Genesee Ice Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Genesee Ice BeerGenesee Ice Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-04-2002

Reviews: 108 | Ratings: 174
2.42/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm not going to bother doing a L/S/T/F/O description of this beer. Instead I will just tell you that I lost a bet with a friend of mine and as a result, I can only drink Genny Ice for an extended period of time. I'm not happy about losing. That being said, it's not THAT bad of a beer, but it's definitely not enjoyable. ABV @ 5.5% isn't even that outstanding for a poor beer.

4.2/5  rDev +64.1%

This isn't one of the new "Zima" crap beers. This is a beer flavored beer. It looks like beer. It tastes like beer. It's exceptional served ice cold on a hot, humid day.
Currently this beer (which tastes surprisingly like the beers my Father and his Father before him drank), runs 99 CENTS for a 24oz can.
Feel free to run this brew down and waste your cash on crap brewed beers that are cloying and undrinkable.
It's beer-flavored beer for me!

2.15/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bought this 24 oz. can at the Front Street Binghamton, NY Weis Grocery Store, which used to be my one-stop shop for Horseheads Brewing Company bombers(not stocked anymore). $1.99 seemed reasonable. After consumption, a 200 mile drive back there for a refund was on the table. OK I'll admit that I downed this during an Adele special on NBC that there was no escape from in my house, and perhaps that made everything seemed worse than it actually was...but the corn soda flatness and salty sting of this beer's taste was beyond vindication; and I'm a Genesee fan when it comes to 12 Horse or Bock, or maybe even I'm a little bit partial to their Cream Ale. Sorry, 6 oz. of this met the drain head on. What aspect of beer like this is "ICE" describing, anyway??

2.59/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells of roasted grains and sweet corn. Some rice.

Taste is exactly like the nose. A little on the sweet side and faintly metallic. Not quite as flavorful as the Cream Ale.

The feel is surprisingly medium bodied. It has high carbonation and a pretty smooth finish. While this is normally a pretty good feel for a beer, it's not what I'm looking for in a beer like this. It's almost a chore to get down.

Overall, not a terrible representation of an AAL, but not a good one either. It's basically just a beer with a good price for a decent buzz.

2.48/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Found this locally and after tasting found it wanting.

I like Genesee generally and this was a disappointment. Light color, light hops, medium texture and flavor with some malt in there that is overshadowed by the adjuncts. Fairly nice beer but the aftertaste rings adjunct like a bell. I know, you can't make high gravity beer without adding more fermentable stuff but the adjuncts used here achieve only the goal of higher ABV while marring the beer overall.

There are cheap buzzers available for cheaper.

2.93/5  rDev +14.5%

Looks much darker than your average adjunct ice beer. With a limited head and no lacing. The smell is of tasted malt and something astringent with a hint of alcohol.

The taste is toasted malt and not the usual corn overload you would find in this style. Not many or any off flavors.

Medium to heavy mouthfeel, with strong carbonation. This is extremely heavy for the style.

Overall, I find this to be a remarkably nice surprise for the category. It masks almost all the unpleasant characteristics you find in cheap ice beer. Oddly I find this beer to look and smell like a strong Guinness blonde. Highly recommended if you really want an adjunct ice beer.

3.86/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark golden color with a small rocky white head and slow moving large carbonation bubbles moving slowly through it.

Yeasty white bread smell with some sweet notes.

Thick creamy malty sweet taste.

Feel is somewhat described in the taste above. A medium mouth feel that has a very pleasing creaminess to it. Finish was a pleasing wash of wet refreshment that drops off slowly and cleanly.

This one was a real surprise! I like several of the offerings from Genesee as they fit the bill for a tasty beer at an incredibly low price. This one I found in 24 oz. cans at our local grocery store. Since I had not seen this before I thought I would give it a try. And I am glad I did! This is a very nice creamy beer and if memory serves me it was only about $1.40 for a can. Pretty good beer for an inexpensive adjunct lager.

2.03/5  rDev -20.7%

This is a prime example of an AAL. Deep amber color. Corny and riddled with metallic notes. Head sticks around and lasts. At 5.5% it doesn't really hurt you. Be careful though, when this warms up it becomes a whole new animal. Probably won't buy again.

2.59/5  rDev +1.2%

After trying the cream ale by Genesee, I needed a cheap beer for some change and this is what I picked up.
I was really unsure because it just says "ICE Beer" on it. Not knowing what it would be like compared to the green can.
Cracked the 24 fl oz can and poured it into a lager mug, my favorite mug.
Pours a common golden color, decent foam head depending how aggressive you are with the pour.
Smell, like the green can, I couldn't smell anything, from the can I got a faint hint of your average cheap beer, but in a glass, even fi I bring my nose to it, I can't get anything.
Taste, like the green can, has a roasted malty flavor, but less than the green can. It's a good flavor, especially considernig the price and it's not watery.
Feels smooth, easy to drink, almost creamy feel to it.
Overall, for cheap stuff, it's good, I can see the taste not being appealing to some, but for the price, it's not watery, nothing much to complain about here.

1.88/5  rDev -26.6%

Honestly, this is a beer for the dollar-deficient working-class man who simply needs to forget the day of back-breaking work he just endured. This beer doesn't have many pleasant characteristics, other than the fact that it's cheap. A 30-rack is about $20, depending on where you are, and if you're willing to overlook what it lacks in quality, you will be satisfied with how drunk you get. Then, when you wake up in the morning, the satisfaction will quickly dissipate and in its place: agony.

1.45/5  rDev -43.4%

.99 cent 24 oz. can. pretty rough. been a while since i've had this poor of quality of beer. first sip was hard, gets a little easier to handle the more you consume. ice beers were never my thing, but me thinks this one is not so good.

Yuck. This is the worst beer I've had yet. Maybe I got a particularly bad can but this would have been my first drainpour if I wasn't broke at the time and hate to waste beer. But it was so metallic and astringent, not worth choking down at all.

2.82/5  rDev +10.2%

Invited to dinner with friends and all they had in the fridge was Genny Ice. I’m game…

Dark straw color. Sure the residual corn sugars are present but this is not a terrible beer. To start, it is much more substantial in body than most AALs. The flavor profile is not bad.

Finally, the abv has been kicked up a notch but there is not real harsh or nasty alcohol burn like some AALs have when they reach higher abv levels.

Bonus: It's union made.

3.95/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Genesee Ice Beer brewed by Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. This brew has an ABV of 5.5% The brew pours out a dark amber color with a small white head. Genesee Ice is darker than most Ice brews on the market. Now I'm not saying that is a bad thing. The smell is strong with grains and corn. This brew has the look and smell of most Ice brews on the market. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors. You pick up on grins and malts. There is a hit if in the taste of this brew. Genesee Ice is a lot smoother than the original Genesee Beer. There is just something more to it to make it smoother. This brew goes real smooth with no harsh aftertaste. For an ice Beer this real good no hard alcohol taste or after taste for that matter. You can taste the grains and corn but nothing bad. Mouthfeel is nice clean . General Ice has a decent balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. Overall I'm giving Genesee Ice a 4.75 out of 5 This is one Ice Beer that I can enjoy. For the price this is a good go to brew. Genesee Ice is a brew that I would buy again.

1.12/5  rDev -56.3%

I really like Genesee Brewing Co. but this beer really doesn't cut it for me. I was hoping to find another great beer from Genesee but I wont be buying this again because of the taste. It's a mild flavor but what is there isn't very appealing. It's not horrible but it's not good.

Edit: I gave it another try and I'm making the rating go down. Smells and tastes like alcohol, beer, chemicals, and it burns my throat.

3.77/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clean gold with three fingers of white head. Retention is average for the style and good amount of clumpy lace.
Smell is lightly corny with a good amount of grains and a minor amount of grassy hops.
Taste is similar with no bad flavors just not much going on either. Bolder flavors than most macro lagers. Lightly sweet.
Mouthfeel is medium and lightly wet finish. Carbonation is just enough,
Overall one of the best from this brewery prefer it to their regular beer.

2.27/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

When you pay .99 for a 24 ounce can you really can't expect too much. This stuff isn't even worthy of a full A-S-T-M-O review but here we go...

A - Pours out a big head that is gone instantly. It looks "dead" in the glass but I doubt much of this is drank from a glass.

S/T - The smell and taste are adjunct city - heavy corn/grainy flavor and smell with even a hint of wine-like flavors.

M- Very thin mouth feel.

O - Overall this is not a particularly good entry in the "Ice" category and there are far better choices in this 5.5 - 5.9 class. I am a big fan of the Genesee Brewing Company, but this stuff just doesn't make the cut with me.

3.22/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Genesee Ice, proudly Costa Rican! Yep, in 2012 Florida Ice and Farm Company S.A.'s subsidiary Cerveceria Costa Rica S.A. purchased Genesee. Sad, but at least the brewery is still alive.

Genesee Ice was introduced in 1993 during the first wave of ice beers in the United States. Not surprising when you consider Genesee Brewing's location in upstate NY.

Rated within the style of macro ice beer, a style I'd like to see have its own category on Beeradvocate.

Can states 5.5% ABV.

A: I can't help but immediately notice the color when pouring this into a pint glass from a 24 ounce can. The can does not list ingredients, and I can't find them online, but I'm willing to guess some caramel coloring was added to achieve this impressive toasted-gold color. A somewhat-tan one-finger head from a moderate pour. The head reduces within a few minutes to a solid ring with an island of foam in the middle. There are a few floaties present when I hold the glass up to a light but the beer is otherwise clear. Patchy lacing that mostly sticks. The can's graphics are worth noting with their bad-ass white on black scheme with silver horizontal pinstripes. This can gets your attention in the cooler!

S: Sweet and metallic. Boozy for the stated ABV. Almost as bad as a sub-sub-premium beer (think Game Day, Big Flats 1901, TailGate) but not quite. Apple juice. I'm getting both fresh mint and cinnamon!? At least it's interesting although not inviting.

T: First sip is off-putting and we are solidly in the sub-sub-premium territory. Subsequent sips are more tolerable and it quickly becomes, once again, interesting. Sweetness quickly switches to dark fruits (blackberry, plum, grapes) that are very noticeable. Hop spiciness. Bready and grainy. Sweeter than most ice beers but not as sweet as Keystone Ice. Impressively balanced. Some caramel before the strong booziness (there it is again) hits. A blind taste test would find me thinking that I was drinking an amber ale. This beer is extremely complex for what it is. There is an off-putting metallic bitterness after swallowing that I dislike and that does not invite me to take another drink.

F: I don't know how but Genesee has managed to make a 5.5% ABV macro ice beer that actually has a noticeable amount of alcohol warming. That's a first for me with a 5.5-5.9% ABV ice beer. Very high and stinging carbonation. Dense for the style and in general. The end result is a creamy mouthfeel.

O: Either I'm overthinking this or Genesee Ice is very complex for a macro ice beer. Interesting in a good way. Boozy in an underated-from-the-factory way. Not sessionable as an ice beer in the drink-til-you-puke way. This is an outsider in the category. I wish this was a beer that was available locally. I look forward to buying it again when I find it.

2.39/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

24oz can poured into a snifter. Canned on June 20th.

A: Pours a light amber gold with a decent white head that is somewhat quick to dissipate. Leaves some lacing on the sides.

S: Sort of a harsh macro lager aroma. Corn sweetness dominates.

T: More malt forward than the regular Genny. As anticipated from the aroma this is a fairly sweet beer for having such little flavor.

M: Light to medium body. A bit sticky but not too bad. Fairly easy drinking as long as its cold.

Overall it fits in with your typical Ice beer. A more malty and boozy version of their base. Think I might rather drink a normal Genny.

1.98/5  rDev -22.7%

purchased a 24 oz can for .99 at Wegmans on 4/25/13.

poured from a can into a mug, served at fridge temp.

medium amber with a 2 finger white head that leaves almost no lacing.

aroma: faint hoppiness, not much else.

mouthfeel: thin

taste: virtually no flavor, as bland as any beer I have had.

notes: I have grown to become a homer for Genny and genuinely like regular Genny, Light and Cream Ale but this is as forgettable and boring as there is. Won't buy this one again.

3.02/5  rDev +18%

Poured from a 24oz can to a pilsner glass

A:poures a verry nice golden orange.nice for a adjunct lager

S:sweet bread,grains not to much smell going on

T:sweet almoast apple cider flavor with some malt and grains at the end not a bad beer but might b to sweet for me

M:crisp and wet verry mouth watering

O:overall a decent adjunct lager dnt know if I will drink it again but glad I tried it I want to try everything lol

Live life drink beer!!!:-)

1.88/5  rDev -26.6%

24 fl oz can, with no apparent freshness date present. First time I have ever seen this beer in my area, although it's probably been around. I thought it might be related to the Labatt Max Ice, but I guess not. Would have rather tried this in a bottle, but oh well. Been trying to tick off as many adjunct lagers and malt liquors as possible as of late. Low expectations for this one, considering. But perhaps I will be surprised.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about a finger of quickly dissipating white carbonated head, audibly sizzling away on top of a clear gold colored body. Slightly darker than typical swill American adjunct lager fare like Miller Lite and Bud Light. Second pour yields about two fingers of fluffy sizzling eggshell white head that recedes quickly.

S - Corn adjuncts and corn husk. Some grain and some roasted malt. Doesn't really smell like anything, to be honest.

T - Light in body, fair level of carbonation considering what it is. Clean, crisp, and smooth. Somewhat malty with a bit of corn adjuncts thrown in. Definitely exceeds my expectations, and comes off as somewhat of a tame beer in comparison with the Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity that I just drank. Not a flavorful or complex beer by any means, but drinkable and inoffensive.

M - Smooth, crisp, wet, and clean feeling. Moderate carbonation, and moderate bodied feel. A little carbonated, but not over-bearing. Mostly just a corn kernel aftertaste.

Overall, definitely not breaking any new ground with this. Another one of the same, simple, boring, generic alcohol delivery vehicles. Corn adjuncts and carbonation. Minus the subtle differences between these types of sub-par swill beverages, it seems that if you've had one, you've had 'em all. Some are however, more foul and putrid than the others. Genesee Ice Beer could probably be classified as one of the more inoffensive American adjunct lagers, but there are way better beers out there. I guess you can't expect much more from a 99 cents tall boy can, and I have definitely had worse beers for more money.

Genesee Ice Beer ---2/5.

3.51/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Daggon this is one good cheap beer.
Drink it from the can always, sometime on special dinners or in certain company pour into a glass.
Smells like a regular American beer, a bit more hops.
Taste is exceptionally disproportional to the price, genesee is delicious, price is Cheap with a capital C, 30 pack is 14$ here in KY.
Mouthfeel makes me think of a lighter alcohol pct. but it is certainly not at 5.9%.
Overall I am appreciative to pass on the knowledge that this is a great beer to keep stocked out in your garage refrigerator for anyone who wants a better than light beer.

1.85/5  rDev -27.7%

A - Typical see-through yellow with a massive frothy white head. Small lacing.

S - Corn, malt, rice, aluminum

T - Sprite, rice, slight grain

M - Heavy carbonation with a light to medium body.

O - Overall, It's just another adjunct lager. No frills.

2.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Drank from the 24oz can.

Smell is somewhat sweet with corn and grain mostly and then a tinge of sweetness and some cooked cabbage.

This tastes like college. Somewhat sweet and grainy with some alcohol in the middle. Goes down with a touch of bitterness and crackery malt. Finishes with a touch of beer pong dirt and funnel foam in my mind.

For the price there are more effective "get you drunk" beers but this has a bit better taste than others. Not great in any aspect but not super bad. Very average.

Genesee Ice Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.