Dihos Dactylion | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Ale aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels.

Added by thagr81us on 02-15-2011

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

On-tap at Brewvial 2011.

Pours a lovely amber with a creamy off-white head. Very funky and sour, with aromas and flavors of tart lemon juice, cherries, and apples, with an intense tannin finish like a big red wine. Slightly syrupy and oily with fairly crisp carbonation. Moderately drinkable, but definitely a sipper.

4.39/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled Feb. 11, 2011.

12oz foil wrapped bottle served cool into a goblet.

Dihos Dactylion pours a pretty redish brown color with good clarity. The head is fizzy and so it settles quickly.

Aroma is really what strikes me first about the beer. Before I've even poured it into the glass, the sour wild yeast makes itself known. With my nose in the glass, I get more of the dark fruit, red wine, and oak.

Flavor is also really enjoyable and full of depth. Sweet black cherries lead things off before it starts to get all sour and tart towards the middle. The cab barrels come forward with oak derrived vanilla and tannins. It actually has a pretty tannic finish too with the sour flavors coming back at the end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good balance for a wild ale. Not too sour to enjoy the entire bottle. The alcohol is faily mellow even after just five months of aging.

Overall a really nice sour and probably one of my favorites in the series.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A - Pours a bit murky and with lots of carbonation rising throughout the glass. Has a pinkish red tinted amber color and is capped by a finger of off-white foam that fizzes a bit quickly but then leaves a thick collar and a low layer on the surface for most of the remainder of the glass, as well as leaving behind some spiderwebby lacing too.

S - Interesting aroma. I get cantaloupe, over-ripe strawberries, red wine and lots of horsey funk. Mildly tart on the nose - lactic especially. Some interesting aromas here.

T - Somewhat sweet and fruity up front, still getting some strawberry but no cantaloupe in the flavor, but add in some cherry. Lactic sourness is on the low side, really just enough to make this pretty refreshing but not intense enough to be puckering. Red wine flavors come through more as it warms a bit. Alcohol shows up as the beer warms too - I found it unnoticeable in the first half of the glass, but it crept up on me in the second half.

M - Crisply and refreshingly tart, filled with fruity and winey flavors and somewhat light in body. Carbonation is ample and lively complementing the beer well. Sweet up front but dries out a bit on the finish.

O - Overall, a good effort. I find this very enjoyable. I wouldn't put it in the top tier of American Wilds...too many outstanding ones out there. I'd certainly have this again, although the $11 price tag for a 12oz bottle is a bit of a detractor for future purchases...rather go with a Girardin 1882 for a couple bucks less.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Another nice, well made sour beer from Avery. Not nearly on the same level as say Cascade or Lost Abbey, but getting there. Pours a nice orangish color with a silky tan head. Nice wine barrel presenc eover sweet malts and sour yeast. More funky than sour. Clean body drinks well.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

2.85/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 12/8/12

Bottled: Feb 11 2011

Rustic appearance; tobacco and copper hues. One and a half finger head drops to about 1/4th of an inch. Foam clumps at the collar and trails up to lace on the glass. Good lace.

Smells woody and funky; moderate acidity. Vinous and floral tones drift atop sweet grains and mild prairie grass notes. I really like the barrel on this one; it's clean, not musty.

Wow, the taste is a lot funkier and mustier than the aroma. Moderate amounts of sourness tempered by a spot of sugar to cut the puckering aspects. The sugars are compounded with warmth, loaded with grapes and dark fruits.

Medium body with something of a creamy feel despite gritty underpinnings and moderate carbonation. As it warms it starts to get slick with sugars and some alcohol.

While there are some decent aspects, I don't much care for this one overall. Very disheveled.

2.47/5  rDev -38.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to SuperNova777 for opening this bottle for a couple of us.

A- Pours a coppery amber color. Two finger white head shows great retention that ends up lightly capping the top of my beer. Nice streaky/sheety lacing on the sides of the glass when I took each sip.

S- This is interesting to say the least. I picked this up first and another couple people said the same thing. It smelled of some soured vinegar upfront. Nothing wrong with this of course....which leads to the next aroma. Tuna fish...as weird as this sounds this was a huge aroma as well. I mean canned tuna like scent. Like I said I had others agree with me on this one. After this there was a barnyard funk that went along with the style of the beer. Alcohol was light in the nose in the ending. Oddly enough this beer didn't have a horrible smell it was just well...disinteresting to me.

T- This beer starts off with a nice vinegar like sourness to it. Good start I think...haha. Next comes that damn tuna fish flavor. Like I said it tasted to me just like a fresh opened can of tuna. It wasn't horrible to be honest but not what I was looking for in what I thought was a soured beer..haha. Ending shows off some horseblanket barnyard funk. Alcohol comes in the very ending with a hint of vinegar as well. The flavor profile was pretty much dead on to what I was smelling...it wasn't too terrible but not what I was looking for in my flavor profile.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style I thought. Barnyard funk and tuna fish are left on the palate. Aftertaste showed a little tuna fish, alcohol, barnyard funk and hints of vinegar. Flavors were not out of balance but with such funky flavors I suppose it was in balance. No real off flavors?? Tuna fish I suppose was a off flavor but I couldn't tell of any other. High alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This beer was interesting. Not horrible but nothing that I would be seeking out again. ABV really isn't a huge part of this beer until it drys out the ending. Like I said the tuna fish flavor and scent was not only picked out by me in the group but others as well. Don't know what that was about oh well...can't win them all.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

3.82/5  rDev -5%

This is one of the first sour beers which was better than expected. Got this beer in a trade with Listenatjoes when we met in Brussels.

Poured in my La Trappe small tasting glass this beer looks like a typical sour beer. A nice amber colour and the fresh sour smell in the glass.

This is not (and will not be) my favourite style but this is a good sour ale to try this style.

Thanks Joe!!

Appearance: Dark copper, the color of homemade caramel. A touch of haze, but mostly clear. Head is creamy, off-white, and lingers for the duration. Pours with minimal carbonation. Touches of lacing.

Smell: Deep. Touches of wood mix with a big grape nose. Wine pulls through and rounds out the fruitiness. A slight citric edge with a lactic backing. Nice and sharp. Sweetness pervades, but is tamped down on by the biting sour edge. Barrel adds a backing earthiness. A buried note of booze in the back. Twinges of vanilla. Mild funkiness.

Taste: Damp earthiness hits right up front. Building lactic sourness on the swallow. Sweet and loaded down with the barrel characteristics. Deep, rich red wine. Leather and a big barrel/wood component. Earthy with a mild powdery funk. Grapes and overripe cherries.

Mouthfeel: Borders on full. Minimal carbonation and a lingering dryness. Drinks like a champ for >10% ABV.

Overall: Loaded with depth and character. Deceptive for the high ABV and a delight to drink. Nicely complex.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a slightly hazy copper color with a tan 1/4 inch head that quickly forms a nice collar around the glass. Some lace. Sour fruit like notes in the nose along with some brett like florals. Some alcohol notes as well. The cab barrel is tough to really pick out but the grape notes are there. Medium/light mouthfeel with carbonation. Grape/raisin flavor up front pretty immediatly. Sweet start transitions to mild sourness and brett funk with a lingering bitter oaky note. Ends fairly dry. Some sherry type flavors. The booze warms the throat at the end. For being a "young" sour its not too bad, it's a little sweet upfront and I have a feeling the sour/funk notes will continue to develop over time.

Dihos Dactylion from Avery Brewing Company