Uncle Jacob's Stout | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

In the quest to create a collection of barrel-aged beers to be reproduced annually, Avery Brewing Company is releasing Uncle Jacob’s Stout, the second member of its Annual Barrel Series. The collection began with Rumpkin rum barrel-aged pumpkin ale in the fall of 2011, and now continues with this 17.4% ABV stout that was aged in first-use Bourbon barrels for 6 months. While the Avery Barrel-Aged Series features one-time-only batches, such as the recent Muscat d’Amour and Récolte Sauvage, the Annual Barrel Series features a selection of cellarable barrel-aged beers that fans can return to and get to know every year.

Added by emmasdad on 04-08-2012

Ratings: 2,675 |  Reviews: 421

appearance: Deep dark brown. A little reddish gown hints around the edges when held to light. Impressive mocha head especially for a monster of a stout.
smell: A decadent bourbon, dark chocolate, malt, and dart fruit dessert.
taste: and all of the promise of the nose is delivered.
overall: This ain't nuthin but good. Rich, bad-ass, transcendent. Holy shit. Fwiw, alcohol is there but amazingly well masked for such a beast.
I realize there are some that argue all 5's are impossible. This beer for me could not get any better. Nothing should be added or taken away imo and so I have to got with perfect.

So this is it. My 1000th beer on Beer Advocate. Not my 1000th beer in life but on this website for sure. Pretty amazing to have come this far in the world of beer. A quick rundown of important events that led me here:

I was young once (underage) and I drank 40s and Busch Light to get drunk. I turned 21 and got a job at a liquor store (Spec's). I befriended the head of the beer department, he taught me everything he knew about beer, he moved away, I became head of the beer department. I became friends with one of our beer sales reps and he gave me my first "alternative" beer. It was the Belgian beer Delirium Nocturnum. I was hooked! I became a Craft and Belgian beer salesman after that. A buddy gave me a homebrew kit for my 23rd birthday. I dabbled with brewing until it wrapped its loving arms around me and I got hooked. I've been brewing at least twice a month for some 6 years now. I volunteer at Thirsty Planet Brewing and me and my gal Amanda (my Corndog) are moving to Portland in 4 weeks so that I can pursue my passion for brewing professionally and hopefully one day start my own brewery.

Now for the review:

Pours black as ever, no light shines thru, a little bit of dark brown bubbles hanging out on top. The nose is milk chocolate, vanilla, bourbon in the background, caramel, just intense. Chocolate is the biggest player in the aroma. The taste....big sticky chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate chip cookie, brown sugar with an accent of salt, very rich. Getting a little bit of alcohol burn in the finish but I'm surprised its masked so well. Its like 17%!!! Big ass body. Redonkulous.

Glad I could make this my 1000th beer on this great site. I have been a fan of Avery since I knew what craft beer was and they never disappoint. Cheers everyone and happy brewing/drinking!!!

Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery Brewing Company