Genesee Bock Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Bock BeerGenesee Bock Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: Bock

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-07-2008

1.72/5  rDev -50.3%

2.21/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12OZ, Globe Drugs. Weird fizz on opening. OK on color, aroma & flavor.

Overall: not bad, just not my style; my SO liked it. No on re-buy.

2.23/5  rDev -35.5%

CAN you believe that today (01 Mar) is Iceland Beer Day?!? I am having a CAN or two to help celebrate this most auspicious occasion.

My pour produced a finger of ecru head with low retention, quickly becoming wisps. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles gently rising to the surface. Nose was really malty sweet accompanied by a light tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an unpleasant astringency, like gargling with hydrogen peroxide, in the mouth. Oof. Finish was slightly sweeter, but I just could not get past that initial taste. I have a 12-pack, so I CAN revisit this one, but for now, I am sure I will be one of the low scores.

Since my initial review, this beer & CAN has had a ChANce to rest and mellow. Today is M, 18 April 2016. An in-glass swirl raised a brief finger of tawny head with limited retention. Color is Copper-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to peer into the future. Nose was definitely malty, but any perceived sharpness had long since disappeared. Mouthfeel was now medium. The taste was much more earthy, malty, to be sure, but now like freshly-harvested barley. It had definitely improved with age, giving even greater credence to CANs. The finish was semi-sweet and much more palatable than it had been in its infancy.

2.31/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

The best designed can in the world. Pretty good tasting, full flavored, weird mouthful thin but thick at the same time. Slightly roasted flavor, tastes like a mass produced beer, but a decent one.

2.6/5  rDev -24.9%

2.66/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Got this as an extra in a trade from session1979.

Appearance: Pretty dark for a bock - dark amber (like maple syrup). Gentle carbonation within and a thin, fizzy, head on top. Not much lace to speak of. P: 3.5; N: 3.5

Smell: Funk, sugar (caramel?) and spice. Not sure if this is good funk or bad funk... it's just funk. P: 2.5; N: 2.5

Taste: A little molasses on top of a malt backbone. Very slight alcoholic sting. P: 2.0; N: 3.0

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body and slick - seems to dive down the throat. Good warming and chewy with medium carbonation. P: 2.5; N: 2.5

Drinkability: This is a weak bock (Nick speaking here). Thin and chewy and nearly flavorless. I'm not much of a bock fan anyway, but this one was sub-par for the style. P: 4.0; N: 2.5

Peter: C- (2.65)
Nick: C (2.9)

2.66/5  rDev -23.1%

12fl oz can poured into my flute

Pours a dark bronze color with a medium tan three inch head. Good head retention that subsides above average and leaves a little foam on the edges of the beer. No lacing was noticed.

Smell is pretty much one sided with a hint of caramel and biscuit like malts.

Taste is just as the smell with just a hint of caramel and slightly biscuit like malts.

Mouthfeel is thin and has average carbonation

Overall this lacked flavor and I would not want to drink this beer again when there are better beers in the same style category.

2.71/5  rDev -21.7%

This was a bit of a let down, because I really enjoy Genesee Cream Ale.

I like the looks of this beer.

It has a , clear copper color. An off white head. Really looks nice in the glass.

The retro can is cool too.

The mouthfeel is a little watery.

It has a faint malty smell.
Malty flavor, that leaves a cardboard taste in the mouth.

Maybe Bock beers are just not for me.

2.73/5  rDev -21.1%

Purchased from Warehouse Beverage in S. Euclid, I think it was $6.99 for 12. I also had a $10 bottle of Hoppin Frog so it helped balance the beer budget.

Genesee Bock is all about nostalgia for me. I remember buying cases of the stuff in college. Back then it was considered one of the best full-bodied brews you could buy, thank God those days are gone.

Appearance: A quick pour into my glass produced 3" of foam that quickly dissipated to a small film coating on the reddish-copper brew.

Smell: Not much to smell but it hints of root beer.

Taste: Sweet and malty with no balance of hops.

Mouthfeel: Weak, carbonation is gone after about 15 minutes.

Drinkability: I can't have more than one, its just too malty. It really reminds me of root beer, I'll drink one for nostalgia but not 2 or 3.

I realize now that I must take the remaining 11 cans out of the Fridge. It is how it was years ago, all malt. Pretty can design though.

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

Genesee Bock Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.