Genesee Cream Ale | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: 12 oz. can
Glassware: Mug
Purchased: 12-pack from Kroger, White House, TN

I've never had a Genesee beer before and was looking for a canned beer to make beer-can chicken. This one fit the bill as it was in a can, cheap, and a beer I was curious to try. I like the old-school graphics on the can too.

Big white head of 5 fingers and lots of bubbles are seen in this bright and clear golden beer. Good lacing and head retention.

The aromas are a bit weak but are clean and crisp - pilsener type malts and some grassy notes from a light hop presence. The taste is nothing very remarkable, with a slight sweetness and pretty much no bitterness to speak of. There's really nothing offensive in the taste, but there's not a lot to say about it either.

Mouthfeel is refreshing and clean, with a light body and moderate carbonation. Aftertaste is on the sweet side, but not overly so.

Overall this is a simple but pleasant beer. It made some very good beer-can chicken and I enjoyed drinking it while cooking. A good summertime lawnmower beer for sure!

2.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A: pours light straw, head surprised me by lasting longer than thirty seconds yet wasn't any larger than a finger.
S: not much but grainy malt and a touch of yeast.
T: grain malt, a bit sweet, low hop bitterness.
M: thin, a small step above watery, a bit prickly carbonation.
O: glad I tryed it, its not nasty but not great either.

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%

24-oz can into 20-oz mug

A - huge frothy white head over crystal clear golden yellow; plenty of rising bubbles

S - smells like an adjunct lager; mostly grain; strong alcohol presence

T - lightly sweetened malt; alcohol; light hop appearance in the finish; smooth and refreshing

M - light-bodied with high carbonation; creamy

O - nothing special here

2.88/5  rDev -5.9%

24 oz "tall boy" can from Grocery Oulet,Salem. 99cents Poured into a shaker glass. Pale golden beer with a very nice sized white frothy head.Also leaves good lace down the glass. Aroma? paper,corn and veggie. Taste..semi sweet, doughy, a little hay..plain and simple. Not bad on the palate..lowish carbonation makes this palatable. Overall plain cheap beer. Not as good as i remembered from the 1990s..but still a respectable effort for a 99 cent tallboy.

3.48/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a 30 pack of Genesee Cream Ale last week at Meijers for $13.99. I was looking for something in a can for beer can chicken, I have never seen this beer around before, I think it may be new to the area. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks good, I like the font they used. It poured a pale straw yellow color with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind.

S- The aroma is that of a typical macro adjunct lager. The aroma is pretty much dominated by the adjuncts, mainly sweet corn, but there is also a pretty prominent grainy aroma. I also picked up a slight bitt of grassy hops that you normally don't find in macro adjuncts.

T- The tastes starts out with a cereal like graininess followed by that typical adjunct sweet corn that I picked up in the aroma. The adjuncts have a nice moderate sweetness to them and the pale malts help balance that out. There is a very slight metallic taste along with an equally slight grassy hop flavor that made for a very slight but pleasant bitterness on the finish.

M- Crisp, creamy, and light bodied just like it should be. The carbonation was also very nice.

Overall I thought this was a good Cream Ale and the best one I have had to date. It was a pretty light and subtle flavored brew that had awesome drinkability, I could drink more then a couple of these during the day, especially during a couple rounds of disc golf, its goes down smooth and is quite refreshing which makes for a good session beer. Even though this is a cream ale and not an adjunct lager I still feel they are both in the same league and are very similar and when comparing this with the macro lagers the cream ale comes out on top, all the flavors that are there are nice and unoffensive just like it should be, I would take one of these over any of the major macros any day of the week. I would buy this again it makes for a good session beer and it was an excellent choice for beer can chicken. If you are looking for a light refreshing and sessionable cream ale then grab a genny cream. After buying this on a whim for beer can chicken I have become a fan of this beer and it is now my go to light session ale, everything is simple but done well.

2.78/5  rDev -9.2%

Pour revealed a one finger head of pure white foam with moderate clinging lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Lots of little bubbles in this brew. Smell is a bit sweet, with aromas of malt, corn, and very light scent of hops. Taste is also a little sweet malt, boiled corn, rice, with a slight tinge of grapefruit and pine. Mouthfeel is a little watery, but the carbonation has a good effect. While this beer is not a sample of something I would give to special beer drinking guests. I would keep some on hand in the hot Georgia summer days when I had to venture out and work in the yard. And for the price, this beer is not bad at all.

3.1/5  rDev +1.3%

Was really slumming it last night, makes you appreciate the good stuff a lot more

Pours a clear yellow with a short head and no lacing.

Smells of cereal grains and adjuncts. Not a bad smell

Taste is cereal malts, slight metallic twang and yeast. Leaves a metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is fine, not too thick or thin, but a horrid aftertaste.

Overall, its fine. Glad I got one can from the bar and don't have 5 more to get rid of.

2.37/5  rDev -22.5%

Straw yellow pour, white head, aroma was of corn, grits, mild flowers.

Can't really tell what makes this a cream ale from the taste, creamed corn maybe, tastes much like macro without the high levels of carbonation. Maybe that's what makes it a smooth cream ale or something, the lack of carbonation. Lacks hops.

Priced somewhere between macro and craft, that is somewhat admirable, but really, no quality of the beer other than its price is, and given that fact, (or opinion) it isn't really priced well all things considered (what am I, Nina Totenberg?)

3.19/5  rDev +4.2%

Golden beer with a wispy head that quickly dissolves. Smells of sweet, roasted vegetables. Flavors of sweet corn and fruit nectar. Decent, creamy body. Way cheaper than a macro lager and more enjoyable to drink. Not something I'll be having very often, but I'll certainly opt for it over an adjunct.

3.38/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my grandfather's favorite beer. He's been drinking this since I don't know when. anyway the beer pours out as a clear pale yellow color with some head that fades instantly. The smell is a little sweet mostly malts on the nose. The taste has a decent creaminess to it but nothing too over the top here. The mouthfeel has a good amount of carbonation to keep this one alive. The beer for me is respectable because of my grandfather. He drinks it so I drink it with him too it's a bonding moment with Genny.

3.02/5  rDev -1.3%

A - pours a pale straw color, pretty clear. about an inch or so of foamy white head. good bit of carbonation. very typical of the style.

S - sweet corn and grain malts. better than an average adjunct in my opinion.

T/M - the flavor is mainly based upon the creamy pale malts, sweet corn and grain. no real hop presence except a slight bitterness towards the back end which makes the beer crisp and refreshing. a little fuller than the average macro. moderately carbonated.

Overall not a bad macro, certainly better than any BMC product. pretty good quality for a cheap price.

3.35/5  rDev +9.5%

A can poured into a pint glass.

A: Pretty typical Macro lager coloring here, even though this is an ale (with the smoothness of a lager.) An actual head develops upon the pour and, by god, it even lingers for a little while. No apparent lacing from the head. A tiny bit of lacing occurs during drinking.

S: Smells like a typical macro lager as well. The nose is pretty much all adjunct and noticeably corny in aroma.

T: Now here is where the cream ale shines. The flavor is vastly superior to just about all other major beer companies offerings. This actually taste like something. It is sweet and mildly like corn chips. It is a tiny bit bitter upon finish and also thirst quenching. The dominating taste is corn though.

M: It is more "creamy" than other major brews and less offensive with over abundant carbonation.

O: For a cheap mainstream beer this is pretty much what I always pick up. $14 a 30 rack is pretty cheap for a beer that absolutely trumps all Bud, Miller, and Coors. This beer holds a special place in my heart and is usually the one I go after when I am looking for cheap beer, although PBR gets me sometimes too. Good stuff for what it is.

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%

I'm gonna say it. It's an 'old timer ale,' but there's nothing wrong with that! Pours a pale golden color with a big quickly receding head, lacing slides down to meet the beer. Big corn smell, also smells very lager-y. The taste meets it there and if I weren't looking at that can I'd guess it's a lager. Now that I look at the can it claims at me: "Flavor of a fine ale and the smoothness of a premium lager. I can't pinpoint the ale-ness, but I'd agree it drinks like a lager. Crisp carbonation, light body. What you would call 'an outdoor beer.' I gotta say, I'm not big on it knowing what else is out there in the category.

3.2/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear light gold with a 1/2 finger foamy white head. Decent lacing. Typical adjunct lager look.

Smell: Sweet grain and malt. Smells very much like an adjunct lager.

Taste: Sweet grain up front followed by pale malt in the middle before finishing with a very light amount of hops at the finish. Aftertaste is very light and non-offensive.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Goes down smooth.

Drinkability: Good drinkability. Goes down very easy. You could knock back several of these without much trouble.

Overall: Decent beer for a hot summer day. While I'm not familiar with the cream ale style, I feel like I've definitely had the style before in the form of adjunct lager. This isn't something I'd seek out, but it's a nice alternative to BMC when looking to drink several beers over the course of a hot summer day.

3.23/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma is pretty unremarkable. Has a bit of a cooked veggie adjunct smell to it...smattering of hops. Not all that much different from your typical macro.

The taste has a bit of a cooked veggie adjunct quality to it, along with a somewhat creamy lactose sweetness that helps to finish out the beer. There really aren't any hops I can detect here...not crisp at all.

I liked the creaminess...and it's definitely very drinkable. I wouldn't say that it's a top tier beer or anything but it's certainly better than other cheap beers at this price point. I mean 5.29 a 6 pack??

2.6/5  rDev -15%

A-Pours golden yellow with a slight bleach white head. Leaves lacing.

S-Sweet aroma. Rather mellow. Overall, a somewhat decent smell.

T-Has the standard macro feel, but a bit fuller and more depth. Has those generic tastes, but is sweeter. Not as watery or metallic.

M-This is where the cream comes into play. A good deal thicker than most beers found packaged in a 30.

O/D-I am a bit torn. If I am to purchase a 30-pack, I am clearly buying some rather low quality beer. If I am going to do this, I want to spend as little money as possible. This beer is very inexpensive. But, I have trouble drinking several of these. The flavor seems to be an upgrade from the rest, but after a few it gets much harder to drink. I could conceivably opt to purchase a more watered-down macro because I will at least be able to drink more than four.

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Had to grab a second bottle o' this after the one I was gonna try was nicked by my girlfriend after she demeaned by homebrewed ESB. The nerve of some people, right? Anyway, it pours a clear straw topped by a finger of stark white foam. The nose comprises wheat, corn, and a touch of sweet flowers. The taste bases itself on this successful novel, but the director went too damn avant-garde with it, resulting in a campy, Hackers-like hard water flavor dousing the whole production and a sad excuse for an opening pull. Those poor investors...and to to think they'd just gotten over the calamity of Insidious... The body is a light with pretensions of heft, with a very light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a pretty okay cream ale, but that hard water flavor ruins things a bit too much for my liking. Still, it somehow retains a good amount of its drinkability, so, though I don't think I'll be grabbing a case o' this any time soon, I won't spit on someone if they offer it to me later on.

3.2/5  rDev +4.6%

Genesee Cream Ale is a typical "Cheap" beer in every way. It has a typical head that pours thick and dissipates quickly. It smells like every cheap beer that I've ever smelled, smells like. I think it's corn and grain. The taste is a little better than other cheap beers because it does taste creamy. Oddly enough I don't get a creamy mouth feel, just a typical fizzy bubbly feel. Overall this beer is average. It's drinkable and for $1.00 it's worth a try.

3.13/5  rDev +2.3%

Genesee's Cream Ale from 24oz can into standard 16oz pint. Pours golden straw color, with a fizzy white head that doesnt stick around for long. smells like grains, corn, and a bit of musk. Tastes pretty good to be such a cheap offering. Light malts, a bit of steamed veggies, corn husks, and a strange lactose like presense. Mouthfeel is soft and mellow as the can indicates, almost silky. Overall I like this beer and will get a few more to have around, hopefully they will drop these in 30pk 12oz cans near my house, I would honestly drop my Milwaukee's Best Ice for this one. Cheers!

3.21/5  rDev +4.9%

I picked up a 6 pack of this today on a whim. 16oz cans, six of em for 4.99 now that's value. I've bought 7oz bottles for more than that. Anyhow, this beer is one of the first that my dad shared with me many many years ago, and a few years before I was legal. Pours a bright crystal clear light golden color with a fluffy white head that slowly recedes to a cap. Smells like creamed corn, slightly sweet grainy aroma with a hint of floral hops. Taste is a sweet grainy with hints of apple and maybe some floral hops if I close my eyes and think about it a bit. Watery/creamy mouthfeel, medium to thin body with a medium to high level of carbonation. Certainly nothing earth shattering here, but nothing really offensive either.

4.6/5  rDev +50.3%

one of the best I have had from this brewery. Golden color with a medium head. Smell of corn and cream. Tastes very smooth. Mouthful is very smooth and creamy. Drinkabilty is wonderful. A 6.99 a six pack this beer is a really good steal. Would recommend this beer for you average joe

2.96/5  rDev -3.3%

24 oz. Can poured into a pint glass.

Head just explodes on the pour. Nice creamy looking head. Light golden color which looks like your typical macro color. The head is what saves this. Also foamy lacing sticking to the glass.

I get a soapy buttery grain aroma with some kind of fruity smell. Nothing special at all.

Okay, the taste is not nearly as bad as the smell is. This is quite a decent taste. Grain, bread, corn and sugar. This has a very smooth taste and all the ingredients work well together.

Feels like an average beer in the mouth. Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

This is a good cheap beer to have a lot of. Decent taste, body and feel. This is better than the other macros for sure.

Can't go wrong with a 24 ounce can for 95 cents. Not a horrible beer and far from the worse. This is an excellent summer beer to have a lot of with friends.

3.32/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a typical clear amber, but it least it has a fairly thick and somewhat persistent white head. Aroma is malty and slightly fruity, nothing special but at least it's OK. Flavor is crisp and malty with just a bit of fruity sweetness, nothing special but still enjoyable. Texture is fairly smooth and fizzy. This is better as a party beer, or as an accompaniment to a meal, than a stand-alone drink, but it's still all right.

3.34/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks woody!

Aroma is crisp and adjucty. Lagery, corny sweetness abounds. Nothing too pleasant.

Aroma aside, I kinda liked the taste. There was a pleasant airy cream taste that complemented and to me, made the plain-jane lager tastes much better. Light sweetness, and a hint of hops. Surprisingly damn-decent.

Had a nice velvety, creamy feel. Carbonation was night and the weight was easy and light.

Cant argue with the drinkability on this one. I'd tear these up in the summer, and the creamy, light feel makes me feel less guilty about drinking something like this.

3.42/5  rDev +11.8%

From the 16 fl. oz. can no. 3350-07. Sampled on March 4, 2011. The pour is a straw yellow with a fizzy, foamy, long-lasting white head. The aroma is moderate in malts, adjuncts, and even a bit of yeast but low in hops. The taste has this slight yeastiness believe it or not with a hint of bitter hops during the finale. This is one of my favorite classic macros. Of course this would not be high on a craft beer enthusiast's want list but it refreshes just the same.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.