Genesee Bock Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Bock BeerGenesee Bock Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Reviews: 138 | Ratings: 294
3.29/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a mug

Appearance - clear dark amber color with frothy white head

Smell - this is faint; honey, malts is what I pick up

taste - malt, caramel, bread, hops

mouthfeel - medium bodied, medium carbonation, fairly smooth and straightforward, slightly sweet, bubbly on the finish

overall - pretty good beer, one of the best offerings I've had from Genesee, at the price point, definetly worth checking out

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts and caramel. Taste is rather mild, some malts, a hint of caramel, not a whole lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this makes for a decent beer.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz can into a glass, served at fridge temp.

Dark amber with a 2 finger creme brulee head that recedes quickly and leaves a thinnish head.

Aroma: malty sweet with just a hint of hops. No lacing to speak of.

mouthfeel: good

taste: adjuncts come through, thinnish malt with some sweetness followed vegetal hops and a faint metallic aftertaste. Toasted caramel re-asserts itself at the end.

notes: appearance is nice, aroma is good. Taste is a disappointment.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours copper with a fluffy tan head that descends to a thin cover, leaving some lacing.

The smell is of some caramel with a touch spicy hops.

The taste is of sweet caramel with a touch of earthy hop spicing. Something "macro-ish" in the taste that I can't quite pinpoint, but it's there.

It is light-to-light-side of medium. Mild carbonation.

Easy-drinking enough in a "no frills" sort of way. Cheap - only about seven bucks for a 12-pack. Not bad, but nothing special.

3.27/5  rDev -5.2%

Well, I am just about done with the 12 pack I picked up a few weeks ago and decided that I should review one before they are finished. Was very happy to see this brew, I can remember selling it when I worked at a Grand Union about 17 years ago. Well anyway, this brew poured to a deep amber color with shat I would call brown highlights. The head has a light tan color, quite small and breaks down quickly, minimal lacing. The aroma has caramel malts come through, slight grain presence. The taste is fair with caramel,slight hop presence and a slight metallic flavors. Has a slight dry finish to it. Overall, I would pick this up a few ties during the spring if Genesee continues to make it. Worth the $6.49 a 12 pack. Not the greatest brew but one that has some character and it is somewhat local.

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gotta love the goat. My review probably won't be as high as my emotional attachment to this beer. Being from Rochester, I'm partial to Genny. And this is Genny's best offering. That's not to say it's great, but it's the best Genny has to offer.

It pours a good head, a nice golden color and strong carbonation. It has a sweet smell and an almost buttery taste up front. A little bitter on the backside, but drinkable.

Love seeing the goat arriving on store shelves. I believe this beer is in limited run, so I grab it when I can.

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Pours a dark golden color that is crystal clear with a finger of slightly tan head with reasonable retention and some lacing throughout the glass.

S - Aroma is mostly light malty and biscuity aromas, but there is a bit of off-putting skunkiness.

T - The taste at first is similar to the aroma, light, malty and biscuity with no real hop flavor. However, near the back of the tongue and aftertaste is a bit skunky, like it was lightstruck or made use of some saaz hops.

M - Mouthfeel is very light and crisp, exactly what I would expect for a bock.

D - A pretty average bock, reasonably priced and probably the best beer made by Genesee I've ever had, but if you're a bock fan, there are better choices.

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%

Genesee Bock Beer is a crystal clear reddish amber beer with a soft, pillowy, off-white head that leaves fluffy lacing on the glass. I would like to note that it's about the coolest looking beer can I've ever seen. It looks like it came straight from the 1970's. The aroma is fresh sweet grainy malt with a touch of pretzels. It has a medium-light body that's smooth and slick. It's quenching. It is very simple and smooth-- slightly sweet, but mostly bread-like. The flavor is pretzel-like, as the aroma is. The hops are on the distant horizon. It's very mellow. What an awesome session ale! It's like six bucks for a twelver over at Wegmans. I'm gonna go buy one right now!
(rated Mar 11, 2008)

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims in Cincinnati. The beers price comes out to about .45 cents a can roughly. Definately an all time great budget minded brew.

Appearance: The beer has a brown reddish hue. The head is thick about 2.5 inches tall. Nice foamy and with an off biege coloration. Great head retention. Rings of foam line my glass marking its passage.

Smell: Probably the weakest point of the beer is the aroma. The beers aroma almost makes the leap away from grain. The beer has a suggestion of toasted caramel maltyness.

Taste: The flavor of the beer is of toasted grain and a bit of caramel. A bit of bitterness brings the beer back to respectability. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer is crisp and clean all the way around. The body of the beer is a bit light for my taste. In all honesty this is a good beer. This would see more appearances in my home if it wasnt a seasonal.

3.23/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I must admit that like the other reviewers the packaging caught my attention. I'd never seen this beer before and had no idea what to expect, but for $8 a 12pack I figured why not.

A = typical brownish hue I'd expect from a bock beer

S = not many prevalent smells here. maybe a slight sweet and crackery smell and that's about it.

T = very smooth with a slight bread-ish taste. the finish is very inoffensive and no bitter aftertaste was noted.

M = maybe a little heavier than a typical american macro, but not by much. carbonation level is definitely lower than most american macros.

D = I could definitely drink 6 or so of these in one sitting. not bad.

3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Retro green 12 oz. can that's decorated with small yellow daisies and a small goat dancing with a daisy in its mouth. On the bottom of the can is some kind of brewery code. It sure isn't any best before date.

When poured into a Stoudt's pint glass, this Bock beer is a clear dark copper amber with a decent 1/2 inch head of fizzy white foam. This head of foam quickly fizzled away into a handful of bubbly rings along the edge and single spot of lace. I was surprised to see that the color of this beer was so good.

The aroma was grainy, but not a bad Macro grainy aroma. Yeah the grainy aroma consisted of corn and rice, but it wasn't all that bad. Behind the grains was a subtle touch of apple juice and a small dash of cinnamon.

The only way I can describe the beer is that it is grainy with malt, corn, and rice, but it was a good grainy taste. The grains weren't overly sweet. They were just right for this beer After the grains is where it got interesting. Did my taste buds find chocolate or coffee? Nope! They instead found a few spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Very interesting and unique Bock taste.

This is a light bodied beer with a lightly sweet grainy aftertaste of malted grains and a dash of cinnamon. I honestly thought this Bock was going to be watery, but it wasn't at all. There wasn't any taste of water anywhere in this beer.

Not a bad beer at all! This beer surprised me a little. I knew it was probably going to be grainy, but what got me was that it was a good grainy taste. I wouldn't mind having another one of these real soon.

3.21/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a couple of 12 packs of this at Wegmans, on sale for $5.99. Are you kidding me at that price? I think I might need to get a few more 12ers.

Pours a clear copper color with a fizzy, foamy light beige head that easily fills the pint glass and crowns over the top. Given that it's on the fizzy side it settles pretty quickly, settling to a thin lace and not leaving much stick.

Smell has some caramel and toasted malt and that prototypical Genny grainy aroma. It's on the weak side and the Genny aroma does not appeal to me, generally speaking.

Taste has some caramel sweetness but leans more toward the toasted and grain flavors. I don't love that Genny smell but it doesn't bother me as much taste-wise. It's entirely decent - too thin and a bit watery but good flavor nonethless.

Mouthfeel is definitely on the thin side, light bodied with a watery feel to it. But it's crisp and relatively clean.

As I said before this is an entirely decent beer. It's not a standout by any means, but especially given the price it's an outstanding value. For the rock bottom price it's hard to beat it. I'll gladly store a few 12ers of these in the basement to serve as cheap session brews when I'm just looking to knock back a few.

3.21/5  rDev -7%

poured a deep crystal clear copper, small white head that turned to a film then nonexistent, no lacing noticed
smell is lacking but traces of mostly alcohol and grass
taste is light macro but with a bit of actual malt some what sweet but not cloying
mouthfeel is light finishes crisp
drinkablity- nothing spectacular but for $7 after tax and deposit for 12 I'm in

Best cans ever

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours amber with a cheapish looking head. Very clear. Smell is a little sweet, watery. No trace of hops. Tastes of caramel and adjuncts- the perfect sweet combo that makes this really a Bock. The creamy sweetness is sort of like drinking a marshmallow. The rich and creamy body to it that screams out "Genesee" to me but definitely a few steps up from the standard Genny Light. Easy and fun to drink.

Was happy to pick this one up- a great alternative to the Key Light monopoly on Beirut and a fun beer to show off to your friends for a more than reasonable price. I've bought 2 12 packs of this so far for myself and will keep buying it as my "cheap beer of choice."

3.18/5  rDev -7.8%

The retro packaging certainly gets your attention. The 12 pack box is green with yellow flowers, the big genesee logo with a goat leaping in the air. This poured a clean amber brown with a thick foamy beige head. The lacing is plentiful. The smell is sweet and malty with a strong grain presence. The taste is similar to the smell. The nasty harsh grain flavor that is present in beers such as genny and genny ice isn't present here. Clean and refreshing.
This isn't your normal bock but it isn't bad and it certainly reminds me of the red and cream ale in terms of flavor. The feel is slick.
I could pound half this 12 pack in a short amount of time. It is drinkable and refreshing. Not a masterpiece but for $6.99 you can't go wrong!

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%

heard about this beer from my family , finally found it on a beer run this afternoon.
poured from the light green retro can , into a pint glass with a dark amber color. some lacing around the glass , nice malty aroma. this being my venture into bock beers . pleasant mouthfeel . solid drinability .
after tasting this genny product its a shame this is a limited release.

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz can into a pint glass. Very cool can design btw. Pours a crystal clear darkish brown with a half finger off-white head. Poor head retention and lacing but I really wasn’t expecting a whole to out of this beer. Aroma has burnt caramel, toffee, and some molasses. Perhaps a touch of corn as well. More caramel on the taste along with molasses and a quick whiff of alcohol. Light corn with a little grassy hop character. Slightly sticky with very little bitterness and a bit of a thin mouthfeel. Overall, while this is far from a great beer or a good example of the style, it is very refreshing and quite tasty considering the price. A beer I like to pick up every spring.

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Solid green with the goat and the classic Genny logo. It stuck me, mainly because I've had every Genny product save two that are hard to get where I am, so I bought the case for $6.99 and I'll say, yeah, retro packaging is cool.

A: Good yellowish head, with slight lace that went away quickly and left a light brown brew.

S: A little malt, a touch of hops, a little can, average.

M: slight bitter, light malt wash, caramel aftertaste

T: Macro stab at a former macro style. Malt is front but subdued, hops are there but light, caramel sweetness says hello with a slight kick from the alcohol. Tastes a little of the corn used at the very end.

D: Good, and I will buy it again while it's available. This is a change as I've come to appreciate the upped flavor right from the can. I'm not the biggest fan of bock beers and only Celebrator has really showed me what a bock could/should be. Worth a try for the price.

3.11/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this directly from the can, so I'll rate the appearance based on the can's looks. I really enjoy the design. Smelled of malts and a touch of cooked corn. Who cares, it's good old Genesee, it's their signature. However, I found the taste to be pretty bland. Nothing off-putting, just really light and bland. I wish they could up it a touch, oh well. Smooth and Genny-like. Could do a few no problem. A good beer to have a casual burger cookout with.

3.1/5  rDev -10.1%

I went to a BCCA show in New Cumberland PA and saw this beer. Genny is an old regional which has always been quite popular in PA especially once you get above Reading or so. I looked on this site on saw some respectable reviews but couldnt find it in the Lancaster or Kennett area.

Quite pleasantly I went to State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD and saw twelve packs for about $6.25. State Line use to be quite a cheap buy for macros and big regionals but they have moved to primarily craft beers. I was buying Coors Light, Mich Ultra, Yuengling Lager and some Dad B-day Scotch when I saw Genny Bock (with its green can) and grabbed it.

The bottle poured a nice one to two finger head, which quickly disappeared as did the bubbles in the glass. The beer was a nice amber color.

The aroma is kind of a mix of grains and malt. So is the smell. Another beer which has a nice color but the taste is above average, not spectacular. If you are planning to drink the twelve pack in one sitting this is a nice beer. Not quite at the craft level but a six bucks for a twelve pack this beer is a the top of the taste/price matrix. It beats out Lionshead as that beer's price has risen. Apparently you can get this beer in Rochester for$7-$8 bucks a case which is phenomenal conisdering I used to buy National Bohemian in the late 80s for $5 a case and that beer was no where near this one. I suppose college kids in Rochester are spoiled.

On a closing note, if High Falls spent a little more on this beer it could be a great beer for $15 per case vs. a good beer for $12 per case (where I bought it). I will definitely buy more of this. In the old days big brewers like Pabst and a lot of regional brewers used to make bock beers on a regular basis, I imagine this is what many of the better ones tasted like. I hope this beer sticks and maybe is the start of a new trend. Maybe will see a Pabst Bock one of these days. This beer reminds me of the PA regionals like Yuengling, Straub Dark and IC's Augustiner (most similar). Also reminds me of Shiner Bock. Its really kinda of a hidden treasure. Nice Job Genny!

P.S. I love the regional brewers like High Falls, Matt, Lion and IC. I hope they are around forever. America is about choice! Anyone can brew a great beer for $30 a case, it takes skill to brew a nice beer for $12 a case.

3.09/5  rDev -10.4%

I snagged this while in New York, the retro packaging sucked me in. It looks good from the pour, a nice orange brown with a thick head that lingers momentarily. Much darker than any macro beer I've ever had. The aroma is sweet and grainy with not too much else besides a hint of dry toastiness. The flavor is a bit better, with just a bit of malty sweetness, and hints of caramel. The graininess I associate with most macros is still there but it's muted a bit. I think that if compared to craft beers of the style this one come up short, but if you compare it to other macros it is breath of fresh air.

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

A - poured from growler, off-white head with good retention topped fiery copper-red body

S - Carrot muffin, the store-bought kind

T - Really nice caramel malt with a hint of chocolate. A bit of peppery spice on the front of the tongue and some acidity on the sides. Hops are understated but not out of line with the style.

M - Refreshing. Enough body to satisfy but easy enough to drink all day. Lingers on the palate, eventually the bitterness collects here.O

O - A beer lover's alternative to Shiner Bock. Not quite as poundable but plenty refreshing and flavorful. Stands up well to calamari; I'd also happily pair with a lightly battered fish and chips or wings. Well done, Genny!

3.07/5  rDev -11%

Appearance - a fine looking orange/amber color, looks like an OFest. Almost two fingers of creamy light tan head. Not long-lived but puts up a nice chunky ring of lace around the high water mark and a few pillar-like columns down the glass.

Aroma - very standard grain, MGD-like.

Taste - perhaps the 'cream ale' of bocks? The graininess is almost that of a standard lager level, but with a Milleresque flavor. Some nice caramel malt flavor present once the palate adjusts a bit, a little toastiness to boot. I have to say, for a beer with elements of macro, this also has a nice flair of good flavor running through it as well.

Mouthfeel - light and crisp, not what I'd want from a bock, but there is a note of smoothness.

Drinkability - not a true bock in terms of strength, but it has some bock character in the taste. Not the worst spring beer, I'd have a few more.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

Thanks goes out to JoeyBeerBelly for this brew.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden amber color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus fizzy off-white head, not much sticky lacing at all. The nose is malty and lots of caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, with lots of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a tasty brew.

3.04/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a can into a Sam Adams style pint glass.

Appearance: Poured with a relatively quickly dissipating head and is a brilliant copper color that is crystal clear.

The smell is malty and slightly hoppy with sort of weird tinny smell that reminds me of beer being kept in a can too long.

Taste: Malty with hints of hops, a little on the watery side, but only noticeable if being critical. Fades to a nice clean malt finish.

Mouthfeel: I thought this one was going to be overcarbed and I was wrong. Good carbonation for style, slightly low on body.

Overall impression: This beer is an enjoyable but average bock style beer that has one big thing going for it, cost. It cost about 7 bucks for the 12er. This is probably a beer that will go into the rotation simply for this reason.

Genesee Bock Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.