Dundee Nut Brown Ale | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Nut Brown AleDundee Nut Brown Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by Jadjunk on 09-14-2011

1.75/5  rDev -47.6%

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

2.36/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a translucent brown color with a rocky off-white head of 2.5 fingers. Retention is very good, and the head leaves a good bit of lacing, though it seems over-carbonated.

S - Toasted malt, caramel, cream and light bittering hops. Simple and mild. I hope the nuts come through on the tongue.

T - A watery open gives to light nutty tones (though I wouldn't pick it out as hazelnut). It's got a bland malty body that really doesn't do anything for the beer. I don't really find any hops notes. The beer's got a really strange metallic aftertaste that further hinders any subtle notes that may be present. Very poorly executed.

M - Highly carbonated, medium bodied, thick, and has a strange tongue coating finish to go along with the metallic note.

D - Really just not very good in any aspect. Maybe this sampler pack wasn't the best one to pick...

2.51/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear brown with a red tint, nice inch+ off white head.

Not much on the nose, a little sweet caramel malt, nothing off or bad
just rather plain.

Taste: caramel malt, hint of nuts, a little bitterness at the end. Again not a lot going on.

Body is too light and watery for me.

I got 3 of these in a variety pack and will drink them however I will not seek out again. Nothing off about this one it's just very plain and boring. BTW I like the style.

2.68/5  rDev -19.8%

#114. By a matter of sheer coincidence, Dundee happens to be that "go to" brew when I'm in a financial pinch. I was pleased to find this amongst a 12 pack variety craft blend that was on sale for $10.99. That's like... less than $1 a bottle, which probably makes this one of the cheapest "craft" beers, next to the Honey Brown, also brewed by Genessee. Here goes a beer they advertised as being "new" in this craft pack.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (twist off!) into a beer clean pint glass. Served at 47 degrees Fahrenheit. I'd go with at least 47 degrees before the pour, as it seemed to make a difference second time around (yes, I reviewed it again).

(Appearance) The head was not bad. I got a 2 finger depth frothy consistency after a rather vigorous pour. The lacing is light, but at there's certainly something there. Color is a pretty solid translucent brown, about two shades lighter than weak coffee, very clear. You can still see through it, but barely. There doesn't appear to be much carbonation. I don't Imagine that presentation is key when it comes to a ~$1 beer, but it certainly isn't the worst pour I've ever had. 3

(Smell) It's tough to tell, but you can get a tiny whiff of sweet caramel malts, and maybe some roasty chocolate, cream and toffee aromas. I can't really smell the Williamette hops or any "nutty" smells amongst much else. One of the weakest point of this brew is the fact that it is barely potent enough to get an accurate interpretation, even as it warms up. 2.5

(Taste) There is a good bit of roasted caramel flavor graced with a lightly tart bitter, perhaps nutty finish. There is a good deal of bitter and sweet here, swinging more to the bitter however based off of the finish. Evident alcohol tones peek in every few sips; it's not very well hidden and could improve here more. The ultimate downside here is that there not much substance to enjoy even if the brew tasted great; It's very watered down. As it warms the flavors improve a little in their intensity, but overall it still is far from a masterfully done brown ale. It's pretty much sweet caramel, bitter nut and alcohol in the end and not much in between. 3

(Mouthfeel) Quite smooth, a little bit creamy. There isn't much action on the tongue other than the slight alcohol sting that I get from time to time. Maybe there should be more carbonation to pep this up some. The body is too light from being slightly on the watery side and should be something more dense than that. The alcohol tastes are also easy to find and should be snuck away better. Weak here. 2

(Overall) I reviewed this beer TWICE (yes I had a second immediately following to make sure my largely negative first review was as accurate as possible). I just didn't find this beer to be super interesting. I've had much better brown ales and I failed to find much substance to this beer. I'm not at much loss, however, as this was only about $1 in the end. I feel pretty chipper about trying something new. I'd suggest trying it anyway as I have spent far more for beers that I turned out to be disappointed with. In the end you'll either like it or hate it. 2.5

Genessee Brewing Company's
Dundee Nut Brown Ale:
C- (2.7)

2.73/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a mahogany color, decent head to it. Not much aroma to this one.. at all. Taste is medium bodied, not the best of mouthfeels. Taste has a bit of nuttiness and roastiness in it, with a tinge of hops, seem a bit out of balance. Finishes somewhat clean... pretty average, if not below average brown ale. One of my more liked styles, but this one doesn't really do it for me. Luckily it's part of a mixed pack and the other ones have been pretty good, I'd pass on this in the future.

2.8/5  rDev -16.2%

2.87/5  rDev -14.1%

2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

nonic.

a - pours a crystal clear deep copper color and gave me a thin cap of off white head that dissipated almsot immediately. leaves behind a thin film and a few thin legs of lacing.

s - brown sugar, raisin, faint peppery hops and wet cardboard.

t - carmel malt with more of that peppery hop character. very dry finish. not much going on here.

m - medium, slightly chewy, plenty of carbonation. co2 profile is a bit on the coarse side.

o - mediocre in every way, but very drinkable. comes off as a malt bomb with nothing to set it apart style wise. not bad for the price, but not one i would drink often.

Dundee Nut Brown Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.