Dundee Pale Ale | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Dundee Pale AleDundee Pale Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by John on 08-16-2004

3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

After their rather lackluster honey lager and flat out bad hefeweizen, I was prepared to hate this been. With that in mind, I was pleasently surprised by how much I liked this beer.

A rather pleasent, crystal clear reddish brown color, with a big thick, foamy top to it. A nice sweet malty nose, no complaints there. Fairly well balanced taste to it, leaning a bit heavier towards the hops than the malts. Bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. Finishes with some lingering hops.

A solid pale ale. Worth a taste.

3.51/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours deep golden/bronze with a 4 fingers+ off white head with some effervescence. No head retention or lacing

Smell Cirussy (lemon) & piney hops

Taste: Citric & piney hops with some fruitiness. Citrussy finish

MF: Slighlty thin, but good carbonation

pretty drinkable if your looking for thirst quincher/session. Just not enough there to hold My attention very long any more. Pleasntly suprised, good entry level APA& would certainally do in a pinch

3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

Well I must say I had my doubts about this one at first. Having had Honey Brown before, I was unsure of what to expect. It poured a crystal clear orange bronze colour with a slightly off-white chunky head. Doesn't look too bad. I've still yet to taste it, though. The smell certainly gave its potential more merit, as the smell of hops was almost immediately detected upon opening this one up. Upon closer examination of the smell, there is a sweet element hiding in there, as well, but mostly hops. Sadly, the strength of the smell depletes rather quickly as you make your way through the pint glass. The taste is a bit nicer than I was thinking it would be. A nice bitter hoppiness up front, and a nice dry roasted malt finish. There is also a little sweetness that makes a quick appearance right there at the very end which I could do without, but it doesn't ruin the beer. Seems to be fairly balanced. Carbonation level is right where it needs to be IMO, and mouthfeel is very pleasant for the style. Overall, this is a pretty good beer, and very sessionable. Of course, I'd much rather have an SNPA or something more along those lines, but to come from the same folks that brought us the likes of Honey Brown....I was, indeed, a little impressed.
Blessed Be
-SS

3.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber with a thick off-white head a decent, even lace.

S: Has a hoppy smell, but not over-powering, along with a faint bit of malt & citrus.

T: Definitely has the hops bitterness that you expect in an APA, a little bit of sweetness, but in the finish, I’m detecting that corn-malt flavor that I’ve grown to expect from High Falls Brewing. Co. A little bit of citrus sweetness in the after-taste.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish.

D: This is a beer that I could go with for some time. It’s tasty, not-to-filling and cheap, but there are others that I prefer within the style.

I’ll be honest and say that I haven’t been too impressed with the beers that I’ve had from High Falls Brewing thus far, but I also realize that you get what you pay for in most cases. Having said that, this is beer exceeded my expectations and is well worth the low price.

3.79/5  rDev +16.3%

This Dundee offering pours a deep golden reddish color, the rich odor reached my nose before i even lifted it. the head is thin an disappears shortly save the around the edge of the glass. i can almost discern an apple-y aroma rising from the glass. when it reaches my tongue, a snese a quick fruity burst, followed by the hoppy bitterness of traditional Pale Ales. it goes down smoothly bitter and the flavor remains after dissipating without changing.

a quality offering from JW Dundee.

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours golden with a long lasting, big foamy head, and a good amount of lacing. Smell is a combination of malt and hops with a hint of pine. Moutfeel is a bit on th light side. Taste is a bit watery, but the balance of malt and hops is quite good. It's not a bad beer, just light. I would drink it again.

1.7/5  rDev -47.9%

Not the best to say the least.

Appearance: Kind of clear for an APA, and no head to speak of.

Smell: If you like hops, than you may enjoy this brew. But don't look for any other flavors, because that's all your getting.

Taste: Unimpressive.

Mouth feel: Blah.

Drinkability: I wouldn't drink this beer again. APA's must not be my liking.

But any manner, it's still beer and did have one good part. It still has alcohol.

And as always remember the immortal words:

"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."

~Benjamin Franklin

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

For a $5 a sixer beer its not bad, that being said...

Fairly pale pour without much head or lacing. Sweet smell with a strange hop aroma, dont quite know how to describe it, basically I can tell its supposed to be hops, but it doesnt smell floral or citrusy or and of the traditional thing. Taste is a fairly weak and is basically light, unoffensive beer with with strange hops. It doesnt taste bad, but I just dont want to drink it.

Need a cheap, non-crappy beer fix? Give it a try.

3.41/5  rDev +4.6%

It took a little time to get a handle on this ale as the ingredients and blends were a mystery to me, but with much deliberation and my humble opinion this is what I find.
Arrived a light coppery colour, very clear, light head with moderate carbonation.
The body is medium/full.
The taste is a mirror image of the nose as it has a mild grainlike beginning, well balanced and ending towards a mild citrus with a bitter spiciness.
Very nice.

3.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Almost a winner. Almost. Pours out to a dark burnt orange color with a big foam head. Major lacing in the glass. Low level of carbonation. Aromas of floral hops is powerful and appreciated. Who knew a macro could smell so good? Unfortunately the taste was a letdown. Mild flavors of malts and some hops with only a touch of lemony citrus. Mouthfeel could've been so much more enjoyable if the carbonation was there to add some zesty-ness. Fair drinkability. I'd take it again if it were offered. Worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev +12%

Dark hazy bronze with a 1 inch foamy head and some nice stickiness. Hop and malt blend in the nose, smells like a decent pale ale. Taste doesn't quite live up to the aroma. Starts off with a watery malt hit with the hop bitterness not kicking in until toward the end. They are relatively weak, though present, and the finish is sufficiently bitter and crispy. Not a bad beer at all. I wouldn't refuse one.

3.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Medium bodied, clear dark amber/copper color with a decent off-white head.

Aroma is mild, slightly spicy hops with a bready malt background.

Taste starts with slightly citric hops followed by mild slightly toasted malts, with a nice balanced aftertaste, still slightly citric with a floral touch and persistent mild malt undertone.

Very smooth and drinkable. A bargain and well worth a try.

3.38/5  rDev +3.7%

Aroma is hoppy with a bitter fruity (nameley citrusy) aroma. Color is amber with a slight bias toward orange. Head is decent and carbonation bubbles continue to rise after pouring. Taste is full and creamy and the body is medium. Smooth on the front palatte with a slight pinch in the aftertaste.

This is a good beer for the price and I could probably handle 2-3 in a row without wanting variety. When I drink this beer I follow it up with JW Dundee's Honey Brown because the tangier taste of the pale ale and the sweet taste of the honey brown are good on their own but accentuated by contrast to each other.

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

The beer pours a nice amber color and features a foamy white head with good retention. A sweet malty aroma that is complemented by some hops that have a mild citrus character. The beer’s flavor is a nicely balanced mix of hops, caramel, pale malt and a general grain flavor. While the grain and malt flavors are a little more dominant, the hops are is crisp and refreshing. The finish is grainy though a little weak. The mouth feel is light to medium with mild carbonation.

I really didn’t expect this much from this beer considering that JW’s other beers tend to be on the mediocre side, but this one was above average, if only slightly. While the finish is fairly weak, the hop and malt flavors are balanced and refreshing. Recommended.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Upon checking in at our Orlando resort (Hilton Grand Vacation Club....highly...HIGHLY recommended), I was tasked with snagging some grocery-type products to reduce the amount of hard-earned cash that would be dropped in the parks we were hitting this week. Naturally, beer was on the list!

Darted across the street to the local Publix grocery store. Sadly, the beer selection was about 95% BMC in the various combinations of cans and bottles. I decided on the APA from Dundee's in hopes that my hops addiction would be somewhat satiated while away from good beer (and MUCH better than the $4.99 Budweisers served in Sea World!).

Color is a clear amber with a thin, yet tightly-packed whitish head. Aromas are clea, with a brief citrusy hop note. Some underlying sweetness as well. Flavor does see a decent amount of hoppy bitterness, supported by a chewy caramel malt infusion. Finish is on the dry and drawn out side. Bitterness is there, but not overwhelming. Decent body and good mouthfeel. Very drinkable after a long day walking around the parks.

$4.99 a sixer. Giddyup.

I'd not feel bad about having this in my fridge at home.

3.44/5  rDev +5.5%

Though not the greatest beer out there, this is pretty good value for the money. At Hannaford it's only $5.49 a sixer (though that is up a dollar from a month ago) For me the hops jump out at you with the pale ale, reminds me a lot of a IPA instead of a regular pale ale. Pours with a two finger head that dissapates quickly, couldn't smell much, taste is very hoppy. Not bad mouthfeel. Now I wish I could find this in twelve packs like they seem to have in their honey lager (which I Have not tried)

3.65/5  rDev +12%

A good session beer for the hops-inclined. My impression is that this is aimed toward the hoppier end of mainstream beers, such as Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada - in fact this reminded me a lot of a slightly less hoppy Sam Adams. Nice caramel notes in the malt and some herbal hops.

Brewmaster Dave Schlosser e-mailed me some information about the beer, that I'll share as the info is pretty interesting:

"One of the hardest things in coming up with the flavor profile of the Amber Lager and Pale Ale was determining how far out in flavor I could go while still keeping a cohesive brand identity. The Amber Lager is meant as the next step up in flavor, malty with toasted crystal malt character with a dry hop finish (~25 BUs). The Pale is meant to be the next level up in flavor. We use Tomahawk, Amarillo and Cascade hops to give the nice clean hop aroma, flavor and smooth bitterness (~35 BUs). This puts it squarely within the APA style desc. of 28-40 BU's. Would I personally have liked to push it up to 40-45 BU's? Sure, but I think it would have been too much for the first line extension."

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from the bottle a good amber colour with a nice head that settled into a 1/4"layer that stayed for the entire session.

The taste is very malty/grainy with just a smidgeon of hops in the background and, another plus in my book is that the carbonation is not overly done. The bottle says "Full Flavor" and it certainly is that.

For me, this Pale worked and is very drinkable especially considering that I got the 6 pack for US$4.99. Great value for the money, imho.

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty amber color, clear throughout. The head is a nice very light tan with visible bubbles underneath and a thin froth on top. It’s about three fingers thick with a fairly light pour. Good retention. Pretty beer.

Smells good. Mainly just sweet molasses or brown sugar malts up front with a little spiciness or bitterness from the hops on the very backend.

A very balance, tasty beer. Starts with a wave of sweet malts that cover your tongue. Taste is of brown sugar. Very yummy. As it warms, a bit of a grain/citrus sourness is mixed in, giving it more complexity. Then, after you swallow, a hop bitterness gradually envelops your tongue, leaving a dry, herbal aftertaste. Yum! Mouthfeel is slick and dry. Pretty good.

A very balance, drinkable pale. I’d definitely get this again. The pleasantly subtle hops would make this a good introduction to the world of better beer.

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Can provided amid a bunch of stuff given to me for volunteering at 2005 GABF. Uhm, thanks guys, I really appreciate the opportunity. Stamp on the bottle reads 5312 0230554. Pours a one finger sticky light tan head over a clear copper orange liquid. Smells grapefruit pithy withs ome pine, but empty in some way. Piercing without any back-up, I guess. Some orange oil smells as I have another sniff. And now some unsmoked tobacco. Tastes creamy wet sweet to start and a piney hop flavor accompanied by a touch of over-carbonation. The hops dry out the middle, leaving sharp bitter on the frontal sides of my tongue. Fortunately, this settles as a sweeter aftertaste arises to challenge, but not entirely overtake the hops. That makes for a nice conflict to ponder in the aftertaste, as the battle between the two rages. A stellar beer, no. A tasty beer, yeah. The hops feel 'thin' in a way that makes me think this beer is a bit old. If so, I'll be it's much smoother and drinkable when fresh. Light body and drop some of the carbonation.

2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date

a - lame looking head. looks like apple juice bubbling up! suprisingly there's some lacing! light amber color.

s - light hops and malt. not much on the nose.

t - at first i was really digging this! great hop flavor with slight roasted malt. then the after taste. totally gross. ewwww. bad.

m - light bodied with a fairly bad finish.

notes: i'm never ever having this again. the aftertaste kills anything that was good about this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a nice golden amber color, with a small tan head. The smell was a bit weak, and was mostly of hops and grain. Not a bad smell, it just could have been more powerful. It tasted pretty good, rather hoppy and a little bit tart. Good sharp mouthfeel, though it is a little dry. As for the drinkability, I didn't have any problem finishing it.. there are certainly better APAs, but I don't think you could find one for as low of a price as this.. And hey, it's a perfectly decent beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Times are tight in the Macpapi household. With the first check from school a week and a half away, the beer budget has been reduced. So, upon seeing this 'new' addition to the local grocery shelves at a mere $4 for a sixer it seemed a necessity to at least give it a try.

Dundee Pale ale pours an amber-copper color with a half-inch head. There is quite a bit of bubble action throughout the glass. Smell is a bit weak. Some hops are present, with an addition of floral and citrus aromas. Overall, though nothing terribly strong. The taste is not bad. Somewhat astringent on the tongue. Hops are more than expected. There is a brief citrus aftertaste to go along with malt presence. In the mouth, this beer is sharp and tart. It is highly carbonated, but not terribly full.

Overall for the price, this is not a bad beer. It has flavor, relatively notable hop presence, but little complexity. Not a bad beer to keep around when times are tight. Still, I'm counting down the days until the University check comes in, so I can replace this with a good sixer of Fourth Dementia or a 750 of Gouden Carolus or the like.

1.91/5  rDev -41.4%

From the Craft Pack.

One of the ugliest, most pock marked, lumpiest heads ever (kinda my fault on a goofy pour but I had to remark). Okay lace on the sides though once the head fizzled. Color is kinda red, kinda orange, almost golden at the edges. Nice. Some bubbling.

Smells like grain (corn), moldy hops, and alcohol. Offensive.

Taste isn't quite as bad, there are more hops here (still not excessive at all). Metallic-egg taste of well water in the country. More adjuncts, stuff that causes the bad beer face like Milwaukee's Best. B-grade hops with some amber malts.

Overcarbonated start adds to the nastiness, and there's a bad mouthfeel that accompanies the metal taste. The malt gives it a little more body though, which is clutch -- hops and thin carbonated beverage wouldn't be nice.

I don't like how this beer tastes and had to struggle a little to get it down. I think it's a bad APA, really low end. However, I give it props for that, as I didn't think there was a macro APA. Well, I'm proud of High Falls for shooting for the 12-pack-for-$7 APA market. Maybe a good choice for someone who thinks he likes hops but doesn't really and is posing?

As a side note, I've drank a half dozen of these this year and maybe this batch is worse than normal -- they're not usually this bad.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second JWs from the "8 pack"
Nice enough looking amber/dark orange colour..large foamy thick off white head.
Aroma very subdued for an American pale..though the hops are there if you inhale deeply enough.
Taste is actually ok..starts slightly sweet and caramel malts then theres a nice slighly citric hop taste though its very slight for the style.
Pretty nice on the palate..the mouthfeel is slightly dry.
Its a nice enough beer to quaff..but not a great pale ale.

Dundee Pale Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.