Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dihos Dactylion | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Ale aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels.

Added by thagr81us on 02-15-2011

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.62/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas. Was able to have a bottle a few days after their Avery Experience Dinner. Split with a friend and chose this over the Depeuceluce due to the fact that this had Cabernet undertones. We were not disappointed.

Aroma is very strong Cab. Basically it smells just like a red wine. Taste begins the same, but the sour notes, fruit (cherry) and the carbonation take over.

Overall, this is an excellent beer from start to finish. I highly recommend this!

4.62/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Feb. 2011.

A: Warm medium amber maple sizzurp. No head to mouth of.

S: Holy tits. So aromatic with deep funky fruity sourness. I love cab barrels. This one almost hints a tiny bourbon aroma.

T: I repeat, I love cab barrels. Richer and bolder than the nose. I can't quite give it a 5, although it's at least in the upper quartile of the sours I've had.

M: Moderate thickness. Relatively neutral one the wrecking, only very modestly drying, although I split this 12oz. Carbonation is appropriately low. Oh and btw, 11%!?!?!? -> upgrade 0.5

O: Used to celebrate. Didn't disappoint. Will definitely pursue again, 12oz wasn't enough.

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Choice City Butcher for stocking up on this-- Allowed me to try a 12oz bottle, months after Avery's release event. I poured into a tulip glass.

A -- Pours a gorgeous cloudy auburn color with a swirl of solid carbonation. Nice fizzy beige head of about one-half inch.

S-- Sourness, grape, blackberry, blueberry, Cab Sav. Slight oakiness.

T-- Wow. Bitter, tangy melon flavors. Hint of cantaloupe on the finish. The heavy alcohol is part of the experience. Not for the timid. You've got to love beer and red wine.

M-- Medium bodied and somewhat creamy. Well carbonated from the get-go and the carbonation is pretty relentless. Nice quick finish leaves you feeling puckered and wanting more-- but not too much more.

O-- I estimate this bottle had been aging for four months or so. That must have helped. I bet I would like this beer anyway, but it seems to be aging very well. Excellent. I tend to like Avery's experimental stuff, and this is another feather in their cap.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Wasn't able to make it up to Avery for the release, so thanks to Ratman for sharing a bottle with us the other day. Pours a slightly hazy amber color with a nice white head. Good tart/funky aromas, red grapes, wood, raisins and brett. On the palate, this one is light to medium bodied, with a nice tartness, wood, grapes, bordeux and brett. Excellent.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a cloudy, orangish red color with small white head that disappears quickly. Scent is nice and sour with noticeable brett and sweet, red fruits. Taste is initially oaky, followed by some tart cherries. Then I get some crazy buttery flavors that make this beer stand out from any other sour I've ever had. These butter flavors seem to work for this beer. It gets more sour as the flavors mesh with your palate. Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety. Nice and mouth puckering. Drinkability is high (as long as the ABV doesn't catch up to you). Overall, this beer tasted amazing to me, and I had no idea whatsoever this beer was even half the ABV it actually is. So drinkers beware!

Dihos Dactylion from Avery Brewing Company