Dundee Pale Bock Lager | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Pale Bock LagerDundee Pale Bock Lager
3.42/5
Okay
Dundee Pale Bock LagerDundee Pale Bock Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Added by John on 02-25-2005

View: Beers
firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

given to me for free @ oak tree buy rite, edison nj (hey, you show a little leg and get some beer... kidding.. but the owner had broke out a 6er and sent me home with one along with my haul of brew)

music: sounds from the ground - kin

eyes...
gold with slight amber tint, fairly faint head that holds decently, lacing is very good. ample carbonation streaming up the glass, better than average.

nose...
toasted wheat squares in the box, you can taste the alcohol in the wafts, dominated by the grain with a hint of malt (some toasty notes) on the sly, not bad. (heck I sense a dash of honey in there as well)

taste etc...
crisp and sweet malt to the fore than a grainy/biscuit aftertaste that is somewhat dry. The alcohol is not apparent in the flavor but lingers in the stomach somewhat. drinks to a medium/light body which is right on. You could probably fool macro drinkers with this one... maybe the marketing angle is "pale" to compete with Sierra and "bock" to comepte with AB stuff ? I can see it.. Honeybrown was everywhere when I was in college, JW seems to get there stuff out there no prob....

verdict...
I'm not a big fan of the style so truth be known I am biased to some extent! Drinkabilty for a 6+% abv is very good. A sixer may kill joe six pack if he isn't paying attention. Not something I would revisit on purpose but I wouldn't say no to it on tap locally or at a friend's house out of the fridge.

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

I bought the JW Dundee sampler pack specifically to try this beer, having seen many people praise it here on BA.

The beer pours a pale, clear orange/yellow. The head is fairly impressive, and it dies down to a white cap and there is a good amoung of lace to go around.

The smell has a slightly macro-ish smell, with a lot of grain in the nose. There's a touch of sweetness and perhaps a bit of hops, although I can't really identify what they smell like.

Tasting it, I find good bit of maltiness. It's sweet, and has a crisp finish. There's a good amount of carbonation that is refreshing as well. A bit sticky in the moutfeel. Perhaps the taste of prunes? Breadiness too. A lot more complicated than I thought was possible in a beer made by the brewers of "Golden Anniversary" and "Genny Cream Ale." A good surprise, not mind blowing, and as far as maibocks go, I prefer Dead Guy, but this is still satisfying.

4.33/5  rDev +26.6%

High Falls seems to brew beers that are "in the neighborhood" for the style. Pale is good, Amber is decent, Winterfest was a treat, now, I was in my fave store, they had a sampler pack with this in it. I looked up, and there was a SIXER! Plus, it was 4.49! So, had to try it, and knowing the few reviews on BA have rated this really well, I couldn't lose.

Poured a pumpkin orange with mild carbonation and a small head that ended in a white foam that didn't go. The orange color is different from other beers. It smelled pleasant, that's being nice, you could tell there was a small difference from other beers, so maybe better than average.

Mouth was full, thick, nice balance in alcohol to heavy malts, the main difference, it went down slow with a pleasant aftertaste. Being I've had little experience with Bock beers, I have to stand up and cheer HF. This is what BMC lagers should taste like and miss so well. Malt character is full, almost chewy, with a nice hop taste that balanced with the malt but wasn't as big as APA's. Alcohol was only apparent in the end, but the main thing that hit me on this is the chewiness! Almost like better Imperials and Porters. Is this beer really from the people that brew Genesee?

Needless to say, I'm sorry I didn't buy a few sixers. It makes me re-think JWD's Pale. THIS is the beer I'll buy while it's available. If this was $6 it would still be a great buy. On the package, they mention a Hefe, IPA , and Scotch Porter are thier seasonals....bring em!

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

This offering from High Falls is very good. I got it in a sampler with the Amber, Pale Ale and Honey Brown. Beautiful color, a dark gold, with creamy but not excessive off white head. Some lacing. Very smooth and drinkable. The Saaz hops were noticable and to my taste might be a little weak. I really like the Saaz. Anyway, the Hops are there, but this is a malty beer, as it should be, and the balance is probably true to style. This is absolute proof that High Falls knows good beer. Truly enjoyable.

Review from notes: Sampled with the brewer and a bunch of BA's in Rochester, NY. This new brew from high falls is really something to appluad, a nic pale heller bock brewed for the masses as a high falls seasonal. I hear an ipa may follow, and than after that who knows!? Big kudos to Dave S for sharing and for brewing up some quality "micros" in the "macro" world! This one is very plae golden with an eggshell white head of frippy frothy foam that lasts and leaves some nice lacing as well. Aromas are freshly baked bread, bavarian pretzels, and more malt accented flavors as well as a bit of spicy floral German and US hops? Taste is sweet and bready but the sweetness is not overdone and the spicy hops do come in and balance everything nicely. This coupled with the simple medium bodied mouthfeel of this brew make it's drinkability good as well. So solid, it is like a rock, this isn't even my favorite style, but it is nailed here, and quite tasty. Drink up!

4.07/5  rDev +19%

Suprisingly saw this on tap at Donnely's Public house in fairport(get it while you can). The bartender didn't really know what it was but i guess it is a test or something. Anyways i loved it. It is certainly pale as it pours a really light gold. The taste is sorta sweet but I think the hops are more dominant. Perfect amount of alcohol. Interesting brew, hopefully we will see it in the stores soon.

4.15/5  rDev +21.3%

First...Thanks John!!
Call it alittle luck or timing, but I was able to get two bottles of this limited test brew of High Falls. As a possible spring release, I say this would make a fine seasonal for High Falls.
It pours a good-looking, clear copper/gold. The glass is active for carbonation seems up abit as a slighly off-white one inch head is formed. It maintains fairly well but lace is spotted and fades.
The aroma is bread-like, with hints of honey, rye and toasted caramel malts. The taste is carried by a sweet malt balanced well with a tangy hop spice. The finish has a hint of pepper, while the alcohol at 6.2% is soothing and calm.
The mouthfeel is soft and drinkability is high as the carbonation, I think, aids the medium bodied brew.
As High Falls carries on through tests of this brew, I say "Yes" to this possible seasonal, and with any more luck, there's always the chance we'll see it next year!!

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Didn't even know High Falls had this one in the works. I was told that it was probably a seasonal brew, and wasn't readily available anywhere. Given the relative success of the recent JW Dundee lineup, I just couldn't resist ordering a pint.
I must admit that while I've had plenty of experience with Doppelbocks, I'd only had two other regular "Bocks" at that point, and neither were anything to write home about. This beer was very clean, in appearance, smell, flavor and aftertaste. Seemed to be a safe play for High Falls, testing the water perhaps. Kudos for tackling a relatively obscure style.
This beer was quite pleasing and almost goes down like a session brew. Malt dominated the flavor profile, with a hint of lingering alcohol.
All in all it's a satisfying brew.

4.3/5  rDev +25.7%

Dundee's Pale Bock is a new beer from High Falls, brewed as a potential spring '05 seasonal line extension for the Dundee brand. This has been made available in limited quantities even though it may not make it to full distribution this year. A very small quantity of bottles were produced and some draught product I'm told will be (if not already) available at select area bars.

Keeping in line with the quality of the Amber Lager and Pale Ale, this traditional bock is all malt (pale) with Magnum and Saaz hops. The brew is crystal clear light gold. Head is eggshell colored and has good retention after a moderate pour. Lace is decorative. Aroma sends fresh baked light rye bread notes wafting up. Fresh baked German pretzels come to mind as well. Spicy hop notes are also detected. Taste tows the fresh bread line with a silky clover honey like smoothness. An overall malty sweetness is predominate but is quickly countered with a peppery Saaz finish. This is also a very clean brew. Drinkability is excellent. I've been pouring two at a time in my 500ml. tapered German cylindrical glass, what a lush! (there's quite a bit of headspace in it above the plimsol line)

Cheers to Dave at HF for taking on this underrated and underappreciated style and nailing it.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Dundee Pale Bock Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.