Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by NeroFiddled on 02-01-2014

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
Reviews by NeroFiddled:
3.85/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Golser Märzen
,33l green glass bottle (not skunked), dated "23.03.14 21:21" on 04.01.14

I overpaid for this (€2) at a food cart in Vienna's Naschmarkt. I should have know better but I'd never seen the brand name before so I couldn't pass it by. Anyway, it's just a basic Euro lager parading as something more under the guise of the "Märzen" title. In fact, I'm not even sure if this fits our (American) style guidelines for the style... 11.9˚Plato and 4.9% abv? Märzen, no. Vienna lager, not quite. George Fix did mention in his Classic Beer Style Series book "Vienna•Märzen•Oktoberfest" a "Modern Viennese Mild", and I'd guess that's where I'd put this except that it doesn't bear any of the character of Vienna malt. No, this is simply a pils under the Märzen title, and the Pannonia Brauerei isn't the only brewery doing it. It seems like every other beer I tried with the "Märzen" designation was just a slightly malty pils. But at least there's that. It's got a good malt component. It's certainly not what I'd call rich, but the pils character is clear, and it's nicely bready. The hops are bumped up a bit as well, depending on what you compare it to, and it's got a nice herbal/spicy component to it. At a lower price I'd definitely enjoy it again, without disappointment knowing now what exactly it is.

Golser Märzen from Pannonia Brauerei Gols Gmbh
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.