Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Uncle Jacob's Stout | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Jacob Spears, our 6th Great Grand Uncle, is credited as the first distiller to label his whiskey “Bourbon.” He built his distillery in Bourbon County Kentucky in 1790 — 203 years before we began brewing. While obviously a bit too late to produce Uncle Jacob’s wash, we’ve instead created something far more complex. In his honor, we present this robust, silky smooth, full-bodied and altogether extremely American rendition of an Imperial Stout aged for 6 months in the very finest Bourbon barrels. This explains a lot about our penchant for big brews! It’s in our blood!

Added by emmasdad on 04-08-2012

#211

Ratings: 2,768 |  Reviews: 436
4.42/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.71/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle to tulip. Dark mahogany liquid capped with a finger of khaki head. The aroma is a bit boozy and bourbony, which worries me. I've been out put off with all these BA ales that are bourbon forward, my stomach can take only so much . A few sips and that fear is put to bed. There's no bourbon sting, but lots of luscious cocoa, vanilla, charred oak, caramel, and smooth,not burning, bourbon. I liked this one just as much, if not a little more, than KBS.

4.63/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a half inch of tan-colored, foamy, somewhat long-lasting head. Below average lacing.

S: A very big aroma of bourbon, malt, chocolate, and a hint of coffee.

T: Tasted of a good amount of chocolate, roasted malt, dark fruit, vanilla, a whole lot of bourbon, and a hint of coffee in the finish. With an ABV% this high it's hard to ignore the boozy quality in the flavor, but that doesn't dampen the other ingredients at all. Complex and forceful.

F: An OK amount of carbonation with a creamy, but definitely boozy finish. Full-bodied.

O: Another beer that's not for the faint of heart. Uncle Jacob's Stout is extremely well made and drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.28/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.78/5  rDev -14.5%

3.83/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Okay I had to try it -- a 17.1% barrel-aged stout. At $12 a bottle I knew I was in for a something different and not something I'd be drinking every weekend.

Bottle dated 2/20/16, so it's a little young even though it's already been aged half a year. Pours quite black in a tulip glass, with light barely coming through at the edges. It has a slight and light tan head that isn't even really there (I did pour rather carefully). The aroma is chocolate, and malty and booze in there. Nice.

The taste is bittersweet chocolate, some dark fruit and caramel, leans towards molasses. And oh boy, plenty of the booze sting. The bourbon flavor is quite distinct, and fills out nicely with roastiness and some dark fruit hints, but the alcohol is our featured player. Sip, don't drink. The bite has a hoppy bitterness to it as well, maybe that's the booze heat. Barrel wood is in there, generally a big and chewy mouthful.

Not unpleasant but damn the booze is sharp and almost scuttles the whole thing. It's like a chocolate roasty strong mixed drink, which I'm sure is the intention. As it warms the fruit comes up more (cherries) and the cocoa lingers more in the aftertaste. Everything I like in a stout, but I can't say it's as enjoyable as I'd normally like.

It's different. Age would probably mellow this. I appreciate it. But I met my match. I'll stay at 10% for my imperial stouts, thank you.

4.44/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.48/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Pour is black. As dark as any beer I've had. One finger of soapy khaki head recedes to a thin collar with light patches of oily lace. Poured it fresh from the fridge so the aroma is a bit muted at first. As it warms, there are notes of dark fudge and vanilla accented by tobacco, leather, and plenty of bourbon.

The taste is dark semisweet chocolate, molasses, burnt caramel, and again, plenty of bourbon. Body is thick and chewy with enough creaminess to maintain a silky feel and coat the palate well. Would I call it smooth? No. But that's ok with me. I enjoy the occasional huge fire breathing beast. However, I feel like the flavors suffered from the intense alcohol heat. It masks some of the chocolatey goodness that seems to be lurking beneath the surface.

Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Although I believe I'd enjoy just about anything with this rocket fuel coursing through my veins. It's an intense stong sipper, and it excels in that regard. I felt like it didn't quite live up to its potential, but I won't pass it up if I see it again.

4.39/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, batch 5, poured into a tulip

A- Black with a two finger mocha head.

S- Bourbon, molasses, vanilla, chocolate, some roasted malts, hints of dark fruits, boozy.

T- Bourbon, some charred oak, roasted coffee, vanilla, chocolate, some dark fruit/sweet booziness.

M- A little hot, but smooth enough for 17% ABV, full body.

O- A big tasty stout. Alcohol is noticeable and a little hot, not over the the top for 17.1% ABV. Would like to see how this ages.

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L - black with thin brown
S - chocolate, vanilla/bourbon, bit of roastiness
T - taste follows the nose, bit of heat on the aftertaste, but nice
F - super creamy. Very nice carbonation, nice thickness
O - excellent beer, not too hot even off the bat and I'm interested to see it with some age

4.69/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.02/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

to me for a year round beer and easy to get its fantastic. the 17.1 isnt hot to me and i love the barrel nose and taste.. its a little thin even for a BBA but still awesome beer!

4.37/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.66/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.42/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.33/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery Brewing Company