Mountain Brew Beer Ice | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Mountain Brew Beer IceMountain Brew Beer Ice

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by mstyne on 05-17-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.6/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

2.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Okay in a pinch not really worth it if you can get something else

1.46/5  rDev -46.3%

This beer fesses up to what it is, junk. If you look on the can, there's a stick figure puking...which is precisely what you will be doing after consuming this stuff. but at 2.99 for a 6 pack, I would expect nothing else. It was cold, it was wet and it tasted acidic (almost metallic). Had an odd haze to it which was slightly concerning...

2.35/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.61/5  rDev -4%

1.75/5  rDev -35.7%

2.11/5  rDev -22.4%

Mountain Brew makes it cool to be a bad beer. Oh yeah! With it's hilarious branding of stick figures doing sports; you wonder if you can actually play volleyball or swim after one can of this potent goodness. If you're looking to score big on the buzz after a few cans which will probably cost you a measly $2.50, you can't go wrong. Don't let the moment escape you to have a cold mountain brew in your hand around all of your friends. They'll think you're really cool.

2.25/5  rDev -17.3%

1.84/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Mountain Brew- A very cool brew! A popular favorite among very broke college students. The only thing cheaper is Walgreen's Big Flats beer. Both are contract brewed by Genesee in Rochester, NY

Reluctant to pour this in anything and taste it, but here goes.
Poured from a 12 oz can into pint glass. One finger fizzy head that recedes as I type. Lots of carbonation.

A- Very Pale, not meant to be admired visually I would guess.

S- Metal and Alcohol. Not intrigued.

T- Very sweet, as it is an ice beer with 5.9% ABV. Metallic aftertaste. Not complex at all, one beer flavored note, no hint of hops or anything that actually went into making this.

M- sticky and fizzy. Is kind of burning my stomach from all of the fizz.

O- Might buy for friends I don't like very much. Not really familiar with ice beers, but this is not so good. If I'm on the cheap to the point I'd drink this I'd either buy a soda or save a few more bucks and get some tall PBR cans. Lesson learned, but will try the new light version once I can post a page for it.

3.5/5  rDev +28.7%

2.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Cans purchased at Stewarts Shops in Delmar, NY. Genesee makes this classic only for Stewarts!

Pours out super light, looks almost like water. Like a mountain stream or something! Pretty fizzy.

Smells like nothing. Some corn like extract aromas are weak, thankfully.

Also tastes basically like nothing. It isn't particularly offensive, until it warms up. There is a very slight marginal bitter bite at the end of each sip.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel. High carbonation.

This brings back a lot of funny memories, doesn't mean it's any good though.

3.26/5  rDev +19.9%

This is quite a thing of beauty, in the eyes of a select few, at least. Taken at "face-value," this is simply a cheap beer with mediocre taste, with a great value no one can deny. However, this beer seems to have a heavenly aura surrounding it that even the most expensive of microbrews lack.

This beer, at 3 dollars and some change for a six pack, with a respectable 5.5 ABV, represents a cheap getaway. Relaxation, stress-relief, and for some, meditation, can be had so cheaply and conveniently-a quick trip to Stewarts, maybe picking up a 1 dollar energy drink or sandwich if you're loaded, and you are on the road to inebriation. In style I might add.

One thing about this beer that some might not realize is that it truly its best when consumed in the great outdoors, even if that means car-camping. It is when graced with the tender touch of nature that this beer really shines. To truly experience the splendor of a Mountain Brew Beer Ice, it is suggested that you buy a six-pack, and sit around a fire for a few hours with friends. Or by yourself. This beer has an odd tendency to bring feelings of elation to the drinker when consumed outside.

In summary, this is a great beer. It's legitimacy and special place it holds in the hearts of those few with absolutely discernible taste cannot be quantified by the rating of its "taste," or it's "smell." Sure, this beer has those characteristics, but that is not what the Mountain Brew Beer Ice experience is about. Those who know, know.

1.5/5  rDev -44.9%

2.33/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Tawny bronzed golden ( a sort of dark urine color), clear with a few sort of odd looking floaties, fair size bright white head that falls pretty quick, but keeps a fair skim.

S: Adjunct sweetness and tons of floral & fruity lager esters. Perhaps some of the flowery aspect is from hops, but it is hard to tell. It is a rich scent with fair potency, but not really appealing.

T: Adjunct & adjunct sweetness, grainy malts, estery sweetness, background herbal & floral hops. A bit richer in the malts and the adjunct impact than usual (non-ice) macro lagers. Not the worst macro ice or even macro in general, but still not really good.

M: Just a touch over medium and the though the carbonation does seem fairly well matched it does sit a bit heavy. Slick, almost oily somehow, and with some sticky sugars. Some hop drying in the finish.

D: Sort of a concentrated and slightly amped-up version of an American adjunct lager. Clearly leaning heavy on marketing rather than product.

1.83/5  rDev -32.7%

Sometimes, for no particular reason, something just catches your eye. The “WOW!” display in Stewarts convenience store caught my eye. One night during our ADK vacation, we were in Stewarts, getting the kids ice cream, when I saw a display for what liked generic cola in a plain silver can with script writing. But, the can and the display sign had the word "beer" on it. What in the hell? That couldn't be, because it was 75 cents a can or $2.99 for a six pack – less than Diet Coke. It had to be birch beer or root beer or something. This curiosity called for closer inspection.

Holy crap, it is beer – it’s a new beer by Genesee called Mountain Brew Beer Ice. Yeah, say that a few times: Mountain Brew Beer Ice, Mountain Beer Brew Ice. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue now does it? The name is as nonsensical as the packaging is butt ugly. Three bucks??? The kids’ ice cream cones cost more! And, the icing on this marketing campaign (no pun intended) is that there was a big sign above the cooler in back which read, "Cheaper than Budweiser and more alcohol. Try it!" I kid you not. I almost laughed out loud right there. I guess the slogan, "Hey, kids, it's cheap and it'll get you drunk," was shot down as being too obvious.

What the heck; I bought a can of MBBI. It came to 86 cents with tax and the NY recycling deposit on the aluminum can included.

I thought of pouring it into a glass, to do the review justice. However, I couldn’t find suitable stemware for a beer of this class at the vacation house. So, I decided just to sit down by the pool in an Adirondack chair and swill it from the can – undoubtedly as Genesee intended MBBI to be drunk. I popped the top with a satisfying “pfish”. I let it breath for about 5 seconds … mainly to allow any pent up toxins to escape. I took a breath and took a hearty swig.

The first reaction was that it was fizzy. Very fizzy; it burned a little bit going down. It tasted like you’d expect a cheap yellow fizzy beer to taste like – somewhere between rank Mountain Dew and Coors Light. Since, I was pulling this straight from the can, I cannot say much for its “nose”. From what I could detect, it smelled faintly like the floor of my fraternity house after a college kegger.

To be fair, I looked at what other reviewers had to say. One Beer Advocate had this to say, "smells like dirty socks and tastes like rotten bologna." That’s one opinion. My summation is thus: It was 93 degrees and muggy. I was thirsty. It was cold. It wasn’t disgusting. I drank the whole thing. I’d sooner drink this 50 cent beer (by the 6-pack) than a similarly blandly processed Budweiser.

Lastly, after a few more sips, I started belching uncontrollably after every other swallow. Yes, give Genesee credit. As their advertising reveals, they clearly know there market. Mountain Brew Beer Ice is aimed squarely at the Homer Simpsons of the world.

3.38/5  rDev +24.3%

the Dauber here:::

last week we just come back from Stewarts shops with a some 6er of there the Mountain Ice beer that stewart make now. I done gone to the stewart on south main street in gloversville. them peoples real nice in there and that cougar in there good lookin to. i done got 6 mountain beers each for me and Kenny. and gone back Meco way to drink them with my buddy kenny. we had the flannel shirts goin cuz its mighty cold. we drank the beers Caroga style.

I aint never seen this beer bfpre so we was lookin for word to tie in one on. it says that 5.5. beers are in one can but I dont think that right, when we drank the beer it was real good. i done poor one in the cup to see what color it is and it was beer colored and had the foam so it look good to me. me and kenny drank them pretty fast cuz they was so good. kenny done heard from some guy in Ephratah that Genny make the mounhtain ice and i believe that guy cuz this beer taste so good. we done had our 6ers then took the F-350 back to stewart and get more mountian beers

alls im sayin is if you like the genny beers you gonna love the mountain ice beer at stewart shop

i like stewart shop a lot even though stewart kid Brad Dake is a W.I.P.

enjoy them mountain ices!

2.5/5  rDev -8.1%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Mountain Brew Beer Ice from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.