Musk Of The Minotaur IPA | Hoof Hearted Brewing

hoofheartedbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by beesy on 03-27-2013

2.19/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

A friend picked up a 4 pack for me while up in Maine. Apparently they are randomly distributing there now. This beer is either no good, or I had a bad batch. Little to no aroma. Weird flavor that I can't put my finger on, just not pleasant. At all. Definitely picked up some diacetyl both in the taste and mouth feel. Buttery and slick. I won't be seeking this one out anytime in the future.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

3.44/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

32oz swing top filled on Sunday 03/24/13 from Weilands Market where keg was put on a day ahead of filling. Notes from 03/24 and 03/26.

A - pours a hazy light orange in color with a half a finger off white head that sticks around just long enough to notice it before retreating into the glass.

S - on 03/24 the nose was almost non-existent. On 03/26 a brush of cascade'ish citrus was detected before disappearing like a Saturday in mid-Spring in Ohio. Slightly fruity each day.

T - the first thing I notice is the large amount of the same malt flavors I found in the Voltan - I'm not sure if it's a lot of vienna or brown or aromatic malt or what (not as peanut buttery as the Voltan but more nutty - the chocolate and roast malts in the Voltan more than likely made it appear more peanut buttery than nutty) but for me it just complicates the beer too much. A fair amount of hop citrus in the mid-late to late palate but I'm fighting off the unusual malt profile that's overwhelming it. A noticeable hop bitterness that lingers slighlty and is fairly smooth. Malty.

M - medium-light on the tongue. Nothing out of the ordinary to speak of except fairly malt heavy.

D - fairly low for me. It took me two sessions to cash out a 32oz growler although remodeling work took over on Sunday.

Overall, a beer I've been wanting to try for so long but fell short of what I was expecting. The complicated malt profile confuses me even though I can appreciate the brewer making a beer he likes. I think the hop profile would be pretty darn good if the malts weren't confusing it - IMHO American IPA should be more simplistic on the malta, but that's just me opinion. I'm a little torn on the brewery right now and I really want them to get some kick ass stuff in my glass but I've really been working to try these beers and two I've had have let me down a bit.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is another Hoof beer that looks like pulpy lemonade, or a mimosa--considering we're here for another brunch, it's fitting. Webby but fluid lacing tends to slide downwards over time.

Musk is actually not as dank as other Hoof brews. Mellow tropical citrus hops in the aroma and flavor are the main takeaway, but it's not necessarily fruity or juicy like Konkey Dong. Third or fourth batch I've had of this dialed the dankness back up to the levels I had heard about previously, most notably on the nose.

A little corn, biscuit, graham, grape, light green pine and dankness with some orange lemon and guava on the palate.

It's a nice, dry IPA with light bitterness.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got as an extra in a trade. Pours out a light orange yellow color. Smells of pine, citrus, dankness and some light malt. Taste is the same. Very light drinking for the abv. Not a great IPA , but definitely not a bad one. Solid, but wouldn't seek out again.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1 PINT can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a golden in color with a few inches of creamy, white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

The smell has tropical and citrus fruits along with pine.

The taste has some citrus with a pine finish. The taste is a little underwhelming after all the hype that I have heard.

Medium

I really want to love this brewery considering their hype and the close proximity to my brewery barren existence. This beer is good but not as good as other IPA's to which I have easy access.

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

I feel like a broken record when reviewing Hoof Hearted IPAs: Super cloudy, orange juice appearance. A blend of fruit and pine in the aroma and mostly hoppy on the palate. I drank this after having a HH Jacuzzerooski and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference. Jacuzzerooski was maybe a little hoppier, but the differences between them are evolutionary, not revolutionary. Both good, but it would be nice to see some more variation.

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Musk Of The Minotaur IPA from Hoof Hearted Brewing