1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Genesee Bock Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Bock BeerGenesee Bock Beer
3.47/5
Okay
Genesee Bock BeerGenesee Bock Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: German Bock

Availability: Spring

Our take on the 16th century German legend has turned out to be a legend in its own right. For every spring since 1951, our brewery has carefully crafted and lagered Genesee Bock Beer. The result is an exceptionally hearty, full-flavored beer with a slight malty finish—and a perfect way to celebrate the snow melt.

View: Beers
Reviews by womara:
3.71/5  rDev +6.9%

4.79/5  rDev +38%

Makes me feel young again. I didn't think they made this any more. Back in my college days this was THE beer. It was said to only be made when the barrels were cleaned. What a treat to find it again. I had some Genessee beer a few months ago, also something from my younger days, but it didn't hold up to my memories. This bock beer has exceeded my memories. It holds up to almost any beer I have ever come across - and there have been many. I could truly recommend this beer. Also, quite affordable. Please try and enjoy - in moderation.

Now where is the Holland Brand in the white bottles?

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is one of Genesee's best offerings. A Straight forward beer that drinks like an Amber lager. Tastes of light caramel, slight cereal grain, and a mild hop bitterness. It is a Well rounded great session beer - especially at the price point (on draft in upstate NY was $3.25).

3.74/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look 7/10
Smell 16/20
Taste 34/40
Feel 7/10
Drinkability 18/20

Overall 82/100

Summery: This beer is amazing for the price. That said, it is $7.99 a 12 pack. Honestly probably the best value per ounce of any beer I have ever had. Still it is an adjunct and does have a sweet malt after taste that isn't great as it warms. Otherwise, smooth clean and tasty~

3.79/5  rDev +9.2%

I'm a big Genesee fan, but I have to say, this really surpasses their usual standards. Who knew they could make such a great beer? I picked it up on a whim, and I'm already halfway through my second 12er. For a budget level beer, it's really exceptional, and can hold its own well above many of the mediocre craft brewers flooding the market today.

3.46/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 oz can in a snifter. This decent bock pours a nice
red tinged light brown color with a very nice head of off white foam
that settles to a thick ring, thin light pooling layer, and shows some
darn nice lacing. Nose of sweet malts, caramel, and subtle breaded
malts that are faint with a hint of orchard fruit. Flavors expand on
the nose with light cherry breaded malts with caramel and brown
sugars with a hint of light bread crust. Decent mouth feel; medium
light body, medium smooth carbonation, and a lightly sweet finish
with a faint wafting herbal hop on the rear.

Overall, nothing to hate and a lot to enjoy from grandads stand by
brew. Mind blowing, no, but it is a session worthy little brew.

Cheers

4.28/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a 12 pack just to try it (it was cheap, I like cheap beer).
I had no expectations, no knowledge of the beer prior to purchase.
What a nice surprise! Very tasty brew. Goes down smooth. Light, clean finish. I'll buy again.
Nice job Genny!

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%

A spring staple for me. All of my ratings are made with price point in mind. Considering that I can get this for $13.50/case, this is a really drinkable and a pleasing bock for me.

Of course it doesn't hold up against other craft bocks but again, for the price, I really enjoy the couple cases a year I buy of this in the spring.

If you're looking for a good "lawnmower Bock", this is your beer.

Really awesome camping beer!!

3.61/5  rDev +4%

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bought on a whim. I was hoping that a $7.99 12pk wouldn't blow up in my face. Ruby-brown out of the can with a massively bubbly white head. Breads and dark fruits take up the nose, but fade quickly away. On the palate, there is some malty, adjunct sweetness, paired with the typical grainy and bready flavors; not much in the way of hops, just enough to dry the back-end out, and a medium body make this very drinkable. This was a very pleasant surprise

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

A - poured from growler, off-white head with good retention topped fiery copper-red body

S - Carrot muffin, the store-bought kind

T - Really nice caramel malt with a hint of chocolate. A bit of peppery spice on the front of the tongue and some acidity on the sides. Hops are understated but not out of line with the style.

M - Refreshing. Enough body to satisfy but easy enough to drink all day. Lingers on the palate, eventually the bitterness collects here.O

O - A beer lover's alternative to Shiner Bock. Not quite as poundable but plenty refreshing and flavorful. Stands up well to calamari; I'd also happily pair with a lightly battered fish and chips or wings. Well done, Genny!

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

3.49/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aroma and flavor is malts, mild fruit and a relatively clean/mildly sweet finish. Comparing it to craft examples isn't fair but it was pretty decent.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Genesee Bock Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.