Genesee Cream Ale | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: Cream Ale

"Genny" Cream Ale.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Reviews: 540 | Ratings: 1,331

Other than a few German beers and of course living so close to Canada with the Labatts beer, I have very little experience with any foreign beers, but have tasted many American beers and find that "Genny" Cream ale is the best beer to drink at any time of the year.
It has a a wonderful look with a creamy head and a clean, fresh taste without being too strong or a watered down "lite". It has a smooth taste from start to finish and a clean smell and doesn't leave you smelling like a beer barrrel.
From the start to the finish the lightly cream feel, smooth taste a new feel stays with it.
I am not a fan at all of the regular "Genny" - Genesee beer, which seems to be popular with so many and seems to get all or most of the advertising dollar from the brewing company.
Like many others who have commented, I am amazed that Genesee Cream Ale does not get more advertising and thus more people trying it. It may be one of the most reasonably priced American beers, but balancing a wonderful taste with a great price, it will never disappoint... Unless you are a person who believes that the more you pay, the better it is ~ which is not true.
For my money, it is the best American beer there is!!!

4.86/5  rDev +58.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

For a nice creamy end of the day beer, it can't get better than the taste, price, and the amount compared to other American adjunct's and some low-end ales (see: 'Icees"). Those would include POabst [I do like as well, but I'm also a snob and a budget man.] I feel that for the price of a tallboy here in NJ: $1.07 for 5.1% ABV, and the Ice version at 5.5% ABV, both are viable choices if you're looking for a grill in the afternoon day, a tailgate, a relaxing beer after the day has passed. It's almost perfect for the price. I know a few who would prefer Bud lite, and even Natty Ice,, but I find the cream finish on the palate makes for a refreshing swig and enjoyable beer in comparison. Overall I really Genesee, and I might be biased, which no family member or friend has forced on me. I think it's a perfect daytime, afternoon, and Evening beer; though in the evening, you might want something heavier.

4.83/5  rDev +57.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This ale seems to taste better, as you progress your way toward the finish. It's as though the brew and my buds are in a process of reaching a common ground. The flavor reminds me of baked bread. With every chug - that foamy head leaves a new ring around the inside of my glass mug. I love those horizontal stripes! It is smooth, yet has plenty of flavor.

4.78/5  rDev +56.2%

Haven't had a Genny since we left Pennsylvania 20+ years ago. Just had some, in a bottle, over the weekend. To me, on a hot day when you're just having fun, no American beer can beat an ice cold Gennie. It is a vert refreshing beer.

4.6/5  rDev +50.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Color: pours and sits clear gold

Smell: very clean and crisp. very mild sweetness. little to no hops. some adjunct detected

Taste: crisp and clean like a lager but some obvious citrus notes. somewhat dry

Mouthfeel: light body. moderate carbonation

Notes: excellent beer to bridge the gap from lagers to ales. does just what the style is intended to do. really prepares you to experience the different flavors ale yeast offers.

4.6/5  rDev +50.3%

one of the best I have had from this brewery. Golden color with a medium head. Smell of corn and cream. Tastes very smooth. Mouthful is very smooth and creamy. Drinkabilty is wonderful. A 6.99 a six pack this beer is a really good steal. Would recommend this beer for you average joe

4.47/5  rDev +46.1%

As in a previous review I agree that it appeals to many every day beer drinkers. It has a very nice head with an exceptional color of amber. Goes down very smooth. I picked up a 30 pack @ Consumers Beer Depot in Milwaukee. Wish I would have purchased 3 or 4 @11.99.

4.47/5  rDev +46.1%

Have been drinking this ale for years. Tasts refreshing, and makes a nice head in a glass. A great beer for the price.

Have been disappointed lately with the new can exterior graphic design. Makes it look "generic" or something purchased at a Dollar Store. Although the great taste of the ale beer, I would be embarassed to ofer it to a friend, it looks soooo... cheap.

4.45/5  rDev +45.4%

Drank this one straight from the 40oz bottle, purchased for about $2.00! Can't see the brew, so I'll rate the label as "good."

Smells slightly malty and hoppy. No offensive smells at all!

Tastes pretty darn good, I can see why this is a medal winner! Very smooth, good malty taste with a slightly bitter finish.

Great mouthfeel, just the right amount of CO2. Not harsh at all. Very drinkable! One of the easiest 40's to down. I would like to try this again, especially if I can find it on tap. What a value!

4.43/5  rDev +44.8%

this beer i have had in a can, bottle and draft, all have been great, this beer is not loved by many, but its hard to find and when i do i buy alot, love the stuff, awsome lawnmower beer!!!!, it must be cold our it imparts a somewhat sour taste, but overall good taste,

4.42/5  rDev +44.4%

This is one of my perennial favorites going back to the early 70's. Nothing like a couple of "Jennies" on a hot summer day! Light in color,a very pleasant aroma, great taste. A more than one beer, and not bad even straight from the can! Well known in the New York Metro area.

4.4/5  rDev +43.8%

Genesee Cream Ale
Head: Thin white foam dosn't hang on verry long.
Body: Clear yellowish tint .
Taste: Smothe light creemy flavor slight bit of malt.
Aftertaste was mello and refreshning.

Good for this style, watch out for the "Genee scremers".

4.38/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I just picked up a 24 oz can for around a buck at a local gas station.

I always saw the can mixed in with all the horrible low-end Keystone shit and assumed it was a terrible beer. Boy, how wrong I was.

This is an amazing beer for the price.
It's like a great domestic refreshing lager, but with extra creaminess and substance.

I still can't believe I missed this. My new go-to on the cheap.

4.37/5  rDev +42.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A good everyday kind of beer that is more complex and tastes better than a lot of people give it credit for. Nothing mind blowing here just good simple beer you can enjoy at a excellent price.

4.3/5  rDev +40.5%

I think that, though not obviously the pinnacle of anything, this beer is somewhat iconic. It is underrated, cheap, and fills a niche that some people believe only this brand can...it is a classic and I love my forest green simplicity...hey it Genny...

4.29/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of the old school greats . Every time me and the boys are hammering a case or 2 I have fond memories of my father and all his foul mouthed dirty ass jokes . The price is great and the the taste of pure nostalgia . One of the few great thing to come out of NY

4.27/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ok, so I am fairly new to beer at an older age. I was always a spiced rum drinker, and only recently started to develop that acquired taste for beer. To start my preference in beers is a non-filling, light bodied, clean, non-"hoppy" brew. My current favorites are Land Shark and Miller Lite.
I stopped by the distributor tonight and saw genny cream ale for 15.00 a 30 pack... I have never heard anyone say "yuk" regarding Genesee Cream Ale, & since my kids have a habit of taste testing my beer, I thought I would try something cheap.
The box looks generic, but the 12oz cans are kind of classic looking. I tried two from the can, and poured one into a 10 oz wine style glass.
Look: Lightly golden with carbonation bubbles lasting through the last sip and a quickly dissolving 1 1/2 inch loose foam head which remained as a thin foam layer throughout my drinking experience.
Smell: Apples, wheat, grass, and a bit of hops. Nothing to make me wonder why I bought it!
Taste: Heavier than a typical light beer and kind of close to a Coors Original. It has a nice sweetness, with a creamy feel in the mouth. Not bitter, it finishes with a crisp dry flavor. It doesn't go down fast, rather it remains on the palate and back of throat for a moment. As a new beer drinker, I don't understand "feel", but after 3 of these it feels pretty good!
In conclusion, I like this beer. It is perfect for a night at the fire or a party with friends camping. I felt that it offered a good flavor, and rank it higher than bud, keystone, pbr, red stripe, miller highlife, and several other cheap level beers. It has a flavor that seems to me to be unique, yet easy to drink. Worth keeping for those days when you work on the car or yard, or get home from a day of work. It may become my inexpensive go to beer!

4.19/5  rDev +36.9%

I love this beer. I remember having this when I was younger (underage) and hating it. For years I stayed away from even trying this. But a few weeks ago I bought a 6 pack of tallboys and I've been in love with it ever since. I can buy a 6 pack of tallboys for $3.99 and you just can't beat this for the price. It is a damn good beer after a long day at work or just pounding some with friends on the weekend. I've been converting some of my buddies at work to this beer and to a person they all agree it's better than they remember. If you want a good beer for a great price then this is a beer you should try. I've had it straight out of the can and have poured it into a pint glass either way you can't go wrong.

A- golden in color
S- smells like a lager without the wet veggy aroma
T- smooth with a touch of bitterness on the back end
M- clean a bit creamy with a refreshing feel
O- I love this beer. One of my favorites. Way better beer than the price you pay.

4.19/5  rDev +36.9%

I truly do not think this brew deserves all of the lack-luster reviews it gets. I defy anyone to find a better ale for $11.99/30 pack. Yep, that's right....this one is currently selling at Sam The Beer Man in Binghamton @ $12 for 30 cans. Unfortunately in these times, the budget often dictates my choice at Sam's. But having said that, sometimes I grab these even when I can afford more. Far superior to all of the other choices at this price, and the flavor and drinkability are well above average. With the 5.10 abv, these can surely get the job done, but are also perfect for that saturday afternoon bbq. All in all, a very nice everyday brew that never disappoints. Just ice 'em down and let 'em flow!!

4.18/5  rDev +36.6%

Let me start by saying I am an amateur, with that out of the way:
This economical beer has creaminess to it, and is very drinkable; very balanced between bitter hops & sweetness. An Ale with a Lager feel to it.

Worthy Award Winning NOTE: Genesee Cream Ale has won WORLD BEER CUP Gold medals in 1990 & 1991, Silver medals in 1987, 1988, 1993, 1994 & 2005, and Bronze in 1995, 2002, & 2004 at the Great American Beer Festival.

Got this at a drug store, and to my surprise they had a price error, the whole 30 pack cost just $3.99+ thank you for your error it tasted better knowing I just got a Super deal ;)

4.13/5  rDev +35%

You know, I am pretty much a beer snob. I like the high end micros and complain about bud miller or coors whenever I get the chance. Yet there is just something splendid about Genesee Cream Ale.

Whether I am drinking one in the dead of winter or the heat of summer I always find it to be an easy drinking example of the style.

When I could not find it locally I even cloned a homebrew recipe for it so that I could make it whenever I wanted.

I love this beer

4.1/5  rDev +34%

I have a tradition. On Super Bowl Sunday I go to Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar on Main Street in Buffalo to pick up some original Chicken Wings. While waiting for my order I enjoyed a nice Genny Cream because I thought it would make the experience most authentic. The Ale had a very pleasant bright yellow appearance. Its bouquet was subtle. It was very refreshing to drink served ice cold. It is certainly different from the more complex beers I've been samplind lately, yet I really enjoyed it for what it was.

4.1/5  rDev +34%

this beer is meant to drink from the can - my quintessential camping, fishing beer - so much better than other macro products- i've had it on tap, but i gotta say, i like it better straight out of the can, and pretty cold at that - by those standards, this is my favorite all-day beer in the spring and summer months - a great
value in a sweet beer!

4.06/5  rDev +32.7%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, the head settles to about an inch of off-white froth. The body is golden, with a few bubbles rising to the top, but not many.

Smell: Sour at first, a bit like sour cream. It is slightly metallic, with a faint trace of hops. Not great, but not bad.

Taste: Like toasty malts, with very slight hop bitterness. There's not a lot going on here, but nothing at all objectionable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy to drink. Mine seems a little flat, but it was a cold ride home and this beer may have frozen just a little bit.

Overall: This is a very simple beer--it is also an incredible bargain. I have had beers over triple the cost of "Genny Cream" that were nowhere near as good. I have yet to find a better bang for the buck--this brew makes BMC's comperable offerings look like highway robbery by comparison, as it is both of a superior quality and a much lower price.

A real winner here. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

In Western NY state, they just about give this stuff away, which has gained it a bad reputation. However, at only $3.99 a sixer, it is one of the best bargains out there. I'll take a Genny screamer over any of the big name macros any day.

The beer is a full-bodied, somewhat heavy, bold tasting ale. It has a medium-dark golden colored body, a thick, rich head, and a smooth feel with a touch of bite. Taste has the typical bite and slight bitterness of an ale, with the smooth texture of a cream stout. Yes, it is cheap, mass produced beer, and even if you didn't see the price tag, there are hints of this fact in the somewhat unpleasant aftertaste you get if you drink more than a couple of these. That said, it is however great for a cheap beer, and even very good compared to mid range mass market beers.

Not a beer to guzzle, or to get a buzz on...too heavy...but great to enjoy one or two with a nice stogie, or by itself if you enjoy a that smooth yet bitter texture. Basically, it's the poor man's Boddingtons...a creamy, bitey ale at a bargain price.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.