Uncle Jacob's Stout | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Jacob Spears, our 6th Great Grand Uncle, is credited as the first distiller to label his whiskey “Bourbon.” He built his distillery in Bourbon County Kentucky in 1790 — 203 years before we began brewing. While obviously a bit too late to produce Uncle Jacob’s wash, we’ve instead created something far more complex. In his honor, we present this robust, silky smooth, full-bodied and altogether extremely American rendition of an Imperial Stout aged for 6 months in the very finest Bourbon barrels. This explains a lot about our penchant for big brews! It’s in our blood!

#335

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 479 | Ratings: 2,939
Reviews by StonedTrippin:
4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

are you kidding me? a beer could not be any bigger! new one from avery. pours espresso colored with a short espresso colored head that fades right out. looks like the consistency of black tar. smells less like coffee, but its still present, ground fresh and strong. like a woody liquor, oak for sure in the nose, with robust booze, tobacco, and black licorice notes, even a whack of fresh coconut, runny warm caramel, and sludgy espresso. the alcoholic burn in the nose more or less gives away the huge abv. the flavor though is less straight booze. very sweet, i taste the bourbon now, a very alive concoction. other flavors introduce themselves one by one... first is toffee sweetness, melting into a marshmallowy alcoholic thing, which is followed by a cigar-like fresh tobacco stickiness. feel is epic too, straight woody spirits leave a deep burn. the almost nonexistant carbonation and syrupy heavy body make it last on the teeth, almost unpleasantly in a raw sugary way. so so smooth though it demands high ratings. foaming in the mouth and ever larger, meliora! overall a pretty absurd beer from the most inconsistent brewery in the country. its one of the most massive beers of all time as far as im concerned. thanks beer gods for this masterpiece!

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Vintage Feb 4, 2014- I was not impressed with him fresh. Had 4 bottles and only drank one. The cellar holds an interesting array of developing brews, so these 3 were placed in a temperature appropriate setting (50f). Uncle took a one year nap.

I decided to awaken him, so rather than tickle under the chin: I popped the cap and poured a black, sweet smelling syrup into a snifter. The uncle said "[email protected] to Kentucky and any county that might produce bourbon. Colorado sh!ts better beer than you can make. " He presents himself sweeter and more bitter than the county locals.

So what if he is unbalanced? A little crazy is better than dull. His sugar is high, but damn if he will ever use insulin like a weakling... He will die sweet and bitter

He feels ready to stretch his legs after a year rest, so breaks into a bourbon fueled jog. Impossible to sprint with him, it's slow going. Sip after sip at his flask, he wearily reaches the county line.

He comes in a solid second, with the county local loping gracefully past him: honking like a goose and reminding Uncle of his huge cost. A year rest surely helped Uncle a great deal, another year for his 2 brothers dozing in the cellar before they try to do battle on the county. They may try to race on Black Tuesday, but lack the legs and lungs. Rather than compete, they mare retire to the realm of liqueur and leave beer world forever.

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

ARE YOU TOUGH? YES?! THEN DRINK THIS BEER.

The booze is REAL. Feel the heat. Love the heat. Now pick up the phone and make unfortunate decisions that this beer inspires! Do it!

Pours black as your soul. Smells of barrel and booze. Tastes like chocolate, vanilla, barrel, and booze. Tons of booze. And I love it.

I split this beer with my lady. When she isn't looking I'm going to take back the other half and smash it. Then pass out. Night night.

3.2/5  rDev -27.6%

Black. No question. Shiny. Shimmering. One finger tan head that leaves a ring.

Aroma of dark molasses, cooked dark currants and plums. Lots of char.
The taste is roasted, almost burnt malts. Espresso. Molasses. Dark currants. Plums. Again with the barrel. A huge hit from the alcohol. Almost raw. Then the soy sauce.
Heavy body. Sluggish.

A lot goes into this beer. There is a lot of aroma and flavor. Big deal. It's still a mess. More flavors don't mean it's a better beer.

So this is it. My 1000th beer on Beer Advocate. Not my 1000th beer in life but on this website for sure. Pretty amazing to have come this far in the world of beer. A quick rundown of important events that led me here:

I was young once (underage) and I drank 40s and Busch Light to get drunk. I turned 21 and got a job at a liquor store (Spec's). I befriended the head of the beer department, he taught me everything he knew about beer, he moved away, I became head of the beer department. I became friends with one of our beer sales reps and he gave me my first "alternative" beer. It was the Belgian beer Delirium Nocturnum. I was hooked! I became a Craft and Belgian beer salesman after that. A buddy gave me a homebrew kit for my 23rd birthday. I dabbled with brewing until it wrapped its loving arms around me and I got hooked. I've been brewing at least twice a month for some 6 years now. I volunteer at Thirsty Planet Brewing and me and my gal Amanda (my Corndog) are moving to Portland in 4 weeks so that I can pursue my passion for brewing professionally and hopefully one day start my own brewery.

Now for the review:

Pours black as ever, no light shines thru, a little bit of dark brown bubbles hanging out on top. The nose is milk chocolate, vanilla, bourbon in the background, caramel, just intense. Chocolate is the biggest player in the aroma. The taste....big sticky chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate chip cookie, brown sugar with an accent of salt, very rich. Getting a little bit of alcohol burn in the finish but I'm surprised its masked so well. Its like 17%!!! Big ass body. Redonkulous.

Glad I could make this my 1000th beer on this great site. I have been a fan of Avery since I knew what craft beer was and they never disappoint. Cheers everyone and happy brewing/drinking!!!

4.96/5  rDev +12.2%

L-Black poor. Very small head but a bit of carbonation.

S-Maple, vanilla, cocoa nibs and magic. Yes, magic

T-Superb. I've never had a beer so high in abv taste so delicious and how did they hide the alcohol?! You really have to look for it while you're drinking. I'm blown away by this.

F-Silky smooth on the pallette and goes down quick.

O-This beer is DANGEROUS. I can't believe how balanced it is. It must be pure witchcraft. I'll buy as many as I can next time it's out. A little pricey at $15 a 12oz bottle but it's worth it in the end. I've one more bottle and will forget about it for awhile.

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This one has been sitting around for a bit...

Jet black with a minimal sheen and a firm froth.

Aroma is strong with molasses, caramel and burnt wood. Dark fruits such as plum and cherry figure in to a lesser extent. There's also a faint earthiness.

Dark, almost raw chocolate and big booze give quick notice this one is not fucking around in the taste department. More dark fruits are joined by notes of molasses, grain and gum. Flirts with excessive sweetness at times, but is reeled in by the booze and some earthiness.

Medium to heavy in body and quite warming for sure.

Damn big and damn good despite a few a slight imbalances.

4.54/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a snifter glass. Served around 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Look - I hate this category. It looks like a stout should look, black with a small tan head.

Smell - Smells like molasses, chocolate and a hint of bourbon. I dock it some points because the sweetness of the smell made me worry about what the taste would be like.

Taste - I shouldn't have worried because this is awesome. Starts with a mix of chocolate and molasses. One of the few stouts that you can taste a little malt in. No bitterness to speak of except for a slight burn as the last taste in your mouth (before you quickly take another sip). the bourbon is mild compared to many BA offerings I have tried but it blends with the flavors magnificently and cuts through the sweetness just enough. Outstanding.

Feel - Creamy with a slight carbonation. 9/10 on the thickness scale. But easy to down quickly, although not ideal.

Overall - Excellent beer. Nobody does a huge Stout better than Avery and this proves it yet again.

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

June 2013 bottle poured into a snifter.

Dark viscous liquid pours from the bottle and swirls into the snifter. The head on this is tremendous, only a finger and a half thick, but frothy and thick as a milk shake. It hardly dissipates with time, sitting triumphantly above the liquid. The dark khaki color resembles the foam of a cappuccino. 5

Jaysus. I fill immersed in a barrel of booze just smelling this. Oak, vanilla, spice and a dank tobacco aroma will punch you in your little sissy face with this. Caramel and chocolate play a distant second fiddle here. I can't help but me reminded of a chocolate shake with the aroma too, the more I search beyond the barrel properties. 4.25

I didn't expect anything less than an oaken, tobacco-heavy flavor and this brew pulls no punches. Bourbon flavors of spice and subtle solvent/booze offer some kick to the flavor. I wasn't expecting any coffee, as I don't recall that being a component of this beer and it didn't assert itself on the nose, but there's a definite dark roast coffee flavor that works well with the caramel and vanilla. Spicy hops hit at the finish. 4.25

Thick, creamy and low-carbonated, I'd classify this as syrupy for the most part. Thankfully the spice and slight booze keep it from being a cloying mess. The finish is roasty, sweet, and liqueur-like. 4.25

Quite a tasty beast. Like Tweak, this bears many similarities with Bourbon County and it's coffee variant, but again, it's the pricier version.

Awesome beer rivals Bourbon County Stout!

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - Motor oil black with minimal head and tiny bubbles that dissipates quick.

S - Cherries, bourbon, sugar, prunes; strong and very sour.

T - Sweet malt, bourbon, and boozy. Slightly sour with a very mild bitter aftertaste.

F - Thick and syrupy; mouth-coating with moderate alcohol burn.

O - Powerful taste and smell; very thick, and definitely needs to be drunk slow.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz bottle into a Captain Lawrence tulip and a snifter since I didn't want to wait for the enormous head to go down in the main glass. Takes over an hour to drink a beer like this anyway.

Appearance: Pours not quite black with a huge frothy dark tan head that refuses to dissipate. As much lacing as huge alcohol legs. Great.

Smell: Just beautiful. Full, boozy, roasted malt and dark fruit. The kind of badass imperial stout the best American breweries used to make, turned up several notches and barrel aged. The oak notes don't so much stand out as highlight all the other huge malt bomb notes. Caramel, raisin, red grapes, rum cake, almond croissants (with marzipan, no bullshit plain croissants with almond shavings on them), telltale (good) oxidation notes like in 10 year old J.W. Lees... I could go on. Not pristinely any of these things, but strongly suggesting all of them and more. This is what big BBA beers aspire to.

Taste: Just like the nose, with big extra notes of molasses and hot booze. Starts oaky with thick pastry flavors, then gets quickly balanced by a boozy flood of savory molasses, brown sugar, raisin, balancingly-bitter roasted malt, elegant vinous feel and flavors enveloped by caramel and coffeecake. The whole affair is sort of propelled along by this coffee ice cream/caramel flavor... it's either the main reiterated and reinterpreted theme of the symphony, or maybe it's the insistent beat or constant rhythm section that mainly characterizes the piece.

Regardless of metaphors, it's delicious. Endlessly complex but never offputting, never out of balance. This is a truly great, world class stout. It's a gift to the beer drinking world that Avery keeps making this beer.

Mouthfeel: Full side of medium bodied. Hot but not 17% ABV hot. Creamy but not particularly noteworthy.

Overall: If we anatomize this into categories: world class look, world class but not top 10 aroma, world class and truly competitive for top 10 flavor, very good but not world class mouthfeel. If we just ask "How good was this beer?" the answer is: really fucking good. If we get to be subjective, I'd say it's my kind of beer. I didn't have its first incarnation, but that they're putting out a beer like this annually makes me like Avery (who I already like quite a bit) all the more.

This has been a rather annoyingly effusive and florid review, but what can I say? You don't get to drink a beer this good every day. Nowadays, there's no shortage of $10 12oz bottles containing adventurous beers with or without exotic ingredients aged in good spirit barrels... but beers like Uncle Jacob's are still something special. After Samael's et al I had high expectations anyway, and honestly they were exceeded. My only complaint is that the god damn thing is too easy to drink and it makes me drink it too fast.

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Pour is black. As dark as any beer I've had. One finger of soapy khaki head recedes to a thin collar with light patches of oily lace. Poured it fresh from the fridge so the aroma is a bit muted at first. As it warms, there are notes of dark fudge and vanilla accented by tobacco, leather, and plenty of bourbon.

The taste is dark semisweet chocolate, molasses, burnt caramel, and again, plenty of bourbon. Body is thick and chewy with enough creaminess to maintain a silky feel and coat the palate well. Would I call it smooth? No. But that's ok with me. I enjoy the occasional huge fire breathing beast. However, I feel like the flavors suffered from the intense alcohol heat. It masks some of the chocolatey goodness that seems to be lurking beneath the surface.

Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Although I believe I'd enjoy just about anything with this rocket fuel coursing through my veins. It's an intense stong sipper, and it excels in that regard. I felt like it didn't quite live up to its potential, but I won't pass it up if I see it again.

4.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

01/22/2017

12 oz Bottle (02/19/16) to snifter.

LOOK: dark black, small tan head.
AROMA: bourbon, brown sugar, blackberry, cocoa.
TASTE: like most barrel aged Avery, this is alcohol forward. After you get past the burn there is coffee, dark fruit, cocoa. Finish us more rum, brandy, and of course bourbon.
FEEL: Medium body, good carbonation for a heavy stout. A Touch of astringency.

Really nice barrel aged stout. On par with Tweak. Could benefit from being smoother. Feels too hot, like a cheap young whiskey, even though bottle is almost a year old.

06/01/18

I guess I was right. 27 month aged bottle (02/19/16) to wine glass (@BYOB). Super smooth and tasty. Now I know to wait longer than a year on these.

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

A: pitch black with a beautiful tan head.

S: bourbon, molasses, oak, vanilla and caramel.

T: huge! Bourbon and vanilla dominate with a nice backup of molasses, toffee, caramel, oak and chocolate.

M: big bodied and well carbonated.

O: this is one fantastic BA stout. Probably my favorite BA stout to date. Wish it wasn't so expensive and more readily available. Would love a bottle to age. Absolutely wonderful experience.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Been holding this in my cellar for about 9 months. Poured into my trusty Stone tulip glass.

Dark as night.
Strong smell of bourbon, dark fruits and a bit of coffee. Very much like BCBS.
Taste follows smell. Warming comes with that 17%! Lovely mixture of bourbon, dark fruits and coffee.
Sticky and coating mouthfeel.

This is best described as a cross between BCBS and World Wide Stout. A real slow-sipper for a cold night at home. Great stuff!

4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

EDIT: I decided to pick up a bottle after my initial tasting and can say that its really excellent and that was a bad keg for sure. Lots of Bourbon and plenty of nice boozy heat on it. My only knock is that the body is a bit thin for my taste, but otherwise its really excellent.

2016 on draft. Looks good, but the smell was lacking and the taste/ fell terribly flat.

There's minimal hints of the bourbon and almost no feel to this. I love Avery and have enjoyed other offerings including past batches so much that I wonder if this was a bad keg or possibly even something else.

4.81/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Incredible beer. Pitch black with a khaki lace-leaving head. Smell is out of this world. Chocolate, bourbon, dark fruits. Taste lives up to the hype of the smell. Perfect mouthfeel. One of the better beers I have ever had.

3.66/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black with some reddish tints. Very thin head. Aroma-boozy, some fruity notes, cherry, fig. Taste- boozy. Sweet beer. Some raspberry and dark chocolate. Mouthfeel, medium bodied. Overall, decent barrel aged stout. Pretty bitter.

4.73/5  rDev +7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look - black as a moonless night
Smell - heavy alcohol, bourbon, vanilla, roasted aromas.
Taste - This is one VERY big beer - sip too early after opening and the alcohol is overwhelming. Given a moment to breathe it hits great roasted notes that are well rounded by the caramel and vanilla flavors from the barrel. A hint of toasted almond flavor makes this a truly exceptional brew.
Mouthfeel - luscious but not too thick - flows almost too easily and coats the tongue without being cloying.
Overall - patience will be a virtue with this beer. Drinks very well now (as long as it's given ample time to breathe) but given a year or more develops into something truly spectacular. Probably my favorite bourbon barrel aged stout.

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Batch No.6 bottled 2/24/17. 14.9% abv. Older versions had a higher abv and feel like now they might have hit a sweet spot. Nose of brown sugar, leather, tobacco, dark chocolate. Tongue is more of the same with a pronounced sweet chocolate resinous brown sugar. Absolutely one of my favorite BA stouts now at the 15% mark. More like beer and less like liquor than previous releases.

4.52/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed the 2014 vintage of this beer tonight with friends! Very nice deep rich BA stout! Almost a little too boozy still...should have sat another year but still solid!

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought a case from Shangy's in Emmaus Pennsylvania for $240 on March 10, 2015. Gave a bottle to Blane from Shangy's for spending two hours helping me. Finally tried it on March 22, 2015. Outstanding, but the high gravity, along with being just brewed, means it needs time to mellow out. One can tell that this beer will be to die for in a few years of aging.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Incredible thickness, richness, and strength exudes from Avery's newest Barrel Aged collection. And though over 17% abv., the beer hides its alcohol deceptively well.

The beer pours with a highly viscous and creamy weight. Jet black in color and completely opaque, the beer is heavy headed with a dense mocha froth that piles on top. Extreme persistence in its foam stance, the beer laces remarkably, especially for its high alcohol and barrel character.

Powerful seduction of aromas radiate from the rim of the snifter with a collage make up with rich Belgian chocolate, espresso, light smoke, cake batter, sherry wine, bourbon alcohol, and a dash of worcestershire sauce. The complex scent is highly appetizing and ooh so savory.

Flavors follow with even more strength and complexity than those of the nose. A lust creamy taste of brownies, espresso and black-strap molasses command its robust taste. But then other savory notes of sherry, port, mesquite, and light soy sauce offer a sultry, savory, almost meaty taste that you can really sink your teeth into.

The beer coats the mouth like heavy whipping cream because of its proportions and viscosity. But with the bolder, roastier taste, the stout remains lush, velvety and silky in body. The beer's taste and texture linger infinitely on the palate with strong alcohol warmth and evading any unnecessary burn. Finishing malty-sweet, the palate is rewarded as well as with the most savory of desserts.

This stout weaves together its web of tastes seamlessly and provocatively. Its truly seductive to the taste buds and easily makes you forget about its power- an absolutely devilish stout!

4.05/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 3 years ago (Batch 5)

L -- Pours obsidian black in the glass with a surprisingly robust light brown head for the ABV. Ring of retention around the edge of the glass and some alcohol legs lacing
S -- Bourbon, oak, booze, fig, prune, maple, bittersweet chocolate, sherry, cognac, dark roast coffee, char. Booze is very perceivable
T -- Hot boozy bourbon, cognac, bittersweet chocolate, slight umami, deep oakiness, espresso
F -- Phew! There's no denying this is 17.1% ABV. Huge, oily mouthfeel, minimal silky carb
O -- These high ABV Avery stouts are a bit heavy handed for my tastes. At this ABV the booze is really hot and present, masking some of the other aromas and flavors going on here. Decent novelty brew, though

81/100