The Czar | Avery Brewing Company

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by Wildman on 01-05-2003

Ratings: 2,083 |  Reviews: 946
3.44/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled the 298th day of 2013; October 25th. The day what my dad was born on. I miss you.

Black as black, small tannish head of foam, doesn't do much with the lacing.

The nose gives me a big hop profile with I *think* some notes of licorice. Some underlining notes of roasted malt.

Roasted malt in the taste along with some toffee and licorice. And don't forget the hoppy bitterness. As it warms up, I find the flavours overpowering in a not so good way and the alcohol is starting to kick my butt. Either my palate has changed over the the years re this beer or the recipe has changed. I'm inclined to believe the former. As I typed that, I'm now getting a burnt malt/tobacco like flavour. That doesn't help.

Good enough mouthfeel but darn it, a fav of years past has decidedly gone south according to my palate. No more. How can I say that? I have another bottle!

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a very dark brown, just a hint of mahogany up to the light. Head is beiege, whispy and cloudy but nice film left behind. Lace is pretty impressive. Good-looking beer.

Smells quite nutty and sweet. Hint of darkness but mostly sweet with brown sugar, vanilla, peanut butter and a hint of licorice. Yeah, nice sweetness, complexity, touch of spice. Bit savoury. Not bad at all.

Taste is darker on the front but very sweet as well. Lots of vanilla, with a touch of bourbon booziness. Good black pepper, star anise and some dark chocolate notes on there as well. Nice flavours from the booze on the back, but also sharpens up the finish with a hint of bourbon and maybe some port as well. Very nice brew.

Smooth, big, but a bit hot on the back. Just need to tone the booze down a bit and you're onto a winner (Yeah, good one, me giving Adam Avery advice).

Good beer, very nice flavours. A bit hot but plenty of craftsmanship to make something this tasty and flavourful.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.48/5  rDev -11%

On Tap

Pizza Port
Carlsbad, CA

Black throughout with no head--rings and sheets of lacing smear the glass.

Sweet and fruity aroma consisting of roasted malt and tons of dark fruits: figs, plums, and raisins. This is a diversion from most typical big American stouts--there's very little chocolate or coffee aroma present.

The flavor follows the aroma with the dark fruits, plums, figs, and cherries, leading the way along with some sticky molassess essence as well. There's very little coffee or chocolate character, if any at all. Atypical, that's for sure.

Medium to thick bodied with ample carbonation.

While not a bad beer by any stretch, this isn't at all how I prefer my big stouts.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%