully bittersweet and fragrant hop bomb. I nominate this as the best new beer I've tried in a couple weeks at least.

Mouthfeel - This stuff is smooth, with really no alcohol presence and a medium to heavy body. The mild sweetness makes itself apparent in the mouthfeel as well. Generally a creamy, though not monstrously viscous beer. I'd say the body is slightly lighter than the average porter maybe by a hair. Really well carbonated to the appropriate level. There's a bit more than in a normal porter, and this supports the hoppy head and effervesces pleasantly with the slightly lighter body and detectably soap and oily hops.

Drinkability - Good stuff here, the drinkability is quite high. The hops and malts consolidate and produce a wonderful balance. Each sip brings a mixture of flavors. The body and carbonation are spot on, and the lack of alcohol presence makes this a great session beer. The hops and hop bitterness never makes itself astringent or harsh in any way, promoting drinkability as well.

Great stuff, gotta get some more!

New World Porter from Avery Brewing Company