Olde World Pale Ale | Sloop Brewing

Olde World Pale AleOlde World Pale Ale

Sloop Brewing
New York, United States
sloopbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by flagmantho on 11-26-2012

Reviews by flagmantho:
3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a dimpled mug. The brewers indicate that this is a European-style pale ale with continental ingredients and influences. I guess this puts it closer to an American pale ale rather than an English one (since most of the ingredients aren't English).

Appearance: medium golden hue with a light haze and a nice effervescence. Head pours a thick finger of frothy eggshell foam. Quite attractive.

Smell: very grainy malt aroma with a toasty quality and a murky, yeasty backdrop. Hops are pretty restrained in the aroma and are earthy and noble in character. Not bad, but the toastiness doesn't particularly work for me in this application.

Taste: very much in line with the aroma, although the herbal, earthy hops come out a little bit more and the bitterness helps balance out the beer's maltier qualities. This is a very subtle beer which is kind of growing on me. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a satisfying creaminess. I like it.

Overall: this beer has a good drinkability and I'm finding myself liking it more and more, despite the fact that it doesn't check any of the boxes that I normally want to see checked. Too grainy, too toasty, hops too low-key ... and yet, I like it. Go figure. A nice session ale.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%