Serendipity Porter | Beards Brewery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Beards Brewery
beardsbrewery.com

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by breakingbland on 04-11-2013

3.6

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 11
Reviews by breakingbland:
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

At Palette Bistro in Petoskey, MI, 5 March 2013

On tap, poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: A deep opaque brown with only a slight head.

Aroma: A toasty aroma with some coffee and some yeast.

Taste: The taste didn't follow the aroma. Instead it has a cherry, fruity taste. Hops are present, but the beer is more malty than hoppy. Overall it has a fairly deep taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fine carbonation.

Overall: This was a pleasant beer having a good -- but not overly strong -- character. As a result, it goes well with food. I'll look for it again when I'm in the area.

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a can of Beards Brewery's Serendipity Porter last week at Boyne Country Provisions. I'm on to the last of the beard cans that I picked up while up north, I'm interested to see what they can do with a Porter, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can has a nice design to it, it's a little weird and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a darker brown color that took on more of a brown and mahogany color when held to the light with a half fingers worth of creamy slightly darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking Porter, but I wish it had a little more head and it should be a little darker.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with a smokey aroma being the first to show up and it imparts more of a smokey aspect than I was expecting and it goes right into the malts which impart some lightly roasted, dark malt, light chocolate and grainy aromas. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a fruity and light cherry aroma that's followed by a unique pipe tobacco like aroma. The aroma is nice, but it's a little more smokey and less robust than I would like from a Porter.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart all the aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they have more of a roasted and robust aspect to them and the chocolate shows up more. Up next comes that same smokey aspects that I got in the aroma, but it's much lighter this time and it's followed by the fruity yeast which shows up just about the same and it imparts that same dark cherry aspect. On the finish there's a lighter amount bitterness with some sweet malts showing up also and it had a sweet, roasted malt, chocolate and grainy aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, the robustness that I was looking for showed up.

M- Smooth, a little sticky, slightly cloying, crisp, on the thick side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, but I wish the it wasn't slightly cloying.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and nice example of the style, it threw me off a little with the aroma, but when it came to the taste everything started to come together and became better than I was thinking it might be from my first impression of the aroma. This beer has decent drinkability, I could drink one, but it's too sweet for me to drink more than that. What I like the most about this beer is the taste, it was nice and right where it should be for the style. What I like the least about this beer is the sweetness, I wish it was a little less sweet. I might buy this beer again and I don't think I would turn one down. It's not a must try, but if you don't mind your Porters on the sweeter side than this might be worth checking out. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it and in the end it was the aroma and the sweetness that really held it back. IT's not my favorite Beards beer and it's just a little above average for the style. Soild job guys, but with just a little more work this could be a pretty good beer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Taste: slight toffee, mellow, chocolate malt, dark cherries, maybe toasted coffee beans.
Mild malt nose. Very dark Brown, semi clear, with small head with no real lace.
Medium body. Not super robust but it would still pair with many meat dishes.

Serendipity Porter from Beards Brewery