Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Quinquepartite | Avery Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
QuinquepartiteQuinquepartite

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

"No. 5 in our Barrel-Aged Series. Brewery release only. 60 cases shared. 27 hoarded. This beer consists of: 37% Ale aged in Cabernet Savignon barrels, 25% Ale aged in Chardonnay barrels, 21% Ale aged in Port barrels and 17% Ale aged in Zinfandel barrels."

Added by womencantsail on 08-12-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 36 | Ratings: 78
4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a Matilda glass. Good active carbonation noted, bright amber color.

Good deal of Brettanomyces in the nose right now, rather horsey and barnyard urine-ish. It does open up somewhat beyond that, though, giving way to a minor citrus note that almost makes me think hops. Yeah, now I get a little orange rind and clove. Nearly a potpourri-type aroma now. Warming further, I get full-on wine, no bones about it, albeit wine with a bit of a Brett infection.

Taste is vinous, as you would expect, and bright. It has more of a bright acidity to it, whereas Brabant, by contrast, tastes like a dark thorny bush with cobwebs. Tart up front, but really doesn't build to the level of sour that you expect it might. I can't pick out the various wine barrels used here, but the fermented grape influence is certainly apparent. Fairly Brett-y, but not overwhelmingly so. I think I like this "sour" *because* it achieves a certain balance. It's a tad too strong at almost 10%, but then again, I can't really taste the alcohol, so I guess that's not going to be a terrible complaint this time. There's a certain thickness here, though, that I think is indicative of the alcohol content. Tasty, but I think I feel compelled to knock both the taste and mouthfeel down from 4.5 to 4 because of this.

Not too much of a knock, though. This is still excellent beer. I'd just rather it come in at around 7%.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a tasting glass. Big thanks to Bman1113VR.

Murky dark golden body with a one finger white head. Dies down to a this layer of foam on top. Leaving some good lacing behind.

Initially all I could get in the nose was horse blanket. As the beer opened up I get some fruit like oranges and citrusy notes.

The taste is horse blanket, orange jam, citrusy orange zest, spicy oak, and a nice hit of vanilla. Really citrusy, surprisingly with a nice bit of acidity.

The mouthfeel has a nice mid range body, and the carbonation keeps it light and a bit dry.

The alcohol is barley noticeable. It's a really interesting and tasty beer. Surprising amounts of citrus.

Thanks to Nellie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is tart oranges with some oaked notes. The flavor is tart cherries, oak and red wine. I don't get much funk in the beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very good sour beer.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rare and -bal aged? This is going to be good.

Amber hued, a bit muddy and hazy, this looks decent.

Buttery chardonnay barrels are the first thing I pick up on the nose, or maybe it's diacetyl? It also has a red wine character, tart cherries, ripe strawberries. Smells both acetic and lactic, mildly so. Not bad.

Taste is decent, very vinous with buttery oak, red wine, strawberries and balsamic vinaigrette. Alcohol is fairly noticeable, but not harsh. Full-bodied, a bit flabby maybe. Finishes vinous and boozy with moderate tannins. Not a bad little beer, about on par with Avery's other wild ales.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to buddy Mitch for providing me with this.

This is a relatively new style for me, but one that I am growing very fond of!

Pours a very hazy amber yellow into a tulip glass with an initial head of half an inch, with a quarter inch remaining. Nice lacing.

Aroma is intriguing, with some tart apples, just a slight funkiness, a bit of port wine and some oak.

Taste is very nice. Slightly tart, but not much funk. Hints of chardonnay and red wine. Slightly metallic finish.

Mouthfeel is fairly light and dry. Nicely carbonated to keep it refreshing. Alcohol very well hidden. Works well on a hot summer day.

Overall, I am a fan. I think this is a good beer to introduce to people who may not have had sours before. Would like to see this make the regular rotation!

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a deep golden color, with a nice fluffy white head on top. Nice tartness on the nose, with sour cherries, lemons, light vanilla and brett. The tartness becomes more pronounced as it warms, with lemonade, chardonnay, grapes and a bit of funk. Nothing earth-shattering here, but a pretty decent beer.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a bottle that was obtained through waltonc, thanks again. A golden yellow, fairly transparent with no sediment, with a light topping of fine bubbles at the edges. It is a still beer, with no visible signs of active carbonation.

The smell runs the gambit from brett funkiness, pineapple, lemonade, some biscuity malty undertones, sour cherries, orange rind, and a slight bit of medinciney phenols mixed with faint all spice. The aroma has a certain weight to it and is delicious.

The taste is actually a bit more focused and reminds me more of a syrupy lemonade with some brett musti/tartness mixed with granny smith apples. A sour-bitter bite at the back of the throat dries things out a bit.

Very light carbonation, but for the style works perfectly. Overall this is a really tasty beer and I look forward to seeing how this ages.

There were some forum comments regarding this beer and Avery Voltron (that they might be the same beer). From what I remember at last year's Bistro festival, this is very different than Voltron - much less wine-like and lactic. Also much better in my opinion.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

A- hazy amber in color, white thin head, looks of a barrel aged brew.

S - slightly sour with hints of green apple, wood, and something i cant quite place. also a hint of grassy hops and lemon zest.

T - Medium sourness with good balance of malt and oak to balance it out. tannins prob form the cab barrels, but overall a pretty well balanced sour ale. you can taste the blend of all the different barrels with the Chardonnay sticking out the most.

m - mouthfeel is dry with lightly prickly carbonation,

D - Like most sour ales i have tried, I would not want to drink more than one or two a night, but being only moderately sour I could easily put down a bottle of this.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Pours cloudy orange with a real nice white one finger head. A little dash of lacing in there with some decent retention

S: There the sour for sure. The funky aged vinegar with some grassy notes and some grapefruit like tartness. making my mouth salivate.

T: Its not the sourest beer but my mouth gets a bomb of tartness which i want. has a lot of i guess maybe the chardonnay grassy character with a pronounced brett sour. Lots of tannins are overpowering the port barrel which is trying to poke its head out. has a lemon citrus taste after a few sips and a green grape presence

M: Carbonation is really done well with this one. my mouth gets really dried out which is expected so my palate is working hard.

D: I really dont get any alcohol in this, its pretty much just sour. I know there are beers that are more sour but I will have to say its got a great punch. Each sip I keep getting some new flavors so its fun to try to pick out something new. I think it might be a little more sour than the sui generis but a little more fruity. I cant choose which is better so thats a good thing in my book.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

This beer pours a murky golden, light brown. Almost like a dirty martini, but with a bit-denser-than-soapy bubbles head.
A busy aroma going on here. Sweet and sour go for balance here with the sour winning by a slight edge. For a sour beer, this one isn't all that strong, but the other aromas give it salience. Chardonnay and Zin is what I get mostly from the nose.
The taste offers the port a bit more feeling from the cab barrels. Tannins come into play here and a soft, overripe pear fruitiness forms the flavor cornerstone.
This is a good sour for me. It's not a mouth-puckerer, but not bland either. The mixing of the wine barrels is interesting and gives it something more than just 'hey, I'm sour'.
Nice offering. Not sure if it will age well, though.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Really? I'm going to be the one to add this beer?

Thanks to Richard for sharing this one tonight. A rare -bal aged wild ale is always one I'm willing to tick.

A: The pour is a sort of hazy amberish color with a nice rocky off-white head to it.

S: I immediately pick out the chardonnay notes from this beer, but that may be because I love Temptation and know all too well what that smell is. Lots of nice grape notes along with a definite sweetness. Almost like a slightly tart sangria.

T: While I can still really pick out the chardonnay, there's a definite port character to this beer. A bit of oxidation, which lends a touch of chocolate which works well with the sweet fruit character. Not overly tart, but a nice lactic sourness and a earthy, yeasty note.

M: The body is nothing out of the ordinary, definitely medium, with a moderate carbonation. Not quite as dry as I prefer my wild beers.

D: After Sui Generis, probably my favorite in the barrel aged beer releases from Avery. A really complex beer that should hold up quite well in the cellar.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last