Rumpkin | Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness, were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happened! This first member of the Annual Barrel-Aged Series was brewed with roasted pumpkins from a local Boulder County farm, and spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.

Added by womencantsail on 10-09-2010

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

2.55/5  rDev -37.5%

2.56/5  rDev -37.3%

2.57/5  rDev -37%

Wanted to like this. Just too boozey (not sure that is a word) which doesn't mix well with the pumpkin. Kind of like pie mixed with malt liquor.

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%

12oz bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured a caramel brown color with a thin white head sticking to the edges of the glass.

The aroma shows a lot of the rum flavors to it. I get some woody notes mixing with the earthy pumpkin pie, nutmeg and allspice flavors. Lots of sweet, sugary and boozy flavors coming though in it.

The taste is very boozy and sweet. I get a sugary sweet maltiness mixing with the rum booziness and a little pumpkin pie spice in the finish. The sweet, sugary maltiness is just way too overdone in it for me making it almost undrinkable.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being below average. Overall I didn't really care for it. It was cloyingly sweet with too much boozy rum showing through. The pumpkin beer flavors just seemed completely hidden and overshadowed to me. Not an enjoyable beer for me at all.

2.64/5  rDev -35.3%

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Sickly sweet. No balance whatsoever. Worst rum barrel beer I've ever had and the worst Avery beer I've ever had.

2.72/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled 7 September 2012. Tasted 6 September 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours an orange brown color. Clear at the top, murky at the bottom from the sediment. Just a little bit of off-white head.

Basically smells like rum, with a little bit of spice and a little bit of pumpkin. It's like sweet, candied rum. And alcohol. I tend not to drink hard liquor, so I can find its character overpowering. But this is another level.

Taste is... alcohol. It's burning, and I can barely get past it. Doesn't have enough flavor to contend with that unmasked alcohol. A touch of pumpkin and spice, but it's like pumpkin flavored rum rather than pumpkin pie. Yes, I know it's a high-ABV beer, but it's so one-dimensional.

Feel is good. Medium-bodied, with a buoyancy that the evaporative alcohol provides. Carbonation is medium-low, but that's okay for a beer like this.

Just doesn't do it for me. It's super alcoholic, and more rum beer than pumpkin beer for sure. I'm buzzed just from my share of this 12 oz. bottle. Yikes, this is potent. Not a whole lot of positive flavors, and a serious alcohol burn. Not one I'd drink again, and I struggled to finish off the bottle with my friend (who said it seemed more appropriate for drinking down by the railroad tracks).

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.76/5  rDev -32.4%

283rd Review
12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass
Vintage: 2011 (bottled: 5 Oct. 2011) – 15.8%

From notes. Enjoyed a while back and just getting around to notes now.

A: Organish tannish brownish amberish; you get the point. Single (light mocha) fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Loads of booze from the get-go here; mainly rum (go figure!). Diced pumpkin and butternut squash follow as well as soft touch of cinnamon, all spice, and vanilla. Booze dominates and almost distract.

T: Big. Bold. Bad. Booziness is a bit too much for this beer as rum is noticeable (and dominant) start to finish. Mix of pumpkin and light spice dances in the middle with vanilla notes towards the end. Again, mostly just booze. I feel like a broken record.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

O: I didn’t like this beer as much as I thought I would. I love pumpkin beers, but the booziness is distracting to me. Not sure the process to sit this on rum barrels, but I’d be curious to know if there’s any way to cut the ABV a bit to optimize the flavour profile of this a bit more. It has potential at a lower ABV to be good (the autumn pumpkin spice notes are nice and well executed when not hidden), but again just too boozy.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
bottled oct 11, 2011

pours a deep, dark amber tone while yielding a short-lived 3/4" head; a bit of patchy lacing evident. nose is rich, sweet, and malty with notes of rum, spice, and booze. for better or worse you know this one will be something else.

flavor is hugely sweet and malty... and boozy; cloyingly sweet, in fact, all of which in my opinion overshadow it's other characteristics (spice, pumpkin, molasses, a little vanilla - which are discernible, just eclipsed). medium-full on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, just way too sweet and boozy for my taste, although i can see where it might be appealing to others. i like bold pumpkins but this just didn't work for me. disappointing (especially considering it's $12.95 price point).

(originally reviewed: 12-20-2011)

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a cloudy orange/red/burgundy with a small brown head that quickly dissipates.

Smell is rum, caramel, sweet oxidized notes, cherry, booze, and oak barrel. Good, typical barrel aged smell.

Taste is up front rum and cherry/sherry that fades into a hint of spice and sweetness and ends on an absolutely sweet and absolutely boozy note. A real boozy mess if ever there was one. The barrel notes are nice but the booze character takes over everything.

Heavy body with low carbonation, and cloyingly sweet.

I wanted to like this beer but it is too boozy and too sweet. These aspects take over any subtle other flavors that might appear. Maybe with age this will settle some, but it's hard to imagine it getting much better with the sweetness as high as it is. I get the appeal, but a rare miss from Avery for me.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
bottled oct 11, 2011

nose is rich, sweet, and malty with notes of rum, spice, and booze.

flavor is hugely sweet and malty... and boozy; cloyingly sweet, in fact, all of which in my opinion overshadow it's other characteristics (spice, pumpkin, molasses, a little vanilla). medium-full on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, just way too sweet and boozy for my taste, although i can see where it might be appealing to others. disappointing (especially considering it's $12.95 price point).

2.82/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle at Common Table. Much more rum beer than pumpkin beer in smell and especially taste. Smooth mouthfeel for such high alcohol content. Sweetness masked any alcohol burn for me - however the sweetness grew to a nearly intolerable level before the bottle was halfway finished. Glad to have tried this one, but far, far too sweet to order again.

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

I know I've reviewed this before; I just haven't gotten around to typing up my written notes. Those are forthcoming, but in the interim here are brief impressions on a 2013 vintage bottle:

Bottled Sept 6 2013. 617 cases produced. Gold foil covers the pry-off cap. 12 fl oz format.

"Pumpkin ale"..."aged in fine fresh rum barrels." 18.53% ABV...sweet Jesus.

Served chilled into an Avery snifter and allowed to come to temperature over the course of consumption.

APPEARANCE: Still yields a hiss upon removal of the cork even after 4 years of aging. Unfortunately, the head fizzles out quickly (within 10 seconds flat), leaving no lacing. It was weak and thin anyway, but clearly that 18.53% is tough for a head to stand up to.

Boy colour is a vibrant red with plenty of plainly visible yeast particulate floating within. Translucent. Transparent when backlit.

I didn't expect a reddish hue in a pumpkin ale, but it's not unappealing by any stretch. A more robust head would be a definite improvement, though.

AROMA: Booze is the first thing I notice, along with warm rum and obvious spices...ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice.

Less prominent notes follow...canned cherry pie filling, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, pie crust, red hot cinnamon candy, leather, and, yes, pumpkin gourd...though the pumpkin is far less prominent than I expected, hardly dominating and indeed almost drowned out by the aggressive rum booze.

I'll never know why Avery insists on monstrous ABVs in their barrel aged beers, and this - like most in the series - is worse for being so hot. Suggests a sipper of a brew with downplayed pumpkin and played up spice.

Aromatic intensity is moderately high. I find no overt hoppy or yeasty notes.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Tingles from cinnamon spice ripple across the palate joined by unpleasant boozy heat and unwelcome rum...time has not been kind to this beer, nor has it mellowed out the obvious high alcohol and concomitant heat.

Ginger, nutmeg, and allspice make appearances alongside sweet molasses and heavy malt sweetness. The rum is harsh, and the barrel doesn't suit the taste well to any extent. I find no overt oak, coconut, or anything you'd actually want from rum barrels; all I get in terms of the rum barrel is depleted sugarcane and booze.

It's aptly carbonated, which is to say it's not very aggressively carbonated at all - and that's precisely what you'd want in a sipper like this.

Pumpkin gourd is buried if not barely present at all...why brew a pumpkin ale if you're not going to commit to the pumpkin gourd?

A bit leathery, a bit rough/coarse on the palate, a bit dry, dragging, and oh - did I mention this was hot? The mouthfeel is unpleasant (and, obviously, unrefreshing). Not oily, scratchy, or astringent, but it's definitely off and there are missed opportunities to accentuate the beer's flavours. Full-bodied and heavy on the palate, but it does stop short of being syrupy even if it does feel too viscous and a bit sticky.

No overt yeasty or hoppy notes.

This is an imbalanced loud beer that emphasizes big bold flavours over nuance, subtlety, and harmony of flavour. I guess it's suited to sell to American drinkers who want that in a barrel aged beer, but I'm not so keen on it.

OVERALL: The premise isn't great...rum and pumpkin in a beer? Sometimes, such combinations work surprisingly well...this is not one of those cases. I didn't find this to be as great as many American drinkers seem to when I tried it fresh, but I hoped it would mellow out with age; in actuality, it just gets worse. At a minimum, an effective pumpkin ale has to deliver in terms of deep vivid pumpkin flavours; this fails that test. Boozy rum drowns out any subtlety this might otherwise have had, and its ABV is high for high ABV's sake. I recall preferring Rumpkin to PumpKYn, but I have to concede aging it changes the pecking order. Enjoy this fresh, or not at all.

To be fair, I do get a hint of coconut as it comes to temperature, and as the alcohol sets in it becomes more enjoyable, bringing a nice warmth to the belly.

C (2.90) / AVERAGE

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

On tap at Tiger! tiger! in San Diego. Murky dark brownish amber in the little globe glass. Not much head. The carbonation barely swims up through the swamp.

So sweet it's shocking. Every sip invokes a shiver. You keep hoping it will get better. Spicy like pie, and sweet like a misguided liqueur. If only there was a plain vanilla custard to pour this over.

This year's batch they call 18.5%. I believe it. Not quite revolting, but the 8 oz glass was more than the two of us could get through.

2.92/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the Bistro barrel-aged fest.

A: Pours a deep orange-honey colored body with good clarity and a nice head. Decent retention with some lace.

S: This beer is intense on the nose. The rum barrel really stands out. Lots of rum, vanilla, oak, brown sugar, nutmeg on the nose.

T: This is horribly, horribly sweet. Cloying, really. Rum, vanilla, brown sugar. The only things that fight the flavor a little bit are the oak and a touch of nutmeg and/or cinnamon. Just the same, it fills that small need in me to have sickly-sweet things around holiday time (and holiday time only) -- then I can spend the rest of the year convincing myself they were awesome. Candy corn falls in this category. Candy corn and Rumpkin. Anyway, it's not the worst pumpkin beer I've had, but 2 oz is all you need, really.

M: Full-bodied. Very sticky, sweet flavors. Could clean up better. I prefer my pumpkin beers to be pie-like but fairly clean in flavor, not syrupy.

O: I was told by some other patrons to leave this "palate-wrecker" toward the end. I was skeptical; how badly could this wreck a palate at a BARREL AGED BEER FEST? Turns out, quite badly. A very sweet beer.

2.92/5  rDev -28.4%

2.97/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 1 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours the a copper brown with thin head, but there is an inordinate amount of yeast clumps floating in mine, which annoys me in anything put a few Belgian style beers. Aroma is fairly hot, and the rum note thins out some of the spicey aromas (nutmeg & cinnamon) giving them a stale characteristic. But it isn't bad. This one is very hot on the rum booziness as you'd anticipate from the ABV. The sugar / molasses flavors from the rum coupled with some of the pumpkin spice somehow creates a concotion not dissimilar to apple flavored robitussin. Very medicinal. I like it to a degree but a whole bottle is a slough. Mouthfeel is thick & coating, very molasses like.

Rumpkin from Avery Brewing Company