Uncle Jacob's Stout | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

In the quest to create a collection of barrel-aged beers to be reproduced annually, Avery Brewing Company is releasing Uncle Jacob’s Stout, the second member of its Annual Barrel Series. The collection began with Rumpkin rum barrel-aged pumpkin ale in the fall of 2011, and now continues with this 17.4% ABV stout that was aged in first-use Bourbon barrels for 6 months. While the Avery Barrel-Aged Series features one-time-only batches, such as the recent Muscat d’Amour and Récolte Sauvage, the Annual Barrel Series features a selection of cellarable barrel-aged beers that fans can return to and get to know every year.

Added by emmasdad on 04-08-2012

Reviews: 385 | Ratings: 2,548
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Had this stout at the bar at Avery's brewery. Also had the pleasure to meet the sales manger, and a couple of the brewers that were working there, that were also from NH & VT just like me. This is a great beer and it tasted even better being right there when it is made and where it is made. The sales manger was really a great guy and gave a mixed beer and juice drink he was having plus a special bottle of Kaiser to take home. The Avery stop was part of a four day, 16 brewery tour that my brother and a couple of other buddies did to Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins. Great trip....

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a red wine glass at cellar temperature. February 2014 bottling.
A - Pours an inky black color with a single finger of chocolate brown head. The head quickly dissipates leaving a faint lacing.
S - Bourbon, hops, chocolate and toasted coconut.
T - Sweet chocolate up front, tangy bourbon in the middle and a faint tang of booze on the finish with a very well balanced taste that hides well the almost 15% alcohol.
M - A very pleasant rich, thick mouthfeel with a slightly oily quality.
O - Overall one of the best stouts I have ever tasted. Highly recommended, especially if you like them a tad on the sweet side.

2015 Review of 2014 Vintage:
A, S - Similar to last year.
T - Smoother than last year with more prevalent hops and less prevalent alcohol/bourbon.
M - Same
O - I liked it a little better as produced that at 1 year. I have several others to try out in the coming years. 4.25 currently.
2015 Vintage, Batch 4, 16.9% abv:
A - Poured into a Lost Abbey snifter at cellar temperature. Pours a slightly murky dark black color. The 2 fingers of mocha colored head. The head lingers for a while and leaves a long lasting tan lacing. 4.25
S - Smells quite roasted with coffee and chocolate tones. The bourbon and booze are strangely hard to smell over the coffee. Mixed in is some molasses sweetness. 4.5
T - Booze up front with the strong hop flavor I associate with Avery. There is also quite a bit of malt but the hops win out. 4.0
M - The mouthfeel is quite thick and rich and leaves a good coating on the tongue. 4.5
O - Compared to batch 3, this one is less balanced and harsher. I will cellar the rest and see how they are in year or two. 4.25

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a 12 oz bottle with a bottling date of 2/2014. Look is a deep brown/black, with an oily appearance and a small khaki head. The smell is sweet with a strong molasses and chocolate scent. Taste was very sweet up front with strong flavor of milk chocolate and maple syrup. You catch a bit of alcohol heat on the finish, but it is welcome to balance the sweetness. This is a sticky beer, leaving a sweet coating on the lips that lingers long after the last sip. Overall I enjoyed this beer, although it was a bit sweeter than I normally prefer.

4.46/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First Beer Review!
So here we go

A: Poured into a DFH 120 snifter. Pours so black that the sun can’t pass light through it. It yields a darker tan 1/2 finger head that dissipates almost immediately with little to no lacing on the glass.

S: As soon as you crack the bottle you can smell the immediate coffee and chocolate up front. Strong nose of bourbon after it sits for a minute.

T: Intense bourbon up front with lots of coffee on the back of the tongue. Alcohol hits hard, then backs off. It leaves quite a burn in the back of the throat but this was expected after seeing the 16.53% ABV on the bottle. There is a little chocolate and vanilla as this beer warms.

M: Lots of carbonation up front. Still has a good syrupy mouthfeel, very chewy.

O: I know people will compare this BBS to BCBS, and they have the right to do so. They are beers brewed in the same style with their own profiles. This one is an excellent representation of a bold BBS. Good flavor, a bit much on the alcohol, and a pretty solid mouthfeel. Overall, Well done Avery.

4.52/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: black with deep tan head that rises from depths, covers the surface, then collects at sides, leaving decent lacing. Swirls of carbonation stay on the surface throughout the pour.

S: alcohol essence over roasted chocolate smell, with the barrel woodiness also coming through. The smell has a more tart, fruity nature than if expect.

T/M: starts a little sweet (like BCBS) and a little chocolatey, but transforms into a dark-cherry/chocolate taste, with a bit of tartness that would come with a cherry taste. As the beer warms, this taste difference isn't quite as strong, and does portray a more classic bourbon barrel taste. A slightly resinous bitterness comes in when the beer is cooler, but is more subdued as it warms.

O: a very strong offering. My first few tastes I was thinking it might top my favorite BBS, but it doesn't quite reach that level. It's cost might prohibit me from buying it again, however.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into snifter.

Pitch black with low carbonation. Light lacing. Smell was sweet bourbon, oak and chocolate.

Taste was alot of bourbon up front, with the oak and chocolate in the middle followed by some heat. The heat is fair considering the amount of alcohol that this carries. Later on as it warmed up you could pull out the vanilla and chocolate a bit more.

Alot of people would compare this to BCBS but I beg to differ, this is a solid aged stout but the flavors are not nearly as bold.

Fantastic stout however the price is a bit unattractive considering it costs almost the amount of a 4pack of BCBS.

I will sit on my remaining bottles to see how this develops.

appearance: Deep dark brown. A little reddish gown hints around the edges when held to light. Impressive mocha head especially for a monster of a stout.
smell: A decadent bourbon, dark chocolate, malt, and dart fruit dessert.
taste: and all of the promise of the nose is delivered.
overall: This ain't nuthin but good. Rich, bad-ass, transcendent. Holy shit. Fwiw, alcohol is there but amazingly well masked for such a beast.
I realize there are some that argue all 5's are impossible. This beer for me could not get any better. Nothing should be added or taken away imo and so I have to got with perfect.

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is from notes at the Extreme Beer Fest in Boston, 3/22/14. I know what you're thinking - how can this be accurate? Well I'll tell you. This is the 2nd beer I had and I started with a washed out glass.

It was bottle poured by one of the lovely ladies employed by Avery. Pours thick and viscous, like motor oil. No real head apparent.

Smells like mahogany, soy, actual motor oil.

Taste is... well its a world class beer. 16% ABV is not obvious, not boozy at all. There is a lot going on here, chocolates, coffees, toffee/caramel/soy. This is one of three beers I had that day that actually had me close my eyes. I went back for another pour, I think that's a faux pas, but I don't care.

In the mouth is very round, well balanced, and thick as molasses. Perfect.

Overall this is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Try this if you have the opportunity and you're a fan of the style.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

(2013 vintage)

The beer comes in a black color with a coffee brown head.

The aroma immediately hits of bourbon soaked cherries, plums, dark figs. It also has strong notes of 2014 Bourbon County with lots of molasses, dark dark chocolate, and vanilla and bourbon on the back.

On the flavor, again follows of 2014 Bourbon County. A burnt caramel and brown sugar note up front , along with a burst sweetness with dark fruit of sweet cherries, figs, berries. Then onto a theme of bourbon heat, vanilla, a touch of coconut. Then onto a roasty bitterness along with espresso.

The balance of heat, sweetness, and roasted along with the heavy barrel character is incredible. A bit thinner and hotter than Bourbon County, but stands up there with complexity.

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle of Batch 1, bottled March 27, 2012. Given to me as a gift from my little brother. Poured into a Surly Darkness goblet today, March 19, 2014. So approximately two years of age. I've had small pours of the fresh versions a few months ago, and will be taking that into consideration.

App- Pitch black, oily, viscous and with a LOT of legs. Even with a vertical pour, it comes with a minimal half finger mocha head with minimal retention. No lacing. A very placid stout, but again, one with a lot of legs.

Smell- Very sweet. Chocolate fudge, oak, sweet bourbon, brown sugar, molasses, caramel. Similar to Bourbon County Stout.

Flavour- Reminds me a lot of the 2009 Bourbon County Brand Stout I had just two weeks ago. Very sweet still, perhaps sweeter than BCBS. Thick chocolate fudge, sweet bourbon, a lot of barrel vanilla and oak. Molasses. The intense fudginess that makes this a sipper. No indication of oxidation or off flavours at all, which is surprising in a 2-year old cellared stout.

Mouthfeel- Thick bodied, on the verge of syrupy. Just enough carbonation. Drinks even thicker than BCBS. Heat is not apparent when cold, but as the beer warms up, there is a burning hot finish as it goes down, as expected for a high gravity stout like this.

Overall- Very good BA stout that's very welcome on a March day where winter just won't go away.. and well, I'm hoping that I am able to move to Colorado in a few months, so it's one of Colorado's finest for tonight! It's up there in the BCBS territory in terms of quality, only it costs 3x as much as a single bottle of BCBS and is a lot harder to get in comparison to the distribution BCBS gets. So while I enjoyed this, I wouldn't go out of my way to get this when I can stock up on BCBS. Regardless, my conclusion is that Batch 1 at 2 years is drinking very well right now. Essentially covers the middle ground between BCBS and Black Tuesday in my opinion.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Choco brown bit of a head. The head was close to none even though it was pour appropriately. It smelled fruity and dark choco scent was coming out, well hidden booze. The taste was good. It came a bit sweet but it was good, as I've mentioned earlier, well hidden booze. Chewy on the mouthfeel, that's how i like my stout. Overall, it was a good stout. I'll buy it again because it was flavorfull.

Thanks to jampics2 for this bottle, the last bottle of a distant trade. Bottle dated March 2012. Split with my wife, since it's 4:26 AM or something & I should really be sleeping.

The pours is black, dense, & looks a bit peeved, to be honest. Minimal carbonation. Beer reaches out & grabs my nose hairs, which I need to trim/pull, big, rich, bourbon, vanilla, deep malts. Chocolate, sugar. Yum.

Uncle Jacob's Stout is like a thick spike of alcohol into the forebrain. Or brain stem. I always get them confused. Huge malts meld with a chocolatey sweetness, huge, heavy. Bourbon isn't subtle even at two years, contributes vanilla, drying wood. Plague of bourbon, caramel peeks out as it warms. Finish is pure drunkenass. Nearly as thick as the Three Rivers Farm maple syrup that I love so much, this would go great with waffles. I could drink this until...what was the question?

Not quite as impressive as I recall from our first casual encounter, but a very good beer.

3.4/5  rDev -22%

Re-writing this review as I've finally gotten my hands on a full bottle. Initial review was of 2013 vintage at GABF. Current review is of the 2014 vintage.

A - Pitch black, opaque

S - Sweet, mild bourbon on the nose

T - The sweetness just overwhelms me with this brew, it reminds me of Dark Lord and this is what I can't get over. Quite boozy, but so damn sweet and sugary. This really lowers the score on this beer for me...

M - Solid, thick rich.

Overall, I just cannot get over the sweetness of this brew... it punches me in the face and knocks me out. It's not at all a bad beer, but it's not something I would put in my top 250.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a elongated tulip glass. Bottled Feb 2014, abv listed as 14.83%.

Comes out like pure dark motor oil, black as night, but fills the glass with a lighter black walnut shade. Head needs aggressive pour but gets about a finger of dark mocha coffee brown and even. Hangs for a bit, but manages a good three to four mm pencil ring that never leaves. Light bubbles of faint cocoa brown rise on the side in supper slow motion struggling it looks like to get up.

For such a large beer even after time the nose is very subtle. Mild tobacco and soft oak wood, even a hint of hickory like smoke but it's surprisingly tiny.

Palate hits large but not overpowering. Giant cherry kirsch and thick dark chocolate sweetness. Large red fruits of dark cherry and raspberry just overpowering fruit quality. Warmth brings out some nice licorice notes, which goes nicely with one of the most impressive qualities on this beer. This has to be the thickest tolerable stout I've had to date. Giant oily and massive palate feel without a syrupy feeling and a controlled sweetness. Huge lip coating qualities while drinking.

As big as this is, it's remarkably controlled with impressive qualities. Surprisingly easy drinking with the high abv as well. Pretty darn impressive, wish there was more of a nose on this though.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Avery Uncle Jacob’s Stout - Batch #3 - 14.83% abv

Ah here we are, the first review I ever post on beer advocate. Many more reviews to come, as there are many more beers to drink, and lots of tasting notes in a terribly unorganized hard-copy backlog.

Pours black with a 1 inch chocolate milk head that fades to a thin layer of froth, then very slowly to a ring.

The smell has lots of bourbon character, vanilla, oak, sweet chocolate, chocolate fudge, dark dried candied figs, dark bourbon-oat-and candied cherry cookies, heavy sweet maltiness.

Immediately taste lots of sweet chocolaty and cereal grain maltiness, a big alcoholic bourbon presence, vanilla. Fruitcake - that blend of candied fruits (cherries, raisins, figs), dark sweet bread, walnuts, and molasses. Some tamarind is noticed. Oak is present. Very appealing - sweet and complex. As it warms, bitter chocolate and tart cherries emerge and take the focus away from the darker, mellower flavors.

Carbonation is light. Very full body. Very sticky. coats the mouth, long lasting sweet flavor. alcohol is present but warms and does not detract.

This beer is almost too intense to drink a 12 oz by myself. Its so delicious and every sip is like heaven, but not unlike eating fudge, too much can start to bother. At its best, its like eating a dessert somewhere between fruitcake, panettone, and fig newtons. At its worst, it begins to cloy and lingers for too long. Not that this is a bad beer by any stretch, I am enjoying this a lot. It just shares a problem with DuClaw’s retribution, but to a lesser extent. What ultimately did in retribution for me as an experience was the almost sickening sweetness. This beer avoids the sickening part, perhaps because of the slightly more mouth numbing abv.

There are better BBL aged stouts out there, Old Rasputin BBL for one, Bourbon County Brand, you know the drill. That said, This is definitely a beer worth checking out. It has a bit of an English old ale character that differentiates it from those offerings that is appealing. I don’t know how I feel about the price point - I had to drop 14$ for a 12 oz bottle, but I’m used to this sort of expenditure when it comes to avery’s big beers. They’re mostly singular experiences, and are worth two bottles, as in I wonder how this would taste in a few years. If this sort of thing is for you, then you will definitely love this beer. If its not for you, give it a try anyways. Let it warm as well, because as it does a very appealing tartness comes out to finish everything off.

Be prepared to drink a thick, sweet, creamy beer that is almost the opposite of refreshing. It reminds me of Christmas breads, and all I can think of is visions of sugar-plums dancing or whatnot. I will return to total wine tomorrow to see if I can’t catch another one before they’re gone so I can share it with Evan and Liz, my beer tasting confidants. Here’s to hoping!

I intend to add this next statement(or its contrary) to all my reviews - some beers that I might rate highly are beers that I don't necessarily feel are worth seeking out, considering the trouble to find them or their cost. I might recommend other beers even if I don't personally like them, hell, even if I think they're garbage, as long as they are singular, creative, novel, or so bad you have to try them. This is what it comes down to : uhh do try.

3.52/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured opaque brown/Black with thick brown head that settled into persistent cap. Carbonation glistened like jewels on sides of glass.

Aroma: Chocolate and whisky malt. Warm bread. Coconut and stone fruit.

Taste: Sweet chocolate with boozy notes. Thick and wine-like with plum sweetness.

Mouth: Thick and syrupy. Sticky.

Overall: It is a bottle of beer that can be sipped and enjoyed like a wine or brandy. Warm, but smooth ... could handle more balance but would pair and hold up to strong pungent cheese.

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

Either bought at Little's in Denver, CO or got as part of a beer trade. Either way Batch #2, 16.53% when bottled on June 27, 2013. At this point a little over a year old (6 months in barrels and 7.5 in the bottle). No special reason to crack this one open tonight, just seemed like a good age to give it a go (especially since I got another one).

A&S: Spectacular smell upon cracking it! A huge and complex aroma consisting of dark fruits (plums), bananas dipped in dark chocolate, bourbon (smells pretty hot still), and some coffee. Bourbon and cocoa come through more as it warms. One of the darkest black beers I've seen. Doesn't look super thick when poured. Head is dark cherry/tan, pours super fizzy (about a half finger) and dies quickly to a ring. Very clean, surprisingly no residue clinging at the bottom of the bottle.

T&M: Very powerful & warming. Tons of bourbon upfront (even without letting it warm too much) wow this thing sure has a kick! Dark cocoa is present in the midway through. Not much in the department of fruits (bananas or plums) like in the aroma. Very mellow toasty tones towards the finish. Taste hangs around even on a thinner body. Actually become a bit less alcoholic as it warms with is pretty unusual. Body is thinner than expected for the style, but not for the appearance when poured, overall kinda sharp. Carbonation is medium to low.

Overall: This beer is a bruiser, even a bit too powerful. It a beer that deserves its rating, but probably not much higher. I would like to let it sit longer to cool down, but after my experience with 3.5-4 year aged Harvest Ale I'm afraid to let beers sit too long (although another few months won't compare to 4ish years). This beer this brew most resembles is KBS from Founders, I would love to do a side by side (I honestly don't know what I would prefer nowadays).

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of those beers I've been wanting to try for a while, but hadn't had an opportunity. Shared with my buddy Dave.

The beer is near black with a quarter inch of silky beige collar. The aroma brings dark chocolates, roast, huge malt profile, bourbon, oak. Some vanilla and barrel notes, but more chocolate and bourbon. A delicious beer! So smooth. I honestly hadn't looked at the abv. I thought it was around 12-13%. 17.42% abv?!? Are you serious. Apparently, it's serious, because I felt pretty awesome after I finished my 6 oz. Outstanding beer and well deserving of the high ratings.

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured at Churchills Pub.

Appearance is a pitch black hole, syrupy, with caramel colored head that boils down to a 60 percent flat layer across top of beer.

Aroma is heavenly, mounds bar, toasted coconut, vanilla, coffee, rich milk chocolate , and cashew.

This is a huge beer. A bit heavy on the sweetness for my taste but otherwise a fantastic barrel aged stout. Awesome barrel character, with huge vanilla, coconut, milk chocolate, Brandy bean, bourbon, mounds bar, sweetened coffee, and hints of raisin.

Mouthfeel is silky, light heavy and beautiful.

Overall very nice. If the sweetness was toned down a notch it would be splendid. A sipper for sure, this IS your dessert. No need to pair any food with it.

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage.

Appearance: Pours out just about pitch black, with 1" of dark khaki head. Pretty good head retention but below average lacing. Viscous looking. Overall, a nice looking stout.

Smell: Light roast and char, milk chocolate, vanilla, hints of dark fruits and oak. Smells of residual sugars, a bit sweet but otherwise very complex. Good.

Taste: Light char, big vanilla and milk chocolate presence, a bit of oak and barrel notes. Fairly healthy alcohol bite on the finish, but does not end messily.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Very full bodied stout, with just about the perfect level of fine carbonation. Residual sweet finish, and the alcohol burn hints at the 16%+ ABV. Overall, a very complex stout. While it was on the sweeter side and I probably would not want to drink 12oz in more than one sitting, I enjoyed it immensely.

4.26/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle Date: June 27, 2013

A - Pours like oil, viscous, with a one finger tight head of espresso carbonation.

S - Sweet molasses, oak, dark fruits, vanilla and a good amount of bourbon.

T - Bold dark chocolate and light coffee at first. Develops into a sweeter stout with brown sugar, molasses and vanilla peaking through.

M - Full bodied, low carbonation. Just a rich body, smooth, velvety and for the abv (16.53%) it's not particularly hot.

O - It errs on the side of a sweeter stout, but it's definitely packed full of goodness.

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage, sat in the fridge for about 2 months and finally busting this beast out.

A- Poured half and half into two glasses with a superbly pitch black body. Small head forms to less than a finger with a light tan hue. Bubbly foam dies down fairly fast to a small fizzy ring. Lace is pretty much not going to happen, a spot or two.

S- Deep cereal grains and oatmeal are massive and there is what I used to refer to as The Bruery sweetness (BT and Bois). Thick brown sugary and molasses but not overpowering because the Bourbon barrel certainly makes its presence known. Dark roast chocolate grains and burnt malt feel.

T- Reminds me quite a bit of Black Tuesday to be honest. The alcohol comes through, not necessarily in a bad way, and creates a massive syrupy, burnt roast malt beast. That sweetness once again shows with a molasses, caramel candy note. Bourbon barrel adds a nice dimension and the oak contrasts the base stout nicely. Some vanilla, raisin, dark fruit and slight oxidation reminding me of an Old Ale.

MF- Thick, thick, thick body. This is about as substantial as it gets. Oily and slightly sugary thickness on the palate. Carbonation at a low but nearly medium level considering the strength. Alcohol lingers but not nearly as much as I expected.

As stated above, this reminds me of Black Tuesday a lot but not quite as sweet as the former. The raw strength of the stout and base brew seems to contrast but still blend nicely with fresh woody oak and some good whiskey notes. I should pick up a 2013 bottle just to see if age has changed this 17.43% beast at all...

4.11/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- pitch black with a rusty brown head that disipates quickly.

S- prune, milk chocolate, bourbon, wood, coconut

T- chocolate covered raisins, milk chocolate, coconut, subtle bourbon and on the finish, malted milk ball will bourbon. Very creamy, sweet and smooth.

M- subtle carbonation, big body... Obviously

D- darn good. Finishing off a big meal with this. A very nice imperial stout. My unfounded opinion would be to drink fresh as the sweetness would, in theory, only increase with age.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a large snifter.

A: Midnight black. The brown head settles shortly after the pour, but can be re-invigorated with some swirling of the glass. Sparse and spotty lacing.

S: The barrel leads off on the nose. Plenty of charred oak, caramel, and bourbon. Hints of dried figs. Burnt coffee and burnt sugar. Bakers chocolate and some sweeter fudgey notes. Stiff alcohol.

T: Rich dark chocolate and fudge. Heavy mocha flavor. Wave of rich, chewy dark caramel. Lots of barrel char mid-palate. Charred oak. Bourbon. Stiff alcohol punch. Big estery profile of brandy and red fruits. Bakers chocolate and some alcohol heat on the finish.

M: Thick body. Big and chewy. Unctuous but velvety smooth. Light oak astringency. Big warming alcohol presence. Low supporting carbonation.

O: Whoa Nelly, we've got a big one! Yet another enormous beer from Avery. A bold sipper that drinks like a fine cordial or cognac. I can picture this really being something with age. Though it drinks fine fresh, it does have a boozy and estery punch that will probably mellow with time, letting those wonderful chocolatey malt flavors pull through more. This was a real treat on a cold winter night.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance- darkness!!! served in a snifter.. swirled it around. lacing stuck to the glass like a stripper on a drunk guy blowing money away. i like my BBA stouts to have that.. sticky low carb thin head pitch balck look

Smell- the smell is sweet sweet goodness, vanilla, molasses, bourbon, woody, and roasted malts all mesh amazing

taste- as great as it smells, big big big beer. roastyness, bourbon, sweet malts, has a punch of a 13% stout not 17!!! wll done avery! this rivals BT and other super hype beers( that stand up to the hype) in a blind taste test i can see this to beat out some of those. not overly sweet like those 16+ % abv beers, just right

Mouthfeel- full body, sticky, loooong lasting flavor perfect feel.

Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery Brewing Company