Dundee Stout | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee StoutDundee Stout
Liked This Beer
3.5 w/ 254 ratings
Dundee StoutDundee Stout

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States

3.5/5
Alströms:
3.5

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

When I am not drinking beer from a CAN and I am at home, I do not mind bottles. I am somewhat curious to try the entire Dundee oeuvre and I recently found singles of most of the ones that I have not previously reviewed.

From the bottle: "Dark and Drinkable"; "Let's say you up and decide to throw a wooden barrel of ale in a public display of manliness. (I know, just go with it.) How then to celebrate? Hint: You're holding the answer. That's right, a Dundee Stout. "Stout" is, after all, what brewers have been calling the darkest, heaviest and 'burliest' of their ales since 18th century England. That said, ours is sweet, creamy and ironically, pretty light in texture. So maybe the tough part's not lifting it after all. The tough part's putting it down once you have. Go figure."

My pour resulted in two fingers of deep-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep dark-brown, allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose had a dark chocolate tang to it along with a mildly grassy hoppiness. Mouthfeel was indeed, full and creamy, so kudos for truth in advertising! It had a very chocolaty flavor was was reminiscent of a chocolate shake, especially given the mouthfeel. Finish was still very sweet so I would make this more of a dessert beer than a sessionable one. Still, not bad.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

2.45/5  rDev -30%

Poured into a balloon glass! I don't know why. The beer is midnight black, the color of lost souls. An off-white head recedes to a wisp rather too quickly. No lacing exists. The beer smells musty, metallic, and nothing like a stout. The beer tastes like wet concrete. The mouthfeel is watery.

Overall, massively disappointed! I tend to like all that Dundee have to offer. I love my stouts though and they tried to sneak one by me here, assuming I wouldn't notice their passiveness. Worst Dundee beer.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

4.55/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

appearance - 4.5/5 - Pours a 2 finger off white head. Very dark, but not completely black.

smell - 4.5/5 - Smells sweet and roasty.

taste - 4.5/5 - It has a nice roasty flavor and a malt profile that both perfectly match the aromas. It has a nice dry bite to it.

mouthfeel - 5/5 - Moderate amount of carbonation lets the roasty flavors stick out while enhancing the dry bite.

overall - 4.5/5 - A very solid stout that's not too heavy but not wimpy. It definitely focuses on roasty malts!

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Dundee Stout from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 30.7% out of 100 with 254 ratings