Genesee Cream Ale | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: Cream Ale

"Genny" Cream Ale.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Reviews: 539 | Ratings: 1,330
4.27/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ok, so I am fairly new to beer at an older age. I was always a spiced rum drinker, and only recently started to develop that acquired taste for beer. To start my preference in beers is a non-filling, light bodied, clean, non-"hoppy" brew. My current favorites are Land Shark and Miller Lite.
I stopped by the distributor tonight and saw genny cream ale for 15.00 a 30 pack... I have never heard anyone say "yuk" regarding Genesee Cream Ale, & since my kids have a habit of taste testing my beer, I thought I would try something cheap.
The box looks generic, but the 12oz cans are kind of classic looking. I tried two from the can, and poured one into a 10 oz wine style glass.
Look: Lightly golden with carbonation bubbles lasting through the last sip and a quickly dissolving 1 1/2 inch loose foam head which remained as a thin foam layer throughout my drinking experience.
Smell: Apples, wheat, grass, and a bit of hops. Nothing to make me wonder why I bought it!
Taste: Heavier than a typical light beer and kind of close to a Coors Original. It has a nice sweetness, with a creamy feel in the mouth. Not bitter, it finishes with a crisp dry flavor. It doesn't go down fast, rather it remains on the palate and back of throat for a moment. As a new beer drinker, I don't understand "feel", but after 3 of these it feels pretty good!
In conclusion, I like this beer. It is perfect for a night at the fire or a party with friends camping. I felt that it offered a good flavor, and rank it higher than bud, keystone, pbr, red stripe, miller highlife, and several other cheap level beers. It has a flavor that seems to me to be unique, yet easy to drink. Worth keeping for those days when you work on the car or yard, or get home from a day of work. It may become my inexpensive go to beer!

2.61/5  rDev -14.7%

For how cheap this beer is at around $15 for a 30 pack you cant beat it! Its definitely a great bang for your buck! Pours a golden appearance with a slightly lingering head that dissipates as it warms up! The initial aroma is clean water and a small hop bitterness! Bubbly and highly carbonated! It is brewed in Rochester, New York brewed by North American Breweries! Tastes sweet and has a dry hop finishbut its crisp clean and refreshing! A light to medium mouthfeel!

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

How have I never had this before? This beer's a classic and when I saw it at the relatively-new Total Wine up in River Edge the other night, I finally decided to give it a go. It was only $3.99 for a sixer of these so I figured I had nothing to lose and all I asked for was that this ended up on the level of Miller High Life and Pabst Blue Ribbon. Sure enough, it did and there's no doubt that this will be one of my cheap "go to" beers in the future when I just want to kick back and enjoy something without being hit over the head any way, shape, or form.

Nice golden pour to this with a moderately creamy (no pun intended) white head and a ring of lacing around the top of the glass. Light aroma to this of bread, cream, and light fruit with the same in the taste. No indication of any corn or rice fuller as this beer tasted as fresh as could be for the style and finished clean as well. Smooth, creamy, and light, there wasn't any presence of hops in the nose or taste and this went down as easily as could be. Somewhat dry, this easily beat out any of the macro lagers that would inevitably be compared to this while having just the right amount of carbonation.

There was enough alcohol in here but at the same time, I'd consider this to be a great example of a session beer. There's no way that this would offend anyone and for a cheap alternative to the heavier, darker, and hoppier beers that I tend to prefer, this would be one of the first examples that I'd reach for. A smooth brew that's as unoffensive as anything that I've ever reviewed for this site.

2.7/5  rDev -11.8%

smell has a hint of hops, tastes of sweet rice and earthy yeast. drink in a glass, so the nose will help. this beer is way better than major labels and it's dirt cheap. it drinks smooth, but for me a bit too sweet, maybe not for others. for the price it's incredible, so it has great value. brand has nostalgia for many.

4.38/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I just picked up a 24 oz can for around a buck at a local gas station.

I always saw the can mixed in with all the horrible low-end Keystone shit and assumed it was a terrible beer. Boy, how wrong I was.

This is an amazing beer for the price.
It's like a great domestic refreshing lager, but with extra creaminess and substance.

I still can't believe I missed this. My new go-to on the cheap.
Cheers.

3.55/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of the best "lawn Mower beers" out there, inexpensive paid 13.99 and got a $4 rebate. not bad for $10 bucks a 30 pack .Smooth, tastes best when served
cold.

2.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Golden, sweet, watery (in a refreshing way), and incredibly cheap. As previously mentioned, great for summertime. Unfortunately the cases of this were gathering dust at the store I purchased mine from; apparently not many people around here know what they're missing.

Edit: Perhaps this is too drinkable... All I can say is pace yourself.

3.02/5  rDev -1.3%

At $1.29 for a 24 oz. can, you can't beat the price. It's the perfect beer for the summer afternoon BBQ, when you want to down a couple cold ones, but don't want to overdo it.

3.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Drank a lot of this beer in college. It will always have a warm place in my heart! It pours a light yellow/straw color with a bright light head that dissipates quickly. It features a vaguely sweet cereal aroma. The taste is light, clean, and slightly sweet. It is creamy in feel with moderate carbonation and at 5.1% ABV you can (and believe me, I did) drink a lot of it. If you accept Genny Cream for what it is, and don't unfairly compare to to much more expensive craft beer, then you will quickly see its merits. I don't drink it often these days, but when I do I smile.

3.12/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy gold color with a creamy 2 finger off white head that faded rather slowly and left good lacing costing the sides.

Smells like grains, sweet malt, light floral hops and cardboard or husk that comes from most American lagers. It reminds me of beer you'd drink at a keg party in college...oh wait, I used to drink this at college and it pretty much smells the same over 20 years later.

Tastes pretty much the way it smells: grains, malt, light floral hops, a hint of lemon zest, light caramel, a bready sweetness and then of course the signature US cardboard or husk that comes from lesser blends of hops. The sweetness actually gets stronger as you drink it which makes it go down easier.

Mouthfeel is watery thin with a very fast, slick flow since there is little to no carbonation; medium body with some malty aspects that provide an attempt at balance with the light hopping.

It's as basic as I remember it and the nostalgia factor made me happy to drink this. Would I have it again, definitely, but it would be purely for the memories or if I were back at school at an alumni weekend.

3.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a good beer. Very similar to yuengling larger but not as heavy this might be better.

Sweet and bready - easy to drink silky mouthfeel reminds me of a champagne mouthfeel wise- can't believe I paid .75c at total wine for it. You can find it in PA where I grew up but not here in New Mexico where I live now oddly enough I found it in Arizona. I might take some home no I will take some home.

3.58/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The best beer of the larger producers... though this one is harder to find than other "small" producers like Yuengling and Sam's. This is a great beer and great choice for what it is. I wouldn't have this beer with dinner or bring it to a party or give as a gift....BUT I would definitely buy this for a BBQ, day at the beach, and to keep in the fridge in the garage for use during any and all yard work. Heads and shoulders above Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. And at $6.99 for a 12 pack great flavor and just right for activities as mentions above. PLEASE do yourself a favor and try it if you can find it. You love beer, but I know you don't want to be drinking a 11.99/six pack-micro-brew cutting the grass, or putting in a cooler for your family BBQ and have that brother-in-law think that beer is too strong or bitter and wasting the $$. This beer tastes just right for an afternoon of drinking beer and having fun. You will enjoy it. Cans are cool, simple design too.
Salute!

2.92/5  rDev -4.6%

looks like beer. However, if we were judging the container, the can would be a 5. not much smell. tastes creamy and crisp. a bit sugary and ricey. not too bad. you could do much worse. especially for the price

2.3/5  rDev -24.8%

Had this offered for free, so I figured why not.
Drank straight from the can.
Smell is funky and cant quite put my nose on it. Tastes of stale grain and alcohol. Not great.

3.53/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My grandfather used to drink this so I'm cracking a sixer now. Thick bright white head. Yellow in color. That's decent. Yeah alright I'm happy with that. Like it better than most main stream beers.

2.79/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz. Can poured aggressively into standard 16 oz 'Ball' Mason Jar. The packaging is very generic--but still somehow unique.

A: See-through crystalline appearance. Very clear--Golden wheat. Room for an aggressive pour produced a 2 finger white fluff of a head that dissipated quickly to a thin ring that lingers throughout. Can't knock the beer in appearance alone.

S: Some alcohol induced hoppy musk--maybe a hint of wheat. Kind of smells like a lawnmower beer. Might be the reason some smell grass on this one. Based on smell, this beer isn't doing much to impress.

T: Clean and refreshing. Simple, not too much going on. Some grainy alcohol but if investigated actually produced a nice taste. Almost buttery. Almost some fruit notes. This beer does just enough on taste to distinguish itself from the 'Coors' and 'Miller' of the world.

F: A crispy creamy feel gives this beer a distinct finish--suggestive of a quality crafted brew. Definitely the highlight of Genesee Cream Ale.

O: At the end of the day, this is a cheap beer that can be bought in large quantities. It's definitely better than some of the other 'lawnmower' beers that people seem to love so much. Seemingly would be perfect for college frat parties. Or just when you want a cheap refreshing beer that does just enough to be decent.

3.23/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Picked up just because of the stubby bottles and cheap price. Clear straw super pale. Good carbonation. Taste is kind of boozy for some reason but was a good beer

3.11/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is a local beer I had growing up. I drank this one ice cold out of the little bottle.
Perhaps nostalgia made it taste for me. Slight maltiness followed by fruit. Then its over. The stubby bottle and the label would get a 5 from me if aesthetics in packaging were a category.

3.84/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Been a very along time since I had one of these and are hard to find actually. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F and poured in to a flute glass.

Pours a pale yellow with a very small fizzy white head that leaves good lacing. The aroma is of a light grassy hops. The taste is the same with a slight sweet finish. Actually very smooth with a good taste.

4.3/5  rDev +40.5%

I think that, though not obviously the pinnacle of anything, this beer is somewhat iconic. It is underrated, cheap, and fills a niche that some people believe only this brand can...it is a classic and I love my forest green simplicity...hey it Genny...

4.37/5  rDev +42.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A good everyday kind of beer that is more complex and tastes better than a lot of people give it credit for. Nothing mind blowing here just good simple beer you can enjoy at a excellent price.

2.94/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass in Savannah, GA (I know, odd).
Aroma- Maybe grass and some malt, not much here.
Appearance-A pale yellow (like Coors Light), little head.
Taste- Definitely a regional macro here. I assume this would be real good around a bonfire.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, it does have a creamy feel to it.
Overall- I ordered this off of the beer list under "your Daddy's beers" it also had Dixie, Lonestar and Iron City listed. It was a nice throw back to my teen age years.

4.05/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

In Western NY state, they just about give this stuff away, which has gained it a bad reputation. However, at only $3.99 a sixer, it is one of the best bargains out there. I'll take a Genny screamer over any of the big name macros any day.

The beer is a full-bodied, somewhat heavy, bold tasting ale. It has a medium-dark golden colored body, a thick, rich head, and a smooth feel with a touch of bite. Taste has the typical bite and slight bitterness of an ale, with the smooth texture of a cream stout. Yes, it is cheap, mass produced beer, and even if you didn't see the price tag, there are hints of this fact in the somewhat unpleasant aftertaste you get if you drink more than a couple of these. That said, it is however great for a cheap beer, and even very good compared to mid range mass market beers.

Not a beer to guzzle, or to get a buzz on...too heavy...but great to enjoy one or two with a nice stogie, or by itself if you enjoy a that smooth yet bitter texture. Basically, it's the poor man's Boddingtons...a creamy, bitey ale at a bargain price.

2.57/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a huge can, code 3034 which means it was canned October 30, 2014.

A stark white thick foam with great retention and lacing. Color is a clear, sickly yellow. Sweet corn and semblance of flavor is the result for the flavor dept. Very watery and uninteresting though. Who the hell could chug a whole monster can of this?

Many years ago, on a hill far above a certain lake, this was my Saturday night special treat. I just drank a can for auld lang syne. Flat, smooth, "creamy", but it was much better fifty years ago, when I had more hair, less fat, fewer wrinkles and less money. Might be a good foil for a boilermaker.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.