Revolver Blood And Honey | Revolver Brewing

good
Read the review
Revolver Blood And HoneyRevolver Blood And Honey

Revolver Brewing
Texas, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Ale brewed with blood orange peels, honey and spices.

Added by Mora2000 on 10-20-2012

Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 514
2.75/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

After all the hype around this beer, I was disappointed. Fairly flavorless, though I felt a little better when I was told it was a wheat and not a blonde. Can barely taste the orange and barely taste the honey. I'll pass on this one next time. (P.S. If you're a beer nerd, try the Ironhead IPA. Uniquely better IMO)

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Light hazy golden color, finger white head fades slowly, coating lace. Wheat bread aroma with some blood orange citrus notes. Light bodied wheat ale, blood orange citrusy bitterness is there with a little honey sweetness, just as advertised. Thin semi slick feel. Ok brew.

4.85/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have had a wide variety of beer in my life - not a ton, but enough that I can distinguish quality from competent from trash. Revolver Blood and Honey is one of the FINEST beers I have ever consumed. Quality taste, clean, crisp, just what an ale should be. No bitter or skunky undertones. Fantastic from first sip to last swallow. This is what beer is all about.

2.08/5  rDev -44.5%

Basically okay in a nutshell. This is subjective, of course. This was a fairly plain and slightly over-bitter beer. The first sip had a bite and the aftertaste was a little sour. The beer was lighter than I enjoy, but not altogether bad. I probably wouldn't oppose this if a friend got a six-pack, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Being a subjective review, I admit that several of my friends like this one, so I seem to be in the minority among friends. It's just not my personal favorite.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice little turn from Revolver. Nice hazy golden color. Plenty of bubbles at the start. Nice mix of orange and honey, bit of clove in the taste. Thankfully not as cloying as other honey beers. Nice little beer.

3.52/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale golden color with a good amount of carbonation. Aroma is cloves and honey with notes of citrus peel. Flavor is biter sweet. You get the honey and the city's peel with a spicy clove like taste. The biggest issue I have is that you get these flavors but no flavor of the base beer. Overall this is a one and done for me.

2.43/5  rDev -35.2%

Sampled at GABF 2015

Really disappointed in this brew. Slight honey smell, faint honey richness on a sip that lingers for a bit. Sweetness immediately present on first sip. Mouthfeel comparable to an adjunct lager but with honey, and with less carbonation.

Overall, a sad offering from Revolver. Travesty even calling itself a wheat beer, as it demonstrates almost no wheat beer attributes. Only positive thing I can say about it is that its sweetness makes it approachable to non craft beer drinkers.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an effervescent straw color with 3 fingers of pearl white head. Slight haze, nice head retention & lacing

S: Breadyness, pears, grassynesss

T: Pears, honey crisp apples, & light breadyness, white grapes as well up front. Dryness, pears, faint lemon hoppyness as this warms. Finishes fruity, a little dry with some lemon

MF: Medium body with firm carbonation

Drinks easy for the ABV, did like this more on draft, but this well worth a try

This one was actually really surprising. I didn't ecpect to like it, but it was quite enjoyable. Lots of subtle sweetness from the honey and it pairs very well with the style. It didn't blow me away, but I would drink this again for sure.

4.23/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into wheat beer glass

L: yellow-orange, maybe 9-12 SRM, solid 1-inch head of white/offwhite foam ... sediment everywhere, beer is otherwise clear but the sediment is the main thing you see; little to no sticking or lacing; color is very nice, gold with just a pinch of red in it

S: grain, sour grain, honey ... lots of sweetness under the grain, orange and sweet grapefruit ... very nice; a little wheat banana, but the honey and citrus overpower it; the grain note sounds boring, but it's giving the nose a nice harmony

T: very sweet, lots of honey and grain like the nose but possibly even more sweet ... the citrus flavor is cool, and it's offering a bit of a twist off the traditional hefeweizen banana (which is in here if only as a minor note); grain background helps tame down the sweet, much like the nose

F: soft but full, very hefeweizenlike ... the beer pushes up a constant skin of foam, which softens the feel in a true Old World style

O: love this brew ... halfway through a six-pack, I'm itching to go get another; one of the best American-made wheat beers I've tried

3.91/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

August 26, 2015

12 oz bottle, pint glass

A – Deep golden and moderately hazy, maybe a touch of sediment floating in there. Pours medium-bodied. A limited white foam stand dissipates quickly, but the beer continues to effervesce.

S – Sweet, malty-grainy cracker aroma, definitely some honey or additional sugar in there. A caramel component is in the mix. A deep (blood?) orange aroma is prominent.

T – Orange and orange peel, like Curacao liqueur, with a touch of lime. Sweet malt flavor. If there’s a hop component, I can’t find it. The ingredients in play are very well-used.

M – Sweet, but dry enough to seem well-balanced. Moderate carbonation with a medium, slightly medium-full body. No bitterness.

O – My second time trying this, and much better this go-around. The namesake ingredients are used well. Would definitely drink again.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pale yellow color with a one finger head that recedes without leaving lacing. Aroma of citrus and honey, with honey being the dominant aspect of the smell. Taste is citrus and wheat with a sweet, honey dominated finish. The spices never came through. Medium body and medium carbonation with no aftertaste.
The honey kinda took over and minimized the blood orange and spices. It was smooth and easy to drink, but the orange might've opened up the beer some. Good effort by Revolver.

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my go to beers here in Dallas.
I am never disappointed.

B&H is very smooth and easy to drink. A very refreshing beer if that's what you're looking for. It's very sweet and a little tangy, but also has a boldness behind it that warms your body with every drink.

One of this area's better beers, in my opinion, and is now showing up in many restaurants and bars all around Dallas/Fort Worth which is great!

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%

An interesting beer here.

Drank a single left at my place after a party.

The taste actually reminds me a little bit of Pumpkinator for some reason....perhaps the cinnamon? An intriguing take of a wheat ale for sure. Tasty and refreshing.

I will buy it yes I will.

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Very tasty! Unique fruit and cinnamony taste. Odd at first taste but addictive. I will definitely be buying this again. Glad that it is now readily available in my part of Texas!

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm a little biased being from Texas but this beer is great.
Really refreshing but not light. When I first got this and the bartender said it was 7% I was shocked because it went down so nice.

Smells great, tastes great. You can taste the sweetness of the honey but it's not overwhelming by any stretch.
Highly recommend this on a hot summer day or any day really.

Cheer

4.11/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A very frothy murky pour with a big head. Smells great,mouth citrus and spice combined. Tastes like honey wheat with orange and lemon. A very bold version of any summer wheat ale that leaves a clean taste in your mouth. Love this beer!

2.32/5  rDev -38.1%

I am a little disappointed. I expected more. still better than Bud but at this price point and ingredients i expected more flavor, more punch more period

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #83 (Dec 2013):

A most original and complex unfiltered beer brewed with blood orange zest, local honey and spices. The zest is bold and bright, and provides an interesting balance for the residual honey and malty notes. Perhaps a bit too spiced for us, as we would have loved to see those oranges and honey play a bit more, but regardless, a solid and creative brew.

STYLE: American Wheat Ale
ABV: 7.0%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

LOOK: Hazy, pale yellow, thin white lacing

SMELL: Gummy, spice, honey, orange zest

TASTE: Medium bodied, slight chewiness, toasty, yeasty, honey, tangy, oranges, allspice, bready, dry; honey and spice linger

1.28/5  rDev -65.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Tastes like read meat simmering in honey.... The blood part of the name does not come from the blood orange peel.... To me it comes from meat blood....
One of the worst beers I have had in my life. I would take a PBR any time over this beer.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I didn't review this when I rated it. I liked it initially--had it on tap at the Dig Pub in Cedar Park. It was a fresh and a refreshing warm weather wheat beer with a prominent citrus aroma and flavor from the blood orange peels that were incorporated into the brewing process. I have bought a few six-packs of the bottled version since.

A few bottles have remained on my shelf for a couple of months and I am currently having one that was bottled on 9/8/15. Surprisingly, it has aged nicely with the flavor souring into an essentially farmhouse style. A significant pile of sediment has accumulated at the bottom that I don't remember being there previously. I don't know if this was intentional, but the character certainly is evolving with age.

Pretty impressed with Revolver thus far, with the other standout being Sidewinder.

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a hazy pale yellow with a very fizzy head. The smell was wonderful with a lot of spicy and zesty flavors coming through. Lemon peel and pepper seemed to come through heavy. The palate was nice with a bite from the hops being softened by the blood orange. refreshing and really nice for summertime.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Smells like a fireball shot. Kind of a shallow taste overall. Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty State! Boldest and grandest, Withstanding ev'ry test; O Empire wide and glorious, You stand supremely blest.

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

Definitely one of the most interesting pours I've seen . . . Creamy, foamy, frothy marshmallow head. Sediments are are over the place in this glass, almost like someone tossed a handful of dust in my glass, beautiful really ! Feel is pretty spectacular. Kinda sticky, creamy and smooth. So far I'm very pleased with this beer. Taste is impressive as well. Honey, citrus zest . . . Orange, lemon, grapefruit, grass shavings and others as well as some peppery spices. An oniony and garlic taste on the end. This is a pretty terrific beer that took me by surprise. Thank you @Chavez316 for this amazing extra.

The beer poured an opaque orange to straw yellow with a lot of sediment. I poured about 3/4 of it in my glass, activated the yeast, and poured the rest. The aroma was sweet and spicy with hints of cloves and orange. I may have detected a bit of honey in the sweet but it could have been my mind making me taste it due to the name. The taste was full of the same spice and orange all riding the honey sweet body. It was not like honey nut cheerios sweet but rather a good full beer sweetness. The orange and spice fully emerge as the beer warmed and even gave the Blood and Honey a bit of tartness. I could also detect the base wheat beer flavors of clove and bananas underneath the orange. The full bodied brew offered a wonderful take on a standard wheat beer. I love blood oranges and the blood and honey highlights those flavors. A winner in my book.

Revolver Blood And Honey from Revolver Brewing