Big Cranky Double IPA

Notes:
Reviews: 81 | Ratings: 337 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by psdriscoll:
4.06/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

When I was a teenager, I was dating a girl who was abundantly endowed for her age. She had occasion to drop by once while my Uncle Burns (as in sideburns) was visiting from out of town. When she entered the room, she gave off pheromones of teenage lust and walked with a swagger that only a runway model could envy. Now alert from the semi-catatonic state induced by a sixer of Olde English 800 (yes, they existed), Uncle Burns looks in her general direction (you get the point), then looks at me. The next thing he uttered, while coded, yet completely off-color, has left an indelible mark on me to this day. "Larrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrge, he says." Talk about deafening silence. You could literally hear a pin drop. Witness Big Cranky. Canned on 9/8, this is super fresh and I'm thankful for the opportunity to partake. The smell on this one is extravagant. Like the head cheerleader who rarely sweats, but when she does, it smells like purified mint water. The tropical scents on this one are toxic. Imagine walking into Starburst HQ, only to find the kitchen staff chopping up fresh garlic, and scallions. Taste follows seamlessly, introducing a further compliment of tropical goodness that assaults the palate in waves. It reminds me of my aforementioned girlfriend, who used to wear cherry lip gloss, that I can only surmise as tasting like heaven. The beauty of life is that while time passes, memories never fade. This beer, dare I say, reminds me of Tree House's Alter Ego, albeit on steroids. The ABV and bitterness are omnipresent, but it does not detract from the overall experience. I certainly didn't expect to be wowed by this beer; I only expected it to be part of the process. The feel is prickly with residual tropical flavors on the finish, and some faint herbaceous-like qualities. I think it's only appropriate that I give a nod to Stony Creek, and my 16-year-old girlfriend (who shall remain nameless). Last but not least, Uncle Burns, thank you. You created a legacy the day you uttered that unimaginable phrase, a phrase that has evolved into myriad meanings than your original intent. You, sir, are "larrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrge."

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From a 16oz can, undated as best I can tell. Served in a nonic.

Pours a mostly clear, golden-pulp-free-orange-juice colour with a finger-plus of whipped, marshmallow-fluff head. Retention is good for a few minutes and settles back to a bubbly cap of suds with fat wads of lace.

Nose is faint. Some crusty bread and oranges? Maybe it's me because the last few beers I've had haven't seemed to smell like much.

Taste is massively bitter, entire macerated grapefruits, pith, peel, seeds and all, steeped in gum spirits of turpentine. Orange peel, lime and pine sap. There's a hefty bready malt body somewhere under all that lacquer thinner but my palate is too numbed to tell much about it. The finish is surprisingly quick and clean with just a lingering Grand Marnier-like boozy burn to the gullet.

Mouthfeel is medium-thick, adequately carbonated and creamy - which is odd because you don't normally think of something that reams out your sinuses and strips the lining off your esophagus as 'creamy.'

Overall, this was a rude shock to my juicy NEIPA acclimated palate. Not that this isn't juicy, too, in its own way, it's just the kind of juicy that ties you up, bends you over a stool and sticks kitchen tools in your orifices while it has its way with you. I mean, I like big, bitter and boozy as much as the next guy, and probably more than the four or five guys standing next to him, but this bad boy actually made me whimper.

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This one just did not do it for me. Too boozy with little hop flavor and kind of a nasty bitterness in the aftertaste. There are plenty of better DIPAs out there...

2.77/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Straw yellow, slightly orange with a low white head that rises up minimally and settles quickly. Low aroma of resiny citrus, notes of pine. Flavor matches the nose, rich honey malt rides beneath. Notes of solventy alcohol in the finish. Very slick and watery mouthfeel. This one is apparently in high demand, but it's seeming pretty average to me.

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clear, light amber color. Modest head that settles to rim bubbles. Decent streaks and plentiful small spots on the glass.

Very mild aroma for an IPA. I get mostly light gained malt from the nose.

Caramelized malt to start with a light sweetness. Thicker body with a light level of carbonation. The hop kicks in with a bit of white pepper bitterness. Balanced aftertaste...moderate length. A very pleasant IPA.

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was another of the many CANs that returned with me from my latest New England visit to help further The CANQuest (tm). I CANtinue to marvel at how many craft CANs are now available & also at the beautiful graphics on so many of them.

From the CAN: "Agressively Laid-Back Beer"; "A bold West Coast Style Double IPA, this is the crankiest of our IPAs. Seven different hops contribute complex and juicy hop character. Its dry finish allows the hops to stand out. At 9.5% ALC/VOL and 95 IBUs, while remarkably cranky, this beer is extremely drinkable."

I began as I always do, with the Crack!, but the idea of an inverted Glug from a 16-fl. oz. CAN was verboten. Even my gentle Glug got me two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with very good retention. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, leading to a visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus and Mammon. They sure do love their gold! I loved the fresh tropical fruitiness of the nose on this beer. It reminded me of my time as a west coast and Caribbean sailor, when fresh fruit was the norm and included mango, papaya and guava as well as pineapple and tangerine. My mouth was watering in CANticipation. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. I liked the way that the brewers may have intuited that hops with only tropical flavors might come off as too sweet, so it was balanced with a grapefruit citrusiness. While I was CANtemplating this possibility, some really nice, sticky lacing began to line the interior of my glass. Finish was semi-dry, believe it or don't! The sweetness of the tropical fruit flavors could not be overcome by the bitterness of the grapefruit. Phew! Jeez-O, man, if it were not for the ABV, I could go on a steady diet of this stuff. I would not mind trying the other Crankys, since they also seem to be CANned. Well done, sirs!

3.56/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains the some funky tropical fruit scent that you get in the regular Cranky IPA only stronger along with grassy hops and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out sweet with strong flavors of tropical fruits and caramel followed by a subdued floral hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty and brings a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style, there are certainly several other beers in the style that I would choose before this one.

2.08/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

This was something I was looking forward to and was so dissapointed. The grapefruit was way too strong and I had no desire to even finish the whole beer. I see what they were going for....but just struck out.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours the perfect orange hue for a new hoppy IPA.
The aromoa was full of pine, resin , grapefruit, bannana and other tropical fruits
The initial taste was delightful.... Crisp on the tongue, full on the way down.
Aftertaste is perfect, nice dry bitter finish with a lingering aftertaste you hope to get from DIPA

Best beer in CT

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Meh

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.81/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured into a hybrid glass from a 16oz can

A - a golden orange California sunset, one plus finger bright white head and some serious lacing.

S - Caramelized brown sugar, pine, wildly sweet citrus, over ripe bananas, orange cake with butter cream orange frosting, fresh cut noble fir and more sugar, more booze...wow.

T - To booziness and beyond! Sugary booze, pine, charred and new woods, super rad roasted/toasted grains/malts (brings an awesome bitterness, banana bread, sweet citrus and citrus rinds and more sugary booze.

M - full bodied, crazy balance, rad complexity, medium carbonation and medium (maybe medium plus) acidity.

D - Now, while this is a BEAST (awesome one at that) isn't "refreshing", it is delicious, interesting, a wild ride and keeps you coming back for more. The sugar and booze are dominate, in the best sense of the word and with the "undertones" of pine, ripe fruits, flowers and citrus you be left in child like wonderment. Grab something savory and enjoy.

Final thoughts - I don't care that I don't know the price, because I want more, haha. The almost 10% ABV tastes even bigger than that and I want this in any and every form.

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.61/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Drinking this out of a snifter at the brewery, first day of its release. Pours a nice light amber, clear, with a head that fades to nothingness. Decent aroma, but very light for a DIPA. Some sweetness and malt, a hoppy backbone hides in the back. Taste starts sweet, some fruity esters, hint of lemon, resin, big veggie hop note at the end. Good overall flavor but maybe this was hopped a bit too long, shouldn't get that veggie flavor here. Finishes bitter, no discernible alcohol. Really drinkable for 9.5% ABV.

You know, SC gets a lot of hate. This beer is actually OK. It's no mind-boggler and it's not super hoppy. It's a decent DIPA that's not too malty or sweet and it's really easy to finish the 10 oz snifter. I think with some improvement on the hop schedule or hop varietals this could really be a winner. Dry-hop this on Mosaic and I think it would be great.

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have just recently got into trying IPA's, yes I know IPA noob here as of now. But this one was one of the first ones I tried. Found it at a local grocery store one town over in East Hartford and loved it. Not only did it have a "healthy" alchohol content which is nice but the flavor was fantastic. I have had some IPA's that drink like aunt jemima's syrup. I guess you get what you pay for as the saying goes. I would highly recommend this if you enjoy IPA's that have some good "horsepower" to them.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a 13 oz Weyerbacher tulip glass canned on 3/1/17. Pours a very dark orange with a 1 inch stick white that leaves nice webs of lace.

Smell is apricot, tangerine, pine, garlic, and grapefruit rind.

Taste follows apricot, garlic, tangerine, and a healthy dose of grapefruit in the fairly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a big medium, plenty of carbonation, a little dry and sticky from fresh juicy hops, and is drinking for 9.5% ABV.

Overall this is a very nice version of a WCIPA, definitely has some of that Gubna vibe.

3.44/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%

Fragrance of tangerine, pine and mango my tongue said WHOA cranky, an immediate bitterness but not in a bad way kinda like when your wife is pissed she didn't know where you were til she finds out you were shopping for her. 7 hops makes you spin your flavor wheel, is that 5 C's plus Simcoe and Mosaic... wait. Amarillo is in there. The 9.5 ABV comes on strong without being boozy. Definitely color me cranky.

Big Cranky Double IPA from Stony Creek Brewery