Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Genesee Cream Ale | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review
Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States | website

Style: Cream Ale

"Genny" Cream Ale.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Reviews: 533 | Ratings: 1,318
4.86/5  rDev +58.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

For a nice creamy end of the day beer, it can't get better than the taste, price, and the amount compared to other American adjunct's and some low-end ales (see: 'Icees"). Those would include POabst [I do like as well, but I'm also a snob and a budget man.] I feel that for the price of a tallboy here in NJ: $1.07 for 5.1% ABV, and the Ice version at 5.5% ABV, both are viable choices if you're looking for a grill in the afternoon day, a tailgate, a relaxing beer after the day has passed. It's almost perfect for the price. I know a few who would prefer Bud lite, and even Natty Ice,, but I find the cream finish on the palate makes for a refreshing swig and enjoyable beer in comparison. Overall I really Genesee, and I might be biased, which no family member or friend has forced on me. I think it's a perfect daytime, afternoon, and Evening beer; though in the evening, you might want something heavier.

4.78/5  rDev +56.2%

Haven't had a Genny since we left Pennsylvania 20+ years ago. Just had some, in a bottle, over the weekend. To me, on a hot day when you're just having fun, no American beer can beat an ice cold Gennie. It is a vert refreshing beer.

Go-to cheap beer for this former Lehigh student. Much better than Natty, more alcoholic, and can be purchased for less than $15 for a 30 rack. Optimal beer to bring to parties. Won't pretend it tastes, smells, or feels great, etc., but this is your beer on a budget.

3.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Paid 2 bucks for the monster 24oz of this since I never had it. Guy at the register talked me into another one since it was 2 for 3 bucks. He pretty much told me its not bad but you have to drink it fast. Head is actually stand out it makes for a bit of lacing which I didn't expect and its a bit darker than your typical BMC. Smell is a bit of a let down some sweetness buried under lager like sunkiness. Taste is actually pretty good sweet cream malts and a touch of corn makes it surprisingly easy to pound.

Overall a notch over typical BMC with good sweetness rounding out your basic corn flavor.

2.54/5  rDev -17%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

The flagship of the genny lineup, in my opinion, it's basically one of those run of the mill American mass produced beers with some sort of cream added and ale yeast. And it beats my rating for just about every one of them. Definitely worth a try, and if you bring a thirty rack to tailgate at the Ralph you'll be very popular.

3.72/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Look - pretty good. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Small, but well defined good looking head. Bubbling seems to slow dramatically after initial pour.

Smell - Standard smell nothing offensive, nothing special.

Taste - Very good. Initial taste is pretty standard, which I like. It's like a summer movie that you don't have to think too much about, just sit back and enjoy. It has a slight metallic finish which should detract greatly from the experience... but here's the weird thing about it... that metallic finish (somehow) actually complements the flavor. I find this incredibly strange, but somehow it works extremely well.

Feel - very basic. Lacks the amount of carbonation that I would like, but still seems fairly pleasant.

Overall - pretty good. This is what I call a lawnmower beer, and I judged it as such. Imagine mowing your lawn after work on a warm spring day at the start of baseball season. This is a beer you'd like to sip on the porch, admiring your work before the night's game.

3.01/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured 12oz can into snifter glass. 5.1% abv

Appearance- Pours a light gold with large course bubbled head slow to dissipate. As clear as a beer gets, like crystal.

Smell- Corn malt, cooked veggies, straw.

Taste- A grainy and cooked malt. Malt clams the palate. Slightly grassy. Just a touch of cream soda but not easy to discern. Finished crisp with a bitter yet boiled off hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Thin in body with active carbonation.

Overall- Not too bad if you have to go macro. Not big on quality but drinkable. Very cheap beer, hence very cheap taste. I'd select a different macro lager if I had to buy one. Much more lagery than ale like for sure.

Other than a few German beers and of course living so close to Canada with the Labatts beer, I have very little experience with any foreign beers, but have tasted many American beers and find that "Genny" Cream ale is the best beer to drink at any time of the year.
It has a a wonderful look with a creamy head and a clean, fresh taste without being too strong or a watered down "lite". It has a smooth taste from start to finish and a clean smell and doesn't leave you smelling like a beer barrrel.
From the start to the finish the lightly cream feel, smooth taste a new feel stays with it.
I am not a fan at all of the regular "Genny" - Genesee beer, which seems to be popular with so many and seems to get all or most of the advertising dollar from the brewing company.
Like many others who have commented, I am amazed that Genesee Cream Ale does not get more advertising and thus more people trying it. It may be one of the most reasonably priced American beers, but balancing a wonderful taste with a great price, it will never disappoint... Unless you are a person who believes that the more you pay, the better it is ~ which is not true.
For my money, it is the best American beer there is!!!

3.13/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This is the best bad beer around...if that makes any sense.
I'm not even going to try and break it down since I'm usually drinking these out of the can at a bluegrass festival or something else of that nature. No off flavors to speak of and has an excellent creamy mouth feel. Goes down easy and is great when paired with a good cocktail.

3.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Bought 1st night in Las Vegas as it was the a cold beer I could buy and have with our pizza (which was good).
Quite malt forward. Hops seem to be for balance only. No discernible hop flavor, bitterness or aroma. Carbonation was quite excessive, even upon pouring. Classic appearance.
This went fine with the meal. Nothing to search for, but at $1.29 for a 24oz can it worked just fine.

3.67/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden color with a lot of streaming bubbles of carbonation. Rocky white and quickly dissipating head.

Sweet corn and white bread on the smell.

Taste is sweet and creamy malts with a bit of a peppery play that comes not at the end but about mid tongue.

Mouthfeel was awesome with a slightly medium body and a wet finish making for a refreshing drink of beer.

Overall I found this to be a beer that I could easily purchase again. Especially since I only paid about $15 for 12 of the big 24 oz. cans.

3.13/5  rDev +2.3%

L: Pale yellow straw & grainy, nice, rich 2 finger head into 16 oz pint tumbler.

S: Corn husk, and basic barley nothing offsensive here. Just another one of your daddy's beers he used to drink.

T: Lots of corn at the base, plenty of malt, which in my opinion is refreshing & subtle.

F: Keyword here is the cream, towards the end that creamy texture really stands out from the first sip.

Overall: Picked this up for $8.99/12pk and I'm still scratching my head as to why this gem of a brew isn't given more cred!? It's really just your basic, "chill" beer when you don't feel like hop bombing yourself to sleep with juggernaut DIPA's . Never sell out Genesee, keep the tradition alive.

2.28/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

One of those weak straw yellow pours with a white head, somewhat bready, grainy, corny, flowery aroma that wasn't something you want to smell when you are just waking up, that's for sure.

Taste was not really much like a cream ale. Too bitter for its lack of hopping. Massive carbonation also doesn't smooth it out. This is just as bad was BMC stuff, but without the lager yeast and a weird something going on. Has a prickly burn that I don't associate with cream ales.

3.05/5  rDev -0.3%

Consumed on a hot day. Smells of bread malts and some cereal. Head lasted on this one. This is a decent beer for the style, in fact it's my first cream ale. I'm sure as my palate evolves there will be better ones to be had.

1.61/5  rDev -47.4%

The only other cream ale I've had was Little Kings that I'd sneak from my dad's stash as a teenager. Genesee's Cream Ale was far less creamy than the LK that I remember. Not creamy at all, in fact. Very little aroma or flavor, the carbonation burn was what left the greatest impression. Certainly, this would be a refreshing beverage on a hot day and other reviewers seem to consider it a good deal (I paid a buck & a half for a single can just to try it). I'll try it again if I ever get near the brewery...there's always the chance that I got a can that was old and not in its prime. Mine had no head to speak of, even tho I poured it into a glass.

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

My dad has been drinking this since he started drinking, which was some time ago now, long before I was born, and insisted I try this. One of his favorites I think. And apparently my great grandparents lived near where this stuff is made, many decades ago. Of course, I'm JustLikeMyDad and had to try it.

Looks average, no special color, like any other "cheap" American beer. Foam head is moderate, depending how aggressive you are with the pour.
Smells almost fruity, maybe malty, not a strong smell to it, but slightly better than your average cheap of cheap beers.
Tastes fruity with a slight hop bitter taste and aftertaste. Not strong bitter, but it's there. First initial taste was okay, but like another reviewer mentions, it seems to get better as you drink it.
Moderate carbonation, drinks smooth. Not a creamy feel I was expecting despite the name.

Overall, for a little over a dollar for a 24fl oz can, it's not bad. Easy to drink anytime. I can see why my dad likes it.

3.54/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nonic pint from 24 oz brown bag can.

Look : Golden blonde with 10% opacity. Towering stark white 3 finger head, receding slowly and leaving hilly lace behind.

Smell : Banana, Nilla Wafers, some stale malt/corn, and the dusting of a hop plant.

Taste : Fairly unremarkable. It starts with some washed out cereal grain malt and a bit of bubblegum, ending with a polite hop bite. The aftertaste isn't really great, either.

Feel : Creamy and smooth, all the way to the finish. Moderately carbonated.

Overall : For all the hype this beer gets, this was really a disappointing try. I'd have it again in a pinch as it's not terrible, but it's not even close to decent or good.

3.46/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Light, golden colored body; lots of slow rising carbonation; two-finger thick head. Grain husk and toasted bread crust aroma. The taste follows along the same lines as the aroma with the addition of a mild hop bitterness; seems a bit herbal. Generally light bodied; dry finish.

Not a bad little beer for what it is. It seems to have a bit more taste to it than from what I can recall from decades ago. There is just enough taste and balance to make for a respectable drinking experience.

3.3/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- Translucent yellow with a crown that clings to the glass for dear life.

S- Corn & cereal grains. The slightly fuesil alcohol tinge leads to an impression of Grapenuts & Molasses.

T- Grapenuts & a slight hop tinge... it's realy quite sweet in the middle.

F- Creamy initially with a slightly crisp finish. The aftertaste is a bit like stale cornflakes.

O- You can't diss a classic. This beer is as American as it gets... very much an iconic beer that's worth experiencing.

4.83/5  rDev +57.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This ale seems to taste better, as you progress your way toward the finish. It's as though the brew and my buds are in a process of reaching a common ground. The flavor reminds me of baked bread. With every chug - that foamy head leaves a new ring around the inside of my glass mug. I love those horizontal stripes! It is smooth, yet has plenty of flavor.

4.27/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ok, so I am fairly new to beer at an older age. I was always a spiced rum drinker, and only recently started to develop that acquired taste for beer. To start my preference in beers is a non-filling, light bodied, clean, non-"hoppy" brew. My current favorites are Land Shark and Miller Lite.
I stopped by the distributor tonight and saw genny cream ale for 15.00 a 30 pack... I have never heard anyone say "yuk" regarding Genesee Cream Ale, & since my kids have a habit of taste testing my beer, I thought I would try something cheap.
The box looks generic, but the 12oz cans are kind of classic looking. I tried two from the can, and poured one into a 10 oz wine style glass.
Look: Lightly golden with carbonation bubbles lasting through the last sip and a quickly dissolving 1 1/2 inch loose foam head which remained as a thin foam layer throughout my drinking experience.
Smell: Apples, wheat, grass, and a bit of hops. Nothing to make me wonder why I bought it!
Taste: Heavier than a typical light beer and kind of close to a Coors Original. It has a nice sweetness, with a creamy feel in the mouth. Not bitter, it finishes with a crisp dry flavor. It doesn't go down fast, rather it remains on the palate and back of throat for a moment. As a new beer drinker, I don't understand "feel", but after 3 of these it feels pretty good!
In conclusion, I like this beer. It is perfect for a night at the fire or a party with friends camping. I felt that it offered a good flavor, and rank it higher than bud, keystone, pbr, red stripe, miller highlife, and several other cheap level beers. It has a flavor that seems to me to be unique, yet easy to drink. Worth keeping for those days when you work on the car or yard, or get home from a day of work. It may become my inexpensive go to beer!

2.61/5  rDev -14.7%

For how cheap this beer is at around $15 for a 30 pack you cant beat it! Its definitely a great bang for your buck! Pours a golden appearance with a slightly lingering head that dissipates as it warms up! The initial aroma is clean water and a small hop bitterness! Bubbly and highly carbonated! It is brewed in Rochester, New York brewed by North American Breweries! Tastes sweet and has a dry hop finishbut its crisp clean and refreshing! A light to medium mouthfeel!

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

How have I never had this before? This beer's a classic and when I saw it at the relatively-new Total Wine up in River Edge the other night, I finally decided to give it a go. It was only $3.99 for a sixer of these so I figured I had nothing to lose and all I asked for was that this ended up on the level of Miller High Life and Pabst Blue Ribbon. Sure enough, it did and there's no doubt that this will be one of my cheap "go to" beers in the future when I just want to kick back and enjoy something without being hit over the head any way, shape, or form.

Nice golden pour to this with a moderately creamy (no pun intended) white head and a ring of lacing around the top of the glass. Light aroma to this of bread, cream, and light fruit with the same in the taste. No indication of any corn or rice fuller as this beer tasted as fresh as could be for the style and finished clean as well. Smooth, creamy, and light, there wasn't any presence of hops in the nose or taste and this went down as easily as could be. Somewhat dry, this easily beat out any of the macro lagers that would inevitably be compared to this while having just the right amount of carbonation.

There was enough alcohol in here but at the same time, I'd consider this to be a great example of a session beer. There's no way that this would offend anyone and for a cheap alternative to the heavier, darker, and hoppier beers that I tend to prefer, this would be one of the first examples that I'd reach for. A smooth brew that's as unoffensive as anything that I've ever reviewed for this site.

2.7/5  rDev -11.8%

smell has a hint of hops, tastes of sweet rice and earthy yeast. drink in a glass, so the nose will help. this beer is way better than major labels and it's dirt cheap. it drinks smooth, but for me a bit too sweet, maybe not for others. for the price it's incredible, so it has great value. brand has nostalgia for many.

4.38/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I just picked up a 24 oz can for around a buck at a local gas station.

I always saw the can mixed in with all the horrible low-end Keystone shit and assumed it was a terrible beer. Boy, how wrong I was.

This is an amazing beer for the price.
It's like a great domestic refreshing lager, but with extra creaminess and substance.

I still can't believe I missed this. My new go-to on the cheap.
Cheers.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.