Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dundee Stout | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee StoutDundee Stout
3.5/5
Good
Dundee StoutDundee Stout

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Stout

Added by jadpsu on 03-24-2010

3.5

4.6/5  rDev +31.4%

So I decided to support my local brewers, and review a few of their line. I had this from a bottle (nice logo!) to my Groom's beer Mug

This is my first Stout review.

Appearance is dark cola looking, light to no foam or lace.

Smell is malty, burnt woods. (not bad smelling)

Taste is drinkable IMO since again this is my first stout for review, it is rather nice to have a bold beer compared to the usually macros, I have been accustomed to.

Mouth-feel is fizzy (alcohol carbonation feel) I get a malty burnt after taste, with a hint of dark chocolate and some coffee.

Drinkable, gets better with every sip, and for my first stout I am not turned off, but rather intrigued to sip some more, I can see it as a "baby sittin'" type beer not a guzzler more of slow mode. I like!

I had more, and like the Beer even more!!!

OK so I can't stop thinking about this beer, and wanting to try more, more, more! I have been converted!

4.55/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

appearance - 4.5/5 - Pours a 2 finger off white head. Very dark, but not completely black.

smell - 4.5/5 - Smells sweet and roasty.

taste - 4.5/5 - It has a nice roasty flavor and a malt profile that both perfectly match the aromas. It has a nice dry bite to it.

mouthfeel - 5/5 - Moderate amount of carbonation lets the roasty flavors stick out while enhancing the dry bite.

overall - 4.5/5 - A very solid stout that's not too heavy but not wimpy. It definitely focuses on roasty malts!

4.45/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drank straight from the bottle.

Nice dark beer, with a thin tan lace.

Taste is of very dark chocolate. Has a nice little bite to it at the end. Taste almost like it should be a porter. My girlfriend has only rcently began to drink beer, she loves this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +26.3%

A: It poured a typical black with a real nice head, that dissipated quickly, but maintained about 1/8" head the rest of the way that stuck to the side the whole way down.

S: smelled like a good stout. Definitely malty with some good roasted/toasted malt smells.

T: good coffee and chocolate flavors. I never tasted anything alcoholic or metallic. This tastes like many more highly regarded stouts.

M: not too thin and not too thick. Just right.

O: I really like this stout. For a sub 6% ABV stout I would easily buy many more of these and drink them again. I kept it in a fridge and as it warmed up it got much better and the coffee and chocolate flavors came out much better. Even straight out of the fridge it was good, but like your more highly rated stouts, this one got better as it warmed up. This beer is very drinkable and enjoyable as it never comes across as heavy.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

This beer pours dark brown almost black. It has a small off white head with good clinging potential. Nose of sweet roasted malts, cocoa and roasted coffee beans.

Taste is pretty awesome as far as mild stouts go. Like the bottle says dark and drinkable. Very very drinkable. It is predominatly roasted malts and chocolate with a little bit of floral hops in the initial sip. Silky smooth and almost as creamy as they come. I was surprised at how great this beer feels on the tongue.

Definetly worth a try especially if your looking for a lighter stout, one that you could drink a lot of in the summer.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured a really dark brown color from a 12 oz 'twist-cap' bottle, with no ABV or freshness date on the label. Looks pitch black in the glass with little to no light penetration.
One finger tan head that dissipates fairly quickly.
Very malty upfront as soon as it was poured, but slowly the roasted maltiness gave way to a more sweeter caramel, milk chocolate/cocoa aroma. The aroma goes back and forth as the beer warms up.
Taste is much milder than the roasted malt aroma that is evident upfront. More on the sweeter side with a hint of bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied stout that is simply delicious.
Not much lacing along the insides of the glass
In my opinion this is perhaps the best beer brewed by Genesee/Dundee. For the price at which it is sold, this is probably the best stout there is out in the market.
Definitely worth a try and comes highly recommended.
I see myself having this stout again without any hesitation.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

Extremely smooth, one of my favorite stouts already with only one.

4.24/5  rDev +21.1%

Bottle into my Magic Hat pint glass.

A- Way less head that I'd expected, mocha colored. Seems like smaller bubbles that usual, but this may be a product of my imagination.

S- Not a hint of booze in the smell. A lot of chocolate and some toffee notes. Solid stout smell. Roasty.

T- No booze. Roasted malt and a little bit of chocolate. Much like the smell. Great "stout" taste. Nothing crazy, but nothing bad either. Little if any after-taste. Definitely on the dry side. The cleanest tasting stout I've ever had (other than Guinness, but that hardly tastes like anything in the first place). Not bitter, but not overly sweet.

M- Creamy, but quaffable. Good balance. Carbonation pretty much absent.

D- Excellent. The lack of bitter aftertaste means I won't get sick of this. Great beer. Nothing super crazy or complex, but a really solid offering. I'll be buying more of this for sure.

Reminds me of a Schwarzbier, but better.

4.2/5  rDev +20%

I get a caramel malt smell that is reminiscent of a scotch ale with dark roasted malts in there as well. A very smooth beer with a bit of spicy hop in the beginning then caramel, dark roasted and coffee malts dominating with smoothness and then ending with an earthy hop taste but hardly any bitterness.

The only thing is the mouthfeel lacks a bit and isnt as full as I'd expect from a stout. As it warms the feel gets better though. The taste makes up for it as a good stout should taste. If all thats wrong with it is the a slightly watery body only most noticeable when cold, doesnt lower the my liking of the beer that much at all.

Like I said as this warms it gets more stout like as you should drink stouts at a higher temperature. The earthy hop they use is perfect for the dark roasted malts and this is my favorite part of the beer. It almost reminds me of top notch stouts like the Dogfish Head Chicory Stout. I'm actually very impressed with Dundee.

4.19/5  rDev +19.7%

Bold two finger head of light brown bubbles. Not a lot of lace and no cling. Nice aromas of coffee, chocolate, toffee, nutmeg, muskmelon, and malt. Flavors, much like the smell, dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, caramel, toffee, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sweet barley malt. Creamy feeling in my mouth. Good desert beer, maybe with chocolate cake or chocolate cheesecake. Good to drink alone. Will drink more, if I can find in a six pack.

4.13/5  rDev +18%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle sampled on April 15, 2010. My beer for tax day. The pour is a very dark brown to just about black and the only way to catch some ruby hues is by holding it to the light. The head is about a quarter-inch thick of silky light brown. The aroma is rich in dark roasted chocolate with a distant backgound of cherry and malts. Not a lot of hoppiness in the scent. The body was bold but not heavy. The taste swirled with roasted sweet malts and chocolate coated with a faint smoky sensation. Extremely drinkable. I enjoyed this stout quite a lot and I think it is one of the better Dundee family brews I have tried.

4.12/5  rDev +17.7%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle has no freshness date or abv% but there is a nice description of the beer on the back label.

Appearance: It pours a very dark brown/black color with a 1 and a half inch tan collar of foam head. This head fades quickly to a ring of slick lace that just slides down the glass as I drink.

Smell: There are notes of roasted/toasted malt, caramel and black coffee.

Taste/Palate: The flavor has a just off dry toasted malt character with a touch of bitter coffee and mild hops. Its mild sweetness in the background is caramely. The finish is quick and dry, with a smooth and creamy lightly carbonated palate.

Notes: This beers flavor reminds me a lot of Guinness Draught but with out the nitro/metallic edge and a little more body.

4.12/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Pours a pitch black with a thin tan head colors are great looking bubbles flutter to the top.

S: Molases Chocolate maybe a hint of Licorice, almost no hops smell.

T: Rich chocolate and molases def and there is a light hoppy note at the back.

M: Nice light feel not norrmally found in a stout very refreshing.

D: very drinkable mine was great with a pepper-jack cheese burger fresh off the grill.

4.11/5  rDev +17.4%

Dundee continues to impress me with their modestly priced craft variety packs. These beers rival their more expensive counterparts, and in some cases, surpass them in quality, and this is one of those beers. This is easily one of my top 5 stouts, and I'm a huge stout fan. It's not as good as as Lion stout or New Holland's "The Poet" but for the money this stout can't be beat. It came in a variety pack with Dundee IPA (as always), Pale Bock Lager (as always), and a Kolsch style ale. All of these beers are good, but I'm not a big fan of the Kolsch, mainly because I just don't care for that style much at all, but the others are all good, but this stout definitely stands out from the rest of the pack's offerings.

Just a good overall stout. Silky and creamy, with hints of chocolate and coffee; everything a good stout should be. I so wish that Dundee would sell this stout alone in a 12 pack, but it's only available in the variety pack.

But this is a fantastic brew, certainly worthy of buying the entire pack for.

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

It's an 8-ball in a bottle wearing a brown frothy hat on top. It's a black hole, no light getting thru.

The smells are subtle, you have to search for them. When you find then, you'll note coffee and chocolate, and as it warms, a little roasty note.

Same thing goes for the taste. A little bit of coffee mixed with some chocolate.

You don't get much sweetness or bitter because the beer is soooo creamy.

This is easy to drink, even if you don't like stouts because it's got very gentle flavors and it so creamy and smooth that it goes down very easily. You'll find yourself wanting a second...and a third.

Dundee Stout from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.