Big Cranky Double IPA | Stony Creek Brewery

Alströms:

Reviews by far333:
2.77/5  rDev -29%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Straw yellow, slightly orange with a low white head that rises up minimally and settles quickly. Low aroma of resiny citrus, notes of pine. Flavor matches the nose, rich honey malt rides beneath. Notes of solventy alcohol in the finish. Very slick and watery mouthfeel. This one is apparently in high demand, but it's seeming pretty average to me.

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

When I was a teenager, I was dating a girl who was abundantly endowed for her age. She had occasion to drop by once while my Uncle Burns (as in sideburns) was visiting from out of town. When she entered the room, she gave off pheromones of teenage lust and walked with a swagger that only a runway model could envy. Now alert from the semi-catatonic state induced by a sixer of Olde English 800 (yes, they existed), Uncle Burns looks in her general direction (you get the point), then looks at me. The next thing he uttered, while coded, yet completely off-color, has left an indelible mark on me to this day. "Larrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrge, he says." Talk about deafening silence. You could literally hear a pin drop. Witness Big Cranky. Canned on 9/8, this is super fresh and I'm thankful for the opportunity to partake. The smell on this one is extravagant. Like the head cheerleader who rarely sweats, but when she does, it smells like purified mint water. The tropical scents on this one are toxic. Imagine walking into Starburst HQ, only to find the kitchen staff chopping up fresh garlic, and scallions. Taste follows seamlessly, introducing a further compliment of tropical goodness that assaults the palate in waves. It reminds me of my aforementioned girlfriend, who used to wear cherry lip gloss, that I can only surmise as tasting like heaven. The beauty of life is that while time passes, memories never fade. This beer, dare I say, reminds me of Tree House's Alter Ego, albeit on steroids. The ABV and bitterness are omnipresent, but it does not detract from the overall experience. I certainly didn't expect to be wowed by this beer; I only expected it to be part of the process. The feel is prickly with residual tropical flavors on the finish, and some faint herbaceous-like qualities. I think it's only appropriate that I give a nod to Stony Creek, and my 16-year-old girlfriend (who shall remain nameless). Last but not least, Uncle Burns, thank you. You created a legacy the day you uttered that unimaginable phrase, a phrase that has evolved into myriad meanings than your original intent. You, sir, are "larrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrge."

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains the some funky tropical fruit scent that you get in the regular Cranky IPA only stronger along with grassy hops and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out sweet with strong flavors of tropical fruits and caramel followed by a subdued floral hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty and brings a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style, there are certainly several other beers in the style that I would choose before this one.

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was another of the many CANs that returned with me from my latest New England visit to help further The CANQuest (tm). I CANtinue to marvel at how many craft CANs are now available & also at the beautiful graphics on so many of them.

From the CAN: "Agressively Laid-Back Beer"; "A bold West Coast Style Double IPA, this is the crankiest of our IPAs. Seven different hops contribute complex and juicy hop character. Its dry finish allows the hops to stand out. At 9.5% ALC/VOL and 95 IBUs, while remarkably cranky, this beer is extremely drinkable."

I began as I always do, with the Crack!, but the idea of an inverted Glug from a 16-fl. oz. CAN was verboten. Even my gentle Glug got me two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with very good retention. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, leading to a visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus and Mammon. They sure do love their gold! I loved the fresh tropical fruitiness of the nose on this beer. It reminded me of my time as a west coast and Caribbean sailor, when fresh fruit was the norm and included mango, papaya and guava as well as pineapple and tangerine. My mouth was watering in CANticipation. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. I liked the way that the brewers may have intuited that hops with only tropical flavors might come off as too sweet, so it was balanced with a grapefruit citrusiness. While I was CANtemplating this possibility, some really nice, sticky lacing began to line the interior of my glass. Finish was semi-dry, believe it or don't! The sweetness of the tropical fruit flavors could not be overcome by the bitterness of the grapefruit. Phew! Jeez-O, man, if it were not for the ABV, I could go on a steady diet of this stuff. I would not mind trying the other Crankys, since they also seem to be CANned. Well done, sirs!

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clear, light amber color. Modest head that settles to rim bubbles. Decent streaks and plentiful small spots on the glass.

Very mild aroma for an IPA. I get mostly light gained malt from the nose.

Caramelized malt to start with a light sweetness. Thicker body with a light level of carbonation. The hop kicks in with a bit of white pepper bitterness. Balanced aftertaste...moderate length. A very pleasant IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From a 16oz can, undated as best I can tell. Served in a nonic.

Pours a mostly clear, golden-pulp-free-orange-juice colour with a finger-plus of whipped, marshmallow-fluff head. Retention is good for a few minutes and settles back to a bubbly cap of suds with fat wads of lace.

Nose is faint. Some crusty bread and oranges? Maybe it's me because the last few beers I've had haven't seemed to smell like much.

Taste is massively bitter, entire macerated grapefruits, pith, peel, seeds and all, steeped in gum spirits of turpentine. Orange peel, lime and pine sap. There's a hefty bready malt body somewhere under all that lacquer thinner but my palate is too numbed to tell much about it. The finish is surprisingly quick and clean with just a lingering Grand Marnier-like boozy burn to the gullet.

Mouthfeel is medium-thick, adequately carbonated and creamy - which is odd because you don't normally think of something that reams out your sinuses and strips the lining off your esophagus as 'creamy.'

Overall, this was a rude shock to my juicy NEIPA acclimated palate. Not that this isn't juicy, too, in its own way, it's just the kind of juicy that ties you up, bends you over a stool and sticks kitchen tools in your orifices while it has its way with you. I mean, I like big, bitter and boozy as much as the next guy, and probably more than the four or five guys standing next to him, but this bad boy actually made me whimper.

2.08/5  rDev -46.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

This was something I was looking forward to and was so dissapointed. The grapefruit was way too strong and I had no desire to even finish the whole beer. I see what they were going for....but just struck out.

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This one just did not do it for me. Too boozy with little hop flavor and kind of a nasty bitterness in the aftertaste. There are plenty of better DIPAs out there...

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sweet tropical flavor with fairly mild bitterness.

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

16 oz can, "Canned 9/25/15" stamped on the bottom...yeah fresh DIPA in a can...life is good

Pours near clear with bubbles rising, medium amber, under a long lasting and fluffy off white cap. Solid sheeting and bands of lace left on the glass.

On the nose I'm getting a hit of pungent onions (thats different), and grainy hops in the rear.

Tasty and bold DIPA,, tropical fruits and hoppy goodness...fresh and flavorful..highly enjoyable

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap. Pours hazy, gold in color, with 1/3 inch head. Taste is floral hops, orange, and alcohol. Medium-heavy bodied, almost slick. Not overly bitter, tasty and goes down way too easy for a beer this big. Best beer I have had from the brewery by far.

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours clear orangy golden. there is some savoriness in the aroma with some sweetness. not much bitterness but a lot of fruit. i'm getting strawberries. must be the maltiness. overall a nice beer.

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into pint glass; nice orange color with one finger head. Moderate carbonation. Nice citrus flavors balanced with the hops; medium body but seems dry. Light bitterness for a 9.5ABV.

4.68/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

3.61/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Drinking this out of a snifter at the brewery, first day of its release. Pours a nice light amber, clear, with a head that fades to nothingness. Decent aroma, but very light for a DIPA. Some sweetness and malt, a hoppy backbone hides in the back. Taste starts sweet, some fruity esters, hint of lemon, resin, big veggie hop note at the end. Good overall flavor but maybe this was hopped a bit too long, shouldn't get that veggie flavor here. Finishes bitter, no discernible alcohol. Really drinkable for 9.5% ABV.

You know, SC gets a lot of hate. This beer is actually OK. It's no mind-boggler and it's not super hoppy. It's a decent DIPA that's not too malty or sweet and it's really easy to finish the 10 oz snifter. I think with some improvement on the hop schedule or hop varietals this could really be a winner. Dry-hop this on Mosaic and I think it would be great.

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A malty, coffee, sweet finish makes me consider this excellent dipa a dessert beer.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours the perfect orange hue for a new hoppy IPA.
The aromoa was full of pine, resin , grapefruit, bannana and other tropical fruits
The initial taste was delightful.... Crisp on the tongue, full on the way down.
Aftertaste is perfect, nice dry bitter finish with a lingering aftertaste you hope to get from DIPA

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

9.5 % alc. And 95 IBU's. Its cranky. Seven (7) different hops.

Golden amber color, lots of slow moving bubbles proves good carbonation. A very high and full, all-white frothy crown has fine retention from fading and also leaves plenty of lace in it's wake.

Massive sweet malty aroma and then the hops pop out: herbal and spicy blend, red, tropical fruits, citrus blend, i.e....orange, lemmon, grapefruit and even some green earthy notes. A very excellent and complex hoppy nose.

A very sharp, citrus and tangy hop bite just attacks the palate. Strong heat from the 9.5 abv. Gives a long, hot tingle. Be sure to sip this, for, it is a beast. Sharp, tangy, citrus fruit dominates the flavor. Grapefruit , lemmon and oranges really kick in. Spicy herbs and dry, dry earthy tones come in the finish. The malt is very sweet, caramel and maybe some wheat flavor deep down. Seven jops give masdive complexity and giant hop flavor. I have actually not expereienced a bigger or more bitter hop complexity in a very long time. If your not a big hop-head you might not be able to handle the effects of this hop bomb. If you're not a DIPA conissuer, dont bother.

The feel has a big, sharp hoppy and dry bite. A real snap. Hot heat tingle, juicy medium body with dry, spicy hop lingering feel and flavor. This hop will totally saturate your palate. Don't plan on reviewing any other beers after this one! Your tadtebuds will need time to recover!

I will admit, I'm not the biggest Dipa fan, and massive hoppy brews have not been my thing for a very long time. I do, however give bonus points for any unique qualities and extra interesting aspects I might find within this style. I'm very impressed with just how big the hops are here. Sipping and slowly pondering this hop beast is pretty fun. Super high alpha hops are just exploding out of the glass! 16 oz. A big dose of this brew!!

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

16 oz can no date

Pours a clear orange amber color with a creamy half-finger head that laces fabulously. Nice effervescence after the pour.

Aroma is faintly sweet with tropical notes - can't quite place them though.

Taste is bold and sweet up front, somehow masking the maltiness well. A bit of a hot finish that still manages to hold on to the rich orange and lemon hop flavor. I wish the term "juicy" was better managed because lots of people are calling it that but to me juicy implies the unfiltered oated feel along with the flavor -- none of that here by design.

Feel is amazingly clean and crisp, a bit dry on the lips. Bitterness is high but it manages to stay out of the way of the flavor somehow.

I think these guys did their homework on this one. They say on the can that it is West Coast Style DIPA but they have definitely put a Northeast spin on it with the strong tropical hop flavor - really well blended mix of seven hops.

Big Cranky Double IPA from Stony Creek Brewery