Genesee Bock Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Bock BeerGenesee Bock Beer
Liked This Beer
3.46 w/ 313 ratings
Genesee Bock BeerGenesee Bock Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Liked:
3.46/5
Alströms:

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Sweet can. I love the old school can as well as the $6.45 price tag for a 12 pack. This brew poured wonderful reddish amber, with an off white head. The head is frothy and leaves good lacing on the glass. The aroma is of light malts and straw, adjusted with corn or rice. Also there is just a hint of caramel. The taste is sweet and malty, bready and pretzel like. Hops are almost a nonfactor. The palate is medium bodied creamy and smooth. Finish is short and sweet. Overall not outstanding but a good beer at a great price.

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 12oz CAN into a 20oz imperial pint. Special thanks to woodychandler for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a chestnut-orange, tarnished copper color with 1/2 a finger of light tan foam on top. Retention was fleeting with the head quickly melting down to a thick and sloppy ring that didn't leave much lace.

S: Hars to geet much of a nose here. What I did notice was caramel, mild citrus, tootsie roll, and stale box of Sunmaid raisins.

T: Right off the bat, there was flavors of caramel and raisins. This was followed by flavors of dried wildflowers, dusty lemon-y hops, and bread crust.

M: Smooth and slightly oily with a pleasant hoppy prickle. Finishes on the dry side with a bit of citrus tang and roasted malt.

D: I found this to be quite enjoyable. I understand the pricing on this is very agreeable as well. Good show!

Served in a pint glass

A : pours a beautiful brownish amber with a thin brown tinted head

S : yeasty with a fruit element

T : wheat undertones well offset by hops, spice, fruit, and hints of smokey caramel

M : fast start and clean finish

D : with its ABV near 5 and clean finish, more of a drinker than most other bocks

this is a historical favorite of mine, drank this before I knew what quality craft beers were

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

Got "The Goat" in a trade with Phillyduke.

12oz can, served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear, copper color with a short beige head that went away after a few minutes.

S - sweet, grainy aroma.

T - sweet and somewhat malty flavor with a slight bitterness on the finish before leaving a sweet after taste on the lips.

F - light/medium bodied with a clean carbonation feel.

D - a good, easy to drink brew.

Final Note: I have a soft spot in my heart for Genesee, as for as long as I've been able to consume alcoholic beverages legally (30 years) Genny has always been there for me. I'm a big fan of the Cream Ale and now I'm also a fan of "The Goat".

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Two 12oz cans in a large Wiezen glass. And many more after that.

A: Pours a clear, deep chestnut body with two full inches of creamy tan froth. Ok retention, moderate lace. Pretty darn attractive.

S: Entirely clean and quite pleasant, with nuttiness and some dark fruit notes being most prominent. Definitely on the malty side, which I like in a Bock. Really nice.

T: Starts out deliciously malty. Some caramel sweetness shows up midway though, and just a hint of bitterness lends balance on the finish. Everything's really nice.

M: Soft, well-carbonated and a bit on the light side of medium-bodied. Pleasant.

O: I've enjoyed it for many years, it's a genuinely good Bock, and for the price it's simply outstanding. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a high flavor-to-cost ratio.

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, sample from the brewery.

Sizable froth, dark brassy hue with a perfect clarity. Smells of toasted bread crust and crackers, very malty and clean. Touch of malty sweetness to start, quick layers of toasted grain and bread open up on the palate. Smooth and crisp with a medium sized body. Semi-dry finish. A solid malt forward lager, true to style and very clean.

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- A beautiful shade of dark amber with a frothy, slightly tan head that really sticks around.

Smell- Burnt sugar, caramel, molasses, and just a slight hint of that corn adjunct-like smell you'd get in their cream ale.

Taste- Follows the nose. More subtle than I was hoping for, but I think I may have been expecting too much as someone who is accustomed to dark beers over 10%. The flavor that is here though, is truly excellent.

Feel- Very light and smooth, perfect for the style, and perfect for a Spring seasonal on a hot day (Or, a snow day, if you're me.)

Overall- One of the best "bang for your buck" beers out there. I could drink this any day and be happy.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a wonderful copper brown. Has hues of amber and gold and has a creamy persistent head of off white foam. Nose is malty. Soft round bready malt with a touch of sweetness. No hops scent except for the idea of grass. There's corn on this nose as it's part of the malt character but it does not smell like corny sweetness. It has a light scent to the nose. The taste is excellent. Clean, a touch sweet with a bit of caramel. Has no hop flavors. Really excellent and no bitterness form hops either. They are a part of the mouthfeel though as they dry on the palate lightly in the crisp finish. The corn does lighten the flavor while it is not excessively sweet. In the finish it's crisp, just dry and lingers softly and sweetly. Not cloying, nodiacetyl which is often just a slickness without a heavy buttery taste, and has no alcohol on the palate. The only criticism I have is that I think the corn keeps it from being as malty rich as it might have been without it . But it is very well done and adds lightness to the flavor and drinkability. The mouthfeel is thinner side of medium.

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz can into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to Hopstoopid120 for throwing this one my way to review.

T: Starts out deliciously malty, with fig and walnut leading the way. Some caramel sweetness shows up midway though, and just a hint of bitterness lends balance on the finish. Everything's really nice up until the aftertaste, which is marred by a metallic note. Still good despite that flaw, though.

O: I wasn't expecting too much, but this really impressed me. It's a genuinely good Bock, and for the price it's simply outstanding. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a high flavor-to-cost ratio.

Cheers!

3.79/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can into Great Lakes pint glass.

Nice brownish amber color that lets some light through. Left some lacing on the glass.

Nice malty smell, slightly sweet.

Mostly malts with just a bit of hop bitterness in the finish.

Smooth and not too carbonated.

Awesome beer for the price. Good flavor and drinkability. Definitely worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm a big Genesee fan, but I have to say, this really surpasses their usual standards. Who knew they could make such a great beer? I picked it up on a whim, and I'm already halfway through my second 12er. For a budget level beer, it's really exceptional, and can hold its own well above many of the mediocre craft brewers flooding the market today.

Review adapted from notes taken 4/3/2010

Appearance: Copper/amber color with a head that fades fast - some actual lacing though

Smell: Grainy, sweet, biscuity - nothing too exciting in the nose

Taste: Sweet, toasty malts - very biscuity - some subtle yet interesting hops - some grainy weirdness that kind of reminds me of sweet corn - all in all, surprisingly tasty

Mouthfeel: Crisp, very light, fizzy, some graininess but mostly smooth

Overall: Absurdly drinkable - given the ABV, the price, and the overall impression of this beer, I would be more than happy to keep it in my fridge year-round

With all due respect to Genesee, this beer almost seems better than it has any right to be. It is ridiculously cheap, yet it is legitimately good. The price to quality ratio for this beer makes me genuinely giddy. When it finally reaches Rhode Island this year, I am going to buy cases. I desire more of this sweet biscuit corn soda!

3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

This was a good surprise. At 6.99 a 12 pack, I was expecting another piss yellow faux-bock (search "Super Bock" and you'll know what I mean). Pours a great copper like color with a 1-2 finger head that sticks pretty well. Not a crazy complex nose, but hints of caramel malts are definitely noticeable. Flavor is remarkably smooth and has a substantially larger malt character than expected.

I loved this stuff. I'll definitely seek it out again.

3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

And then i tried the goat beer again. ..

The first thing that fines to mind is how how much the label increases the consumers expectations. But after a while i realize the pre_pre_pregame pretense whereaswas all lie.

This was a fad beer from 2005. Whilst well hydrating, it didn't realy satisfy.

I enjoy this for the shear fact of its aroma and smell. The tradeoff in taste is upsetting. Maybe a touch too much carbonation.? The stink is infatuating. It remind s me of that thing you picked, found repulsive even close to vomiting, then smelled again out of shear bewilderment of how bad it actually stunk. Its like that Cleveland browns season after they lost all the games last year, but you just know its going to work this year. ..that was 12 years ago and you still think it's cute to dress your 2 year old in a Brown's jersey and don't see any thing wrong with it. That is what i think of the smell

I sip hoping the malt will mature but it never does, nor do the hops "manifest" ever.

Over all,it is what it is: a relic of an attempt of a dying brand to remain relevant. I still buy it after 11 years from now and then because of that stupid goat. And this beer challenges me to understand what i haveliked and what i am going too do About it
Every time

3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

Third year I purchased a 12 of Genny Bock---first review.

Looks great pouring a deep copper color with quick to fade head. Smells of malt and faint hops---nothing overwhelming. Taste is great! Malt dominates with nice bitter hoppiness. Goes down easy and would be a great beer with food. Tremendous value!! Hats off to Genny!!

3.77/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. can labeled: 0153-11:53. Sampled on June 25, 2013.

The pour is a medium to mahogany brown with a substantial head that settles down shortly. Busy carbonation.

The aroma is full of caramel malt sweetness, brown sugar, and molasses. Minimal hop aroma.

The body is medium and slightly acidic.

The taste is sweet and malty upfront with a slight moderate hop bitterness at the end. While not as strong ABV as some I have had I happen to like this one and find it to be very drinkable.

3.77/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +8.7%

Looks pretty decent. A nice light brown color and not much head but I'm not taking my brews on a date or home to meet the folks so honestly that's not very relevant to me.

Smell is nothing remarkable. Smells sweeter than it tastes. I'm having a hard time describing the smell other than "sweet" as this beer has substantially more flavor than aroma.

The taste is very lovely. Fresh and earthy. Just like Spring! Kind of grassy and hay like with some caramel and a very slight hoppy bitterness. Love it. They did a good job giving us something perfect for the transition into warm weather. Not too heady but not too bland.

Mouthfeel is good. It's definitely a got a fair amount of carbonation but not too watery considering it's a Genesee product.

I try not to judge beers based only on the price but this one gets high marks for being an unbelievable value. I was drawn in by the cute retro packaging and the price, however I was extremely surprised when I first tried this. It's the first year I've seen it available in my area and I've turned on a LOT of my friends to this brew. I've probably bought five or six 12 packs of this since I found it in February. I'm already mourning the end of "Goat Season".

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Genesee Bock Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 29.4% out of 100 with 313 ratings