The Czar | Avery Brewing Company

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by Wildman on 01-05-2003

Ratings: 2,083 |  Reviews: 946
3.99/5  rDev +2%

Vintage 2005, served in a Maudite snifter.
A dark liquid, but unlike most Big RIS's scarlet hues still penetrate the body of the beer.A Tall head that dissipated to a small lace. This is a sticky beer that marks where it has been.
Dark fruit such as prune and dark berries with alcohol and some slightly oxidized aromas. Not that much going on.
A full body with dark currants, black berries, fig and a slight rum character.
A great beer. I believe this would be a bit overwhelming if fresh but with 4 years it comes together.

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

a- very good looking. best retention I have seen for this style yet. It has a dark ruby red shade towards the bottom. The rest you cant see through

s- very up front smell of hops and some sweet malt profile.

t- fine and typical for an RIS

m- medium body-ish, kind of a light taste, hard to discern much.

d- lowest of many that i have tried. this beer does not handel its 10.77abv very well at all, it was very hot and numbing in my mouth and then my stomach is hot. I did think about pouring the rest out.

It was a 2008 release, To be fair I want to try this one when it is much older when that alcohol doesnt burn the taste away. I guess the Czar never was the nicest guy and dont expect this beer to do you any favors either.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Stuffed Sandwich. Very dark black with big assertive coffee/toffee and fruit nose.

Well balanced flavors of espresso, carmel and toffee with lots of sweet fruit and undertones and back palate of bitter chocolate.

Finishes with light hops and a bit sweet (a pleasant thing). A lovely drinking beer.

Then, decided to compare it to Czar in a bottle - side by side which was great fun.

Bottle poured same color but with a big thick tan head. Nose of toffee and carmel was more assertive than that on draft and also had a bit of a pineapple character to the nose.

Bottle had a creamy mouth feel with bold chocolate and carmel flavors that finished to a hop bitterness. Complex flavors an character.

Czar on draft appeared to be a bit more fruity and a bit sweeter than that in the bottle.

Both, draft and bottle were very nice and one of the "better" Russian Imperial Stouts. (Note, both draft and bottle were 2008).

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

2003 vintage served in a large snifter. Thanks to oglmcdgl for opening this oldie but goody.

A- 2003 Czar is a big black oily resin stain siting in a glass. All in all in line with a RIS. Not getting any head or even a small cap of foam from a pretty hard pour. Some faint small tan bubbles try to live but die. Perhaps this is past it's due date. With no foam comes no lace.

S- A lot of roastede malts and some burnt sugars as well. Getting a lot of figs and raisins in this but the chocolate seems to have faded a bit. No sign of hops at all and just some booze in the back side. As with a lot of high abv avery brews I smell dark fruit.

T- Is in line with the style with dark fruits taking the forefront with raisins and figs. Some old stale coffee from the office, slight chocolate and some vanilla cream to round it all out. This one is very sweet but not quite how I like my sweets, which is a ongoing theme for me with a lot of avery products.

M- Thick and full bodied with minimal carbonation. Very sweet with dark fruits becoming a bit to much towards the finish line. The alcohol creeps in very slightly through all the dominate flavors. This one coats the mouth like so many RIS.

D- Czar is a very drinkable RIS dont get me wrong, it's just not my favorite. The aged version while better than fresh just doesen't hit the mark with me, and don't get me started on a fresh bottle of this stuff, have you ever tried to drink a fresh high ABV offering from avery?, it's almost impossible for me. Either way this is a good RIS and should be tried at least once.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bomber sized bottle. Wrapper said it was bottled in 2003, which makes me believe this will be pretty good..

A: Pitch black, light brown head that left minimal lacing on the glass.

S: I picked up raisons, dark chocolate and a hint of caramel. This beer smelled extremely sweet and malty.

T: Taste was a little more complex than the nose. I tasted raisons, molasses, dark chocolate, and a warming alcohol taste at the end. There was also a hint of oak as the beer warmed.

M: Very smooth, medium bodied. The alcohol flavor stays in the mouth for a few seconds post-swallow.

D: This beer has great drinkability. My only complaint is that the bitterness has faded. After 6 years in a bottle this makes sense, but it is what it is and I would have liked some bitterness in this beer.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

poured a very nice rich brownish color with about one inch of thick head. nice aroma smells of rich sweet roasted malt. the taste was too sweet for me. not a bad flavor but one that i would like to finish a bit less sugary. left nice lacing down the glass. a good beer but not my favorite russian stout.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

22 oz bomber I picked up from Greens in ATL, Ga. Part of the Avery liquidation sale for $3 a bottle. An amazing deal if you ask me. This says it was bottle in 2008. Served up in my Terrapin snifter.

A: Pours a somewhat thin dark brown that creates a rich and black body. Held to the light, this beer is letting zero light through. The pour yielded about half a finger of head that diminished quickly own to a somewhat sizeable ring that is thin and bubbly. As you sip, it seems like the lace is going to cover the glass easily, but it slips off the glass easily creating no lasting lace on the glass. Its a decent looking RIS but its just a bit above average if you ask me.

S: Getting some nice bitter roasted malt coming through. There seems to be a lot of dark fruit in here with maybe some dark cherries and some prunes. Touch of brown sugar and chocolate is peeking its way through. Then you can find some licorice in here as well. Everything is rounded out by a sizeable amount of booze. I mean the alcohol really comes out and easily overpowers the other scents in here.

T: Taste is better and somewhat different from the nose. I am still getting that nice roasted malt with just a bit of bitter chocolate and sweet brown sugar. Licorice adds a little sumptin sumptin to it. The booze is far more subdued in the flavor and doesn't dominate at all. Instead, behind all this roasty malt goodness you find some hops. And I mean some . . . citrus hops. Lots of lemon and some orange are actually coming out are far more pronounced than I was expecting. The citrus is a bit candied thanks to the sugar and chocolate, but it works very well in my opinion.

M: Medium in body which is a bit more watery than I would expect from the style. Carbonation is sizeable and has a good amount of bubbly crispness going on here. Getting some nice alcohol burn coming out in the throat and palate. its a nice slow burn that is a super pleasant warming quality for a chilly night. Aftertaste is mostly some nice citrus hops soaked in chocolate.

D: This beer is not bad at all. It goes down pretty easily thanks to the somewhat thinner feel. It doesn't sit as heavy as some RIS's out there and for 12.20% on the ABV it drinks easy as hell. The flavors are different for me but they work incredibly well. Sure, Avery could work on the look, aroma and feel, but thi brw still works well and remains enjoyable. For $3 I am not going to bitch at all. Fine brew.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

2008 bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours a little lighter than I was expecting. Not quite black in the glass and with light showing through a little reddish in the corners. The mead is big and creamy and shows good staying power and solid lacing.

The aroma has plenty of dark roasted malts but there is a pretty strong sweetness that I'm having trouble identifying - maybe licorice, maybe a little citrus hops.

The flavor follows the aroma to a degree and I definitely think there's a quick hop kick up front before the big roasted malts kick in. I'm also getting a little more chocolate, mostly bakers, than in the aroma. The finish is roasty and has a definite alcohol burn that warms the throat on the way down.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied for the style and very smooth. There is decent carbonation though it could be a tad light for me.

Despite not being one of my favorite Avery brews, it's still a decent RIS. A bit too light bodied to be a seriously great RIS, but very drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

My buddy in Denver sent me quite a bit of Avery brews when he first moved to Boulder a couple years ago. I pretty much drank the other stuff but this one was left. Drank from my Darkness snifter while watching the NCAA National Championship game (UNC vs. MSU).

Bottled 2007

Appearance- Pours a dark black with a beautiful one finger light tan head that recedes fairly slowly. A decent cap and thin collar remain leaving zero lacing.
Smell- Super dark and roasted with an almost burnt char on the malts. A bit of light coffee and molasses before a swell of dark, overly ripened fruit hits me. Dates, prunes and currents are fairly potent and mixed with the alcohol are fairly brandy-ish. Milk chocolate really comes through as the beer warms as does a more potent version of caramel that isn't as detectable warm. Light alcohol as well but not too bad considering it's over 11%.
Taste- Very bold and bright with a big bitter hoppy start that is fruity and spicy. Perhaps it's the Hallertau or the alcohol but either way it's fairly spicy. Prunes and browned apples are a part of that dark fruity bitterness. The malt isn't a slouch either though once that initial hop blast passes. Tons of rich dark chocolate and brownie batter cut through adding a bit of rich sweetness. A bit of molasses and smoke finish with little if any of that 11%.
Mouthfeel- I'm 50/50 on this. Half the time I think it's a hair to thin but the other half I think it's nice and silky with a bit of heft. Either way it's a damn nice feel. If it wasn't for that immediate thought of too thin this would be a 5.
Drinkability- I've enjoyed every last drop of this brew. It's only about 2 years old but honestly I can't possibly imagine it getting any better. The hops are still aggressive and a huge part of the beer and the alcohol has faded to nearly nothing. My guess is that this brew was a bit harsh young but is absolutely beautiful now. Tasty treat for sure!

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz bomber poured into a goblet. Bottled in 2008. I had it on tap recently and it was dominated by a very non-RIS-like vinous character, so I wanted to see what it was like in the bottle.

A: Dark brown, not quite black. Almost like a quad. Nice head with good lacing, though.

S: Chocolate and roasted malts.

T: Chocolate, anise, hops, and alcohol. The fruity vinous character shows up after a while.

M: Quite thin, not rich enough for a RIS.

D: A solid enough RIS.

3.14/5  rDev -19.7%

The beer pours a thick dark brown color like a dark coffee. There is a ruby tint to it that is brought out as the light catches it along the edges. It's thick enough that light doesn't pass through easily. A tan head formed but rapidly disappeared into just a small ring around the edge of the glass. There was some lacing, but not much.

The initial scent after pouring had an acrid scent of alcohol. The following scents, if taken mildly, were much more pleasant. There was creaminess to the smell like one gets with a cream liqueur. It opened the way for the gentle smells of caramel and coffee malts. There was also a hint of dark fruit (raisins, dates, prunes etc) to it. No matter what, the scent of alcohol was always present. The first taste was a biting alcohol taste, but subsequent sips revealed a nice caramel malt taste with a chocolate malt follow up. There is a slight molasses finish to it. As the beer warmed, the taste of alcohol became more and more present.

This is a full bodied beer that has a more watery than creamy feel to it. It's thick while in the mouth, but after swallowing, there is no coating.

This is not a beer I would suggest drinking in any great quantity. This would be something that you drink one bottle at a time, probably on a special occasion. This beer also gave me the impression that you have to be in the mood to drink it. I could see where if you were not expecting this beer, one would not like it, where as if you were anticipating it, it would be really good. I don't know if I'd classify this as an excellent beer, but it is pretty good. I'd be interested to buy a bottle and cellar it for a year or so and see how it ages. I may have to pick up an extra bottle and do a re-review in a couple of years.

3.66/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce as part of an "inventory reduction sale" for the incredibly low price of $3. Poured into a Bass pint glass. The listed ABV on the bottle is 10.77% instead of the 12.2% listed here.

A: It appears completely black, but there are a little bit of ruby highlights around the edges. The head was a nice chocolate tan color and probably 2.5 fingers thick at pour. It settles down quite a bit as it sits but never disappears fully. It leaves behind huge clumps of lace. Definitely a nice looking beer.

S: I am not picking up much here outside the dark roasted malt that is the cornerstone of the style. There is a hint of what I think is a dark fruit like aroma. It is so faint I can not quite put my finger on it, but there is a sweet aroma that is not due to the malt.

T: Big dark roasted malt flavor. There was a bit of a raisin flavor which must have been what I was picking up in the aroma. Quite a bit of a boozy kick which is not surprising based on the ABV. I can not really say the taste is anything special or out of the ordinary. It is just a nice tasty stout.

M: Its more of a medium thickness instead of being full bodied. It is nice and creamy from the carbonation, but it is just a bit too thin for the style.

D: Even with the high ABV, due to its thin nature and lack of bitterness it is very drinkable. It is not a sipper like many of its style competitors.

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Pours almost a 2 finger dark tan head that had fades of peach mixed int. Color is a deep deep back and a little brown shows around the edge of the glass. Good head retention with nice lace rings and splatters.

Aroma is a deep dark chocolate. Very malty. Mainly roasted malts. Also some carmel.

Taste is very boozy. Bitter earthy hops. Very malty. Roasted flavor and carmel. The abv is way too much here.

Mouthfeel is bitter at first, but then it gets a lot more smooth. After that, the booze hits hard. The aftertaste is like the aftertaste after taking a shot of vodka.

Overall, this beer was way to much alcohol. I have had high alcohol beers, but they have never been this noticeable. I definitely had a hard time finishing this bomber. Not my favorite RIS.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Dark brown (near black) and transparent on the edges of the glass. Not much head.

Smell primarily roasted malt and caramel.

Lots of flavors here, initially roasted malt, then bitter hops kick in with dark chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, and grass. A fairly sweet RIS, with a bitter finish. Flavorful, but out of balance for me, too much buttery grassy hop bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

The flavor mix on this didn't excite me much. I found it to be overly sweet and bitter for my tastes. Improved a bit as it warmed, but the grassy buttery hop flavors did not compliment the dark roasted flavors. Perhaps I drank it too young, some age might smooth out some of the hop character.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

A: Deep garnet color borders on black. Rocky cream head has very nice retention and leaves intermittent patches of chunky lace. It's a nice overall look.

S: Rather sweet up front. A big dose of chocolate and dark fruits, plus a shot of espresso are joined by a pleasant pine forest scent.

T: Hops dominate, but not in an overly bitter fashion. The pine flavored bitterness I've come to expect from many Avery beers is front and center. Underneath them lies a complex layer of chocolate, raisins, prunes and coffee that I wish came through stronger. Finishes with a nice alcohol warmth and a lingering pine bitterness.

M: Medium-heavy body doesn't feel as thick as the beer's high ABV made me think it would. Carbonation level starts out a bit high, but calms nicely after the beer breathes for a bit.

D: Definitely a candidate for the cellar. I think a year or more to calm down the hops would do this beer wonders. Even at this young age; however, I found this beer quite good.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

2004 Vintage, drank at last nights Imp Stout tasting with Yetiman420.

Dark divine brown to black when poured. Light tan head with big perky tits, and bubbles. Call me nuts, but I almost get a nail polish remover quality too because of the alcohol presence.

Smells of vanilla. Barrel aging at play? Very sweet, roasted malts. BIG nose with some alcohol in the mix.

Light to medium bodied with big vanilla flavor and oak. Sweet, heat and alcohol. Sweet malts, prunes and brown sugar. Very sweet and hot.

This can use some time to mellow a bit, can't believe it's almost 5 years old!

3.62/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one has been in my fridge for a couple months now. I don't recall how much I paid for it or exactly where I got it, but if I had to guess, it was probably in the $4-5 for a bomber from BevMo in San Jose, CA. It indicates on the label it was bottled in 2008 and they recommend cellaring. 1.103 Original Gravity, 70 IBUs, Alcohol 10.77% by Vol (unlike the 12.20% as indicated on this site). So I pour into a large snifter. Sentences in quotations are copied directly from the bottle. My own notes are not in quotations.

"Crimson hues through the inky blackness." Pours moderately thick, leaving a semi-frothy, light tan head of one inch. Head dissipates somewhat quickly. Some lacing. Black in color. Minimal carbonation.

"Hallertau hops, spicy and floral. English toffee, rich mocha, sweet molasses, candied currants and a hint of anise." The nose is quite big on this one. The alcohol is quite warm and only moderately hidden in this complex, yet earthy nose. Red licorice blends well with the sweet and lightly roasted malts. Perhaps some dark cherry and fig in the mix as well.

The above mentioned flavors kind of get lost and/or blended together more in the taste. Alcohol is better hidden and the sweet malts take more of the forefront. Smells better than it tastes.

Medium to full bodied. There is more carbonation present than I originally anticipated. The mouthfeel is somewhat lively, yet it finishes relatively smooth and clean, leaving a sweet malty lasting aftertaste. Not as creamy as I would hope/expect from a beer of this size.

A good offering and worth trying, but I don't think it would make it into my top 10 stouts.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured a lighter head than I thought it would be into a snifter. It's pretty dark, but not as dark as say Old Rasputin, and it looks very thick.

The Czar smells very standard for Imperial Stouts, with some coffee, chocolate and roasted elements in there.

I really like the mouthfeel of this beer, and upon first sip it's not as brutal as it looks. It actually doesn't taste too much like an Imperial Stout, and is way easier to drink, at least for me. I wasn't blown away by the alcohol content, and I got more roasted barley in there than some others that I've read on here.

This is a good drinking beer, I could do the whole bottle without a problem. Overall a very good RIS and one that I would probably like to age more than six months, which is what I did. That's what I'll do with the next bottle.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

1 ½ finger of beige head that faded fairly quickly. Dark brown in color with lots of ruby/mahogany hues. Some spotty lacing..

Aroma is really rather light. I really smell only chocolate milk

Dark Chocolate, black licorice, some real sweetness.. molasses? Not quite maple. A contradiction but the roasted malt tones are really smooth. Cinnamon, black pepper. Really quite interesting. Slight warming effect from the alcohol, but the high ABV is still well hidden. The more it warmed, the more fruit notes I get.

Mouth feel is slick and almost creamy. Slight carbonation.

Really rather drinkable. I'd love to try this on nitro....

3.46/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber (marked 10.77 ABV) into a goblet.

Appearance: Dark brown, with a finger-and-a-half of tan head. Not nearly as dark as other Imperial Stouts i've seen. The head subsided fairly quickly but left a ton of lacing.

Smell: Cinnamon, bready notes, hints of dark chocolate, and wisps of the alcohol come through. If I was smelling this blind there is no way I would have thought this was an Imperial Stout.

Taste: Incredibly smooth. Very bready and chocolatey, hints of toffee, with the alcohol coming through in a warming aftertaste. It warms your throat and stomach on the way down. This just doesn't taste like an Imperial Stout, however - I'm getting almost none of the roasted flavors typically associated with the style (maybe a faint hint in the aftertaste). Has a nice kick from both the carbonation and some spice. Caramel comes through as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, almost chewy - a bit too highly carbonated, which makes it somewhat harsh. Pretty good though.

Drinkability: It wasn't a bad beer, but doesn't really taste like an Imperial Stout - although I'm not really sure what I'd consider it. It's very light on the roasted notes, and much heavier on the sweetness/breadiness. However, this brew ABSOLUTELY needs to be enjoyed warmer...it is very complex, and most of the flavors are hidden while it's cold. If I want an Imperial Stout, I won't look for this one...but if it was offered to me again, I wouldn't refuse.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours almost black with a tan head that leaves good lacing with every drink.

Smell is of chocolate and a slight booze.

Taste is chocolaty and some coffee. On the back end of the drink there is small warming effect from the alcohol. Butterscotch is the final taste as the beer goes down. Great heavy mouthfeel and a hell of a drinker for 12.2%.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a great looking bottle, very good looking and motor oil thick. Actually makes motor oil seem splashy. One almost has to labor to get through a pint. If you like thick beers, this will be a divine labor of love; if you do not, expect that you will not finish. It is smooth. A very tough stout with a powerful aroma rounding out the smell. It is an absolute freight train of a beer.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Bomber poured into a stemless wine glass.

A-Light black beer (well, I guess this may be dark brown, but it looked blacker than brown). When held to light, it actually eppears clearish. Topped with a fluffy light-brown head with strong retention. Even after sitting for awhile, a nice layer of bubbles remained.

S-Spicy hops, some bright fruit character mixed with a relatively harsh alcohol, alongside dried fruits. A slight chocolate nuance emerges later.

T-Heavy roasted malts and mocha with a distinct spiciness. This is easily the spiciest RIS I've had the please to encounter. Quite interesting, how the spice plays off the alcohol. Dark fruits (plum) and molassas mixed with a too-harsh alcohol. Finishes with bitter chocolate, semi-sweet and roasty malt.

M-Low carbonation, powdery and fluffy feeling. the body is certainly full, with an almost chalky character at times.

D-This is a good beer. Tasty, deep, complex, but a bit too rough around the edges, in my opinion. I'd love to throw this one in the basement for a couple years and see what would result.

Bottled in 2008.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours pitch black with slight burgundy edges and a thick coffee-colored foamy head. Dark roasted malty aroma with hints of toffee, coffee, dark fruit, floral hops and subtle spice. Excellent balance of roasted maltiness, bitter hops and alcohol. Chocolate, roasted coffee, spicy floral hops, raisin, plum, oatmel, alcohol and anise.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

A: dark brown with red highlights, light tan head

S: surprisingly fruity, coffee, chocolate, a bit of alcohol and some hops

T: the fruit is more obvious...raisins and dates...more of the same as the smell, but it's not quite what I look for in an RIS...a little too sweet

M: medium carbonation but still smooth

D: considering how sweet it came off...it was relatively easy to drink...and for the ABV it went down pretty easily

The Czar from Avery Brewing Company