Uncle Jacob's Stout | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Jacob Spears, our 6th Great Grand Uncle, is credited as the first distiller to label his whiskey “Bourbon.” He built his distillery in Bourbon County Kentucky in 1790 — 203 years before we began brewing. While obviously a bit too late to produce Uncle Jacob’s wash, we’ve instead created something far more complex. In his honor, we present this robust, silky smooth, full-bodied and altogether extremely American rendition of an Imperial Stout aged for 6 months in the very finest Bourbon barrels. This explains a lot about our penchant for big brews! It’s in our blood!

Added by emmasdad on 04-08-2012

#210

Ratings: 2,749 |  Reviews: 434

bottled 2/4/2014
12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

S: wow! this smells amazing! i get a fair amount of bourbon, and oak upfront, but not in an overpowering way. roasted malt, dark chocolate, dark fruits, coffee. simply incredible.

A: great appearance. pours jet black like motor oil, good head for such a high alcohol beer. deep tan.

T: this is delicious! soft bourbon, oak, vanilla followed up dark chocolate, coffee and dark fruits. no taste of the alcohol. dark chocolate lingers on the palate after each sip

M: thick and creamy! just like a barrel aged stout should be.

O: this is incredible! this is now one of my favorite beers! its a shame its $15 for 12 oz. the price is the only flaw!

Had this beer the day it was released, and had it again today. Simply flawless. The bourbon is there, but not over-powering. It's a super fine stout with just the right amount of bourbon barrel. The thing that stands out to me is a sweetness in the taste that especially emerges over time. Reminiscent of Rumpkin (another fine beer from Avery) with that sweetness, though not as sweet as Rumpkin. Creamy and full mouthfeel.

Damn! Having this for the umteenth time and just had to expand. I hate to say that "this beer is "better" than that" but, to me, this puts BCBS to shame. I know, I know, the price is ridiculous. But putting that aside, this is the best bourbon barrel aged stout I have ever had. If you get the chance to pick one up, do it. Save it for the right time. Don't drink 5 IPA's then break this one out. Sit back and enjoy it on it's own.

Totally subjective, totally biased, totally going against a fair rating, but as far as I'm concerned, this is my favorite, and therefore the best, beer. First of all, I only tried it because I'm an Uncle Jacob myself, and even if it was $12 for a taster at Snallygaster beer festival, how could I not?? Met my expectations, hopes, dreams, and more! Even my girlfriend who is normally content with Miller Lite liked it (too much, actually. It's expensive and I'll be damned if I'm sharing any!).

But seriously, if you are willing to pony up big cash, then a million scent and flavor spirits will inhabit your body and feast upon your soul. Best was to describe it is a barrel-aged, Belgian quad-style imperial stout. It's got smoke, cocoa, chocolate, oak, stone fruit, spices, sweet, bitter, it's rich, thick, boozy but less than it's ABV would suggest. It's everything a megabeer should be. I'll add more description the next time I have some, if I can get off the floor long enough.

Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery Brewing Company