Dundee Pilsner | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Dundee PilsnerDundee Pilsner

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States | website

Style: German Pilsener

Availability: Spring

Added by kbnooshay on 04-06-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 53 | Ratings: 198
3.94/5  rDev +18.3%

Sorry, I drink out of the bottle and seldom pour beer into a glass, so I have no idea of the "look" of this beer. I sampled this out of a seasonal 12 pack sample; there were 3 pilsners included. I drank one Dundee pilsner early, came back a week later and drank the other two back to back.

I liked this beer, but I like pilsners. This one tasted clean, had just the right bite, and left my mouth feeling clean after each drink. A nice malt aftertaste too. Dundee is a bit cheaper price than beers I normally buy, so this pilsner is making me wish my local stores carried it. I normally keep my beer consumption to two-at-a-time, but this is one of those beers that makes me want to cross the line and go for 3 or 4! A good solid "B" for score.

(EDIT: I just read a fellow review and they made mention of the "Genny" aftertaste they'd noted with Dundee beers. I noted this also, much more prevalent with their pale ale, but somewhat so with this pilsner. I quckly got used to it. I didn't find it too intrusive.)

3.53/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty funny that with the success of the Sam Adams noble Pils Dundee releases a pilsner that happens to have a bright lime green label similar to the color used on the Sam Adams product. This one pours a pale bubbly straw golden hue with a bright white thicket of head forming chunky sporadic lacing. Aroma has a light cereal malt bill with hints of cooked veggies and a slight mineral water note. Also citrus/herbal hops are mild but evident. Price point is great 12.99 a 12 pack with a pale, kolsch, bock, and pilsner. I believe this beer replaces the porter at least during the warmer summer months. Again decent mix of flavor light refreshing nice for what it is, not the best end all of pilsnes but a solid offering from Dundee. Mouthfeel is light bodied with even but sturdy carbonation nothing cloying finishes mildly sweet with herbal/citric hops giving it a drying effect on the palate.

3.8/5  rDev +14.1%

This is from the new seasonal pack.

I've said it once and I will say it again. I love the design system that Dundee has going here! Each beer has a different color and illustration. Brands like Weyerbacher could learn something. Green bottle with a fat monk leaping and carrying a beer.

Body is a as clear as can be straw yellow color with a good amount of carbonation. Large white head is a good combination of frothy and foamy. Nice sheets of lacing forming.

Aroma is nice. I picked up peppery notes, apple and other fruitiness. Light hop scent to the nose.

Oh noooo. This has a little of that Genny taste that most Dundee/Genny pale beers all have. But this is decent. Hops are apparent enough, floral and peppery.

This is pretty refreshing though, and a hell of a lot better than the macro offerings like Bud or Labatt while being less snobby than a overrated wanker like Victory Prima Pils.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Dundee Pilsner from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.